Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14534882 times)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #31850 on: May 23, 2019, 06:23:27 pm »
I have a buggery stick made by Pintek. I'm not sure I entirely trust it if I'm honest. I'd rather like a Fluke one but they go for stupid prices here.

So 2 hours of work later and we have a working K2. The 20m BPF alignment is slightly out and the USB BFO is slightly off. However I will fix later.

https://youtu.be/Ae9YrY3Fv-Y

The ridiculous thing is the antenna I'm using here is just a bit of wire around the door / curtain rail / picture frame in the living room in a downstairs room in the middle of London. The radio seems to just suck up the signals. My FT818 was deaf.

The following users thanked this post: med6753, kj7e, mnementh, beanflying, Kosmic

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31851 on: May 23, 2019, 06:30:58 pm »
The radio seems to just suck up the signals.

Do you really have a noise level of S9+30 there or is your s-meter a bit optimistic?
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #31852 on: May 23, 2019, 06:40:38 pm »
So 2 hours of work later and we have a working K2. The 20m BPF alignment is slightly out and the USB BFO is slightly off. However I will fix later.

The ridiculous thing is the antenna I'm using here is just a bit of wire around the door / curtain rail / picture frame in the living room in a downstairs room in the middle of London. The radio seems to just suck up the signals. My FT818 was deaf.

I like the look of the radio. Good deal on the signals it's pulling in. Now think of what it could do with a proper dipole or better - it would kick butt.  :box:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31853 on: May 23, 2019, 06:51:23 pm »
@med: I would strip that down to bare parts and "rekit" it. I don't think I'd even try and fix that unless I had a couple of spare ones lying around  :-DD

Yea, it might wind up a total "re-kit". We'll see. Plan right now is to clean it up and repaint. Get all new tubular and B+ caps. Do some random checks of the carbon resistors. Give it the smoke test and see what happens.  :scared:

The CRT shows evidence of phosphor burn along the center line but it's not bad. And here's the 1955 Heathkit Catalog entry. A whooping -3db response at 200KHz!  :-DD

High voltages, no fuse, no ground wire. Way back when it was every man for himself.

I love it.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #31854 on: May 23, 2019, 06:53:52 pm »
I have a buggery stick made by Pintek. I'm not sure I entirely trust it if I'm honest. I'd rather like a Fluke one but they go for stupid prices here.

Excellent job!  :-+ Hopefully no smoke when you go to transmit. When will that big event be?
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #31855 on: May 23, 2019, 06:56:34 pm »

High voltages, no fuse, no ground wire. Way back when it was every man for himself.

I love it.

It separated the men from the little boys and gave Darwin a fighting chance.  >:D :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, Kosmic

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #31856 on: May 23, 2019, 07:02:39 pm »
Purple gauge lights?  Now THAT would be original. Good call Mnem.   ;D

Yup.  ;D

Black text under a purple light, NOoooooooooooooooo makes it to hard to read clearly :-DD

Nope. Just looks DELICIOUS. >:D

Yesterday I received my new rectal thermometer. ;)

Here it is in comparison to my own contraption. I know they're almost indistinguishable, but let me tell you: real experts can tell them apart!  :-DD

I think I got kinda lucky here. Previously, I've only seen HV probes of unknown provenience for prices above 80 €. Now I got a real Fluke for less than half of that, with shipping. I think that actually was a fluke.

Welcome to Probulator Club!

Remember; the first rule of Probulator club is NOBODY wants to know where you put that damned thing!!!  :-DD

mnem

Fuu-u-u... now I can't stop...  |O
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 07:22:47 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31857 on: May 23, 2019, 07:07:20 pm »
The radio seems to just suck up the signals.

Do you really have a noise level of S9+30 there or is your s-meter a bit optimistic?

S meter is uncalibrated. Waiting for another 20db attenuator to turn up!

I like the look of the radio. Good deal on the signals it's pulling in. Now think of what it could do with a proper dipole or better - it would kick butt.  :box:

Yeah I’ve got half of one outside. Need to reassemble it. It does when my fence did as that was anchored to it  :(

Excellent job!  :-+ Hopefully no smoke when you go to transmit. When will that big event be?

It has already shoved 15W into a dummy load. Building ATU and SSB module before I TX on air.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31858 on: May 23, 2019, 07:32:54 pm »
@bd139, that K2 is seriously impressive and you have done excellently to get it this point so far and no magic smoke has been allowed to escape  :-+, keep this and maybe that other name they give you, could be buried  :-DD Keen to see just how that performs when connected to a proper antenna, it sure looks to be extremely sensitive.  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31859 on: May 23, 2019, 07:39:05 pm »

Yup.  ;D

Black text under a purple light, NOoooooooooooooooo makes it to hard to read clearly :-DD

Not to my eyes it doesn't the contrast between black and purple is seriously lacking. Its readable but requires a far longer glance to see the information and sometimes you might not be able take that bit of extra time to read it.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31860 on: May 23, 2019, 08:19:24 pm »
Didn't you want to say 'Purple gauche lights'?

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #31861 on: May 23, 2019, 09:01:03 pm »
@bd139 - serious congratulations - looks great - Elecraft do great gear - almost impossible to get here in Aus.
Rob
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31862 on: May 23, 2019, 09:20:43 pm »

Yup.  ;D   

Not to my eyes it doesn't the contrast between black and purple is seriously lacking. Its readable but requires a far longer glance to see the information and sometimes you might not be able take that bit of extra time to read it.

Sorry; you simply cannot appreciate from a photo how much better than stock this backlighting is. I literally had to turn it down to 10% just to be able to take pictures of it. It is visible in direct sunlight at 60%. And I promise you; the one thing this radio doesn't suffer from is poor contrast.

As you like it...  >:D

mnem
*Lit AF*
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 09:28:41 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31863 on: May 23, 2019, 09:42:43 pm »

https://youtu.be/Ae9YrY3Fv-Y

Looking great man.  :-+ Guess you'll be able to hear me cussing up in Canada...  :-DD

mnem
*&@#$?$%!!!*

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31864 on: May 23, 2019, 10:07:29 pm »
LMAO hopefully less cussing than the current location :-DD

Some comedy radio action here which made me laugh. Vintage SSB tune up ... skip to 1:25 and listen for about a minute: http://vintagessb.net/wimpy/VintageSSBReplay%203-23-2019.mp3

Calibrated S-meter. Apparently on my shittena I have S1 noise which is pretty good!

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #31865 on: May 23, 2019, 10:09:22 pm »

Yup.  ;D   

Sorry; you simply cannot appreciate from a photo how much better than stock this backlighting is. I literally had to turn it down to 10% just to be able to take pictures of it. It is visible in direct sunlight at 60%. And I promise you; the one thing this radio doesn't suffer from is poor contrast.

As you like it...  >:D

mnem
*Lit AF*

Show off!  :P :P :D

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #31866 on: May 23, 2019, 10:16:48 pm »
LMAO hopefully less cussing than the current location :-DD

Some comedy radio action here which made me laugh. Vintage SSB tune up ... skip to 1:25 and listen for about a minute: http://vintagessb.net/wimpy/VintageSSBReplay%203-23-2019.mp3

Calibrated S-meter. Apparently on my shittena I have S1 noise which is pretty good!

Freaking Slop Bucket and all those guys tuning up over each other.  :palm: The AM boys have much better discipline.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31867 on: May 23, 2019, 10:18:49 pm »
That's because there's only like 2 of them still alive  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #31868 on: May 23, 2019, 10:21:49 pm »
That's because there's only like 2 of them still alive  :-DD

Maybe over there but on this side of the pond there is a very active 75 meter AM group.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31869 on: May 23, 2019, 10:41:51 pm »
Yeah it's dead here completely. Instead we have 80m SSB which is one of those bands I am thankful that I don't have enough space for a decent antenna for. There's some good stuff at the bottom but above the first 80KHz it's all health problems and politics.

Top band is quite active here though. There's a regular net, the frequency I forget, which is hilarious. It's basically like the goon show.

Edit: 160m is shit as well now: http://www.160m.net/ (tune to 1920KHz) ... aortic aneurysm scan...
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 10:45:52 pm by bd139 »

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #31870 on: May 24, 2019, 12:27:23 am »
Just need to find some shelf space for it now  :palm: Rolled a simple 3DP light box to play with clear etched panels so I cut the duff 419A panel to drop on the test one. The box will take a 100mm strip of tape just need to tweak the internal box for the wider WS2812 tape. Tested the Grey with edge light - FAIL as expected ;)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #31871 on: May 24, 2019, 12:28:36 am »
Yesterday I received my new rectal thermometer. ;)

Here it is in comparison to my own contraption. I know they're almost indistinguishable, but let me tell you: real experts can tell them apart!  :-DD

I think I got kinda lucky here. Previously, I've only seen HV probes of unknown provenience for prices above 80 €. Now I got a real Fluke for less than half of that, with shipping. I think that actually was a fluke.

HV Bodge  :scared:  :-DD Good deal on the Fluke  :-+
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #31872 on: May 24, 2019, 02:47:30 am »
I did another round of work with the guy that filled his garage with test equipment. The lot buyer I introduced to him came by and bought almost all of it. I am pretty sure he got a screaming deal, given some of the stuff in the pile.  But he didn't take any of the boxes of parts, so last night I dug through and sorted them, or most of them.  I came home with a large carton of transistors, PCB blanks, some more discrete components, ICs, and DIP sockets. He probably has three or four thousand dollars worth of ICs and other stuff if he wants to go through the agony of being an ebay component seller. Not something I want to do, though I admit to be tempted.

I started the final stage of the cleaning and re-org project at 530AM. At the end of the day, the first set of shelving is up, the test equipment and ham gear is sorted, stored and inventoried. Tomorrow the second set of shelves go into place, the remaining gear, parts, and cable will be sorted and stored, and I will actually be able to find stuff when I need it.

Getting my shop in order has solidified my desire to release some of this gear back into the wild. My wife may be right... I don't really have a use for four 8640Bs.  Two, maybe, but not four.   ;D
specialization is for insects.

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #31873 on: May 24, 2019, 02:52:57 am »
I have one 8640B now and I love it. It's in nearly perfect condition.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, kj7e, nixiefreqq

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #31874 on: May 24, 2019, 02:57:19 am »
Received my HP 11570A accessory set for the 8405A vector voltmeter today. It includes everything you need to do 50 ohm network measurements with the 8405A, except for a couple of pads that you may or may not need depending on the input power. You zero the phasemeter with the arrangement shown in the second pic (noting the amplitude shown on the voltmeter; the probe below is the phase reference), and then insert your DUT between the power splitter and the probe shown on top, and note the amplitude delta and the phase angle shown.

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf