Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14563357 times)

Robert763 and 22 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #35125 on: July 19, 2019, 11:17:22 am »
Forget about supporting a metre long lens, then.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #35126 on: July 19, 2019, 11:28:22 am »
Just plonk him on the head first.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #35127 on: July 19, 2019, 11:34:59 am »
Just plonk him on the head first.

Do you think this will make any difference?  :-//    ;D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #35128 on: July 19, 2019, 01:25:06 pm »
Rain or not I am so jealous. I've never seen a BUFF up close like that.  :o :-//

One time, about 30 years ago, saw a B-52H that was perhaps 1500 feet up fly by.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #35129 on: July 19, 2019, 01:34:13 pm »
Do you think this will make any difference?  :-//    ;D
Only if you do it hard enough. If not you at least had fun.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35130 on: July 19, 2019, 02:16:33 pm »
Well I’ve been rained out. Bailing out  :--

Got some EF typhoon, E3 and A400 action and SFA else.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #35131 on: July 19, 2019, 02:23:15 pm »

My fetish, a few decades ago, was SR71s.

I very occasionally saw them flying over, then was surprised to be able to get within 10m of one (armed guard "in the way"), and watched them leaking fuel as they roared down the runway.

Finally I got to touch them in a museum; they still look gorgeous, almost as gorgeous as a high performance glider.

Other fun was regularly watching Concorde cruise overhead at noon, shortly before it started accelerating to mach 2.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35132 on: July 19, 2019, 02:49:48 pm »
Other fun was regularly watching Concorde cruise overhead at noon, shortly before it started accelerating to mach 2.

I once stood at the end of the runway when one took off, it's kind of special ;)
That was the last time one visited Amsterdam
(and also the first time? Not sure, but they were not a regular)
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #35133 on: July 19, 2019, 03:31:05 pm »

I very occasionally saw them flying over, then was surprised to be able to get within 10m of one (armed guard "in the way"), and watched them leaking fuel as they roared down the runway.

Finally I got to touch them in a museum; they still look gorgeous, almost as gorgeous as a high performance glider.

I've been to the USS Interpid in Manhattan and it has an earlier variant A12 on the flight deck. Very impression aircraft.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #35134 on: July 19, 2019, 03:38:46 pm »

www.habu.org

mnem
Yes, those links are from memory. ;)
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #35135 on: July 19, 2019, 03:46:35 pm »
No discussion of the SR-71 is complete without the ground speed check story from Los Angeles ARTCC ("Center"):

https://theaviationgeekclub.com/sr-71-blackbird-pilot-tells-story-behind-famed-ground-speed-check/

"I heard a Cessna ask for a readout of its ground speed.
’90 knots’ Center replied.

Moments later,a Twin Beech required the same.
‘120 knots,’ Center answered.

We weren’t the only ones proud of our ground speed that day…as almost instantly an F-18 smugly transmitted, ‘Ah, Center, Dusty 52 requests ground speed readout.’
There was a slight pause, then the response, ‘620 knots on the ground, Dusty.’

Another silent pause.

As I was thinking to myself how ripe a situation this was, I heard a familiar click of a radio transmission coming from my back-seater. It was at that precise moment I realized Walt and I had become a real crew, for we were both thinking in unison.
‘Center, Aspen 20, you got a ground speed readout for us?’
There was a longer than normal pause … ‘Aspen, I show 1,942 knots.’

No further inquiries were heard on that frequency."
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 03:48:53 pm by 0culus »

Offline battlecoder

• Regular Contributor
    • A BIT of Mystery
« Reply #35136 on: July 19, 2019, 03:48:26 pm »
Well because of you guys I may... (or may not, depending on my luck) return in a couple of days with a frequency counter.

May the TEA gods bless you with a good find like I was just blessed.  ;D

I fixed the broken case on the Fluke 1912A and it's a little rough but OK. Even the bail handle adjusts with no issues and locks properly in place.  :-+
A Fluke 1912A ? Now that's the stuff.

Thanks for the good wishes. It's really hard to find decent gear here in my country, unfortunately, let alone at a decent price.
I think I'll eventually bite the bullet and just score something nice off of eBay and pay hell in taxes to bring it here.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #35137 on: July 19, 2019, 04:24:57 pm »
Got both the 1912A and 7260A powered up and going to let them cook for at least 18-24 hours and stabilize. Then do some comparative readings. I figure the Type 191 is an excellent source for that. If they agree within reasonable amount (yet to be determined) then I'm cool. If they don't then I'm sure the anal in me will rear it's ugly head and the next thing you know I'm a time-nut.  :palm: Now if that happens I blame you guys.  :o After all, I can't possibly be held responsible for my own actions....I have to blame SOMEONE.  :-DD 

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #35138 on: July 19, 2019, 04:43:01 pm »
So two GPSDO's (modified with better GNSS RX's and OCXO's) and a third on the way and 8 very good OCXO's on the bench  :palm:

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Kosmic, 0culus

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35139 on: July 19, 2019, 04:46:32 pm »

I've been to the USS Interpid in Manhattan and it has an earlier variant A12 on the flight deck. Very impression aircraft.

Sunday I'll be up close and personal with a Buffy and they usually have one on static display and another doing a flight display with a Lancer as well. There is a SR71 up in the American museum at Duxford and you can actually touch it as well. I also saw one flying at RAF Mildenhall at one of their air shows when they used to host one annually a few years a go.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35140 on: July 19, 2019, 05:02:02 pm »

So, how are your webbed feet then  :-DD I remember one year that all the off base car parks got flooded and they had to get in tractors to pull cars onto the road and another year it was cancelled due to flooding, then they introduced a limited amount of on base parking to help reduce the problems. Did you see the Spanish Harrier, there was supposed to be 2, 1 at each half of the runway but only one was serviceable I understand. Hopefully there will be 2 up on Sunday and the weather is supposed to good as well. I also understand that the F35 did a single slow flypast and beat its way back to RAF Marham because it was so wet today. Thats the problem with air shows these days, they always advance tickets only so you can't take a view on the weather and then go or not accordingly on the day  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35141 on: July 19, 2019, 05:09:58 pm »
I want one of them now.

Away from TE until tomorrow evening. Currently lurking in a shit hotel. Air tattoo tomorrow. Pissing it down all day though so will be shite. Will post any photos if I get any.  Saw red arrows practicing on the way.
I'm going Sunday, it's supposed to be the day weather wise. I'm only going because one of the planes from North Weald is on static display (black L39) and the pilot has offered a pair discounted tickets to us.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

That’s a good win  :-+

Not raining on Sunday as well  :-DD
Not supposed to rain on Sunday, hence why I've got tickets for then. Did you take your camera? Photos please.

Just phone as that’s waterproof :

Starter. I’ll link gallery when home

Got to love a typical Pommie Summers Day  :-DD
Yep, but then you Aussies can get your share of rain as well I'm told by niece and judging by some the programs we have over here about your land trains, the roads in the outback become no go areas at times of the year.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35142 on: July 19, 2019, 05:18:06 pm »
There is a SR71 up in the American museum at Duxford and you can actually touch it as well. I also saw one flying at RAF Mildenhall at one of their air shows when they used to host one annually a few years a go.

Yes and yes, in my case :)

The only time I've been to Duxford, I arrived in a DC3 :)
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35143 on: July 19, 2019, 05:20:31 pm »
There is a SR71 up in the American museum at Duxford and you can actually touch it as well. I also saw one flying at RAF Mildenhall at one of their air shows when they used to host one annually a few years a go.

Was that recently as part of the Dakotas over Normandy event.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35144 on: July 19, 2019, 05:29:59 pm »

Was that recently as part of the Dakotas over Normandy event.

T'was in 2007; the gliding club chartered it for an outing. I don't think you can do that anymore due to more stringent avionics requirements.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35145 on: July 19, 2019, 05:48:48 pm »

So, how are your webbed feet then  :-DD I remember one year that all the off base car parks got flooded and they had to get in tractors to pull cars onto the road and another year it was cancelled due to flooding, then they introduced a limited amount of on base parking to help reduce the problems. Did you see the Spanish Harrier, there was supposed to be 2, 1 at each half of the runway but only one was serviceable I understand. Hopefully there will be 2 up on Sunday and the weather is supposed to good as well. I also understand that the F35 did a single slow flypast and beat its way back to RAF Marham because it was so wet today. Thats the problem with air shows these days, they always advance tickets only so you can't take a view on the weather and then go or not accordingly on the day  :palm:

Just got home. Annoyingly my left shoe has a hole in it so I basically have one foot larger than the other one now  :-DD .  It was proper hammering it down.  I had full berghaus waterproofs on top and bottom, sun hat and hood up and only got slightly damp fortunately. Perched on the blue zone grandstand most of it.

I bailed before the F35 did a pass. My colleague buggered off before I did (we both drove separately). He did stills I did video so I’ll spend some time in resolve tomorrow and throw something up on YouTube. Got to see some hardware I worked on years ago as well which was weird.

Discovered where I went wrong in life though. Turns out lots of middle aged Eastern European women appreciate a chinook too :o

Offline bsudbrink

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35146 on: July 19, 2019, 05:50:33 pm »
Rain or not I am so jealous. I've never seen a BUFF up close like that.  :o :-//

My father was career Air Force.  When I was 5 to 7 years old, we were at Seymour Johnson AFB in North Carolina.  It was a BUFF base.  There was a Tasty Freeze just off the base at the end of the runway.  We'd go and have ice cream and watch them take off and land.  Their wings "flap" when they take off you know.  I remember that my dad used it as a "teaching moment" to introduce me to the idea that sometimes in engineering "if it don't bend, it will break".

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35147 on: July 19, 2019, 05:58:36 pm »

My father was career Air Force.  When I was 5 to 7 years old, we were at Seymour Johnson AFB in North Carolina.  It was a BUFF base.  There was a Tasty Freeze just off the base at the end of the runway.  We'd go and have ice cream and watch them take off and land.  Their wings "flap" when they take off you know.  I remember that my dad used it as a "teaching moment" to introduce me to the idea that sometimes in engineering "if it don't bend, it will break".

Bet they don't bend as much as the wings in this 30s video :)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 06:02:10 pm by tggzzz »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #35148 on: July 19, 2019, 06:18:05 pm »
Worked on the Heath S-3 Electronic Switch and I pretty much identified the issue.

The first trace shows the square wave output of the switch that the signals ride on. Those 2 large negative spikes are the culprit. See schematic. That .001uf cap on the output was missing on my unit. It wasn't there when I first opened it up and I suspect it was never there. I don't have that exact value so I played around with what I have. It gets rid of the spikes but also attenuates the signals applied. So I have to order a .001uf/200v tubular.

I also found that the one .05uf cap that I was short is leaky. So I have to order a .0.047uf/400V tubular.

If I play around with the rate on the switch plus the trigger on the scope I can get a real decent trace. So I'm pretty sure once I get those replacement caps this guy will be a wrap.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Kosmic

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35149 on: July 19, 2019, 06:21:07 pm »
That actually looks surprisingly good. Nice one  :-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf