Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14549554 times)

ProtonFox, powerflux, SashPlane, Gertjan, Wolfgang and 15 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #30550 on: May 02, 2019, 05:51:41 am »
I'm not so upset that I didn't win it - that's always on the cards.  I'm just mightily annoyed I didn't get my arse back in front of the computer in time to play.

Sigh .... It's better to have loved and lost ...    (that's not weird, is it?)

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #30551 on: May 02, 2019, 05:53:45 am »
I do have one recent acquisition, though, that may have overdelivered.

Needs a photo (yet to be taken) for a proper introduction.    :-[

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #30552 on: May 02, 2019, 06:01:20 am »
I just added a Decade Inductor to complete my RL&C collection lowish offer was accepted  :) Teamed with the 10mH accurate standard our MIA Inverted18650 sent me as a reference point will work well together.

Made by Danbridge out of Denmark nothing known about accuracy or othewrwise.

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: grizewald

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30553 on: May 02, 2019, 06:43:03 am »
Tonight I actually read the SMM for the Solartron 7150 Plus meters and it seems I have been under the misapprehension that these beasts could be calibrated using the front panel controls, boy how wrong was I? :palm:

While it is perfectly possible self calibrate these meters if you have the right quality of reference signals, you have to use the GPIB interface, which I don't have so I'll have to live with the slight discrepancies between the readings and in any case they are certainly close enough for my requirements and while I like the allure of more digits on my meters, absolute accuracy is not paramount for me, 3 or 4 decimal places is plenty of resolution for my limited uses.

I have zero interest in falling into the black hole or rabbit hole thank you very much  :-DD :-DD :-DD

For things like this I bought a cheap USB-to-GPIB converter:

Works fine under Linux as a serial device. Haven't done much with it, though. So I don't know if or how the more 'interesting' parts like SRQ are working.

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30554 on: May 02, 2019, 07:26:13 am »
Another day in the Solartron week.

Today we're going to take a look at the 7060.
Despite the name's (can a number even be called a name?) vicinity to the 7061, and a superficially similar appearance, they're not really from the same family.

Let us start with some good points: The power switch is right where it belongs, in a corner at the front. The instrument has (good) feet and a tilt stand.

Yes, this one illuminates the user with a red 7-segment display. As a polite english citizen, it greets him or her with 'HELLO' right after switching it on (not shown here).
What is shown is my now customary 10.0 V reference. Like the 7150's, it has a 6x9 switch. When activated, we get another digit:

And there it stops. When I tried to do the resistance tests, I noticed that all function 'keys' but VDC were marked. Indeed, pressing them elicits a "NO FUNCn" for a short time, and that was that. So this big bloody machine is very close to the A200 - DC volts only. No way it is going to get a space on my measurement wagon, much less the workbench!

Nevertheless, let us take a look at the inside:

The empty space is presumably where the missing functions could be installed, but the person ordering this thing obviously deemed them superfluous.
However, it does have a 'Minate interface' - for whatever that is.

Underneath this interface (consisting mostly of empty PCB space) is the PSU, which has apparently seen some recapping:

A more detailed view of the analogue part:

Not quite as neat as the 7061's, but still very likeable.

I've got no choice: This will go into storage without an attempt to calibrate it (this is also common with the A200: there's absolutely nothing whatsoever to be found about it on the net).

But: The feet, tilt stand and handle might fit with the 7061, which would be most grateful to have them, as it is lacking those!

To be continued ...

The following users thanked this post: kj7e, grizewald

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30555 on: May 02, 2019, 07:53:31 am »
Another day in the Solartron week.

Today we're going to take a look at the 7060.
Despite the name's (can a number even be called a name?) vicinity to the 7061, and a superficially similar appearance, they're not really from the same family.

Let us start with some good points: The power switch is right where it belongs, in a corner at the front. The instrument has (good) feet and a tilt stand.

Yes, this one illuminates the user with a red 7-segment display. As a polite english citizen, it greets him or her with 'HELLO' right after switching it on (not shown here).
What is shown is my now customary 10.0 V reference. Like the 7150's, it has a 6x9 switch. When activated, we get another digit:

And there it stops. When I tried to do the resistance tests, I noticed that all function 'keys' but VDC were marked. Indeed, pressing them elicits a "NO FUNCn" for a short time, and that was that. So this big bloody machine is very close to the A200 - DC volts only. No way it is going to get a space on my measurement wagon, much less the workbench!

Nevertheless, let us take a look at the inside:

The empty space is presumably where the missing functions could be installed, but the person ordering this thing obviously deemed them superfluous.
However, it does have a 'Minate interface' - for whatever that is.

Underneath this interface (consisting mostly of empty PCB space) is the PSU, which has apparently seen some recapping:

A more detailed view of the analogue part:

Not quite as neat as the 7061's, but still very likeable.

I've got no choice: This will go into storage without an attempt to calibrate it (this is also common with the A200: there's absolutely nothing whatsoever to be found about it on the net).

But: The feet, tilt stand and handle might fit with the 7061, which would be most grateful to have them, as it is lacking those!

To be continued ...
Nice looking meter, love the LEDs on the buttons BUT as you said, the other bits to make it a candidate for bench space are missing. Why oh why did have the functions as options, it's like the Flukes of the day, they had current (AC & DC), ACV & Resistance as options WTF.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30556 on: May 02, 2019, 08:10:46 am »
I think the optional nature of those was a lot of the meters were used as just voltmeters in test systems so it made a higher sales volume due to lower capital cost.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #30557 on: May 02, 2019, 08:50:31 am »
The Heathkit Oscilloscope. It look worst then it is I think. The outside is really dirty. There is rust on the metal part around the screen. Med, if you want it, it's yours. Just cover shipping.

As I thought. Heathkit OL-1 3 inch scope. Thanks for taking the pictures. She's rough but she'll clean up. Obviously every one of those tubular caps will have to be replaced. That's a given. Probably many of the carbon comp resistors have drifted up too. Who ever wired it was kinda sloppy. There's only one thing that concerns me. That's not the original CRT. Original CRT was a 3GP1. That CRT is 3EP1 which I think is Russian. Please do me a favor. For some reason there's masking tape around the base of the CRT. Peel it back and there should be a silver "getter" like the tops of the tubes. Let me know if it's still silver. If it's grey or flaking off the CRT has air in it and no good.

If it's OK let me know how much to ship and I'll send you a postal money order.  :-+

I don't see the typical "getter". Did my best to take some close up pics. Hope you can see something.

I don't either but if the CRT had air in it the glass between the inner coating and the base would be dull so apparently it's OK. Thanks for taking the pictures.  :-+

OK.....I'll take it off your hands. Let me know via PM how much you want for shipping.  :-/O
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #30558 on: May 02, 2019, 09:13:05 am »
I do have one recent acquisition, though, that may have overdelivered.

I may have too. A Tek 1502b TDR came with a precision 3ft 50ohm cable. One is on sale on fleabay for more than I paid for the TDR.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #30559 on: May 02, 2019, 10:08:14 am »
It looks strangely edible, while the combination with coffee seems to defer it's very nature and purpose. Generally, I can only advise anyone to be EXTREMELY WARY of german culinary customs north of the river Main!

Speaking of making cakes: here are some examples of my production (this is another hobby of mine)  ;D

And yes, I DO live southern of the river Main.  8)
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30560 on: May 02, 2019, 10:34:52 am »
Stop making me feel hungry  :-DD

Seriously - excellent work.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #30561 on: May 02, 2019, 10:46:33 am »
Just finished Dinner will be around for Desert in a bit. Cheesecake Please  ;D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #30562 on: May 02, 2019, 11:09:28 am »

Thanks. Which is your favourite cake?

Btw, the cake left of the two cheese cream tarts is a roasting apple cake. This cake is the one, which all my friends likes most.  :)

And TEA with some cake is imho always a good idea.  ^-^
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30563 on: May 02, 2019, 11:27:57 am »
Anything German/Swiss with apple in it and I'm sold so that one  :-DD

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #30564 on: May 02, 2019, 11:36:35 am »
Anything German/Swiss with apple in it and I'm sold so that one  :-DD

Good choice.  :-+  And as a benefit, it contains a reasonable amount of Calvados  8)

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30565 on: May 02, 2019, 11:47:48 am »
Tonight I actually read the SMM for the Solartron 7150 Plus meters and it seems I have been under the misapprehension that these beasts could be calibrated using the front panel controls, boy how wrong was I? :palm:

While it is perfectly possible self calibrate these meters if you have the right quality of reference signals, you have to use the GPIB interface, which I don't have so I'll have to live with the slight discrepancies between the readings and in any case they are certainly close enough for my requirements and while I like the allure of more digits on my meters, absolute accuracy is not paramount for me, 3 or 4 decimal places is plenty of resolution for my limited uses.

Sure the 7150+ can be calibrated via the front panel! See Chapter 5 of the user manual.

It's the 7150 (no plus) which can't be calibrated from the front panel.
  Lord of Sealand

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30566 on: May 02, 2019, 12:15:52 pm »

Sure the 7150+ can be calibrated via the front panel! See Chapter 5 of the user manual.

It's the 7150 (no plus) which can't be calibrated from the front panel.
Doh, I must have been reading the wrong manual, I thought I had read it somewhere [emoji106]

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: grizewald

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #30567 on: May 02, 2019, 12:22:49 pm »
It looks strangely edible, while the combination with coffee seems to defer it's very nature and purpose. Generally, I can only advise anyone to be EXTREMELY WARY of german culinary customs north of the river Main!

Speaking of making cakes: here are some examples of my production (this is another hobby of mine)  ;D

My blood sugar level spiked just by looking at that.  :-DD

Excellent presentation. By chance do you enter baking contests?
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #30568 on: May 02, 2019, 12:28:07 pm »

Btw, the cake left of the two cheese cream tarts is a roasting apple cake. This cake is the one, which all my friends likes most.  :)

I just set a honeycrisp apple pie out to cool and the whole house smells of fructose, flaky butter crust & cinnamon. I'm a horrible cheater though... my local grocery has a half-decent bakery; I buy from them and crisp up the crust in my convection oven when I'm ready to eat it.

Apple pie with a slice of sharp cheddar melted on top & coffee with too much HWC for breakfast... yummmmm.

I LOVE my convection oven, never doubt.  *settles in with a good book*

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #30569 on: May 02, 2019, 12:38:19 pm »
[My blood sugar level spiked just by looking at that.  :-DD

Excellent presentation. By chance do you enter baking contests?

No, I don't. I'm not good enough for them. But that's okay, because important to me is that the people like my cakes.
My reward is looking on their happy faces. :)

Edit: Just for med: guess, what kind of cake this is:   >:D

« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 12:57:14 pm by BU508A »

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30570 on: May 02, 2019, 12:54:34 pm »

Wow! They look perfect! I certainly can't compete with that lot!

I'm now lusting for cakes and coffee.  :P

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30571 on: May 02, 2019, 12:56:34 pm »
Quote from: Ero-Shan on Yesterday at 09:52:05
(And don't ask me what 'GLUG' stands for - I haven't found the definition yet.)

It comes from "a small drink", such as when, if you were passing a mug of beer around and each person took a 'glug' from the mug so as to leave some for the next in line. The best definition by the engineers at Solartron is in this paragraph from the 7075 maintenance manual:

... Some guys' writing was extremely sloppy. They defended themselves by arrogantly proclaiming that their time was immensely valuable, so they couldn't proofread their hogwash or put a little more effort in while writing it in the first place. They thought that 1000 readers spending 2 minutes more each (trying to make out what was meant) was better than 5 minutes of their time. I decided to at least try to do better.

Of course, neither the long forgotten usenet nor this forum is a place for high class literature. I do not expect anyone to go to extremes. A little respect for the reader is all that is needed. We all make mistakes, typos and other blunders (especially those of us with a language barrier), but what I did not find here is disrespect. Thank you all for that!

I salute your dedication to the written word!  :-+

Regardless of where I am writing, I always strive to use both my mother tongue (British English) and my second language (Swedish) to the best of my ability. Those who insult the reader by forcing them to decode badly written, spelled and structured crap, just because "they don't have the time", get ignored.

As you so rightly say, it's about having respect for the reader.

Lord of Sealand

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #30572 on: May 02, 2019, 12:59:25 pm »

I just set a honeycrisp apple pie out to cool and the whole house smells of fructose, flaky butter crust & cinnamon. I'm a horrible cheater though... my local grocery has a half-decent bakery; I buy from them and crisp up the crust in my convection oven when I'm ready to eat it.

Apple pie with a slice of sharp cheddar melted on top & coffee with too much HWC for breakfast... yummmmm.

I LOVE my convection oven, never doubt.  *settles in with a good book*

mnem

Is it a Publix, by chance?  The Publix here has a great bakery for being in a grocery store.  BU, your work looks fantastic and probably tastes it also.  I am a good cook (not chef) but baking eludes me.  Probably because it is formulaic, where as when I am making Italian food, if the house smells like it did growing up, I have it right.  No recipes, playing with ingredients until it is there.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30573 on: May 02, 2019, 01:56:36 pm »
We're not done yet. The Solartron week continues ...

This one made me think about categories for test equipment. And I came up with:

Metrology grade
Laboratory grade
Workshop grade
Consumer grade

The 7061 clearly belongs to the laboratory grade, but the 7045, the topic of this post, has to be content with 'workshop grade', I'm afraid.

My little stack of 7045s:

The tilted front makes sense for desktop use, but is a nuisance when you want to stack things. They could have tilted without raising it, but made the wrong decision, IMHO. As the device is rather light, pressing on the front lifts the back.
The plastic is horrible. These are 3 I grabbed from several more. And each of them had severe issues with the housing, often they were held together by tape because the set-in nuts for the screws were cracked out of the plastics. Despite the light weight I had trouble lifting them from their resting space: The rubber feet stuck like hell to the underground. No good start trying to seduce me.  ???

I started with the uppermost, plugging in mains. Doesn't work. Lifting it, I find the mains plug falling out. What the ... What did they do here? The C14 receptable is recessed and my collared C13 plug can't be plugged in deep enough. Some designers really deserve some bashing.

Using another cable with a long plug the meter can be switched on and shows the 10.0 volts, or what it thinks the voltage is:

I have to confess that I actually plugged the test leads into the wrong sockets at first, because of the lousy lettering.

I won't bore you with the resistance measurements - they were awfully off.
Instead we'll take a look at the inside, like with the others:

There's a holder for 4 D size NiCd cells, luckily it is empty (and not even connected). Away it goes:

That's better. Clear signs of being recapped:

A tidy underside:

And crappy plastics:

The second and third worked better. Even the resistance measurement (1 kΩ) was good (Solartron seems to be good at this):

The underside clearly explains what the internal circuitry looks like for the DUT. Nicely done:

In comparison with e.g., the Fluke 8050A, the 7045's display is much better, but in all other respects I'd prefer the Fluke.
Your mileage may vary.

The following users thanked this post: kj7e, Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens, grizewald

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30574 on: May 02, 2019, 02:05:22 pm »
Quote from: Ero-Shan on Yesterday at 09:52:05
(And don't ask me what 'GLUG' stands for - I haven't found the definition yet.)

It comes from "a small drink", such as when, if you were passing a mug of beer around and each person took a 'glug' from the mug so as to leave some for the next in line. The best definition by the engineers at Solartron is in this paragraph from the 7075 maintenance manual:

When I read 'glug', the first thing that popped up in my mind was this: The onomatopoetic word for drinking, but that seemed just too remote.

As you so rightly say, it's about having respect for the reader.

Thank you very much. At least I'm not alone.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf