Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14555307 times)

duckduck, Vince, Aiy, wkb and 28 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #30475 on: April 30, 2019, 10:53:53 pm »
:o I wouldn't even want that on my bench. Something may crawl out of it and bite me.  :scared:

I've had the same thought with some old gear. :scared: :-DD

Man, if med says it is toast, I know I am tiltin' at windmills.  :-DD

I wish there were a way to test some of the boards. I may save them as "give 'em a try if you dare" swap-ins"  In any case, I will strip it in the garage so as not to frighten the gear on my bench.  ;D

It might clean up better than you think. I was reading an article in an old Tektronix magazine of some kind a while back about how they disassembled, totally cleaned, reassembled, and returned to service 'scopes belonging to the AEC (before DOE existed) that were contaminated from being in proximity to nuclear testing operations. That's about the worst mess I can think of to have a piece of test equipment contaminated with and successfully cleaned, and back in service.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #30476 on: April 30, 2019, 10:55:55 pm »
Should have a few custom TEA bags printed up and include one with the letter;
https://www.goimprints.com/product/custom-tea-bags-550340370/

That's neat. Minimum order is 500 bags ($270). The single unit price is for blank samples, which I assume is for tasting the tea.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #30477 on: April 30, 2019, 11:18:39 pm »
:o I wouldn't even want that on my bench. Something may crawl out of it and bite me.  :scared:

I wish there were a way to test some of the boards. I may save them as "give 'em a try if you dare" swap-ins"  In any case, I will strip it in the garage so as not to frighten the gear on my bench.  ;D

It might clean up better than you think. I was reading an article in an old Tektronix magazine of some kind a while back about how they disassembled, totally cleaned, reassembled, and returned to service 'scopes belonging to the AEC (before DOE existed) that were contaminated from being in proximity to nuclear testing operations. That's about the worst mess I can think of to have a piece of test equipment contaminated with and successfully cleaned, and back in service.

I read the two Tek articles on washing equipment and considered giving it a try, after all, what do I have to lose? The problem is it looks like it sat outside in the rain. All of the springs on the push buttons are rusted, as are most of the exposed screws and metal pots. I'd probably have to replace most of the mechanical hardware in addition to whatever fixin' the electronics might need. Not to mention the condition of the case, which would certainly test my limited metalworking skills.

Personally, the challenge for me is not taking this on as a project. The more busted stuff is, the more I generally like it.  ::)
specialization is for insects.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30478 on: April 30, 2019, 11:21:33 pm »
That Bundle Kosmic posted looks worth the drive  ;D Go on do it you are 'retired' and have time >:D

I'm already running out of room and I can't save it all alone.  :-DD

2 hours drive on my side. If I go down there, I'm going to have a fun time explaining to the border officer why my car is full of crap on my way back  :-DD

Could not resist anymore. I had to go down there today. Good thing I have Hatchback. I was able to load everything in the car  :phew:

So the seller of this lot told me he got the equipment with a house he bought (the house was sold with everything that was inside). The house was owed by an old engineer from IBM (The Tek 845 scope has a IBM Tag). Apparently, everything was still plugged-in and setup on his bench when the house was cleaned and emptied last year. I guess he passed away and somehow everything was sold.

I'm both super exited and sad at the same time that the full content of the workbench of someone like me was sold for 150$  :-\
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 11:53:21 pm by Kosmic »

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30479 on: April 30, 2019, 11:23:42 pm »

I read the two Tek articles on washing equipment and considered giving it a try, after all, what do I have to lose? The problem is it looks like it sat outside in the rain. All of the springs on the push buttons are rusted, as are most of the exposed screws and metal pots. I'd probably have to replace most of the mechanical hardware in addition to whatever fixin' the electronics might need. Not to mention the condition of the case, which would certainly test my limited metalworking skills.

Personally, the challenge for me is not taking this on as a project. The more busted stuff is, the more I generally like it.  ::)

That is super sad it was allowed to sit outside like that.  >:( Oh well, it's not like that model is extremely uncommon.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #30480 on: May 01, 2019, 12:09:33 am »
You know, I was thinking the other day about snail mail. How about I send a good ol' greeting card? Since it's impractical to pass one around, if you want to include a short message with your forum name and, optionally, your real one, either

1. PM me your info and message and I'll transcribe it onto the card.
2. If you want to have it in your own handwriting, take a photo of your message and PM me the link. I'll download, print and stick it on the card or, for longer messages, enclose it whole.

Let's say have all PMs sent to me by Saturday, so I have a little time to assemble it to mail out on Monday.

PM sent.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #30481 on: May 01, 2019, 12:13:44 am »
Do I see a Tek 485 and a Power Designs PSU? If so, you have bagged two of my favourite pieces of equipment.

Yep Tek 485 and Power Designs 2005a. With everybody posting about analog scope I wanted want too  ;D

Will post more pictures once I'm done sorting everything.

A 485? Holy crap.....I should have made the trip. Oh well. You scored. :-+ :-+ Mnem...he deserves a jimmy gat or whatever you call it.

The following users thanked this post: Kosmic

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #30482 on: May 01, 2019, 12:14:52 am »

I've had the same thought HAPPEN with some old gear. :scared:

And I'm not talking my days in the appliance shop, where you get used to keeping a big spray bottle of Zep within reach whenever you open up a washer or dryer...  I've been bit by centipedes, scorpions and brown recluse. Found a dead black widow in a VCR once... you better believe I jumped back when I flipped that little critter over while brushing out the corner of the case. For hours, every time I closed my eyes I'd see that shiny red hourglass.  :phew:

Of course, none of that compares to my ol' 55 Nomad; it had a nest of yellow jackets that filled half the spare tire compartment, and I didn't discover it until vibration from the motor woke the nest the fist time I started the old beast. I was totally engrossed with finessing the gas pedal to keep it running when I swatted away something buzzing next to my ear.

That hornet picked itself up and stared me down from atop the dash, moving its head the way they do. Then I spied the cloud of wings in the rear view mirror, realized what what going on and bolted like a jackrabbit for the porch across the driveway.  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~> :scared:

The car idled roughly, but kept running for more than half an hour before I choked it to death and pulled a battery terminal.  :o That was the beginning of a beautiful "car and her boy" love story; but that's a tale for another time. ;)

mnem
She was also the only Chevy I ever got along with.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #30483 on: May 01, 2019, 12:15:24 am »
Came across this lovely looking Tek 2430A on an auction site I was going to put an offer down on it then I noticed the rear view  :palm:

I doubt there's any internal damage. It's solid metal across the back.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30484 on: May 01, 2019, 12:21:36 am »
   So the seller of this lot told me he got the equipment with a house he bought (the house was sold with everything that was inside). The house was owed by an old engineer from IBM (The Tek 845 scope has a IBM Tag). Apparently, everything was still plugged-in and setup on his bench when the house was cleaned and emptied last year. I guess he passed away and somehow everything was sold.

I'm both super exited and sad at the same time that the full content of the workbench of someone like me was sold for 150$  :-\ 

I live in fear that when I die, my wife will sell all my Tools, RC Radios, Airplanes, Quadcopters & Test Equipment for what I told her they cost.  :o

mnem
It's only money.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #30485 on: May 01, 2019, 12:21:39 am »

That is super sad it was allowed to sit outside like that.  >:( Oh well, it's not like that model is extremely uncommon.

You can tell it's been out in the weather. The front panel lettering is faded as well as the extensive rust. It's not worth saving except for parts.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #30486 on: May 01, 2019, 12:32:19 am »
Kosmic.......once you get everything sorted I might be interested in that Heathkit 3 inch scope shown on the left in your pix.

That is....if you're willing to sell.  :-DD If you are please post a pix of the outside and inside.  :-+

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30487 on: May 01, 2019, 12:41:31 am »
Do I see a Tek 485 and a Power Designs PSU? If so, you have bagged two of my favourite pieces of equipment.
Yep Tek 485 and Power Designs 2005a. With everybody posting about analog scope I wanted want too  ;D

Will post more pictures once I'm done sorting everything.

Well and truly earned!  :-+

mnem
*currently plotting to sell the motor from my old Saturn*

The following users thanked this post: Kosmic

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30488 on: May 01, 2019, 12:47:53 am »
Kosmic.......once you get everything sorted I might be interested in that Heathkit 3 inch scope shown on the left in your pix.

That is....if you're willing to sell.  :-DD If you are please post a pix of the outside and inside.  :-+

Yep, I was about to contact you about it. The outside is really in bad shape though. Rust and everything   :-\

Will try to take some close shots tonight.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30489 on: May 01, 2019, 01:16:45 am »
https://youtu.be/xc2HKX6XwiA

Dammit... now I have PSU envy...  :o

mnem
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 01:19:08 am by mnementh »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #30490 on: May 01, 2019, 01:41:50 am »
So in the wee small hours of the morning I brought a bit of TEA gear that will land at over $220 USD and may or may not work and is wired 110V and not our local 240V. To make it worse it only generates one static calibration reference. - What am I?  ;D

And nothing to do with TEA but I gave away my last Bottle Opener so todays production is a dozen more .... :popcorn:
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #30491 on: May 01, 2019, 01:47:56 am »

Yep, I was about to contact you about it. The outside is really in bad shape though. Rust and everything   :-\

Will try to take some close shots tonight.

No hurry....whenever you get the chance. Thanks!  :-+

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30492 on: May 01, 2019, 04:08:47 am »
The Heathkit Oscilloscope. It look worst then it is I think. The outside is really dirty. There is rust on the metal part around the screen. Med, if you want it, it's yours. Just cover shipping.

The following users thanked this post: beanflying

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30493 on: May 01, 2019, 04:28:00 am »
Even came with spare valves  ;) Worthy of a minimal tidy up recap and stuff it on the shelf even if it never gets used I reckon. Patina to spare  ;D

Next time I decide to buy a second hand road case I won't. Several hours later and still several to go  |O
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 04:30:56 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30494 on: May 01, 2019, 04:50:20 am »
Wow, that looks rather nasty.  :o

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30495 on: May 01, 2019, 06:26:11 am »

The Scope or the Case or both  ;) Decomposed Foam is a PITA add to that contact type glue of some sort used to hold it in place. The front cover of my 453 was similar but an easier clean.

Multitasking at work while the fixed line internerd has been down all day :rant:.

On a list of 101 thing to do with an inanimate Possum  :horse: and an equally useless $0.01 coin. 4.30pm is testing time.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30496 on: May 01, 2019, 06:28:05 am »

The Scope or the Case or both  ;) Decomposed Foam is a PITA add to that contact type glue of some sort used to hold it in place. The front cover of my 453 was similar but an easier clean.

snip

I didn't see a Scope, so the Case it is.  :-DD [edit] That 1727A I just got came with the little plastic case for the contrast lens thing, and the foam inside is powder.  :palm:

[edit] I now see you were referring to the Heathkit scope above. It does look rather well covered in grime.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 06:32:35 am by 0culus »

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #30497 on: May 01, 2019, 06:33:10 am »
... and an equally useless $0.01 coin.

Hey - it's not completely useless.  100 of them are still worth a dollar.  You may not be able to use them to buy your lunch - but you can still take them to the bank for full face value!

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30498 on: May 01, 2019, 06:39:24 am »
... and an equally useless $0.01 coin.

Hey - it's not completely useless.  100 of them are still worth a dollar.  You may not be able to use them to buy your lunch - but you can still take them to the bank for full face value!

At an estimated 2 minutes to count 100 of them not to mention time spent going to and waiting at the bank they would need a face value of $0.05 to make minimum wage  ;)

Slurp Mmmm Beer Good testing round one complete ........  ;D

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30499 on: May 01, 2019, 06:57:27 am »
A $0.01 coin, much like our 1p, costs more to move around and handle than its worth. They're doing away with them here soon apparently.

Which is a bugger because I tend to glue lots of them into things to add some weight as they're the cheapest way of doing it!  :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf