Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14553573 times)

SingleBitError, Vince, battlecoder, HalFoster and 19 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #33075 on: June 13, 2019, 09:23:03 pm »
Hahaha I literally just did that tetris game  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33076 on: June 13, 2019, 09:46:34 pm »
Hahaha I literally just did that tetris game  :-DD
I'm the only person who can fill it correctly and I'm guessing it's the same for you too?

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33077 on: June 13, 2019, 09:50:50 pm »
Snap. That is 100% correct. It only actually comes out clean when I load it.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #33078 on: June 13, 2019, 10:01:02 pm »
Yeah; I'm the one who spent 3 years working in a Ding & Dent Appliance Shop, and the one they sent to Whirlpool Tech School to (among other things) learn how to properly stack a dishwasher FROM THE PEOPLE WHO MAKE THE EFFING THINGS... and still my wife & kids argue with me when I tell them for like the 1000th time "Please don't (insert dumb dishwasher mistake here)"...   |O

mnem
bitter? moi?  >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #33079 on: June 13, 2019, 10:07:41 pm »
[EDIT]      I just tripped over this while looking for something else. [/EDIT] >:D eBay auction: #362619939251

mnem
*tinker-ily*
What is that and what is it used for?

It is a 1KΩ wirewound rheostat; a distant cousin to the VARIAC in this. Of course, the eBay listing tells you the basics. ;) They were commonly used for small motor speed control and and to dim lighting. And on the bench for substitution to determine  best values for a fixed resistor in a circuit.

For those interested, I just posted a full teardown of this beauty in its own thread on the TE Forum.    PM me if you're interested in giving ugly sister a home; of course my TEA brethren will get first crack and a great deal.  >:D

mnem
*Simplify*

lmao @ your 1st answer  :-DD

2nd answer is well cool!  :-+ 
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #33080 on: June 13, 2019, 10:20:29 pm »
Motivation arrived in the shape of a really nice Kennedy machinist's toolbox which I cleaned up and stuffed full of all my electronic & precision type tools. That got me looking at the workbench and I moved onto some more buying! I got tired of trying to figure out what's sideways with my two fried FG501s  |O  :-BROKE, and... wait for it... yeah, you guessed it, bought ANOTHER FG501 of eBay  :-+. No, really, I can quit any time!. It's just that I need a working sig gen so I can get further into what's off with that pile of dead stereo gear in the corner.  I also picked up one of those 3' long JAMMA extender cables, so some under-power testing of the two fried units may now proceed apace, with maybe less frustrating results.

You are home...welcome!  :-+ Taking 3 piles of junk to make one working pile is standard practice around here. I took bits from 1 dead Tek 465 and another dead Tek 465B to make one working 465B. And in between that madness bought ANOTHER 465B that was claimed to be not working and I was going to use for parts but turned out just needed minor repair. So when the dust settled I have two working 465B's, one parts 465B, and one parts 465. I'm sure your FG501's will suddenly multiply at the same rate....just like rabbits. So I extend a hearty welcome to our rabbit hole....

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mrz80

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #33081 on: June 13, 2019, 10:33:02 pm »
Taking 3 piles of junk to make one working pile is standard practice around here. I took bits from 1 dead Tek 465 and another dead Tek 465B to make one working 465B. And in between that madness bought ANOTHER 465B that was claimed to be not working and I was going to use for parts but turned out just needed minor repair. So when the dust settled I have two working 465B's, one parts 465B, and one parts 465.
On that matter, could you help this newbie with parts for his 465 ?
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/tektronix-465-how-to-trigger-ic-amplifier/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #33082 on: June 13, 2019, 10:38:50 pm »
Taking 3 piles of junk to make one working pile is standard practice around here. I took bits from 1 dead Tek 465 and another dead Tek 465B to make one working 465B. And in between that madness bought ANOTHER 465B that was claimed to be not working and I was going to use for parts but turned out just needed minor repair. So when the dust settled I have two working 465B's, one parts 465B, and one parts 465.
On that matter, could you help this newbie with parts for his 465 ?
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/tektronix-465-how-to-trigger-ic-amplifier/

Funny...I saw that post first and responded before I saw your post here. Talk about being on the same wavelength.  :-DD

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #33083 on: June 13, 2019, 10:59:53 pm »
Motivation arrived in the shape of a really nice Kennedy machinist's toolbox which I cleaned up and stuffed full of all my electronic & precision type tools. That got me looking at the workbench and I moved onto some more buying! I got tired of trying to figure out what's sideways with my two fried FG501s  |O  :-BROKE, and... wait for it... yeah, you guessed it, bought ANOTHER FG501 of eBay  :-+. No, really, I can quit any time!. It's just that I need a working sig gen so I can get further into what's off with that pile of dead stereo gear in the corner.  I also picked up one of those 3' long JAMMA extender cables, so some under-power testing of the two fried units may now proceed apace, with maybe less frustrating results.

Sure you can. Anytime you want.   :-DD   :-DD

In the BIG CLEANUP I discovered that I had accumulated five TM500 DMMs because almost every time I bought some other plugin, one of those came along with it. Of course, I would chuck it into the look at this later and see what if it works pile and promptly forget about it. Because, you know, hoarding happens.

And those extenders are a life saver. I bought a fancy one from a guy on the TM500 list and I don't know how I'd work on all the junkers I have without it.
specialization is for insects.

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33084 on: June 13, 2019, 11:01:52 pm »
Yeah; I'm the one who spent 3 years working in a Ding & Dent Appliance Shop, and the one they sent to Whirlpool Tech School to (among other things) learn how to properly stack a dishwasher FROM THE PEOPLE WHO MAKE THE EFFING THINGS... and still my wife & kids argue with me when I tell them for like the 1000th time "Please don't (insert dumb dishwasher mistake here)"...   |O

mnem

dude, someone paid you to go to school to learn how to load a dishwater?  is this a great country or what?   :-DD

* wch wanders off to put a new, bigger, better LOG1 antenna in the yard because well, he can.

1Loop On Ground
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 11:04:31 pm by wch »

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33085 on: June 13, 2019, 11:07:01 pm »
Snap. That is 100% correct. It only actually comes out clean when I load it.

Same here  :-DD the worst is when my mother in law is doing it. She pile stuff on top of each other. Most of the time I'm reordering everything when she is not looking  >:D

The following users thanked this post: mrz80

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33086 on: June 13, 2019, 11:15:12 pm »

Good job med  :-+

You just convinced me to not touch anything with a tube  :)

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33087 on: June 13, 2019, 11:19:12 pm »
My most recent TEA was at work, so I have a little bit of equipment in my office rather than have to go to the lab. Besides, some genius blew up the frontend of the (extremely expensive) Keysight scope in the lab...so it's nice to have my own.  |O
Let me guess - you have simultaneously discovered my idea: make the company buy now what you will make it shed in a year (into your waiting hands), as you are in control of the specification, which has to keep up with the newest developments, of course...
And make them shed it into your hands without a real payment, as it is to be the compensation for tools and instruments already provided by you to them. Which gives you a constantly growing pool of assets , for the use of which you can take control of even more of the preexisting lab equipment.
Well played, dear colleague!

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #33088 on: June 13, 2019, 11:24:14 pm »
I discovered that I had accumulated five TM500 DMMs because almost every time I bought some other plugin, one of those came along with it. Of course, I would chuck it into the look at this later and see what if it works pile and promptly forget about it. Because, you know, hoarding happens.

I'd buy it from you but I already have one.  :-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: worsthorse

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #33089 on: June 13, 2019, 11:56:01 pm »
My most recent TEA was at work, so I have a little bit of equipment in my office rather than have to go to the lab. Besides, some genius blew up the frontend of the (extremely expensive) Keysight scope in the lab...so it's nice to have my own.  |O
Let me guess - you have simultaneously discovered my idea: make the company buy now what you will make it shed in a year (into your waiting hands), as you are in control of the specification, which has to keep up with the newest developments, of course...
And make them shed it into your hands without a real payment, as it is to be the compensation for tools and instruments already provided by you to them. Which gives you a constantly growing pool of assets , for the use of which you can take control of even more of the preexisting lab equipment.
Well played, dear colleague!

Why, yes!  >:D In other news, the LeCroy 9450 I acquired for my office is a really slick scope...and the crt is in good shape...no burn in, bright and crisp. The orange phosphor is pleasing to look at as well. Looked up catalog prices, and it was ~20k yankee bux in 1990.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #33090 on: June 14, 2019, 12:11:55 am »

Good job med  :-+

You just convinced me to not touch anything with a tube  :)

Shucks...it was just a little bite, but it sure did wake me up!  :scared: :-DD

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #33091 on: June 14, 2019, 01:41:54 am »
I'll call that Karma.

I still have the occasional disturbing flashback to a certain fan...

Offline Housedad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #33092 on: June 14, 2019, 03:07:41 am »
Ah, I have such nostalgic memories of yanking a tube from  a TV,  going to the local Radio Shack, and sticking it in the tester machine to test.  I feel all warm and fuzzy now.

The real question, though, is how in the hell I did not do the electron dance and die in high school doing that stuff.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 03:15:00 am by Housedad »
At least I'm still older than my test equipment

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33093 on: June 14, 2019, 03:56:26 am »
DE-5000 with both fixtures for $36? Free shipping from the United States? Seller located in China.

Scam? Hijacked truck?   Has somebody ripped off the DE-5000 design? 

:wtf:

eBay auction: #323831860749

The TL-21 fixture alone costs $22. The cheapest I've seen the meter without either fixture is about $80. The full setup usually goes for $115 or so.   

:scared:

« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 04:00:50 am by wch »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #33094 on: June 14, 2019, 04:21:59 am »
DE-5000 with both fixtures for $36? Free shipping from the United States? Seller located in China.

Scam? Hijacked truck?   Has somebody ripped off the DE-5000 design? 

:wtf:

eBay auction: #323831860749

The TL-21 fixture alone costs $22. The cheapest I've seen the meter without either fixture is about $80. The full setup usually goes for $115 or so.   

:scared:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/der-ee-de-5000-counterfeit/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline mrz80

• Contributor
  • The carpet is plush!
    • The Scotsman's Site of Web
« Reply #33095 on: June 14, 2019, 04:27:07 am »
. I'm sure your FG501's will suddenly multiply at the same rate....just like rabbits.

That'd be cool if that happens. If I end up  with enough of 'em, I could maybe build an analog modular synthesizer out of Tek signal generators. That would be AWESOME.  : :-DD
Networks, Les Pauls, Telecasters, ham radio (WA4UF), bicycles, trains

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #33096 on: June 14, 2019, 05:10:08 am »

mnem

dude, someone paid you to go to school to learn how to load a dishwater?  is this a great country or what?   :-DD

* wch wanders off to put a new, bigger, better LOG1 antenna in the yard because well, he can.

1Loop On Ground

Yes, and I dunno... and when I tell you why they taught me that in the factory training seminars, you're going to  :palm: just as hard as I did.

It was so Dumbfuckistani consumers (otherwise known as Texas locals) could be shown by a FACTORY TRAINED TECHNICIAN how to load a dishwasher. The logic was (I don't want to KNOW how many jizzilions of dollars they spent figuring this out; a helluva lot more than they paid me) that if they were shown how to do it right by a factory trained technician, who then warned them that the next service call for the same problem would cost them actual money, they might actually listen. No fucking kidding.  :o

The "consumer education" we were taught concentrated primarily on arranging the dishes laterally allowing a gap up the center so that all dishes face the center and to to keep from blocking the telescoping jet in the center that feeds the top rack rotor, and to not load big flat things like baking sheets and broiler pans so they're right against the front door. The former causes top-rack to not get clean, the latter often actually causes some of the silverware to get food baked on WORSE, because they never get wet but the heat from the drying cycle does convect up right through the silverware basket in the door.  |O

Good job med  :-+   You just convinced me to not touch anything with a tube  :)

That TOTALLY made me snortle IRL.  :-DD Also probably wise advice, that NO-ONE in here will follow...  :P

I'll call that Karma. I still have the occasional disturbing flashback to a certain fan...

Twist a little harder, Brumby. He's not crying yet.  :-DD

eBay auction: #323831860749   DE-5000 with both fixtures for $36? Free shipping from the United States? Seller located in China. Scam? Hijacked truck?   Has somebody ripped off the DE-5000 design? 

:wtf:   The TL-21 fixture alone costs $22. The cheapest I've seen the meter without either fixture is about $80. The full setup usually goes for $115 or so.  :scared:

Hmmmm... Seller's account is current, numerous positive feedback sales over the last few months, but almost exclusively Chinese-import model hobbyist kits and parts. Maybe hacked account, as this and a couple dozen other not-hobby-related products went up on the account a few days ago.

*Clicks [BUY IT NOW] just for shits & giggles*

eBay didn't try to make me do funny shit with my PayPal funding like some of these China-Derpy-Direct merchants do; we'll see what shows up. Worst case scenario, you just bought me a box full of poop, buddy.  :-DD

mnem
*Toddling off to ded*
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 05:12:35 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33097 on: June 14, 2019, 07:43:11 am »
@med,sorry but I totally missed the fact that we're bitten by the B+, bloody hurts don't it. Did you drop or was it on the bench?

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33098 on: June 14, 2019, 07:48:51 am »
I think being bitten by it is rite of passage  :-DD

The thing that always gets me is the bits of kit which specifically have an X2 capacitor across the inlet before the switch. When I'm unplugging shit on the bench and moving things around I'll occasionally stick my fingers across the plug pins by accident and that little bastard will empty into me. Depending on where it was on the AC cycle when you pulled the plug this can be somewhere between "hmm" to "holy fuckadoodle you little wanker". Either way the plug gets dropped which is hazardous with our monstrous things. I'm waiting until I drop one on a toe or something.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #33099 on: June 14, 2019, 07:57:00 am »
Either way the plug gets dropped which is hazardous with our monstrous things. I'm waiting until I drop one on a toe or something.

You can get trainers with steel toecaps for £25. They also protect against teenagers trying to influence you by treading on your toes: simply smile beatifically, and say "my turn now".
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf