Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14788402 times)

Ismo, Vince, mankan and 157 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #33850 on: June 27, 2019, 01:31:35 am »

Lifting the bonnet once a week can spot these things...........

HUH?  :-// :-DD
Might that be called a hood too ?  :P
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #33851 on: June 27, 2019, 01:32:29 am »

Lifting the bonnet once a week can spot these things...........

HUH?  :-// :-DD
Might that be called a hood too ?  :P

Bingo!  :P :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #33852 on: June 27, 2019, 01:32:54 am »
Sweet, is that an Alsatian then, look like one to me and they do grow at quite a rate.

Half Shepard, half boxer.  She is only 10 weeks now.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #33853 on: June 27, 2019, 01:36:59 am »
Is her name Bingo? It sounds like those guys are talking about a pup in funny headgear doing some shoplifting down in the 'hood...  :wtf:

mnem
Mmmm..... that's some GOOOOOD cough syrup...  :o
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #33854 on: June 27, 2019, 01:40:25 am »

Woah, all that in a month?!? :o

You should see her eat  :scared:

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #33855 on: June 27, 2019, 01:47:29 am »
Is her name Bingo? It sounds like those guys are talking about a pup in funny headgear doing some shoplifting down in the 'hood...  :wtf:

mnem
Mmmm..... that's some GOOOOOD cough syrup...  :o

It sounds like you need to step away from the keyboard.  :-DD :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33856 on: June 27, 2019, 01:56:26 am »
Woah, all that in a month?!? :o
You should see her eat  :scared:

:-DD

It sounds like you need to step away from the keyboard.  :-DD :-DD

Yes... that might be best for everyone within splatter distance...  :o

mnem
*Toddles off to his sick-bed*

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33857 on: June 27, 2019, 06:25:53 am »
Sweet, is that an Alsatian then, look like one to me and they do grow at quite a rate.

Half Shepard, half boxer.  She is only 10 weeks now.
You can clearly see the Shepherd in her, please don't dock her tail will you? Even with her being part Boxer, I still think it's so cruel. It's bad enough if something happens, like my cat did when a dog chewed her tail, she had to lose it to save her life. [emoji190]

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33858 on: June 27, 2019, 07:00:11 am »
And I have at least four pieces of Tek kit with RIFAs that I haven't replaced because they are sitting in the repair queue but now I am convinced that they are going to spontaneously explode, laying waste to my collection.

That's too optimistic: the little bustards can also be found inside IEC sockets with or without switches and voltage selectors. One of those added 50% to the cost of my 8.5 digit DVM.

That's also too pessimistic: they don't spontaneously disassociate, they wait for 30s after the equipment is turned on.

I think the most fun one I had was the PM3217. It wasn’t even on. Just sitting there in the corner. Absolutely fine. Hmm what’s that funny smell? Don’t know. Close the window thinking it’s outside. Smell gets worse. Start sniffing around eventually leading to the corner of the living room. Nothing powered up. Can’t be that. So I put my hand on the scope and it’s red hot. Dive on the socket to turn it off and crack it open. Thick smoke comes out. Fortunately the scope was mostly saved because the butt half of it is separate and all the action happened behind a thick sheet of FR4 they install offer the hot side of the power supply.

They also turn up in other things. From experience Kenwood mixers, Henry hoovers, Miele stuff, older Philips televisions.

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #33859 on: June 27, 2019, 07:20:47 am »
There's a rare beast on German eBay: https://www.ebay.de/itm/RIESIGER-2-Strahl-Oszi-Oszilloskop-Oscilloscope-Tektronix-556-RM/283519389520?hash=item4203128f50:g:1n4AAOSwNz1dB55N

Even without plug-ins and in non-working condition, the machine is very tempting, especially at this price.
But the image of Ero-shan going there by train to collect it and carrying it home makes me cringe. :scared: No way this is going to happen.

Maybe one of the other Germans (with cars) is interested. The same seller offers an 585A (sans plug-in) also ..

Doesn't just have to be Germans, I'm overdue for a trip to Düsseldorf and Dortmund is only just up the road. A drop of Dortmunder would make a change from (the nevertheless excellent) Düsseldorf Altbier. Alas, the date for my next trip hasn't yet been set.

I certainly didn't intend to leave the rest of the world out, but it appeared unlikely that someone from the UK (or the south of France or ...) would drive to Dortmund within the next few days just to get this piece. If he did, he might as well drive it to my place.  :-DD

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #33860 on: June 27, 2019, 07:36:44 am »
And I have at least four pieces of Tek kit with RIFAs that I haven't replaced because they are sitting in the repair queue but now I am convinced that they are going to spontaneously explode, laying waste to my collection.

That's too optimistic: the little bustards can also be found inside IEC sockets with or without switches and voltage selectors. One of those added 50% to the cost of my 8.5 digit DVM.

That's also too pessimistic: they don't spontaneously disassociate, they wait for 30s after the equipment is turned on.

I think the most fun one I had was the PM3217. It wasn’t even on. Just sitting there in the corner. Absolutely fine. Hmm what’s that funny smell? Don’t know. Close the window thinking it’s outside. Smell gets worse. Start sniffing around eventually leading to the corner of the living room. Nothing powered up. Can’t be that. So I put my hand on the scope and it’s red hot. Dive on the socket to turn it off and crack it open. Thick smoke comes out. Fortunately the scope was mostly saved because the butt half of it is separate and all the action happened behind a thick sheet of FR4 they install offer the hot side of the power supply.

They also turn up in other things. From experience Kenwood mixers, Henry hoovers, Miele stuff, older Philips televisions.

Obviously it depends on where the caps are relative to the switch.

In some equipment a reference is left permanently powered; the switch is only for the other bits.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33861 on: June 27, 2019, 07:53:52 am »
Most of the ones I’ve seen appear before the switch. Of course Schaffer get their dirty fingers in there too with the RIFA hand grenades.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33862 on: June 27, 2019, 08:00:13 am »
Likewise here, I think that designs like that should be bloody banned, even more dangerous than a Boeing 737-Max8 because they can only go into a fatal dive when crewed up and in use.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #33863 on: June 27, 2019, 08:32:47 am »
1/2 of the shack roof screwed down instead of lifted and missing nails = A First triple pink Gin painkiller because I am not as young as I once was.

1/2 a Lemon to avoid scurvy and it counts as fruit  ;D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #33864 on: June 27, 2019, 08:34:42 am »
 :-DD

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, mnementh, worsthorse, Neomys Sapiens, beanflying

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33865 on: June 27, 2019, 08:36:01 am »
Hahahaha that's awesome  :-+  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #33866 on: June 27, 2019, 08:42:32 am »
Yep.  :-+

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33867 on: June 27, 2019, 11:08:16 am »
Most of the ones I’ve seen appear before the switch. Of course Schaffer get their dirty fingers in there too with the RIFA hand grenades.

these are on order.   price seems pretty good.

they should solve my problem.......right?  (if not i may have to misquote Shakespeare again)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1uF-275VAC-275V-250V-10-Panasonic-polyester-X2-Safety-capacitors-10-pcs/301498310342?epid=1718297293&hash=item4632b31ec6:g:olEAAOSw1vlUwCD5

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25-Iskra-001uF-300VAC-300V-275V-250V-100V-Y2-safety-polypropylene-capacitors/300946999952?hash=item4611d6ca90:g:XJAAAOxyXTRSBaSE
free range primate

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #33868 on: June 27, 2019, 01:20:10 pm »
Randomness - Ginclub  >:D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #33869 on: June 27, 2019, 01:22:33 pm »
You can clearly see the Shepherd in her, please don't dock her tail will you? Even with her being part Boxer, I still think it's so cruel. It's bad enough if something happens, like my cat did when a dog chewed her tail, she had to lose it to save her life. [emoji190]

My wife and I prefer dogs with tails.  Not sure why anyone would cut them off.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33870 on: June 27, 2019, 01:23:25 pm »

these are on order.   price seems pretty good.

they should solve my problem.......right?  (if not i may have to misquote Shakespeare again)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1uF-275VAC-275V-250V-10-Panasonic-polyester-X2-Safety-capacitors-10-pcs/301498310342?epid=1718297293&hash=item4632b31ec6:g:olEAAOSw1vlUwCD5

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25-Iskra-001uF-300VAC-300V-275V-250V-100V-Y2-safety-polypropylene-capacitors/300946999952?hash=item4611d6ca90:g:XJAAAOxyXTRSBaSE

Yeah they will do. Main thing is to watch the lead pitch.

I bought replacement RIFA units. RIFA out RIFA in. They wont explode for 10 years :)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33871 on: June 27, 2019, 01:37:09 pm »
*gurgles wetly* argg. Still sick.

mnem

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #33872 on: June 27, 2019, 01:44:29 pm »
Anybody some helpful advice how to solder these 1mm² thingies?

https://www.mouser.de/ProductDetail/667-FJ4B01120L1
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #33873 on: June 27, 2019, 02:18:50 pm »
Anybody some helpful advice how to solder these 1mm² thingies?

https://www.mouser.de/ProductDetail/667-FJ4B01120L1

Unless research indicates any better alternatives, with only a few solder balls I would treat them as SMD devices:
  • if creating a whole board, use the saucepan technique, optionally with sand to buffer the heat
  • if replacing one component, protect surrounding components with polyimide tape, blast it off with a hot air gun, put new one on with a hot air gun set to a low airflow
You can correctly infer that I haven't done BGAs myself.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33874 on: June 27, 2019, 03:20:21 pm »
Fucks sake. Prescaler IC I ordered is out of stock suddenly.  :--

More hunting!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf