Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14556351 times)

Qw3rtzuiop and 33 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #30650 on: May 04, 2019, 04:11:54 am »
Same story here.

Garage has reached critical mass; it's fighting me with all it's got. If I can just power through a few more hot sticky afternoons, I'll make it to the downhill side; where I actually have enough room to work and get shit DONE.

Almost there. ALMOST.

mnem

Time for a shipping container on the front lawn because that is always a classy look ;D

Just paint it "Go Away Green". :-DD
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Carl_Smith

• Frequent Contributor
    • MegaMicroWatt - Carl Smith's Blog
« Reply #30651 on: May 04, 2019, 05:06:16 am »

There is another possible source for the concept: the "glug" point of an ideal bottle is a fluid dynamics concept; the point at which an inverted vessel full of liquid will "glug" due to the imbalance between atmospheric pressure and partial vacuum in the vessel created by the weight of the liquid.

I first heard of the "glug" as a unit of measurement when I was in Boy Scouts decades ago.  We had a pancake recipe and the amount of milk was something like "4 glugs."  Tip the gallon milk jug and wait until you hear "glug glug glug glug" and then stop. 

I can imagine the bakers that measure everything precisely cringing at that.    :)

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #30652 on: May 04, 2019, 05:17:54 am »
I spent the evening breaking down the trashed 466 I got last week.  As expected, there were a fair number of spider-webbed moths and bugs. Nothing moved, at least while I was watching.  :-DD

Unfortunately, it looks like the attenuator decks are trashed; water damage. Most of the other boards are in better condition than I expected. I will harvest some parts, I guess.

It went well while I was able to avoid dealing with the knobs... every last setscrew is rusted into place and soft to boot. I am going to have to drill them out, each and every one, if I want to finish deconstructing the box because everything in place now has a shaft through the front panel with a knob stuck on it or is behind a PCB with a shaft through the front panel with a knob stuck on it.

I took a lot of photos as I went. Should I put up a post of the deconstruction?

This was an evening of being nine again... sitting in the basement, taking an electronic something apart just because I want to see how it is put together. ;D
specialization is for insects.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30653 on: May 04, 2019, 05:36:24 am »
Ehhhhhh... it's a completely different design ethic; the polar opposite of mass-production. The point is that the connector itself be open as needed to be subject to visual inspection. This is the kind of gear where every unit is tested, inspected, and signed off on by a person before it is put into service or returned to service after repair/maintenance. Part of that "intended for use/service by trained technicians" thing.

This isn't an iPhone we're talking about, where a popped-loose connector is a mere annoyance.  ;)

mnem
 :popcorn:

To me, iPhones and their brethren are an annoyance. ;)
I'm commuting by train, which is like being in a mobile games arcade twice a day. When you're not an active part of it, those electronic chimes, bleeps, burps and whatever they may be called are extremely annoying! If all those speakers suddenly had bad contacts, that would be heaven.   >:D

Offline Housedad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30654 on: May 04, 2019, 08:02:53 am »
Same story here.

Garage has reached critical mass; it's fighting me with all it's got. If I can just power through a few more hot sticky afternoons, I'll make it to the downhill side; where I actually have enough room to work and get shit DONE.

Almost there. ALMOST.

mnem

My garage is my windmill.  I attack it savagely and repeatedly, but it sits solomly,  watching my meaningless frustrations with a grim humor, knowing full well that I will just undo my efforts with equal unwitting abandon.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 08:06:27 am by Housedad »
At least I'm still older than my test equipment

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30655 on: May 04, 2019, 08:29:56 am »
Same story here.

Almost there. ALMOST.

mnem

Time for a shipping container on the front lawn because that is always a classy look ;D
Huh, when Iever I get round to clearing my garage, which a dumping place for things no longer wanted in the house etc, it's always gonna be  a skip on my drive as I'm desperate to get  the stuff gone.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30656 on: May 04, 2019, 08:47:00 am »
I don’t have a garage but I do have a shed. And that’s the victim of a decade of decay as is the rest of the house. Decided last week that I’m going to shred this place to the basics so I’m taking a couple of weeks out of normal routine to sort it now my arm is better. Still got kids toys floating around from when they were 2 which was a long time ago now!

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #30657 on: May 04, 2019, 08:53:46 am »
Still got kids toys floating around from when they were 2 which was a long time ago now!
Be prepared for everything old becoming new...

My second son sought one specific gift for his 21st ..... Hungry, Hungry Hippos.

Yes.  He got it.

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #30658 on: May 04, 2019, 09:05:04 am »
Old stuff is good stuff  >:D May or may not be any good 'last used in 1975' but will be added to my good working pair I already have.

Crusty and slightly dangerous if consumed.

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30659 on: May 04, 2019, 10:43:55 am »
Old stuff is good stuff  >:D May or may not be any good 'last used in 1975' but will be added to my good working pair I already have.

Very nice. I wouldn't even know where to look for them ...

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30660 on: May 04, 2019, 10:53:29 am »
Now look what I've found in one of my drawers!

Does anyone know what that crosshair screen is for? Maybe for a scope camera? (I remember using one in my early days at the company.)

The others fit to a 5440 scope. Having two of them, I'd like to keep the blue and a clear one, but could give away the others, including the crosshair (maybe not all of them to one, except he/she redistributes them to others).

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30661 on: May 04, 2019, 11:10:24 am »

Most definitely not ROHS compliant  >:D The do come up on evilbay from time to time listed properly and tested they can go for a bit but this crusty trio I was the only bidder on @ $10 AUD ($7 USD) I am not fussed if they work or not they are a curio and collectable for me as I have a pair of good working ones.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
free range primate

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30663 on: May 04, 2019, 11:39:33 am »
Same story here.

Almost there. ALMOST.

mnem

Huh, when Iever I get round to clearing my garage, which a dumping place for things no longer wanted in the house etc, it's always gonna be  a skip on my drive as I'm desperate to get  the stuff gone.

my garage is a tea free zone. 

except for that damn Dumont porta scope.  it sits out there cold and alone in the hope that someday neo will dispatch ninja's and it will disappear in the middle of the night. 
free range primate

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30664 on: May 04, 2019, 11:52:22 am »

One in France if the seller will take an offer eBay auction: #352652284969

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30665 on: May 04, 2019, 11:57:30 am »
It is no great secret that I have a sweet spot for counters. All those many-digit numbers are so impressive! (They should have been more prominent in old scifi movies, but scopes with Lissajous figures reigned.)

Ever since a German electronics magazine named 'ELO' had a build-your-own-counter project in the late 70ies, I yearned for such an instrument (but could not afford it).
I finally got my first counter in 2016 (IIRC), almost 40 years later (the Philips at the far right, a little back).

This is something I always wanted to to. I am fully aware that it is nothing compared to nixiefreqq's 'counter cathedral', and it is not meant to be, as it's mainly for me.  ;)

I had to choose a rather low frequency since the lame Schurigs count only to 1 MHz:

Extra lighting was required so the LCD can even be seen. LCDs without a decent backlight are really shite.

I also had to make some free-style power cords to get them all running. Don't try this at home, kids! We're all careless non-professionals here!
It's not quite as bad as it looks, though; they're powered by an isolating variac.

And it is easy to see that I still need more counters: None of the VFD variety, no Dekatrons, no columns.  ;D

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, Cubdriver, kj7e

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #30666 on: May 04, 2019, 12:25:03 pm »
Same story here.

Almost there. ALMOST.

mnem

my garage is a tea free zone. 

except for that damn Dumont porta scope.  it sits out there cold and alone in the hope that someday neo will dispatch ninja's and it will disappear in the middle of the night.

You actually have a car in your garage?  Regularly?  Do people actually do that?  The only time my garage has seen a vehicle in the past 15 years is to put the company van in there when a hurricane was passing by and we have to make room to do so.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, nixiefreqq

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30667 on: May 04, 2019, 12:36:25 pm »

Did you got it shipped or found that locally ? I heard they rarely survive shipping.

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30668 on: May 04, 2019, 12:56:16 pm »
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :-//

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

-Pat
Maybe the driver boards of this 'assembly' are some sort of hidden gift  :palm:

It feels more like selling pieces hacked off a corpse... I'm horrified to think what that backplane he chopped up used to be. The guy appears to be a "HAM Radio Gear" merchant... you'd think he'd be cognizant of the crime he has committed here.  :palm:

mnem
*Kix "goodstuff" in the 'nads*

What the hell is so special about those to warrant that price and they came from working counter too.  :'( I notice the other lot of pulled boards didn't sell at $20.
Unfortunately there is someone on this forum encouraging people to part out old test gear for the displays too.  :'(

David

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30669 on: May 04, 2019, 01:03:33 pm »

Did you got it shipped or found that locally ? I heard they rarely survive shipping.

Depends on the construction of the cells as to if the chemical bits can mix or not. Not to worried in this case.

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30670 on: May 04, 2019, 01:13:20 pm »

One in France if the seller will take an offer eBay auction: #352652284969

Thanks. A bit expensive with shipping (which also seems dangerous to them, according to Kosmic), and no payment option that fits.

I will specifically search for them from now on, every once in a while.

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30671 on: May 04, 2019, 01:18:18 pm »
It is no great secret that I have a sweet spot for counters. All those many-digit numbers are so impressive! (They should have been more prominent in old scifi movies, but scopes with Lissajous figures reigned.)

Ever since a German electronics magazine named 'ELO' had a build-your-own-counter project in the late 70ies, I yearned for such an instrument (but could not afford it).
I finally got my first counter in 2016 (IIRC), almost 40 years later (the Philips at the far right, a little back).

This is something I always wanted to to. I am fully aware that it is nothing compared to nixiefreqq's 'counter cathedral', and it is not meant to be, as it's mainly for me.  ;)

I had to choose a rather low frequency since the lame Schurigs count only to 1 MHz:

Extra lighting was required so the LCD can even be seen. LCDs without a decent backlight are really shite.

I also had to make some free-style power cords to get them all running. Don't try this at home, kids! We're all careless non-professionals here!
It's not quite as bad as it looks, though; they're powered by an isolating variac.

And it is easy to see that I still need more counters: None of the VFD variety, no Dekatrons, no columns.  ;D

we are brothers from different mothers (cubdriver too).  my first counter was a 5325b purchased in around 1986.  seeing yours made me mist up a little.

your solution for wiring the old oval hp power sockets surely qualifies you for the "crown of bodge". 

ps "counter cathedral" made me laugh out loud.  swmbo came over and looked over my shoulder.  she saw the picture of your collection and walked away shaking her head.
free range primate

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #30672 on: May 04, 2019, 01:28:05 pm »
Same story here.

Almost there. ALMOST.

mnem

My garage is my windmill.  I attack it savagely and repeatedly, but it sits solomly,  watching my meaningless frustrations with a grim humor, knowing full well that I will just undo my efforts with equal unwitting abandon.
This has been me for over a year; that's how long I've been hoeing out the house, planning on this move. Every time I make a dent, the space gets filled with something moved from another location. Every time I need to get to work in the garage, I usually have to start by hauling several hand-truckloads elsewhere.

I have been pretty much constantly fighting The Battle of JENGA for over a year, often with two or more aspects concurrently on different fronts:

Quote from:  TEA Glossary
[J-L]   JENGA:   JENGA is a single term encompassing a constellation of disorderly disorders:

(1) Junk Engulfing Nearby Garage Areas - wherein all garage space is subject to a constantly moving and contested scrimmage line.

(2) Junk Encroaching Nonpermissible General Areas - Usually defined by other household members and their "need" to use nonessential spaces like living rooms, kitchens and bathrooms.

(3) Junk Engulfing Nonvertical Geometric Areas - the inevitable spontaneous accumulation of all manner of tools and junk on any available table-like horizontal surface.

(4) Junk Emigrating Non-Garage Areas - the inexplicable migration of entire stacks to other rooms, often discovered by other household members with a hand truck still underneath.

(5) Junk Engulfing Nonhorizontal Growth Areas - the accumulation of box-shaped objects stacked from floor to ceiling, and the inevitable need to remove one object from the middle of the stack without all of it falling down on your head.

So when I say I think I may have actually reached the tipping point (and not just in tipping fees ;)), it is a truly monumental change in status. 

Not just "I can see it!" but rather "I am nearly THERE!!!" :-+

To give you some idea: I not only reached my motorcycle that hasn't run in a decade, I was actually able to lay hands on it yesterday. And shockingly, I had absolutely no desire to stop and fondle it in any way; I just wanted to get to what was underneath it.

I call THAT real progress; on a number of fronts.  :-+

mnem
Suck THAT, hoarding instinct.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30673 on: May 04, 2019, 01:30:27 pm »
your solution for wiring the old oval hp power sockets surely qualifies you for the "crown of bodge". 

I think the seller I bought my HP 101A crystal oscillator from can also claim that crown, he just hacked up a common IEC lead till it fitted.  :o
I've had a few items with round crimp terminals bodged on too.

David

P.S. I have no idea where that lead is now and yes I still have it.  >:D
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 01:35:48 pm by factory »

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30674 on: May 04, 2019, 01:36:26 pm »

I think the seller I bought my HP 101A crystal oscillator from can also claim that crown, he just hacked up a common IEC lead till it fitted.  :o
I've had a few items with round crimp terminals bodged on too.

David

P.S. I have no idea where that lead is now and yes I still have it.  >:D

wow!   I mean.....wow!  that guy is the mayor of bodgetown.
free range primate

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf