Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15258453 times)

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #31550 on: May 17, 2019, 08:53:27 pm »
Interesting. How flat are they, though? I'm less concerned about them going beyond rated 3dB and more concerned about significant peaks and valleys within the operating range.

Ok Ok, will improve my setup and produce some proper results with screenshot and everything  ^-^

Ok, so there it is. I tested the frequency response of 6 probes.

One last probe.

60dbm.com Active Probe 1Ghz 50Ohms
Bought this probe on ebay (https://www.ebay.ca/itm/RF-Active-Probe-0-1-1500-MHz-1-5-GHz-analyzer-oscilloscope/332884643332?hash=item4d81788e04:g:CzsAAOSwWlNZzA4E) a while ago but never really had the time to test it properly. Look like the design was inspired by a article published in Elektor magazine in 2004 (https://elektrotanya.com/files/forum/2009/10/e04a036.pdf). Overall the probe perform really well up to 800Mhz.

Frequency response of the Active Probe (Teal) from DC to 1Ghz, 100Mhz per division. Noise source in purple.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 10:50:51 pm by Kosmic »

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #31551 on: May 17, 2019, 09:13:14 pm »
I ordered a pair of 200MHz probes from scopewa. Should arrive around the same time as my SA. :-+

Yup... that's where I got my P6100s from. Think they cost like $13/pr a couple years ago. What'd you get, the Lihuada P2200s? I have one of them on the way from another vendor in Taiwan; I had no "hunger" for it, so was perfectly happy waiting a month to get it for $8.

When they get here we can compare pics and notes.  :-+

Yes, the pair that you linked me to. I wasn't sure if the lower-priced ones would be the same or not.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline GregDunn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31552 on: May 17, 2019, 09:13:30 pm »
I managed to get in the door at the 'fest today right about on time.  Surprisingly, it only took me about 2 hours to see everything at least once.  The outdoor market has not gotten any smaller, but surprisingly, it was far more ham-centric than I can remember for a while - not so many knick-knack tables or floor sweepings. (aside: why some supposedly intelligent people feel it's necessary in a family friendly environment to blight their table with profane and crude political messages, I'll never understand.  Homie don't play dat.)

There were plenty of Tek 465, 2246, etc. in working condition and not excessively high prices.  The surprise was was seeing not one but three populated TM504 setups at different tables.  All I ended up with was yet another Fluke 8600A (working, for $20) and a HP 5300B/5304 timer-counter.  10 MHz is far more than I need for the work I do, plus it's cool to have another one of the little modular HP pieces that works.

I also, quite at the last minute, stumbled across a "surplus" tent which had a huge stash of single-board computers.  I picked up a couple of Raspberry Pi 3B+ at rock-bottom prices, plus PSU and case.  That was a "would be nice to have" goal, so very pleased to score.

Worth the trip, but not as much fun as I remember from the 80s.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31553 on: May 17, 2019, 09:14:39 pm »
Rumours of my death have been much exaggerated. At least I presume there were rumours, I tend to attract them.

Work has been keeping me too busy for TEA related activities, while at the same time generating lots of spare cash that just begged to be spent. Unfortunately every time I've had a chance to look up there hasn't been anything worth buying - until this week. Delivered today, one HP 3325A Synthesized Function Generator.

Obligatory photo with frequency counter in the background showing the usual boringly good accuracy for a bit of old HP kit that probably hasn't seen a cal lab in 20 years.

Welcome back, Cerebus! That's a nice one. It may not have seen a cal lab, but it looks like it's been housed in one all these years.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31554 on: May 17, 2019, 09:24:49 pm »
These are great, Kosmic! Thanks for running the tests. What is the noise source that you used. I know there are downsides to using one, but it'd still be useful for when my spectrum analyzer arrives since I don't have a scope with as much bandwidth as yours.
I use a cheap BG7TBL noise source. I think you can get one for less than 20$ on ebay. Working fine but they tend to overheat. I always cool it down with a fan.

Like this one? eBay auction: #111831285650

Or this one?  eBay auction: #173532270063

Yeah, I assume the first one. Some sellers imply that there are 2018 and 2019 versions of it. Is that true? All the photos I've seen are dated 2012 (electrolytic caps) or 2016.

I also saw this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/5M-1-5GHz-RF-Noise-Source-Signal-Generator-Spectrometer-Tracking-Source/132179263729

It looks like the same enclosure as the 137-4400 MHz sig gen. The output appears to be quite flat to 1 GHz. But it's a big price difference. May as well just cal out the amplitude variation when using the bg7tbl.

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #31555 on: May 17, 2019, 09:32:28 pm »
I survived my first (and quite possibly only) Hamvention flea market tour. Constrained by the fact that there is six or seven hours of plane ride between here and home, I did not buy any of the TM500 plugins, Tek scopes, or signal generators on offer, of which there were fewer than expected. There were a few amazingly optimistic (or overly influenced by ebay asking prices) vendors selling HP or Tek gear but most stuff was reasonably priced. The hardest two hardest things to leave behind? A 465B on a cart, both immaculate, and a TM515 frame with an FG5010 and SC504 in it.  There was a MFT of boat anchor gear, computer gear, and commercial radios and but for one vendor, very little in the way of discrete components other than BFCs.

I did get some stuff I can carry back with me: twenty SBL-1s, an HP VSWR bridge, an HP resistive power divider, a set of awesome test probes (the kind with the screw in tips and banana jacks) some electrolytics and potentiometers for my Tek restoration projects and a bagful of NTE dual gate mosfets, hi freq op amps, caps and comparators.  I spent less than two hundred bucks for all of it. Not a bad day.

specialization is for insects.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31556 on: May 17, 2019, 09:50:29 pm »
To break up the TEA or indeed take a TEA break for a short period I had an enjoyable day out on Wednesday at RAF Lakenheath in the morning where there was a number of F15 and F16 launches during the morning and early afternoon, F16's were visitors for an exercise and a C17 came in which was I think the support plane for the F16's to load up the ground support equipment and crew for F16's ready for their long flight back to USA later in the week.

In the afternoon I went to the nearby RAF Mildenhall to see if there was any Osprey action and I just missed one as it departed for a trip through the Mach Loop. There were a couple of KC135 tankers doing circuit bashing. While this was going on a F35 from RAF Marham called up and requested to do a fly though so I caught that as well.

I now resemble a furking tomato as I forgot to apply the sun screen  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, med6753, Neomys Sapiens, Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31557 on: May 17, 2019, 10:10:54 pm »
TEA break turned into tomato time, eh? Great shots, though!

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #31558 on: May 17, 2019, 10:35:27 pm »
   My son is SO effing lucky...

He wanders off into the magazine section at Wally World while I'm checking out some clothes for his sister; calls me over just freaking out. So, I go around and there they have this Pokemon Starter Box Set... a whole row of them mispriced for $13, and it's the latest release.

I go up to the cashier and she says they're supposed to be $41.99. I show her a pic of the shelf, and she goes and gets a floor manager, who says he can't authorize it for that price, but he can do it for $20. Which, incidentally, is the boy's Pokemon spend limit for the coming weekend.

"sold." I answer, and tell the boy he just used his spend limit for Pokemon League. "AWESOME!" he answers, clutching the box to his chest like a trophy.

I have a good son.  ;D

mnem
My daughter... she's gotten spoiled with daddy wrapped around her little finger. Mommy is shady as fuck also. :-DD

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #31559 on: May 17, 2019, 11:01:36 pm »
New catch, one  - hp - 427a VOM with Option 01, AC mains.

Probably paid too much. Am addicted to mirror scales. Condition, with the exception of the missing coloured ring on the binding post, is impeccable.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 11:14:31 pm by mansaxel »

The following users thanked this post: kj7e, bd139, Ero-Shan

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31560 on: May 17, 2019, 11:06:01 pm »
Nice catch there  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31561 on: May 17, 2019, 11:09:18 pm »
HP 8565B ... local offer ... cosmetically flawless, assume working fine ... how much do you consider it a decent price ?

Sigh ... I'm guessing as TEA brotherhood in this thread, my TEA budget already in deep negative zone.  :palm:

Good question. I think I'd expect a "danger money discount" for lugging it whatever they offer :)

Don't even mention the words "negative" and "budget"  :scared:

Talking of which. Took afternoon off today. Unfortunately I'm going to lose the evening due to an incident with an older relative who has broken a leg.

First integration test assembly complete!

Looking good

There are no RF bits on this yet which is where the meat and two veg of this build is unfortunately. This is all stuffing, alignment and computery bits which I can do with eyes shut. Next bit is the hard one  :scared:
Looking great already. That case is looking really strong and well built too  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31562 on: May 17, 2019, 11:12:39 pm »
The case is really nice. It’s just flat sheets which are painted and connected together with the metal blocks. Engineering is excellent. When you screw it together it fits ridiculously well. Am very impressed with quality.

I genuinely wish they made test gear like it.

Probably paid to much. Am addicted to mirror scales. Condition, with the exception of the missing coloured ring on the binding post, is impeccable.

Dang that’s about the fourth one of them I’ve seen lately. Need one now. The AC option one is much better as well - no 22v battery required!

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31563 on: May 17, 2019, 11:17:36 pm »
Yeah, I assume the first one. Some sellers imply that there are 2018 and 2019 versions of it. Is that true? All the photos I've seen are dated 2012 (electrolytic caps) or 2016.

Yes I think the 2016 is latest version.

I also saw this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/5M-1-5GHz-RF-Noise-Source-Signal-Generator-Spectrometer-Tracking-Source/132179263729

Interesting, I wonder if it really do +-0.5dBm flatness.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #31564 on: May 18, 2019, 12:42:20 am »
*snip*

Got some pr0n shots of nixiefreqq's favorite type of calculator.  >:D

Oooohhh.... THAT is a fine example of the breed. The case reminds me of the one from my grandfather's AC-corded Norelco shaver decades ago...

Much as I loathe Yoda-speaking calculators, I still got a bit of a nerd-boner from that.  :-DD

mnem
*Imagining Oculus opening that up, just like in the briefcase scene from Pulp Fiction*

Yup, pretty much like Pulp Fiction.  :-DD The keys on these calculators are amazing to use. Such crisp feel.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Neomys Sapiens

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31565 on: May 18, 2019, 12:45:22 am »
Got some pr0n shots of nixiefreqq's favorite type of calculator.  >:D

was at the doc on wed and my bp was really low.

that got it back up again.

thanks!

(I miss rpn just the way I miss measles, mumps, and chicken pox)

Always glad to help.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline GregDunn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31566 on: May 18, 2019, 01:46:23 am »
I survived my first (and quite possibly only) Hamvention flea market tour. Constrained by the fact that there is six or seven hours of plane ride between here and home, I did not buy any of the TM500 plugins, Tek scopes, or signal generators on offer, of which there were fewer than expected. There were a few amazingly optimistic (or overly influenced by ebay asking prices) vendors selling HP or Tek gear but most stuff was reasonably priced. The hardest two hardest things to leave behind? A 465B on a cart, both immaculate, and a TM515 frame with an FG5010 and SC504 in it.  There was a MFT of boat anchor gear, computer gear, and commercial radios and but for one vendor, very little in the way of discrete components other than BFCs.

I forgot to mention a glut of HP power meters, every single one without the sensor.   :-DD  I did linger over one of the Wavetek swept signal generators, especially since one guy was thinking about buying it just so he could strip out the insides and put some kind of homebrew gadget inside.   >:(  I passed on an Agilent 34401A (which looked like it might or might not have been caught in the morning rain) for $350, partly because I was sure the VFD would be dark and iffy by now.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #31567 on: May 18, 2019, 01:47:25 am »
Top ten excuses from my playbook to avoid marmalization:

1. It was free and too good to let go in the skip.
2. I found it on the side of the road. You’d save a puppy if you saw it on the side of the road right?
3. It’s not as big or as expensive as your shoe collection.
4. I swapped it for something else that never existed because you pay no attention to what I have.
5. Look it has festive LEDs/neons/nixies.
6. It will look nice as a centre piece in the living room especially with a scope on top of it.
7. I’ve signed up for ebilling on my credit card so you can’t see the bill because it’s your birthday soon.
8. It also filters the air in the room.
9. It’s cheaper than the gas central heating.
10. I want a divorce.
I think we need to take a look at the master John Belushi from Blues Brothers - and use his excellent techniques to avoid the wrath of SWMBO after indiscretion
Esp from 1:40 onwards

http://youtu.be/ftt4f2H3GDs
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 01:50:20 am by VK5RC »
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

The following users thanked this post: worsthorse, bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31568 on: May 18, 2019, 01:51:58 am »
   My son is SO effing lucky...

He wanders off into the magazine section at Wally World while I'm checking out some clothes for his sister; calls me over just freaking out. So, I go around and there they have this Pokemon Starter Box Set... a whole row of them mispriced for $13, and it's the latest release.

I go up to the cashier and she says they're supposed to be $41.99. I show her a pic of the shelf, and she goes and gets a floor manager, who says he can't authorize it for that price, but he can do it for $20. Which, incidentally, is the boy's Pokemon spend limit for the coming weekend.

"sold." I answer, and tell the boy he just used his spend limit for Pokemon League. "AWESOME!" he answers, clutching the box to his chest like a trophy.

I have a good son.  ;D

mnem
My daughter... she's gotten spoiled with daddy wrapped around her little finger. Mommy is shady as fuck also. :-DD

Sooo...Wally World floor managers can give you 50% off. >:D

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31569 on: May 18, 2019, 01:56:14 am »

Probably paid too much. Am addicted to mirror scales. Condition, with the exception of the missing coloured ring on the binding post, is impeccable.

The HP 427 has been a popular catch recently. It's like they're in season. :-DD

I like mirror scales too.  :-+

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31570 on: May 18, 2019, 02:24:25 am »

Yes I think the 2016 is latest version.

Thanks for the confirmation. Shady sellers. :rant:

Interesting, I wonder if it really do +-0.5dBm flatness.

Looks pretty flat to 1 GHz, but the markers in the pics are chosen to show max flatness. You can see that it varies about 2-3 dB in a couple areas. The last pic shows it dropping off quite a bit after 1 GHz. Looks like about 15 dB drop from 1 GHz to 2 GHz.

The USB port is interesting too. I wonder what it can do apart from setting the output amplitude.

There's also this one that supposedly is 1 – 3500 MHz instead of a couple hundred K to ~1.5 GHz. https://www.ebay.com/itm/SMA-noise-source-Simple-spectrum-external-tracking-source-Analyzer-dc-12v/282102993483

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #31571 on: May 18, 2019, 02:56:55 am »
EFFING NEWEGG!!!

https://youtu.be/naIeGg66Vcg

I was actually looking at this monitor vs a couple other 24-27" 144/165Hz monitors around the $400 price point back when I was rebuilding my old gamer rig; ultimately I just couldn't make myself spend that kind of money.

Now NewEgg puts it on their ShellShocker for $309, and I have a store credit that brings it down to $270 shipped.  :palm: Looks like wifey is gonna have to pay for Anniversary Dinner; I just spent my Anniversary AND Father's Day present.  :-DD

mnem
Thanks, Victor.  ;)
You forgot good old bribery!
Also, I just stole your GOT Box set from Amazon.uk for my wife; it was $50 less than from over here.  :o

mnem
She can wait a few days.  >:D

So my wife comes home today and finds THIS on her desk. She's all like  " :wtf: is THIS?!? How is THIS my big anniversary present?"

"Because you can open it up and munch on it." I answer from the other room.
A few seconds later, I hear the distinctive sound of cereal rattling in a box. "While you're watching THAT." (which was hidden behind the funky box of cereal)

A few seconds after that I hear a squeal of delight and "No way... you DIDN'T?!? How? It costs like $150..." "Yeah, I got it for half that by buying from Amazon-UK and waiting a week. The 8-season 'Full Series Collector Set' they're selling on pre-order is crazy; like $250, and you can't even get it yet. I figure by the time we're done watching this, season 8 will be available something reasonable."

And I am now officially out of the dog house. Which is good, because I spent the $50 $75 I saved on that huge honkin' monitor!!!  :-DD

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31572 on: May 18, 2019, 02:58:36 am »
I'm super stoked today, because I received not one, not two, but three TEA items in one fell swoop.  :-DD

From top: Lucent RFTG-m-XO RFTG-m-RB frequency standards, in a dual rackmount chassis. I need to do the 10 MHz output modifications and get an appropriate power source. Next is a basically new condition HP 8405A vector voltmeter. Not only does it look nearly new, both probes are not burned out and it came with an almost complete and hard to find 8405A accessory kit. And the printed manual. Last, is an oscillator I've been hankering for for a long time, the classic 8640B. Also in great shape, front panel not broken, and comes with the extended frequency range option and the printed manual.

The following users thanked this post: kj7e, mnementh

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #31573 on: May 18, 2019, 03:00:58 am »
Score!!!  :box:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31574 on: May 18, 2019, 03:35:38 am »

So my wife comes home today and finds THIS on her desk. She's all like  " :wtf: is THIS?!? How is THIS my big anniversary present?"

"Because you can open it up and munch on it." I answer from the other room.
A few seconds later, I hear the distinctive sound of cereal rattling in a box. "While you're watching THAT." (which was hidden behind the funky box of cereal)

A few seconds after that I hear a squeal of delight and "No way... you DIDN'T?!? How? It costs like $150..." "Yeah, I got it for half that by buying from Amazon-UK and waiting a week. The 8-season 'Full Series Collector Set' they're selling on pre-order is crazy; like $250, and you can't even get it yet. I figure by the time we're done watching this, season 8 will be available something reasonable."

And I am now officially out of the dog house. Which is good, because I spent the $50 $75 I saved on that huge honkin' monitor!!!  :-DD

mnem

Yes, the "Hannibal" quote is quite apt for this outcome. Excellent work, mnem! Major bonus points. 8)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf