Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14786067 times)

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #31825 on: May 23, 2019, 05:05:46 am »
If you love used to command line & batch file + scheduled task .. robocopy has all you need.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #31826 on: May 23, 2019, 05:07:17 am »
I typically don't configure ANY wireless connection on ANY PC as a trusted network; it's too easy to get pwned. It's easy enough for someone who knows what they're doing anyways; but allowing that level of access to a wireless connection is just begging any script-kiddie with a android phone to rape your network.  :palm:

mnem
*Currrently installing STEAM*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #31827 on: May 23, 2019, 05:40:17 am »
And if you want to keep your files across computers sync'ed I found the free version of this program to work well...

https://allwaysync.com/

I have it set up where I do a sync manually when I feel the need....typically once a week.

Generally apart from my Laptop (which doesn't currently get much use as I am not on the road much) my PC's have had discrete functions until now. One in the bedroom for TV and a bit of Internerd, Shack I5 box that needs a serious upgrade for 4K rendering and larger CAD work without bogging down $1-2k+ I7or9 :palm: and the dedicated LASER tablet W7 which won't ever need to run CAD just Inkscape files produced on the main PC. So the only real file sharing is to the LASER at this stage.

I have another mini ITX with W10 on I was going to add into the rebuild of my bigger CNC and also to manage my 3D printers firmware from time to time as it is close by. The CNC really needs it's own due to tooling changes and setup but not really the power for CAD just needs to be able to handle the G-Code.

So general usage will still be one main PC with all the files on but I need to be able to grab them from the others as needed or I go to some sort of Network Storage which is probably a better idea.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #31828 on: May 23, 2019, 06:24:09 am »
I typically don't configure ANY wireless connection on ANY PC as a trusted network; it's too easy to get pwned. It's easy enough for someone who knows what they're doing anyways; but allowing that level of access to a wireless connection is just begging any script-kiddie with a android phone to rape your network.  :palm:

mnem
*Currrently installing STEAM*

Agreed. The PC in question is rarely powered up and is used only when I need to view schematics on bench #2. The only reason it's wireless is because I ran out of LAN slots on my router. All other PC's/Laptops are on a secure LAN and all are powered down except this laptop which goes to sleep after 3 minutes of inactivity. My Nokia WIN8 phone is also wireless on the network but there's nothing worth stealing off it unless you're looking for my Mother's phone number.  :-DD  I also have Netgear Genie which monitors and informs me of devices on the network. Someone would be pretty slick to get in without me knowing it.     
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31829 on: May 23, 2019, 06:59:05 am »
Things that make you go "Hmmmmmm...",

It seems that someone in the Poole area of the UK managed to bag a tremendous haul of test gear recently on Gumtree. I was checking through my old emails before confining them to the wast-paper basket and I came across this hoard for sale for just £15  :wtf: I wonder if it was anyone from this forum, if so please come forward and let us for sure just what was in the hoard and its condition, you might even win the Jimmy Git award.  :-DD :-DD :-DD

Yowwwzaa!   That right there is nerd-sniping at its finest; you actually made me put my coffee down to get a better look!  :-DD

mnem
mmmmm... cofffeeeeeeeeeeee...
Wow, I made you put your precious coffee down, man that takes something really special to have that effect on you[emoji28] just wish I'd seen it earlier, I'd gladly have made the 4 hour trip to collect those items. They even seem to be in reasonable condition [emoji53]

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31830 on: May 23, 2019, 07:01:54 am »
Soooo...

Installing Windoze on a EVO850 SSD I had lying around; I originally bought it for my XPS M1330 laptop but it is so old SSD didn’t make a noticeable improvement.  :palm:

Doing a slim build; just the stuff I need for Steam and VR. Install took only a few minutes, even over USB2.0 because my prehistoric MB doesn’t support boot from USB3.0.

Now comes the fun; slimming Win10 down and disabling all their crapwares. Looks like it installed basic RADEON drivers by itself; resolution bumped up to native while I was configuring security questions.

So far, loving the new Pixio Monitor; but my old machine just doesn’t have the oomph to get any decent frame rates. We’ll see if de-constipating Windoze itself helps.

See you all on the other side,

mnem
*sent by threatening an iPad with “further modifications” *
Windoze 10 automatically checks the hardware it's being installed on and loads the basic drivers required. It's quite good in that respect.

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31831 on: May 23, 2019, 07:30:52 am »
And you gunna properly align all that ?  :scared:

Yeah. It's not particularly difficult - don't need any test gear believe it or not as its got a voltmeter, RF power meter and frequency counter built in! I am slightly disappointed in this but will use test gear anyway because it's optional and this is TEA after all. Steps are:

1. Align master reference oscillator with external counter (optional and was bang on anyway - factory aligned and calibrated)
2. Plug internal counter probe into master PLL reference oscillator and run software controlled linearisation process to get rid of varactor non-linearities.
3. Plug internal counter probe into BFO circuit. Adjust BFO using reference table in manual and calibration values on crystal packet
4. Peak IF strip using noise generated within the preamp or external (I used a long wire antenna). This is all software, calibration value and table driven.
5. Peak all the BPFs in set order using a signal generator or external noise (I used DG1022Z and some cascaded 20dB inline attenuators for all bands other than 10m which was done on TF2015) and ears or voltmeter (I used HP 400E)
6. Plug dummy load in and peak all transmit trimcaps (it has built in power monitor for this)
7. Calibrate overcurrent protection (built in voltmeter and ammeter!)
8. Calibrate S-meter using signal generator and attenuators (optional but will be doing this)
8. Job done.

Apparently after the SSB board is done its best to connect a wideband noise source to the antenna port and then use a PC soundcard and FFT to align the SSB filters which I will do later. I haven't built that yet.

All in all a very very well thought out process.

I've got up to step 5 which there is a "stop for inspection" section and my eyes were not working.

Excellent work bd! So many parts, but all nicely placed, properly oriented, standing straight (on the top side at least), etc. :-+

The bottom kills my OCD. You have to bend a lot of the caps over as there's only 6mm clearance between that and the bottom of the case. It does however warn you of this and there's a check step to make sure nothing is wrong.

I have to say, that is a fine piece of work so far. I'm guessing you've done this before.  ;D

Maybe ;)

This outlines I need a decent signal generator like a 2019A or HP box though.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #31832 on: May 23, 2019, 07:38:03 am »
And you gunna properly align all that ?  :scared:
All in all a very very well thought out process.
Yes, hell yes.  :clap:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31833 on: May 23, 2019, 07:56:24 am »
Carnage here. Relative in hospital last couple of days after a second fall so been taxi :--

Got home 8pm, ordered curry, hit the K2 hard. RF board done:

Load of stuff on the bottom as well including the PA transistors to be case mounted

On the TEA from I have after much thought decided to shift the Fluke 87V and keep the plain 87. It's a much better meter all round apart from the backlight which I can live with perfectly fine. AC response is flatter, bargraph is actually useful, display viewing angle is better and it's good enough TBH.

Now going to eat microwaved curry and go to bed  :-DD

Excellent work bd! So many parts, but all nicely placed, properly oriented, standing straight (on the top side at least), etc. :-+
Yep totally agree, that's the differance having a properly designed and finished board / product makes. Most of bd's other bits are rough and ready prototypes made from his junk pile. It's good as  how they have developed ways of testing each finished assembly before complete assembly, I love that aspect of it.

Who let Murphy in?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #31834 on: May 23, 2019, 08:15:58 am »
The big question is what you consider proper oriented and whether bd139 agrees.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31835 on: May 23, 2019, 08:20:13 am »
Yep totally agree, that's the differance having a properly designed and finished board / product makes. Most of bd's other bits are rough and ready prototypes made from his junk pile. It's good as  how they have developed ways of testing each finished assembly before complete assembly, I love that aspect of it.

Yeah I rather would like to get to this stage with something I put together one day but the actual packaging of things takes 50% or more of the effort and by then I'm bored of it. :-DD ... sometimes it's best to just chuck it in a minibox and use it.

Let us remember Bob Pease for a moment here, the master of prototyping carnage!

I am surprised he didn't solder his beard into this.

The big question is what you consider proper oriented and whether bd139 agrees.

There are a couple of wonky blue film caps on the top which don't bother me too much. If you look closely you will see all the resistors have the tolerance band on the top or right end depending on orientation though ;)

The truth is in the testing and the receive chain is working at least. I haven't done final inspection or TX testing yet. That's the big smoke emitting test as it'll be drinking a couple of amps at least.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 08:21:44 am by bd139 »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31836 on: May 23, 2019, 12:42:26 pm »
Soooo...

Installing Windoze on a EVO850 SSD I had lying around; I originally bought it for my XPS M1330 laptop but it is so old SSD didn’t make a noticeable improvement.  :palm:

Doing a slim build; just the stuff I need for Steam and VR. Install took only a few minutes, even over USB2.0 because my prehistoric MB doesn’t support boot from USB3.0.

Now comes the fun; slimming Win10 down and disabling all their crapwares. Looks like it installed basic RADEON drivers by itself; resolution bumped up to native while I was configuring security questions.

So far, loving the new Pixio Monitor; but my old machine just doesn’t have the oomph to get any decent frame rates. We’ll see if de-constipating Windoze itself helps.

See you all on the other side,

mnem
*sent by threatening an iPad with “further modifications” *
Windoze 10 automatically checks the hardware it's being installed on and loads the basic drivers required. It's quite good in that respect.

Yeah, it's all the other crap they keep trying to take over or take away that pisses me off...

What's this BS with "white background not supported"?!?   How can a COLOR not be supported in an OS? Fucking arrogant assholes.  |O

Right now trying to figure out why it thinks my monitor is only reporting 48-60Hz refresh, when the same exact hardware reports 48-144Hz (as it should) on my old HDD. Think it has to do with the color bit depth vs what the card supports; trying to figure out how to change that now.  :palm:

In Other News...

https://mailchi.mp/mpja/mpja-email-specials-05-23-19

I got this in my eMail today. Some stupid crap, some fair deals for US vendor; cheap stackable bananas to try, nice ratcheting SPDT switch, cheap white LEDs good for backlighting, and some 1F/5.5V memory caps for a buck. That's 1/3F at 16.5V for $3; even with IR in the ~30Ω range, still useful. Or could build a capacitor-power LED flashlight...  >:D

mnem
*back into New Windoze Hell*
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 12:54:14 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #31837 on: May 23, 2019, 03:16:26 pm »
Just bought this gem from an Ebay seller. I always wanted a Drake SPR-4 as a kid but could never afford it. I sprung for this one this morning. I plan to change the icky blue LEDs out to something that looks much more original, and align the receiver.

More to come ...  :popcorn:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31838 on: May 23, 2019, 03:27:28 pm »
Puhh-nurrple?  :-DD

mnem
*agitating-ily*  >:D

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31839 on: May 23, 2019, 03:38:57 pm »
Puhh-nurrple?  :-DD

mnem
*agitating-ily*  >:D

Don't ask me to explain it.  :-//
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Housedad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31840 on: May 23, 2019, 04:21:42 pm »
Purple gauge lights?  Now THAT would be original. Good call Mnem.   ;D
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 04:23:36 pm by Housedad »
At least I'm still older than my test equipment

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31841 on: May 23, 2019, 04:28:34 pm »
Black text under a purple light, NOoooooooooooooooo makes it to hard to read clearly :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31842 on: May 23, 2019, 04:36:00 pm »
This is what the backlighting is supposed to look like. That's what we'll be shooting for.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31843 on: May 23, 2019, 04:39:47 pm »
Oh now that's a proper radio. Big  :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+

Edit: I hope all the crystals are good! It has a lot of them in it!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 04:41:29 pm by bd139 »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #31844 on: May 23, 2019, 04:44:27 pm »
I'm going to go against the grain and say that I kinda like that color.  :P

Ain't I a stinker.  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #31845 on: May 23, 2019, 04:57:26 pm »
Aw crap, just got notified from UPS that my order from Mouser is "Severe Weather Delay". Guess there's some bad storms, tornadoes, and flooding in the Mid-west.  Oh well.... :-//   

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31846 on: May 23, 2019, 05:01:21 pm »
Yesterday I received my new rectal thermometer. ;)

Here it is in comparison to my own contraption. I know they're almost indistinguishable, but let me tell you: real experts can tell them apart!  :-DD

I think I got kinda lucky here. Previously, I've only seen HV probes of unknown provenience for prices above 80 €. Now I got a real Fluke for less than half of that, with shipping. I think that actually was a fluke.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, beanflying, Kosmic

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31847 on: May 23, 2019, 05:01:30 pm »

@xrunner No idea what happened to your picture but I got nothing at all of what it is supposed to look like. Now this one looks good, not sure if its original lighting or not, but sure looks good, restful and easy to read.  :-+ :popcorn:

« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 05:04:26 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31848 on: May 23, 2019, 05:08:54 pm »

@xrunner No idea what happened to your picture but I got nothing at all of what it is supposed to look like. Now this one looks good, not sure if its original lighting or not, but sure looks good, restful and easy to read.  :-+ :popcorn:

Yep, sortof a turquoise color with the main crystal range left as the basic lamp color. The color was produced simply by colored plastic over certain areas. I'll have to see how the last person modded it and go from there.  ???

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #31849 on: May 23, 2019, 05:12:39 pm »
Yesterday I received my new rectal thermometer. ;)

Here it is in comparison to my own contraption. I know they're almost indistinguishable, but let me tell you: real experts can tell them apart!  :-DD

I think I got kinda lucky here. Previously, I've only seen HV probes of unknown provenience for prices above 80 €. Now I got a real Fluke for less than half of that, with shipping. I think that actually was a fluke.

They are almost a requirement if you work on equipment using a CRT. I use mine quite often. Just remember to set your DMM to 10MEG input impedance or you'll get inaccurate results. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf