Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14553604 times)

SingleBitError, Vince, battlecoder, HalFoster and 20 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline syau

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #32975 on: June 11, 2019, 11:29:21 pm »
That's actually normal for a crystal oscillator. I believe Dave did a video on it.

Ah, yes. Here it is:

I'm disappointed - I was expecting Dave to flip the frequency standard over to see whether it affected the output frequency.   ;D

:-DD

Rubidium standard is known to be affected by magnetic field

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #32976 on: June 11, 2019, 11:42:17 pm »

Tomorrow is a long trog to pick up the scanning tunnelling microscope and a leopard.

I do not hang out in many places in which scanning tunneling microscope and leopard are used in the same sentence, let alone included as items in a to-do shopping list.   :-DD   :-DD

fixed that for you...  ;)

Nah.

I've had the leopard since 1961, and no money was exchanged since it is a family heirloom.

We bought the STM a week ago - the "to do" part is figuring out how to get the <expletive deleted> thing to do something. First task is, of course, to figure out how we can see/tell if it is responding to any stimulus we might give it!
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #32977 on: June 11, 2019, 11:46:12 pm »
I feel my vicarious recounting of these events is MUCH more fun.  :-DD

mnem
Dood... just go with it.  :P
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #32978 on: June 11, 2019, 11:47:18 pm »

Tomorrow is a long trog to pick up the scanning tunnelling microscope and a leopard.

I do not hang out in many places in which scanning tunneling microscope and leopard are used in the same sentence, let alone included as items in a to-do list. 

:-DD   :-DD

Welcome to TEA, which also stands for, "Today's Eclectic Aside." ^-^
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: worsthorse

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #32979 on: June 11, 2019, 11:48:23 pm »
Yesterday I ordered some kelvin clips and ponoma wire for test leads from Arrow.  Approximately 70USD and free shipping, as usual. The only difference this time is that the SAVE12 discount coupon didn't work.

Today is it shows up, Fedex Overnight, packed in a box with paper, two large plastic bags, three static bags, two more plastic bags, and five sheets of invoices and packing lists. All but the two plastic bags for the wire required hand packing.

Pretty much everything I get from them is packed and shipped like this, whether it costs seven dollars or seven hundred. How do they manage to stay in business? I just don't get it. 

* wch wanders off to rip apart the spare TL-21 for his LCR meter and make it even better with new kelvin leads...

specialization is for insects.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32980 on: June 11, 2019, 11:49:57 pm »
You're lucky they all came in the same box. Just sayin'... (mine seem to always get split up)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32981 on: June 11, 2019, 11:58:30 pm »

I do not hang out in many places in which scanning tunneling microscope and leopard are used in the same sentence, let alone included as items in a to-do list. 

:-DD   :-DD

Welcome to TEA, which also stands for, "Today's Eclectic Aside." ^-^

Hmmm... okay.

Today I: Handled and misplaced radioactive isotopes, retained a solicitor from another country, committed "Prime while ability impaired" and ate baked potatoes with filet mignon butchered and grilled by my own hand. While my wife looked on in approval.  >:D

mnem
*Toddles off to start Season 11 of Doctor Who*
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 12:00:09 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32982 on: June 12, 2019, 12:01:22 am »
That sounds like a lot more fun than the cross-timezone cat herding I went through today at work to get a new project off the ground.

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32983 on: June 12, 2019, 01:21:40 am »
Today is it shows up, Fedex Overnight, packed in a box with paper, two large plastic bags, three static bags, two more plastic bags, and five sheets of invoices and packing lists. All but the two plastic bags for the wire required hand packing.

Arrow are unbelievable. I ordered a small Cypress usb controller, just the chip. Received this:

The box in the picture was itself contained in a huge box. At first I thought they made a error with my order, then I realized they were just really inefficient.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #32984 on: June 12, 2019, 01:23:56 am »
Day - um!  :phew:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32985 on: June 12, 2019, 01:24:36 am »

Hmmm... okay.

Today I: Handled and misplaced radioactive isotopes, retained a solicitor from another country, committed "Prime while ability impaired" and ate baked potatoes with filet mignon butchered and grilled by my own hand. While my wife looked on in approval.  >:D

mnem

Did you start with the whole cow and work your way down to that hunk of meat or were you talking about the potatoes?

>:D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32986 on: June 12, 2019, 02:02:29 am »

Hmmm... okay.

mnem

Did you start with the whole cow and work your way down to that hunk of meat or were you talking about the potatoes?  >:D

https://youtu.be/00rTe8aPB5M
This. And yes, I did butcher and grill the potatoes by my own hand as well.  :-DD
PLUS I beat both the front yard AND the back jungle into submission... ON THE SAME DAY!      I am

mnem
Anybody got a Geiger Counter I can borrow...?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 02:11:08 am by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32987 on: June 12, 2019, 02:29:41 am »

Arrow are unbelievable. I ordered a small Cypress usb controller, just the chip. Received this:         

The box in the picture was itself contained in a huge box. At first I thought they made a error with my order, then I realized they were just really inefficient.

You're mistaking "economies of scale" for inefficiency. The same warehouse will ALSO supply 5000 or 50000 pieces in those machine-fed pick & place trays. On top of that they need to maintain a fixed humidity level through the packing process AND shipping it to YOU or any R&D lab; who are likely going to want the bulk packaging so they can set up line automation anyways.

In that scenario, which is more inefficient; keeping stock of 100 different sizes of single-serving trays (which you also have to maintain humidity control on throughout their storage) or recycling a couple of the big flats they already have and get for free from the chip manufacturer?  ;)

mnem
*Infinitely scaly-able*
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 02:31:34 am by mnementh »

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32988 on: June 12, 2019, 02:47:06 am »
mnem

excuse me, but how exactly does one, um, misplace radioactive isotopes?  aren't they usually kept in stuff like this:

or did you get yours in a mayonaise jar or something?   :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32989 on: June 12, 2019, 03:22:24 am »
   "Or something"...  :o

I bought some tritium vials for much too little off AliEx a while back. I had them earlier today; I'm sure they'll turn up. :P  I don't think they'll set off a Geiger Counter; but I know for a fact my little vial of old Timex watch hands will, even as dim as most of them are now.

mnem
*Radio-active*

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32990 on: June 12, 2019, 03:59:29 am »
   "Or something"...  :o

I bought some tritium vials for much too little off AliEx a while back. I had them earlier today; I'm sure they'll turn up. :P  I don't think they'll set off a Geiger Counter; but I know for a fact my little vial of old Timex watch hands will, even as dim as most of them are now.

mnem
*Radio-active*

And this is why this forum is such a time sink...

mnen says, quite innocently, i misplaced some radioactive isotopes and, of course, i take the bait. and then he says, i bought some tritium vials for much too little off AliEx a while back and now i am off and running... what do you use tritium vials for? and why are they on AE? and suddenly I find myself in a twisty maze of prepper/edc forums all alike.

... and the night is gone.   |O

edit: and that's before i notice, "my little vial of timex watch hands".   huh? what did you say? wha...

« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 04:01:09 am by wch »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #32991 on: June 12, 2019, 04:01:44 am »
As the TEA thread moves up the NSA/DSD watch list  :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, worsthorse

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #32992 on: June 12, 2019, 04:02:48 am »
@mnem maybe you can get one of those FLIR radiation meters advertised here (it can even identify the isotope(s) responsible):

"If you have to ask, you probably can't afford it"  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Carl_Smith

• Frequent Contributor
    • MegaMicroWatt - Carl Smith's Blog
« Reply #32993 on: June 12, 2019, 04:04:50 am »
There were rumors on twitcher that the free overnight shipping from Arrow is over.  So I did a google search and found that Arrow's site now says you only get free shipping on orders over $50.  Orders under $50 will have a $12.99 handling fee applied.
https://www.arrow.com/en/terms-and-conditions/free-overnight-shipping

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #32994 on: June 12, 2019, 05:14:52 am »

Hmmm... okay.

mnem

Did you start with the whole cow and work your way down to that hunk of meat or were you talking about the potatoes?  >:D

https://youtu.be/00rTe8aPB5M
This. And yes, I did butcher and grill the potatoes by my own hand as well.  :-DD
PLUS I beat both the front yard AND the back jungle into submission... ON THE SAME DAY!      I am

mnem
PS I actually have a Geiger counter, one of the mighty ohm ones - my most radioactive source is an old gas  mantle - thorium I believe.
https://mightyohm.com/blog/products/geiger-counter/
Rob
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32995 on: June 12, 2019, 05:26:53 am »

https://youtu.be/KKdzhPiOqqg

*whistles innocently then skulks away*

That battery wound up in Dave's mailbag a couple years ago...  :o

mnem
You're wellll-come!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 05:39:50 am by mnementh »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32996 on: June 12, 2019, 05:39:20 am »

TEA: Threat Escalation Accelerator

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Neomys Sapiens

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32997 on: June 12, 2019, 05:48:56 am »

Hmmm... okay.

mnem

Did you start with the whole cow and work your way down to that hunk of meat or were you talking about the potatoes?

>:D
His other lesser known name is Desperate Dan, the Cow Pie Man and his signature dish is Cow Pie with horns poking though the crust. [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Edit

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 07:46:03 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #32998 on: June 12, 2019, 06:22:32 am »
mnem

excuse me, but how exactly does one, um, misplace radioactive isotopes?  aren't they usually kept in stuff like this:

or did you get yours in a mayonaise jar or something?   :-DD

Close but no cigar.

I buy mine in cardboard containers in the local supermarket. See https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/gb/groceries/lo-salt-reduced-sodium-salt-alternative-350g and think of K40.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32999 on: June 12, 2019, 11:15:00 am »
The first of many parcels has arrived for the restoration of the Hacker Amplifier, 1 down and 9 to come and then its the turn of the RF and IF boards, this could get expensive I think  :palm: But I think the end result should be well worth it though.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf