Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14550952 times)

Wallace Gasiewicz, materialsguy, jazzmann, cf4044 and 23 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #32900 on: June 10, 2019, 11:54:36 am »
Philips / BC components. Should be a 2222 under that black wire if it is.

Edit: BTW they ain't cheap - about €70 a go.

Cheers bd139, might be that!

Unfortunately it seems to be dead, discharges seconds after turning off supply voltage.  :-\

We were discussing them a few weeks back, I have a couple of small ones with that same case.

Got my USB RGB strips and controllers in to play with. Under $3/unit for pushbutton or under $4 with a remote control - crazy  :o

Just need to get on and cut some Acrylic bits after a final tweak of the design.

Yep Youtube linking is broken  :-//

https://youtu.be/nvjXoZizHRA
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 11:59:40 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32901 on: June 10, 2019, 11:56:38 am »
Philips / BC components. Should be a 2222 under that black wire if it is.

Edit: BTW they ain't cheap - about €70 a go.

Cheers bd139, might be that!

Unfortunately it seems to be dead, discharges seconds after turning off supply voltage.  :-\

Yeah that doesn't surprise me. Those Philips ones are well known for going wonky.

Kemet sell some cheaper ones that are likely close enough. 25V, 39000uF.  A381FD393M025A. TME sell them as well.

Check the thread spacing and ripple current compared to the original ones though as I didn't check that!

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32902 on: June 10, 2019, 01:07:56 pm »
Ok all this speak of crap spectrum analysers and stuff has got my appetite whet for finishing off my crap spectrum analyser :-DD

Project underway. Am doing a hybrid of the W7ZOI one with VU2ESE's mods and some of my own blocks I have been working on (200Hz RBW filter, software front end) which should give me the ability to build a tracking generator for it later and shift a lot of the calibration and normalization off to software on a PC. Nothing spectacular here. DC to ~70MHZ which gives me the 5rd harmonics of the highest HF band I work in. Going to AVR-gcc it rather than tarduino and use the thing as a dumb command/query serial API.

Objectively this will be a CRAP spectrum analyser. But it'll allow me to feck around and see if very basic things are doing what they are supposed to be inside the radios I build rather than pissing in the dark and ending up with wet socks which is the current status quo. So harmonics, filter measurement, looking at mixer products etc.

Budget is set at 6% of the price of a DSA815TG as I mostly have the parts already.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 01:10:37 pm by bd139 »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #32903 on: June 10, 2019, 01:45:02 pm »
Looking forward to seeing your version of an SA.  :-+

The Heath CRT is out for delivery. Mail typically arrives here about 11:30 which is 2 hours from now. I'll get the scope prep'ed for the transplant. 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32904 on: June 10, 2019, 01:47:24 pm »
Was it a new CRT or a pull you snagged?

Reminds me of this if it was a pull which someone sent me the other day  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #32905 on: June 10, 2019, 01:58:10 pm »
It was a pull and the seller guaranteed 100% functional. We share see.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #32906 on: June 10, 2019, 04:14:39 pm »
Good luck med; I hope it's everything the seller promised. You deserve a break on this project, it's been a total charlie-foxtrot so far.  :-+ 
If it's any consolation, it HAS been a LOT of fun watching you beat the damned thing into submission by force of wit and will alone.
  :-DD

mnem
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 05:59:53 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32907 on: June 10, 2019, 04:35:23 pm »
Got my USB RGB strips and controllers in to play with. Under $3/unit for pushbutton or under $4 with a remote control - crazy  :o

Just need to get on and cut some Acrylic bits after a final tweak of the design.

Yup. Same thing I found when I was doing my Taranis RGB backlighting mod.

You can find 3-button multimode RGB controllers for 99¢, and ones with IR remote for $1.75-$2.75 and RF remote a dollar or two more than those, depending on how fancy the remote is. Even in small lengths, the 5050 RGB strip is cheap... like 10m for $4-5. A lot of vendors out there doing this by stitching together "cut ends" and selling the result as 5-15m "short reels" of strip. The only problem I've had was vendors misrepresenting the LED density; "accidentally" sending low-density 30LED/m strip instead of the "standard" 60LED/m.  :palm:

WS2812 strips are not much more expensive, and both types are also available with RF remotes that can easily be embedded in your project requiring no external holes at all. But the PWM noise generated by all of them is atrocious; especially the high-density WS2812 144LED/m stuff, which is typically controlled by bit-banging a DAC output at 1.25uS PW on an Atmega8 or an ATTiny.  :o It ALSO draws crazy current... like 4A at max brightness on a ~150mm long strip like this one.  :scared:

But man... the light sure is even and the "footlighting effect" seen in my TX screen and your panels totally disappears. :-+

Since I did my DIY, we've had two or three new generations of LED development; 5630 RGB/RGBW LEDs are now commonplace, with as much as 3x the lumens for almost the same current draw.

Pololu's product page on the stuff gives you a good start on understanding how addressable LEDs think; their prices are crazy-high, but they do sell better-quality strip and you're paying "STEM/Junior Robotics Lab" prices if you buy from them.

Ok all this speak of crap spectrum analysers and stuff has got my appetite whet for finishing off my crap spectrum analyser :-DD

Project underway. Am doing a hybrid of the W7ZOI one with VU2ESE's mods and some of my own blocks I have been working on (200Hz RBW filter, software front end) which should give me the ability to build a tracking generator for it later and shift a lot of the calibration and normalization off to software on a PC. Nothing spectacular here. DC to ~70MHZ which gives me the 5rd harmonics of the highest HF band I work in. Going to AVR-gcc it rather than tarduino and use the thing as a dumb command/query serial API.

Objectively this will be a CRAP spectrum analyzer. But it'll allow me to feck around and see if very basic things are doing what they are supposed to be inside the radios I build rather than pissing in the dark and ending up with wet socks which is the current status quo. So harmonics, filter measurement, looking at mixer products etc.

Budget is set at 6% of the price of a DSA815TG as I mostly have the parts already.

Fabulous... simply fabulous!

mnem
* instigating-ily *
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 06:01:36 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #32908 on: June 10, 2019, 04:36:07 pm »
What a difference the correct CRT makes!  :-+ Nice and bright.  :-+ First pix is just picking up 60Hz hum. 2nd pix is 5KHz sine but you can see it's not clean. A lot of 60Hz hum riding on the signal. The vertical amp is picking up a lot of hum even with the vertical input shorted. So I have to track down the source which shouldn't be too difficult. 

The new CRT is almost 2 inches longer and with the socket installed is coming dangerously close to contacting the case in the rear when it's installed. So I'll have to remedy that. The seller's packaging was excellent. Took me damn near 5 minutes to get it unpacked. :-DD

The following users thanked this post: kj7e, bd139, Kosmic

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32909 on: June 10, 2019, 04:39:27 pm »
Nice work! Compared to the state it was in to start with that is quite frankly a miracle!

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #32910 on: June 10, 2019, 04:55:18 pm »
Nice work! Compared to the state it was in to start with that is quite frankly a miracle!

Thanks!  :-+ It has been one hell of a project and not quite done yet. I have to excise that hum from the vertical amp. Could be a lot of things. Bad tube. Lead dress. Considering the sloppy wiring that wouldn't surprise me. And there's a big .02uf disc ceramic bypass cap from the 2nd grid of the vertical output tube that I didn't change that could be the culprit. Or.....it's currently out of the case. So it could be picking up stray hum. But that's later. In the meantime going to let cook for a while. And I noticed that despite the hum the sync is surprisingly stable.  :-+

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32911 on: June 10, 2019, 05:54:17 pm »
Was it a new CRT or a pull you snagged?      Reminds me of this if it was a pull which someone sent me the other day  :-DD

Yeah.... but eventually you have to stop & think about where that CRT was pulled from. Given the total CF this project's been so far, I wouldn't be surprised if the donor was in better condition than the scope it's going into.  :palm:

It's just med's perverse tenacity that has kept the project going so far; he's been like a ornery ol' dog with a bone on this one.  ;)

mnem
Carry on, 'Sir Doggedly' !!!  :-+
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 05:58:52 pm by mnementh »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32912 on: June 10, 2019, 06:25:40 pm »
@med, well done with that Heathkit scope, considering what it was like when you got, it been a real labour of love this, it must be because you have so much more usable ones already in your ownership, its just been an exhibition of you doggedness to see it through. Personally, I'd have never started it in the first place, I would have skipped it straight away  :-DD

So credit to you for sticking to it and seeing it through, question is now, what do you plan to do with it now?  :-// :clap:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: med6753

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #32913 on: June 10, 2019, 07:13:21 pm »
Was it a new CRT or a pull you snagged?      Reminds me of this if it was a pull which someone sent me the other day  :-DD

Yeah.... but eventually you have to stop & think about where that CRT was pulled from. Given the total CF this project's been so far, I wouldn't be surprised if the donor was in better condition than the scope it's going into.  :palm:

It's just med's perverse tenacity that has kept the project going so far; he's been like a ornery ol' dog with a bone on this one.  ;)

mnem
Carry on, 'Sir Doggedly' !!!  :-+

Woof!  :-DD

I put the scope back in the case and still has hum on the vertical. Also, tried grounding the scope and no change. So that eliminated those items. I'll have to trace it out.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #32914 on: June 10, 2019, 09:02:04 pm »
@med, well done with that Heathkit scope, considering what it was like when you got, it been a real labour of love this, it must be because you have so much more usable ones already in your ownership, its just been an exhibition of you doggedness to see it through. Personally, I'd have never started it in the first place, I would have skipped it straight away  :-DD

So credit to you for sticking to it and seeing it through, question is now, what do you plan to do with it now?  :-// :clap:

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it just yet. Let's face it, it ain't good for nothing expect perhaps working on audio gear. And it certainly looks out of place surrounded by Tek scopes. But I've wanted a vacuum tube project for quite a while to dust off old skills and bring back memories of my youth. It certainly has done that and it's been fun. And when I saw it in that pile of electronics that Kosmic picked up I knew I had to have it. It was the perfect size and while it appeared to be a total basket case I knew it had potential.

I changed both 12AU7's in the vertical amp and it still has a hum issue. So tomorrow I'll start signal tracing with a 300MHz 2465 to fix a 400KHz OL-1.  :-DD

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #32915 on: June 10, 2019, 09:19:24 pm »
What a difference the correct CRT makes!  :-+ Nice and bright.  :-+ First pix is just picking up 60Hz hum. 2nd pix is 5KHz sine but you can see it's not clean. A lot of 60Hz hum riding on the signal. The vertical amp is picking up a lot of hum even with the vertical input shorted. So I have to track down the source which shouldn't be too difficult. 

The new CRT is almost 2 inches longer and with the socket installed is coming dangerously close to contacting the case in the rear when it's installed. So I'll have to remedy that. The seller's packaging was excellent. Took me damn near 5 minutes to get it unpacked. :-DD

lookit that glow!

nice work, med. you have been relentless on this one.   :-+
specialization is for insects.

The following users thanked this post: med6753

Offline No.Mad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32916 on: June 10, 2019, 10:05:55 pm »
Maybe not as splendid as mnementh or med6753 work shown before but here's my today's' small contribution to rehabilitation process of poor, mishandled test instruments :)

First before, two another after soapy bath, and last two after final touches.

Regards

The following users thanked this post: med6753, kj7e, mnementh

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32917 on: June 10, 2019, 10:11:13 pm »
I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it just yet. Let's face it, it ain't good for nothing expect perhaps working on audio gear. And it certainly looks out of place surrounded by Tek scopes. But I've wanted a vacuum tube project for quite a while to dust off old skills and bring back memories of my youth. It certainly has done that and it's been fun. And when I saw it in that pile of electronics that Kosmic picked up I knew I had to have it. It was the perfect size and while it appeared to be a total basket case I knew it had potential.

I changed both 12AU7's in the vertical amp and it still has a hum issue. So tomorrow I'll start signal tracing with a 300MHz 2465 to fix a 400KHz OL-1.  :-DD

Well, I've learned a lot with your resto. Thank you. Add this to the list of things for what your scope has been useful.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #32918 on: June 10, 2019, 10:57:24 pm »

Well, I've learned a lot with your resto. Thank you. Add this to the list of things for what your scope has been useful.

You're welcome. If you want to learn more check out "Mr Carlson's Lab" on YouTube. His resto's and rebuilds make mine look like amateur hour.  ;D

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32919 on: June 10, 2019, 11:33:05 pm »

Yeah, its probably a cap thats failing or as you said, down to the poor cable routing of the original builder.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #32920 on: June 10, 2019, 11:54:43 pm »
Today I got a box of goodies from a nice gent on the HPAK list. Mainly a lot of General Radio stuff, and also a very nice shape 8740A transmission test unit. Pics to come as I go through it all...

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #32921 on: June 11, 2019, 02:08:37 am »

Yup. Same thing I found when I was doing my Taranis RGB backlighting mod.

You can find 3-button multimode RGB controllers for 99¢, and ones with IR remote for $1.75-$2.75 and RF remote a dollar or two more than those, depending on how fancy the remote is. Even in small lengths, the 5050 RGB strip is cheap... like 10m for $4-5. A lot of vendors out there doing this by stitching together "cut ends" and selling the result as 5-15m "short reels" of strip. The only problem I've had was vendors misrepresenting the LED density; "accidentally" sending low-density 30LED/m strip instead of the "standard" 60LED/m.  :palm:

WS2812 strips are not much more expensive, and both types are also available with RF remotes that can easily be embedded in your project requiring no external holes at all. But the PWM noise generated by all of them is atrocious; especially the high-density WS2812 144LED/m stuff, which is typically controlled by bit-banging a DAC output at 1.25uS PW on an Atmega8 or an ATTiny.  :o It ALSO draws crazy current... like 4A at max brightness on a ~150mm long strip like this one.  :scared:

But man... the light sure is even and the "footlighting effect" seen in my TX screen and your panels totally disappears. :-+

Since I did my DIY, we've had two or three new generations of LED development; 5630 RGB/RGBW LEDs are now commonplace, with as much as 3x the lumens for almost the same current draw.

Pololu's product page on the stuff gives you a good start on understanding how addressable LEDs think; their prices are crazy-high, but they do sell better-quality strip and you're paying "STEM/Junior Robotics Lab" prices if you buy from them.

I have some WS2812 strip and discrete Led's but to much bother for just 6 of them. It's Nice to now have the 5V RGB strip option easily available for little projects for not much money. Dropped the wrappers off them for a look, close clones of each other but different board maker and take the switches off the IR version and swap the driver chip on the same board. I think I will make a version for the IR board vertically inside the base as it should go through a few mm of smoke grey.

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #32922 on: June 11, 2019, 02:29:49 am »
Today I got a box of goodies from a nice gent on the HPAK list. Mainly a lot of General Radio stuff, and also a very nice shape 8740A transmission test unit. Pics to come as I go through it all...

Really nice pile of things for just the cost of shipping. A lot of GR-874 stuff, of which I had none. The trombone line is pretty cool, and apparently quite expensive according to some fleabay sellers...

The following users thanked this post: kj7e

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #32923 on: June 11, 2019, 02:44:09 am »

You're welcome. If you want to learn more check out "Mr Carlson's Lab" on YouTube. His resto's and rebuilds make mine look like amateur hour.  ;D

It's still amazing considering what a mess it was. As for what to do with it, it could go on the display shelf between the Teks. Since you mentioned audio, you could have it "play" the soundtrack from the TV or something.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #32924 on: June 11, 2019, 02:44:50 am »
Maybe not as splendid as mnementh or med6753 work shown before but here's my today's' small contribution to rehabilitation process of poor, mishandled test instruments :)

First before, two another after soapy bath, and last two after final touches.

Nice cleanup. Does this mean the gasoline worked without melting the panel label?
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf