Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14552848 times)

Qw3rtzuiop, ch_scr and 21 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #33275 on: June 16, 2019, 12:16:53 pm »
There you go, see you just wern't meant to go after all. Is she OK now, tell the other 2 off and  :wtf: were they doing if they didn't notice, sure she must have screamed or cried :palm:

I don’t think she noticed to start with to be honest. It has been slightly wobbly for a bit.

Well good job I didn’t go to that ham fest as my youngest just kneed herself in the face doing ninja kicks and knocked a tooth out then proceeded to wipe blood over everything and the older two didn’t even notice  :palm:

Oh no! A primary or secondary tooth? :scared:

Primary (baby tooth here) fortunately although there was a bit of a panic working out if it was one or not.

The oldest two were both glued to Netflix  :palm: 

As usually I was in the damn shower when this event occurred  :palm:

Anyway on to test gear business. Need something to repair. eBay is not fruitful at the moment. I looked at a Heathkit SB104 that popped up today but discovered it needed extender cards and was missing the CW filter :(

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #33276 on: June 16, 2019, 12:32:04 pm »
I come up with several videos of cookie monster and John Oliver but not that one.

:(   How about dailymotion? Sadly, the quality of the video is poor but probably it'll work:

That works.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #33277 on: June 16, 2019, 12:35:32 pm »
There you go, see you just wern't meant to go after all. Is she OK now, tell the other 2 off and  :wtf: were they doing if they didn't notice, sure she must have screamed or cried :palm:

I don’t think she noticed to start with to be honest. It has been slightly wobbly for a bit.

Well good job I didn’t go to that ham fest as my youngest just kneed herself in the face doing ninja kicks and knocked a tooth out then proceeded to wipe blood over everything and the older two didn’t even notice  :palm:

Primary (baby tooth here) fortunately although there was a bit of a panic working out if it was one or not.

Anyway on to test gear business. Need something to repair. eBay is not fruitful at the moment. I looked at a Heathkit SB104 that popped up today but discovered it needed extender cards and was missing the CW filter :(

That's a relief. Yea, we call them "baby teeth" too but wasn't sure if you guys did. After all....it's a COOKIE, not BUSCUIT.  :-DD :-DD   

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33278 on: June 16, 2019, 12:59:17 pm »

That's a relief. Yea, we call them "baby teeth" too but wasn't sure if you guys did. After all....it's a COOKIE, not BUSCUIT.  :-DD :-DD
Don't get us started on that line, it's like a bonnet v hood, bumper v fender [emoji28][emoji28]

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #33279 on: June 16, 2019, 01:06:32 pm »

Don't get us started on that line, it's like a bonnet v hood, bumper v fender [emoji28][emoji28]

boot v trunk
petrol v gas
lorry v truck
roundabout v traffic circle (rare here, you guys love them)
Underground v subway

I could go on, and on, and on...... :-DD :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33280 on: June 16, 2019, 01:15:21 pm »

boot v trunk
petrol v gas
lorry v truck
Underground v subway

Yeah, I went on a tour of RAF Lakenheath which the USAF use as fighter base they were talking about roundabouts, also they telling us about their Humvees were costing so much a copy, we say each etc, trousers v pants etc but broadly speaking we all understand each other pretty well. [emoji12]

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #33281 on: June 16, 2019, 01:32:05 pm »

boot v trunk
petrol v gas
lorry v truck
Underground v subway

Yeah, I went on a tour of RAF Lakenheath which the USAF use as fighter base they were talking about roundabouts, also they telling us about their Humvees were costing so much a copy, we say each etc, trousers v pants etc but broadly speaking we all understand each other pretty well. [emoji12]

And to add confusion.....our traffic circles go counter clockwise. But you say "anti clockwise"  :-DD And where traffic circles do exist American drivers are befuddled by them. There's a big one in Kingston and there's accidents often. Drivers don't understand to enter you YIELD to the cars coming at you from the left (In your case from the right). They just pull right out into the circle without looking.  :palm:

And it seems all languages have dialects. My Puerto Rican ex worked for a landscaping firm that hired many Mexicans. BIG difference between Puerto Rican Spanish and Mexican Spanish although they can communicate by choosing words carefully.     

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33282 on: June 16, 2019, 01:39:30 pm »
We are notorious crack smokers when it comes to the roundabouts  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #33283 on: June 16, 2019, 01:44:14 pm »
Over here in about 10 seconds all those vintage cars would be in a massive pile up.  :o :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33284 on: June 16, 2019, 01:47:08 pm »
That wouldn't surprise me.

We have our own idiots though

The following users thanked this post: Kosmic

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #33285 on: June 16, 2019, 01:50:22 pm »
I rate that an 8 for hang time. If he had landed on his wheels I would have given him a 10.  :-DD

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #33286 on: June 16, 2019, 01:52:03 pm »
We have a saying here that applies to stupid things people attempt to do -

What did the redneck say right before he died?

"Hey - hold my beer and watch this!"

:popcorn:
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 03:32:49 pm by xrunner »
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: Kosmic

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33287 on: June 16, 2019, 02:08:54 pm »
Why use 7 letters when 4 will do ie, counter v anti and bd139 is right, we have quite a few of those magic roundabouts over here, many have more then 7 mini roundabouts on them as well. It's always a laugh watching strangers use them but you need your head on a swivel and eyes in the back of your head as well[emoji6][emoji1787]

Who let Murphy in?

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #33288 on: June 16, 2019, 02:47:51 pm »
   Did you actually LOOK at the screenshot you quoted?

You mean this:

No, I didn't need to scroll in seven steps to find the picture I wanted. That's why the spurious eel slap wasn't obvious. I suspect your assessment below is correct.

[EDIT] If I scroll down on those reviews, I can see that the rest of them refer to it as a prep school; so yup, my misunderstanding. Officially known as Dulverton House, Bristol BS1 6RB, UK

I would then guess that the "Eel Slap Centre" pin is most likely a school kid's prank. [/EDIT]

There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33289 on: June 16, 2019, 03:00:53 pm »
No radio rally for me. Slept through my alarm and don’t fancy a 200 mile round trip now. Will have to lurk on eBay instead

Well, I got a modulation domain analyser for £50, yet another spectrum analyser for £40, and

<snurfle, grump, wozzat, wakes up, feels grumpy>

Actually it wasn't wonderful. I got one thing I wanted (a cheap metal case suitable for my DekaStat) and a couple of bits and pieces.

There were several HP1741As for £5 each, but the aluminium case was corroded and the bags for leads had mildew. I think one of them might have been sold.

In the cafe afterwards I was chatting to rather disappointed punter who had trogged from Plymouth, a 230mile round trip.

So, Newbury next week but I probably won't bother if it is wet (neither will at least on vendor).
Chippenham in a month is small but I have a soft spot since I got my DekaStat there for £10; maybe there will be a silent key.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33290 on: June 16, 2019, 03:03:41 pm »
The real problem with TEA is fitting the gear into the space available, spent the weekend, rebuilding a taller shelving unit, behind and incorporating the desk- on the north wall. Not finished yet - I want a split shelf - on the right side - so I have to get some nice aluminium angle. I am starting to rearrange the other shelves as well.
A bit of a PITA - but I am not moving country!

Looking good  :-+

It's a good idea to have the shelves behind the bench. I should do something like that but my main bench was made to fit in a specific corner and it's actually fixed to the wall  :-\

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33291 on: June 16, 2019, 03:07:11 pm »
The real problem with TEA is fitting the gear into the space available, spent the weekend, rebuilding a taller shelving unit, behind and incorporating the desk- on the north wall. Not finished yet - I want a split shelf - on the right side - so I have to get some nice aluminium angle. I am starting to rearrange the other shelves as well.
A bit of a PITA - but I am not moving country!

Volt-nut question: whats the purpose of the metal box on the 3458 terminals ? Equilibrate temperature and protect from thermal emf ?

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33292 on: June 16, 2019, 03:08:06 pm »

When I had my Land Rover, I really wanted someone to give me the (standard) direction "go straight over at the next roundabout". Would have done it more slowly and deliberately than that, though.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33293 on: June 16, 2019, 03:10:25 pm »
Volt-nut question: whats the purpose of the metal box on the 3458 terminals ? Equilibrate temperature and protect from thermal emf ?

Almost certainly draft elimination, so yes.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33294 on: June 16, 2019, 03:15:44 pm »

When I had my Land Rover, I really wanted someone to give me the (standard) direction "go straight over at the next roundabout". Would have done it more slowly and deliberately than that, though.
I bet the driver did a "Cleveland Steamer" in his pants [emoji16]

Who let Murphy in?

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33295 on: June 16, 2019, 03:20:44 pm »

I like those videos, always laughing  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #33296 on: June 16, 2019, 03:23:06 pm »
Did an experiment. Was successful. No smoke. These damn Tek attenuator switch decks. Had a 7A26 plug in acting up on channel 1. Tek specifically states IPA only. Bull.  :bullshit: Got out the Deoxit Gold G5 and went to town. Fixed it. That's going to be my "go to" from now on.  :-+

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33297 on: June 16, 2019, 03:27:05 pm »
Did an experiment. Was successful. No smoke. These damn Tek attenuator switch decks. Had a 7A26 plug in acting up on channel 1. Tek specifically states IPA only. Bull.  :bullshit: Got out the Deoxit Gold G5 and went to town. Fixed it. That's going to be my "go to" from now on.  :-+

When deoxit G5 is not working I usually try with D100.

The funny thing with Deoxit is that as the model numbers go up the bottle shrink  ^-^

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33298 on: June 16, 2019, 03:32:03 pm »

When deoxit G5 is not working I usually try with D100.

The funny thing with Deoxit is that as the model numbers go up the bottle shrink  ^-^

Also did you ever used Deoxit S5 after to protect those switchs?

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #33299 on: June 16, 2019, 03:35:59 pm »

Recognisable. Did they look up?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf