Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14822114 times)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #30800 on: May 05, 2019, 10:42:31 pm »
Nothing like the sound of a Huey coming at you.  :-+

Well, perhaps a bunch of them are better.  :-DD

@med, there's something wrong with your link, its not working.

Really? Working fine here. Anyone else having a problem?

Edit, maybe it's country restricted?
I don't think its country restricted since I can actually find that self same video on YouTube and watch here in the UK?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30801 on: May 05, 2019, 10:46:32 pm »
Can everyone see this clip OK?

EDIT: Yes I think you're right, I just noticed that the HD version is not working in the UK.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 10:48:36 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #30802 on: May 05, 2019, 10:46:48 pm »
Sometimes youtube gets weird about embeds. It blocks the embed from playing, but the same video on youtube dot com is fine.  :palm:

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #30803 on: May 05, 2019, 10:55:48 pm »
Housedad - thanks for the find - I forgot about those guys - a great old TEA resource.
Thanks others for the comments - I must be getting stronger (underestimating its weight) - TEA weight training! HeHe!
I will have a go at grinding down a USA cable 1st, with a layer of heatshrink and a ground clip for added measure. Currently about 1M ohm between either mains leads and the chassis.
Rob
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #30804 on: May 05, 2019, 11:09:43 pm »
Rob:  I checked out Surplus Sales of Nebraska and they have a socket that looks like the same on that RF generator and they might have a plug to fit.  Give them a call.

Here is the web page:
https://www.surplussales.com/Electrical/ElecAC-2.html

Not the same receptacle. That's an early non-polarized AC connector for use with double-insulated equipment. It's got the slots centered in the connector, and is approx 30mm diameter. Unless my eyes are playing tricks on me, the socket on his generator is approx 20mm with the blades offset from center. This is a polarized connector.

mnem
 :-DMM
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #30805 on: May 05, 2019, 11:57:22 pm »
Mnem... It's hard to know without a 1955 twin lead only usa cable mount socket - the surplus sales socket will need a bit of bodge-ing - it looks too big as is but it is closer than I have at present.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #30806 on: May 06, 2019, 12:15:34 am »
Mnem... It's hard to know without a 1955 twin lead only usa cable mount socket - the surplus sales socket will need a bit of bodge-ing - it looks too big as is but it is closer than I have at present.

Hi Rob - I just looked at mine in hopes of providing some insight.  I can't - they have fixed power cords with bog standard strain reliefs.  If it could be fitted without too much filing and hacking, if I were in your shoes I'd put in a regular IEC C14 mains connector.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #30807 on: May 06, 2019, 12:19:25 am »
Feel like in the medieval period.  >:D

... as I just scored this little red sharp pointy thingy, a Fluke 80K-40 HV probe.  :palm:

Nice Probulator! Here's your Probulation Nation membership card, and complimentary box of rubber gloves.  >:D

mnem
Would you like flies widdat?

LOL, thanks and no thanks. The blame .. err.. honor should goes to beanflying, as he is the one who dragged me into this started by his diy probulator.  :-DD

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #30808 on: May 06, 2019, 01:20:49 am »

... as I just scored this little red sharp pointy thingy, a Fluke 80K-40 HV probe.  :palm:

Nice Probulator! Here's your Probulation Nation membership card, and complimentary box of rubber gloves.  >:D

mnem

LOL, thanks and no thanks. The blame .. err.. honor should goes to beanflying, as he is the one who dragged me into this started by his diy probulator.  :-DD

Don't blame me for your GAS problem - Own it  :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30809 on: May 06, 2019, 01:31:56 am »
2 minute teardown

Airflow Instrumentation LCA6000 Airflow meter.

Socketed IC's  :o Hand soldered board complete with flux residue splattered everywhere. Seems to have been my week for disintegrated foam  :palm: Very little inside of real note other than it has a coarse and fine trimpot for Calibration should I ever find myself near a known source. Gentle exhale 200mm away from the vanes spins them up easily.

PP3 clip in battery holder going on the printer soon to be held down by the thoughtfully provided LCD screws.

Worth everyone of it's $5 AUpesos.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30810 on: May 06, 2019, 03:05:02 am »

Well, it's easy enough in person to measure the diameter of the socket in your front panel, and while you're there with a straightedge, determine if the blades are centered in the cavity or offset. If it's ~20mm and the blades are offset from center, then you pretty much need a US AC extension cord like the one on the left. This you can easily carve down to fit safely in pretty much any socket of this type, BTW.

Alternately, you may be able to find one of these SJO 2-Wire NEMA 1-15P Power Tool Quick Lock Cords. IIRC, the twist-lock is easily cut off leaving a 2-wire socket pretty much perfect for this. Back in the day, canister vacuum cleaners had a cord with a similar rectangular molded rubber end that was approximately 1/8" larger than the two blade sockets themselves. They outlawed these ages ago, though.

Looking at that one from Surplus Sales, I expect that unless it fits correctly exactly the way it comes, you're not going to be able to grind it down without destroying it as a connector due to the way they assemble.

Good hunting,

mnem
*toddling off to ded*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30811 on: May 06, 2019, 03:10:45 am »

mnem
Don't blame me for your GAS problem - Own it  :-DD

https://youtu.be/FdghRwWfaOQ

mnem
 >:D

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30812 on: May 06, 2019, 03:15:21 am »
2 minute teardown

Socketed IC's  :o Hand soldered board complete with flux residue splattered everywhere. Seems to have been my week for disintegrated foam  :palm: Very little inside of real note other than it has a coarse and fine trimpot for Calibration should I ever find myself near a known source. Gentle exhale 200mm away from the vanes spins them up easily.

PP3 clip in battery holder going on the printer soon to be held down by the thoughtfully provided LCD screws.

Definitely looks much better made than my MasTech from Shenzhen. I'd have jumped on it. Hope your seller isn't too butthurt. ;)

mnem
*knocks self unconscious with a clock mallet*

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30813 on: May 06, 2019, 05:08:22 am »
2 minute teardown

Definitely looks much better made than my MasTech from Shenzhen. I'd have jumped on it. Hope your seller isn't too butthurt. ;)

mnem
*knocks self unconscious with a clock mallet*

I didn't tempt fate and send them a message but I got this from them after the purchase anyway ;)

Hello, thank you for your purchase! I will get your item on the way shortly.
Kind regards,
Xxxxxxxx

3DP platform sorted, chances of the metal case on a battery now shorting a track Zero. What's even better zero slop to the lid so no rattles  ;D

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #30814 on: May 06, 2019, 07:15:33 am »
Here's an off the wall question for the TEA crowd: what's your favorite nonconductive adjustment/alignment tool(s)? I'm looking for some that don't end up twisting and breaking like the plastic ones I have.

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30815 on: May 06, 2019, 07:43:20 am »
Here's an off the wall question for the TEA crowd: what's your favorite nonconductive adjustment/alignment tool(s)? I'm looking for some that don't end up twisting and breaking like the plastic ones I have.

You should be able to find these for a relatively small amount of money on eBay:

Search for "ceramic screwdrivers". Being ceramic, dropping them on a hard floor is not advised!
  Lord of Sealand

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #30816 on: May 06, 2019, 08:42:35 am »

I've had one break recently too :( OTOH my one from RS hasn't broken :) But is it still available after 35 years? :(
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30817 on: May 06, 2019, 09:04:47 am »
I use a bourns twizzle stick. It’s got a metal blade and I just live with that fact.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30818 on: May 06, 2019, 09:10:00 am »
Ceramic ones off ebay are good.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Who let Murphy in?

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #30819 on: May 06, 2019, 09:20:03 am »

Hi Rob - I just looked at mine in hopes of providing some insight.  I can't - they have fixed power cords with bog standard strain reliefs.  If it could be fitted without too much filing and hacking, if I were in your shoes I'd put in a regular IEC C14 mains connector.

-Pat
Thanks guys, the internal diameter is 25mm, the male connectors are 12.5mm apart from each other and centred in the hole, they are equal size at 6.3mm, ie all non metric. Is this is the old USA standard? (it was made in 1955).
 I think I have found an iec chassis 'plug'  that will fit with minimal /no panel work - if not, I will try either a cord bodge or a mock replacement mini-panel with a fixed cord - strain relief etc.
I will have to wait for bits to turn up in the antipodes!
-Rob

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30820 on: May 06, 2019, 11:15:22 am »

-Pat
Thanks guys, the internal diameter is 25mm, the male connectors are 12.5mm apart from each other and centred in the hole, they are equal size at 6.3mm, ie all non metric. Is this is the old USA standard? (it was made in 1955).
 I think I have found an iec chassis 'plug'  that will fit with minimal /no panel work - if not, I will try either a cord bodge or a mock replacement mini-panel with a fixed cord - strain relief etc.
I will have to wait for bits to turn up in the antipodes!
-Rob

It looks a lot like the connector in pictures 5&6 would fit, on this useful site for old electrical fittings;
https://www.plugsocketmuseum.nl/NorthAm2.html

And why didn't you measure it in inches, I have checked a modern US cord I have here and the blades of the plug are 1/2 inch apart (12.7mm) & 1/4 inch wide (6.35mm).

Homepage for the plug socket museum website:
https://www.plugsocketmuseum.nl/Overview.html

David
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 11:21:46 am by factory »

The following users thanked this post: VK5RC, URI

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #30821 on: May 06, 2019, 12:12:26 pm »
TEA time: just stumbled over it in the bay:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/143241006412

And for entertainment reasons, a picture:

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30822 on: May 06, 2019, 12:31:33 pm »
Only 10000 EUR!

Lord of Sealand

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30823 on: May 06, 2019, 12:33:07 pm »
Only 10000 EUR!

Plus yearly calibration?  :-/O
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30824 on: May 06, 2019, 12:54:18 pm »
Volex did still make both the normal and reversed polarity cords some years ago. And to confuse matters they is a slightly smaller version too (I have a calculator with one). Do you have any more details on the actual standard for the connector type, the Volex data-sheet from 2007 just refers to the connector as being type PH163 and an Alpha data-sheet doesn't even mention the type.

Volex 17952 8 B1 (non-standard polarization).   

Volex 17280 8 B1 (standard polarization).   

David

Honestly, no. What you've located there is more details than anything I've seen since my high-school days. We ordered replacement cords from a Scholastic A/V supplier who would accept POs, so really didn't have anything but a catalog with a photo like the one below and their part number next to it. We had a catalog-handbook of all sorts of power cords with tech drawings like that in it, but that reference was from the dept head's personal collection. That was where I learned the difference between IEC, UL-Approved vs Non, NEMA, etc. standardized power cords & receptacles; you could usually find them listed by that type and current capacity in the catalogs of the time.

And I'll be honest, most of the terminology I'm using here is from memory; things have changed and I'm sure most of the memory cells that info is stored on are far beyond their best-by date. ;)

mnem
 :popcorn:

Apparently I permanently borrowed that Volex data-sheet in 2011, the source was the Newark listing for that cord, unfortunately Newark used a link from the Volex website which has since been disconnected.  |O

Alpha also made the cord with the PH163 connector, type 543 is the standard polarization & type 544 is the non-standard polarization. This doesn't help much either as they also seem to have stopped making them.  :blah:

I've done a bit more digging and have found a pdf for the discontinued Alpha 543 cord on the Allied Electronics site, which also gives the connector type as PH-163;
https://www.alliedelec.com/product/alpha-wire/543-bk078/70125977/
I have added the pdf here in case it also becomes a dead link.

David
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 12:56:34 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, mnementh

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf