Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14563645 times)

Robert763 and 24 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #31250 on: May 13, 2019, 06:24:01 pm »
Indeed. For those of us in the UK: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/312232426709

Edit: to note, if I buy it through my Ltd company and then sell it to someone I can be fined up to £20,000. Fun fun fun.

You can work around it as RoHS exemption is possible under "Equipment designed for research and development"
So then, are they effectively saying that lead-free solder is effectively a one time use only and that if you need to do a repair on it, you're out of luck?  :-// and this is progress    :palm:

Ummm..... no. It is illegal for any business to repair ROHS-compliant electronics using lead-bearing solder and components. Has been for a decade or more over here; I expect you scone-eaters have similar lawyery on the books by now. You are expected to invest in tooling and training to properly repair lead-free soldered devices. Just because it's MORE DIFFICULT to perform repairs with lead-free doesn't mean it's impossible.

The problem case is older stuff that shouldn't (not CAN'T) be repaired using lead-free because they use prehistoric phenolic PCBs and such crap. At some point those actually interested in protecting the safety of the public do have to write that ancient stuff off; for the most part it is already in landfills and it is only us weirdos who want to keep it working. We are the statistically insignificant outliers, and if we wish to continue to pursue our hobby, we need to either step up to the modern standard or devise something else (like high-silver-content lead-free solder and soldering techniques) that makes such repairs safe-ish.

I remember the same exact arguments going on decades ago when they took the antimony and volatile organic acids out of lead-bearing solder; people running around with their hair on fire screaming we'd never be able to fix things again. :palm:

I've personally absorbed Ifni-knows-how-much-lead over the last 40 years; if we'd been half as concerned when the discovery of how much damage lead caused (which happened while I was still in diapers) as we claim to be now, I might not be a CRS-crippled old fart already.

mnem
WhaaWeTalkinAbout...?

mnem
Who are you and why are you on my TV?
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Ero-Shan

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31251 on: May 13, 2019, 06:35:32 pm »
This is all well and good apart one thing, I was under the impression that almost everything we buy and have been for certainly the last 10 to 20 years has been manufactured with lead-free solder anyway  :-// We're more about keeping stuff that was quite possibly made with leaded stuff, out of landfill by restoring it and bringing it back to use again.   :popcorn:

But we weirdos AREN'T "keeping it out of the landfills". We're just delaying the inevitable. And anybody can see that. ;)

I have some of those probes as well that I got of an Ebay seller who seems to deal with probes in the main. They look and work like the genuine article IMO, I have gotten other probes that came with scopes and by comparison for build quality and feel, are far better then those, if I ever need more I'll happy to get them from the same seller. [emoji106]

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk
I'm looking for some probes.  Who was the seller you got yours from?
Here you go, they still have a few left, not sure if they ship to the USA though. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2pcs-P6100-High-Precision-1X-10X-100MHz-Oscilloscope-Probe-Alligator-Clip-F5H2/113732824864?

I thought it was the Jinhao-branded ones that were supposedly a cheap-cheap copy of the cheap P6100 probes I have which are a cheap-but serviceable copy of a real Tek probe...  :o

mnem
*currently searching for the pre-fukt gift on Amazonk*
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 06:37:56 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31252 on: May 13, 2019, 06:37:23 pm »
This is all well and good apart one thing, I was under the impression that almost everything we buy and have been for certainly the last 10 to 20 years has been manufactured with lead-free solder anyway  :-// We're more about keeping stuff that was quite possibly made with leaded stuff, out of landfill by restoring it and bringing it back to use again.   :popcorn:

That's true. It'll all end up in landfill again one day though if we like it or not :(

I'm building my K2 with leaded solder as well. Says don't use lead free in the instructions :-DD

Talking of soldering, just learned a lesson. FQP13N10 gets very not happy very quickly and makes a very loud noise if you attempt to accidentally use it in the linear region with a 6.25 ohm collector load on a 200W 28V Meanwell supply. Scared the crap out of me. This event happened because of a crappy solder joint in the bias network which caused it to saturate instantly  :palm:

On a positive note, once I corrected this fuck up and stopped shaking, 90W out which was enough for some wisps of smoke to come out of my dummy load :-DD

Edit: experiments with cheap switching MOSFETs cost 75p for a failure rather than £30-50 a failure for proper LDMOS RF transistors hence why I don't mind blowing stuff up.
I wonder why it is that when I read about your escapades with blowing things up etc that I always thing about this line "Frying Tonight!" from Carry on Screaming  :-DD

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31253 on: May 13, 2019, 06:44:22 pm »

But we weirdos AREN'T "keeping it out of the landfills". We're just delaying the inevitable. And anybody can see that. ;)

I have some of those probes as well that I got of an Ebay seller who seems to deal with probes in the main. They look and work like the genuine article IMO, I have gotten other probes that came with scopes and by comparison for build quality and feel, are far better then those, if I ever need more I'll happy to get them from the same seller. [emoji106]

Here you go, they still have a few left, not sure if they ship to the USA though. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2pcs-P6100-High-Precision-1X-10X-100MHz-Oscilloscope-Probe-Alligator-Clip-F5H2/113732824864?

I thought it was the Jinhao-branded ones that were supposedly a cheap-cheap copy of the cheap P6100 probes I have which are a cheap-but serviceable copy of a real Tek probe...  :o

mnem
I've had zero issues with these probes, perfectly serviceable.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31254 on: May 13, 2019, 07:07:28 pm »
I wonder why it is that when I read about your escapades with blowing things up etc that I always thing about this line "Frying Tonight!" from Carry on Screaming  :-DD

Not far off that :-DD

Actually I fancy a battered sausage after watching that now :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31255 on: May 13, 2019, 07:09:55 pm »

mnem
   Are they the Jinhao-branded ones?

mnem
 :popcorn:

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31256 on: May 13, 2019, 07:16:40 pm »
Also, I just stole your GOT Box set from Amazon.uk for my wife; it was $50 less than from over here.  :o

mnem
She can wait a few days.  >:D

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #31257 on: May 13, 2019, 07:17:43 pm »

Here you go, they still have a few left, not sure if they ship to the USA though.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2pcs-P6100-High-Precision-1X-10X-100MHz-Oscilloscope-Probe-Alligator-Clip-F5H2/113732824864?

If they don't ship to the US, I got mine from seller edirect-us. They have multiple listings for the same P6100. Here's one for a pair of probes for $8.54: https://www.ebay.com/itm/P6100-2pcs-High-precision-oscilloscope-probe-1X-10X-100MHz-crocodile-clamp-O2D6/112496828034

These are the non-Jinhao branded ones (at least based on the current photo) from seller scopewa that mnem mentioned earlier: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-100MHz-Oscilloscope-Scope-analyzer-Clip-Probe-test-leads-kit-for-HP-Tektronix/182595327054
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 07:37:24 pm by bitseeker »
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31258 on: May 13, 2019, 07:25:08 pm »

Oh, is that what the deal is? The ones I got last year from edirect-us are Jinhao-branded P6100.

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31259 on: May 13, 2019, 07:48:19 pm »
In case you missed or ignored the warning that bd139 posted here a couple of weeks back about leaded solder being illegal for hobbyists to purchase now, but companies can still obtain it, be warned again, this is serious and is going global as this video will explain.  Act now and source enough supply while you can as there are a few suppliers out there who are still happy to sell it to us.  :-+

:-+
I've put an order in with CPC for several rolls of 63/37 & a roll of the LMP 2% silver type that I meant to order months ago, hopefully they will send it.  :scared:
I didn't bother trying RS, but did try Rapid who won't sell it unless you have a credit account (which I don't).  :--

And don't ever think about stocking up or hoarding that unleaded crap, it rots badly if it gets damp, there is a roll of it disintegrating somewhere in the shed (and no I didn't buy it, I was given it).

David

David

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31260 on: May 13, 2019, 08:28:58 pm »
2% silver stuff is amazing. I bought a roll of this a while back to use on some old Tek stuff and it is just the best stuff to use: https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/solders/1047303/ (Felder 62/36/2 RA 0.5mm)

Only problem is the price! I am using it to assemble my K2 which I think deserves decent solder unlike my shitty prototypes :D

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #31261 on: May 13, 2019, 08:41:24 pm »
Indeed; I did say yet another :)

Being trapped in a shopping mall is a close approximation to hell.

OTOH, taking the local floating bus service on the backwaters in Kerala is pleasant for a day. Might take the post boat up the Norwegian fjords, someday. Backpacking around the Aegean is also fun, and really brings the mythological Lotus Eaters and Sirens to mind.

Agree with shopping mall.

Switzerland is fun for backpacking if you can do a climb. I walked this trail about 18 years ago and will be doing it again next year, hopefully with an Elecraft K2 in my pack:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@46.508569,7.7522019,3a,75y,150.83h,94.28t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sAF1QipPAJcCtJJEfcYsoGGLsDZvJo4NzRFz4q1LdnUXd!2e10!3e11!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipPAJcCtJJEfcYsoGGLsDZvJo4NzRFz4q1LdnUXd%3Dw203-h100-k-no-pi-0-ya225.63847-ro0-fo100!7i8192!8i4096

There's a nice cafe at the top which serves beer and disdain for foreigners:

That's true everywhere in Switzerland.

Well maybe not the research establishment where I worked in Switzerland, and had mid-morning break coffee in France :)

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@46.5099389,7.7719387,3a,75y,69.22h,90.83t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sAF1QipOfxjo2dJpf_rAsTE7r6004YEVhMfRfdDF4G4Ly!2e10!3e11!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipOfxjo2dJpf_rAsTE7r6004YEVhMfRfdDF4G4Ly%3Dw203-h100-k-no-pi-0-ya358.22757-ro-0-fo100!7i8704!8i4352

I went to Reideralp ~55 years ago, and Grindlewald just after the best James Bond film (OHMSS) had been released (i.e. 50 years ago). Both in winter, climbing was strictly mechanically aided :)

The main problem with Switzerland is that it is full of the Swiss.

The nice things about the Dolomites are the scenery, they speak German (in big parts of it anyway), the people are nicer and it is much cheaper. I had a walking holiday there doing things I probably shouldn't have done. At 11kft, in a hut where they helicoptered in supplies, I met the only English people I saw on the trip - and I had worked with them a few years earlier.

Something similar happened to me when backpacking around Kerala.

See https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg2360493/#msg2360493 for pointers to the Dolomites.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #31262 on: May 13, 2019, 09:03:00 pm »

I've personally absorbed Ifni-knows-how-much-lead over the last 40 years; if we'd been half as concerned when the discovery of how much damage lead caused (which happened while I was still in diapers) as we claim to be now, I might not be a CRS-crippled old fart already.

mnem
WhaaWeTalkinAbout...?

mnem

i dunno man. i think you'd still be an old fart.   :-DD

specialization is for insects.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #31263 on: May 13, 2019, 09:06:08 pm »
2% silver stuff is amazing. I bought a roll of this a while back to use on some old Tek stuff and it is just the best stuff to use: https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/solders/1047303/ (Felder 62/36/2 RA 0.5mm)

Only problem is the price! I am using it to assemble my K2 which I think deserves decent solder unlike my shitty prototypes :D
Yeah, my 20 year old 2% silver roll is tucked away for only special duties. Works great on multi layer heat robbing PCB's.  :phew:

------------
Keeps looking over shoulder to judge if current leaded solder stocks will see me out or not.......probably, but what might the kids use when I'm pushing up daisy's ..............better get some more ! ASAP.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31264 on: May 13, 2019, 09:15:37 pm »
I decided to make my first trip to the holy site of ham radio operators everywhere...

and so, on Wednesday evening I will check into a Holiday Inn packed to the rafters with guys who carry soldering irons and DMMs in their carry-on luggage, a place where my Tektronix ball cap will cause stares of envy rather than puzzlement and where the HF RF runs free, albeit at QRP levels. 

Yes I will be at FDIM and, at least for one day, Xenia for Hamvention.  (Links provided for the RF deprived.) Yes, I've already packed a kit with soldering iron, an analog multimeter, and tools. Yes, I am going to participate in the Buildathon and spend my day listening to nerds talk about radio.

And yes, I am taking a big rollaboard because I plan on returning with more shit than I am taking with me.    ;D

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31265 on: May 13, 2019, 09:24:04 pm »
Don't forget to wear steel caps  :-DD

K2 dispatched finally :-+ .... now for the veritable financial arse fucking from UPS  :--

The following users thanked this post: med6753, worsthorse, Kosmic

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31266 on: May 13, 2019, 09:26:55 pm »

Yeah, my 20 year old 2% silver roll is tucked away for only special duties. Works great on multi layer heat robbing PCB's.  :phew:

------------
Keeps looking over shoulder to judge if current leaded solder stocks will see me out or not.......probably, but what might the kids use when I'm pushing up daisy's ..............better get some more ! ASAP.

Yep I just did that. Bought ten rolls of 60/40 as backup off ebay. Specmaster took advantage of the deal as well but got a make an offer discount whereas I didn't  :palm:

I noticed there's usually lots of it at hamfests these days but it's probably got extra nicotine flux  :-DD

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31267 on: May 13, 2019, 09:34:15 pm »

------------

Yep I just did that. Bought ten rolls of 60/40 as backup off ebay. Specmaster took advantage of the deal as well but got a make an offer discount whereas I didn't  :palm:

I noticed there's usually lots of it at hamfests these days but it's probably got extra nicotine flux  :-DD
:)
Last part rolls bought were from swap meets 1mm and cheap as chips but as I do all my soldering in a detached garage (the insides of which look like a brothel  :palm: ) smells aren't an issue ..........even my own !  :-DD
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31268 on: May 13, 2019, 09:54:33 pm »

------------

I have enough to last a lifetime, mostly because I forgot I had a couple of rolls of 63/37, and ordered another. And because anything that has silver in it seems way too good to use on my prototypes and everything I do is a prototype, so my Ag solder is hardly touched.

I think that learning how to use lead-free solders, including how to insure that you haven't replaced one kind of poisoning for another, is a good idea, especially if you are in your twenties.  For us elders, our current supply of Pb solders will most likely outlast us.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31269 on: May 13, 2019, 10:34:40 pm »
What diameter solder do you guys prefer? I often hear people talk about getting thin stuff for SMD, but that stuff feeds so fast for THD.

(I'm considering buying my "lifetime" roll before the US decides to ban Pb solder, too.)

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31270 on: May 13, 2019, 10:38:37 pm »
I use 0.031" for everyday. I have some 0.020" for SMD and my silver solder is 0.025".  Feeding the small stuff reliably on a through hole component was a PITA but it is great for SMD.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31271 on: May 13, 2019, 11:03:46 pm »

mnem
WhaaWeTalkinAbout...?

mnem
i dunno man. i think you'd still be an old fart.   :-DD

This brain cell over here thinks you're right. This other one wants a pastrami on rye with a dill pickle. This brain cell over here... ummm... yeah. This brain cell over here thinks you're...  >:D

------------

Or you could take one for the team and break the cycle... stop the heavy-metal brain damage with your generation. Pass along the Metallica and Megadeth tho.  :-DD

mnem
* Young fart / Old punk * ;)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31272 on: May 13, 2019, 11:24:03 pm »
Had a sudden flashback to getting Sky here and discovering MTV. Type O and Metallica with Beavis and Butthead commentary  :-+ ... black black black black number one ... no way beavis.

Solder: 0.5mm in proper units :)

Apparently my elecraft order has been picked up and will be with me in 18 hours having travelled 5300 miles. Wonder where it’ll go wrong.

Right bed time for me.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31273 on: May 13, 2019, 11:32:02 pm »

------------

Or you could take one for the team and break the cycle... stop the heavy-metal brain damage with your generation. Pass along the Metallica and Megadeth tho.  :-DD

mnem
* Young fart / Old punk * ;)
You believe too much modern press PC garbage.  :P
Fine if you live in the city and solder 40+ hrs/week then yes this is why there have been moves away from leaded solders.
Those that live in the country are more at risk from carrying spare lead air rifle pellets in your gob as we all did as kids.
Hell, lead is everywhere as roof flashings and even waste pipes from yesteryear and the only reason it's not still in common use is cost......and the loss of skills to work with it.

Next authorities will ban the use of copper flashings and pipes such is the idiocy of modern authorities that know best.  :bullshit:
I didn't pick this avatar for shits and giggles.  :P

What diameter solder do you guys prefer? I often hear people talk about getting thin stuff for SMD, but that stuff feeds so fast for THD.

(I'm considering buying my "lifetime" roll before the US decides to ban Pb solder, too.)
0.035" works well for fine TH work but just a shade thicker, say 0.050" is better for general purpose TH soldering.
0.035" is also fine for the bigger SMD like 0805 and at a pinch 0603.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31274 on: May 13, 2019, 11:58:23 pm »
The damage lead does to a developing brain is not "modern PC press garbage." It was discovered literally when I was still in swaddling clothes.

That information was committeed to death for decades before any American health organization took it seriously, and even then only because pretty much the entire rest of the developed world, and half the undeveloped world, kept asking us  :wtf: and "When the holy hell are you gonna do something about this?!?"

ANY LEAD in a developing brain is TOO MUCH. Period. And it's still not good for us old punks with ossified frontal lobes, either.

mnem
While you're at it, purge aluminum cookware from your life as well.

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf