Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14563004 times)

DC1MC, Vince and 21 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #31775 on: May 21, 2019, 08:13:27 pm »

Used? For what? Pretty much anything you can use that boat anchor for (aside from a doorstop  >:D) is better diag-ed by ear!  :-DD

He might be pulling your leg med6753! You never know with him!  :popcorn:

When it comes to the dragon there are 2 things to always keep handy..... :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #31776 on: May 21, 2019, 08:17:47 pm »
And...

TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #31777 on: May 21, 2019, 09:01:18 pm »
Speaking of "What'll you use it for...?"

A question for you photography buffs:

I have one of these in THE BOX; IT'S 120VAC, 300W, HotShoe mount. I've kept it for years because every once in a rare while, I want to do some closeup photography against a backdrop, or some stationary video and the adjustable spot/fill is good for that.

Question is: Would anybody ELSE still use this antique, and would it sell for enough to be worth the time to list it?

I'm not sure how many people still use it. There are 7 active listings between $10 and $44, but only one sold in the last 90 days. It went for $7.50 plus shipping.
Yeah, I looked at fleaBay before I asked; as we all know, the ebb & flow of sales there means a single day sampling is not very representative of any item's reasonable worth. What I saw there was less than encouraging.

That's why I was hoping to ask folks who are actually still active photographers. ;)

mnem
moo?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 09:03:02 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31778 on: May 21, 2019, 09:23:43 pm »

Used? For what? Pretty much anything you can use that boat anchor for (aside from a doorstop  >:D) is better diag-ed by ear!  :-DD
He might be pulling your leg med6753! You never know with him!  :popcorn:
When it comes to the dragon there are 2 things to always keep handy.....          :-DD
Of course I'm pulling your leg. But, as with most things, there's a grain of truth in what I said.  ;)

mnem
Unless I'm completely full of it; which is most of the time. I try to keep it in check, but...  :-// Ehhh... sometimes  the :bullshit: wins.  >:D

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #31779 on: May 21, 2019, 09:36:06 pm »
So the case of the Heath OL-1 got a coat of blue paint rather than the original gray. Why? Because I felt like it. I wanted to match my other scopes. And in the late 1960's Heathkit did convert to a blue color scheme for some of their test equipment. And.....I felt like it.  ;D

Which mfg and paint color is that? How similar is it to "Tek blue"?

This....     And yes, it is a known acceptable substitute for genuine Tek blue. I have sprayed Tek cabinets with it and you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. And I like what Bd said....."HeathTek"  :-DD

Thanks. Added to the POI. It may work well for Power Designs enclosures, too.

For my PD 2020, I used a car paint, as in https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg1839581/#msg1839581
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31780 on: May 22, 2019, 01:05:40 am »
So the case of the Heath OL-1 got a coat of blue paint rather than the original gray. Why? Because I felt like it. I wanted to match my other scopes. And in the late 1960's Heathkit did convert to a blue color scheme for some of their test equipment. And.....I felt like it.  ;D

Which mfg and paint color is that? How similar is it to "Tek blue"?
He will not answer this question

because, if it is close (as I assume),

he will draw a lot of fire from those here that deem it totally unacceptable to give this abomination a coat of
THE HOLY BLUE!
Dang, he already did.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 01:07:25 am by Neomys Sapiens »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31781 on: May 22, 2019, 01:14:22 am »
For my PD 2020, I used a car paint, as in https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg1839581/#msg1839581

Which paint did you use for that? I went back, but didn't see that I had asked previously.

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31782 on: May 22, 2019, 01:23:02 am »
I do not perform “restorations”. I repair and make functional. And if I decide I will modify and improve. My equipment is not museum pieces. It is meant to be used. So the case of the Heath OL-1 got a coat of blue paint rather than the original gray. Why? Because I felt like it. I wanted to match my other scopes. And in the late 1960's Heathkit did convert to a blue color scheme for some of their test equipment. And.....I felt like it.  ;D

The exterior is just about done except for the banana jacks which are on order. They should arrive Friday along with the replacement capacitors. The CRT bezel has also been sanded, painted, and reinstalled. That was originally bright steel and is now....gray.  >:D :-DD

Oh and.....the BNC has been reinstalled too.  :P

Good job with the CRT bezel! Look good as new  :-+

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31783 on: May 22, 2019, 02:09:26 am »
Just when you're ready to write CraigsList off...

https://houston.craigslist.org/pts/d/huntsville-sold2005-cobalt-ecotec-22/6887028455.html

...along comes a real folk like CL was supposed to be made for. A week of fending off a-holes trying to scrape my personal info or pay with "certifiable check", and then I get a text from a normal guy, who's really interested and just wants to talk to me before he drives an hour and a half.

He showed up today, we talked a few minutes and I cranked the engine over for him, and he paid asking price in cash without quibbling. And yes, the bills tested good with counterfeit pen and UV light.

Since he didn't quibble, I gave him the extra ignition pack, ECM and Chilton's I had in storage. I was glad to see 'em go; one less thing to worry about.

mnem
:clap:

The following users thanked this post: worsthorse

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #31784 on: May 22, 2019, 03:00:07 am »

...along comes a real folk like CL was supposed to be made for. A week of fending off a-holes trying to scrape my personal info or pay with "certifiable check", and then I get a text from a normal guy, who's really interested and just wants to talk to me before he drives an hour and a half.

He showed up today, we talked a few minutes and I cranked the engine over for him, and he paid asking price in cash without quibbling. And yes, the bills tested good with counterfeit pen and UV light.

Since he didn't quibble, I gave him the extra ignition pack, ECM and Chilton's I had in storage. I was glad to see 'em go; one less thing to worry about.

mnem

Good deal!  :-+ I've been very lucky with CL as both a seller and a buyer. No scams, no idiots....except one jerk who was location challenged and didn't realize he was 60 miles away and wanted me to meet him half way. Nope.  :palm:

All transactions good old (genuine) dollar bills and everybody happy.  :clap:

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #31785 on: May 22, 2019, 03:49:27 am »
mnem
^ Is when some TEA spending cash appears.

Whatcha gunna buy mnem ?  :popcorn:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31786 on: May 22, 2019, 05:35:21 am »
Groceries. Gas. Cardboard Crack/Pokemon Club. Already spent my stupid money on this huge honking monitor.  :P

Honestly, the timing couldn't have been better; bank account was on fumes. Wife sucked me dry this week; over $500 to balance her checkbook.  |O I don't fault her; the kids are an expensive habit and I've been cherry-picking my work orders to maximize how much verticalness I have on reserve for the hoeing-out work.

mnem
*Gonna go lie down before I fall down*
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 05:37:33 am by mnementh »

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #31787 on: May 22, 2019, 05:44:24 am »
Techie post here with a video of the process here https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/40w-300x200mm-laser-cutter-engraver-vollerun/msg2426109/#msg2426109

Just visible to the naked eye but not in a photo, subtle under flash so add some back lighting or front side engraved and make a statement?

Paint the inside surface of the panel to match the front charcoal gray to match the top, then laser-etch the logo as you've done. THEN, if it still doesn't show up, some discrete warm-white or neon-orange-shaded LED illumination behind. Looks like there's room for like 4 2830 or 5050 LEDs there. Then, of course, backlight the meter to match.  >:D

mnem
 :popcorn:

So I was going down the path of adding a promicro and some WS2801's that I have and then had a daylight look  ;)

8% Power is more or less a fine glass type etch and not recessed into the surface. The inside etched one might get turned into something else with lights yet.

Now I just need to find a source of short 6-32 UNC screws in a long metricated country.  PC screws are not going to do it :rant: F Units  :horse:
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 05:47:16 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #31788 on: May 22, 2019, 06:20:36 am »

Which paint did you use for that? I went back, but didn't see that I had asked previously.

"The Halfords Ford Nordic Blue car spray paint is an exact match for the Ford code: MG, T & 1401A"

I make no claims that it is accurate in any way, merely that it was the nearest colour available in the local car accessory "shed" to the original Power Designs colour. That was sufficient for my purposes.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31789 on: May 22, 2019, 09:40:45 am »
Things that make you go "Hmmmmmm...",

It seems that someone in the Poole area of the UK managed to bag a tremendous haul of test gear recently on Gumtree. I was checking through my old emails before confining them to the wast-paper basket and I came across this hoard for sale for just £15  :wtf: I wonder if it was anyone from this forum, if so please come forward and let us for sure just what was in the hoard and its condition, you might even win the Jimmy Git award.  :-DD :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31790 on: May 22, 2019, 09:46:45 am »
Blimey that was good for £15. I would have nabbed that if I saw it.

Incidentally if you do go to Poole don’t hang around too long or you’ll come back to your car propped on bricks.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31791 on: May 22, 2019, 09:55:10 am »
@Med, that really looks nice now you just have to get it up and running again to do that case justice, looks almost new again even if it is Tek colours, who gives a fig.

@bd, that's a real bummer but at least they aren't quibbling over it and are being really good. It's good to know that they believe in good customer service.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31792 on: May 22, 2019, 09:57:20 am »

Incidentally if you do go to Poole don’t hang around too long or you’ll come back to your car propped on bricks.
If I'd have seen it, I'd too would have nabbed it, even collected it because it sure would have been worth it I'm sure.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #31793 on: May 22, 2019, 10:25:48 am »
@Med, that really looks nice now you just have to get it up and running again to do that case justice, looks almost new again even if it is Tek colours, who gives a fig.

As soon as the replacement capacitors show up from Mouser which should be Friday.  :-+

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #31794 on: May 22, 2019, 10:26:43 am »

If I'd have seen it, I'd too would have nabbed it, even collected it because it sure would have been worth it I'm sure.

All that for $19 USD?  :o Almost worth the plane ticket to pick them up.  :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31795 on: May 22, 2019, 03:55:02 pm »
Things that make you go "Hmmmmmm...",

It seems that someone in the Poole area of the UK managed to bag a tremendous haul of test gear recently on Gumtree. I was checking through my old emails before confining them to the wast-paper basket and I came across this hoard for sale for just £15  :wtf: I wonder if it was anyone from this forum, if so please come forward and let us for sure just what was in the hoard and its condition, you might even win the Jimmy Git award.  :-DD :-DD :-DD

Yowwwzaa!   That right there is nerd-sniping at its finest; you actually made me put my coffee down to get a better look!  :-DD

mnem
mmmmm... cofffeeeeeeeeeeee...
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 05:38:30 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31796 on: May 22, 2019, 07:20:23 pm »
Soooo...

Installing Windoze on a EVO850 SSD I had lying around; I originally bought it for my XPS M1330 laptop but it is so old SSD didn’t make a noticeable improvement.  :palm:

Doing a slim build; just the stuff I need for Steam and VR. Install took only a few minutes, even over USB2.0 because my prehistoric MB doesn’t support boot from USB3.0.

Now comes the fun; slimming Win10 down and disabling all their crapwares. Looks like it installed basic RADEON drivers by itself; resolution bumped up to native while I was configuring security questions.

So far, loving the new Pixio Monitor; but my old machine just doesn’t have the oomph to get any decent frame rates. We’ll see if de-constipating Windoze itself helps.

See you all on the other side,

mnem
*sent by threatening an iPad with “further modifications” *

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #31797 on: May 22, 2019, 07:37:55 pm »

All that for $19 USD?  :o Almost worth the plane ticket to pick them up.  :-DD

That's for sure. How do you imagine someone came up with that price for that stuff? Seems, well, rather a random number.
specialization is for insects.

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #31798 on: May 22, 2019, 07:49:07 pm »
The reorganization project took a great leap forward today... ten or twelve boxes that haven't been opened in two moves are finallygoing to goodwill (negotiations with SWMBO regarding the fate of this stuff have been protracted), which will free enough room to put in proper shelves in the furnace room for storing gear and parts, which will in turn make the garage workspace usable again.

Frankly I need to cull the heard.  As soon as I finish this clearing project and can start working on repairing gear again, I am going to inventory the ham radio pile and sell off all the stuff I am never going to use, like the RTTY gear, before the end of the year.

Now if I can keep myself from cruising ebay and CL for stuff I don't know I need until I see it...

specialization is for insects.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31799 on: May 22, 2019, 07:58:11 pm »
So I was going down the path of adding a promicro and some WS2801's that I have and then had a daylight look  ;)

8% Power is more or less a fine glass type etch and not recessed into the surface. The inside etched one might get turned into something else with lights yet.

Now I just need to find a source of short 6-32 UNC screws in a long metricated country.  PC screws are not going to do it :rant: F Units  :horse:

That looks great, bean! I guess the angle of the prior pics didn't do it justice.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf