Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14551445 times)

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #35325 on: July 21, 2019, 10:05:22 am »
Yeah it’d die! First aircraft loader would smash it.

There’s one down the road from me but it’s overpriced. I’m trying to knock him down  :-DD

There you go @bd this ones nearly closer to you than me  ;) eBay auction: #323863250166

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35326 on: July 21, 2019, 10:09:38 am »
Hahaha still to far  :-DD

Managed to negotiate the local one down to a respectable £/MHz. Picking up this evening. 20 min drive from me.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #35327 on: July 21, 2019, 10:11:07 am »
Only reason to keep using Fahrenheit is covering up for shortcomings in other areas Bigger the Number smaller the ....  :-DD

May a roo kick you in the nuts.  :D No big numbers required to make up for any shortcomings else where. F makes more sense to me than C.  :P

As an Aussie the media coverage even we are getting on 'Heatwave' in the Northern Hemisphere is hysterical and just so OTT.

I'm sure. I've experienced "dry" heat. Big difference from "wet heat"
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #35328 on: July 21, 2019, 10:14:16 am »
Nice little Philips LF gen Euro-Shan, I'd find some space for that.  :-+
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #35329 on: July 21, 2019, 10:15:39 am »
Yeah it’d die! First aircraft loader would smash it.

There’s one down the road from me but it’s overpriced. I’m trying to knock him down  :-DD

There you go @bd this ones nearly closer to you than me  ;) eBay auction: #323863250166

HP 180's are decent scopes. Used them at work.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35330 on: July 21, 2019, 10:16:18 am »
This close to the Coast we get the Humidity too in most cases unless the wind is coming in from the desert. The North end of Oz when it is hot just sucks big time as it is full Tropical Hot and Humid.

Today we apparently got to only 15 C but up on the roof in the Sun was T-Shirt weather. Should have been on a bike but a perfect day to slip sheets of roof too.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #35331 on: July 21, 2019, 10:19:38 am »
15 C (59 -60 F) is my kind of weather where I am most comfortable.  :-+

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35332 on: July 21, 2019, 10:20:01 am »
Not sure who this one is a rebrand of but nice compact traveller eBay auction: #233290440419 Looks very Tek like in the handle at least  :-//

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35333 on: July 21, 2019, 10:23:42 am »
Not sure who this one is a rebrand of but nice compact traveller eBay auction: #233290440419 Looks very Tek like in the handle at least  :-//
Aaron BS310
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/aaron-bs-310s-cro-mini-teardowm/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #35334 on: July 21, 2019, 03:02:10 pm »
One seller had 4 different (of the simpler kind and slightly obscure) Nixie counters on auction. All of them "not working/for parts". Tried to get them all, of course. Succeeded just once.

Its another Philips. Couldn't find anything resembling a manual, but for less than 22 € including shipping you can't do much wrong:

I hate to say it[1], but my recent fleabay acquisition of a Fluke 8125a nixie DMM cost me a whacking £0.99 (plus £10 petrol and depreciation to fetch it).

I hate you!  >:D

Smiles like the Cheshire cat, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheshire_Cat

I'm afraid for that price you won't even get a box of cat droppings over here.
How did you hide that auction from spec?

The vendor hid it :) I only noticed it because of I have several stupidly wide searchs for very nearby items.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ex-army-Digital-Multimeter-/173945586452
Try and find a search that captures that and not 10k other items posted today :)

Now that it is working, it is the only piece of test equipment I'm happy to store in an unheated garden shed :)

My garden shed is already full with stuff (and tons of cobwebs!). And I have no use for a DMM there.

Me too, and me too.

Why do you have the word "use" in conjunction with "nixie"? Improper thoughts could arise from that :)

[1] that's a lie. I love to think and say it!

You just had to spoil my fine little counter! Sniff. ;)

You have to choose to have your pleasure reduced. (Just as "in order for them to be effective, insults have to be given and also have to be received").

Naturally I quickly forget my less auspicious purchases.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #35335 on: July 21, 2019, 03:29:28 pm »
I’m after a crap 20Mhz or so analogue for X-Y display. No PDA, no multipliers, simple, nothing terrible to go wrong. HM203/HM204 Hameg would do the job.

And, additionally, they have this imho very handy component tester on board.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35336 on: July 21, 2019, 04:00:49 pm »
Yes definitely useful. I pull a lot of parts for reuse so it's great for a go/no go test and a hell of a lot quicker for doing batches of parts.

I shall be in possession of one in the next couple of hours  :-+. Joy that they are common as muck here so it's not hard to get your hands on one.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35337 on: July 21, 2019, 04:23:05 pm »
Yes definitely useful. I pull a lot of parts for reuse so it's great for a go/no go test and a hell of a lot quicker for doing batches of parts.

I shall be in possession of one in the next couple of hours  :-+. Joy that they are common as muck here so it's not hard to get your hands on one.
We all knew that you'd be back with analogue scopes before long. As you demonstrated unless you have a high sample rate xy mode is all but useless on a digital which forces the purchase of a very costly digital scope but a very cheap and cheerful analogue will handle it with aplomb.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35338 on: July 21, 2019, 04:27:23 pm »
There’s no reason we can’t have a decent X-Y implementation to be honest. The problem is that they’re all shit. HP 54600 gets it right. That thing feels like an analogue though.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #35339 on: July 21, 2019, 05:18:38 pm »
This is a screenshot from my RTB 2004 in XY mode.
I really don't know what's wrong with that.  :-//

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35340 on: July 21, 2019, 05:24:42 pm »
That’s a decent result. Much better than the chinese crap.

Once I’ve cleaned out the house of crap I’m going to look at a non Rigol (or Siglent before tautech jumps in  :-DD) digital scope. R&S May get a look in as their 100Mhz offering is reasonably priced.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #35341 on: July 21, 2019, 06:09:23 pm »
Two out of three ain't bad ...

... but one out of four is lousy!

One seller had 4 different (of the simpler kind and slightly obscure) Nixie counters on auction. All of them "not working/for parts". Tried to get them all, of course. Succeeded just once.

At first, I thought you bought four and only one came back to life. :o

Since all were supposed to be duds, I would have accepted that fate. I'm missing the other 3.  :'(

Awwww, quitcherbitchin' and eat yer cookie...   :-DD

Quote from: tggzzz
I hate to say it[1], but my recent fleabay acquisition of a Fluke 8125a nixie DMM cost me a whacking £0.99 (plus £10 petrol and depreciation to fetch it).
I hate you!  >:D
  Smiles like the Cheshire cat, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheshire_Cat

JAMMIER GIT!!!      EVEN GITTIER  JAMMIER GIT!!!  :-DD

Yeah I’ve got 11 negative terms on my Hewlett Packard search as well to get rid of X horsepower generators  etc :-- I’m not buying tektronix analogue scopes. Anything else is fair game. I’m after a crap 20Mhz or so analogue for X-Y display. No PDA, no multipliers, simple, nothing terrible to go wrong. HM203/HM204 Hameg would do the job.

So... Hitachi V212 just like high school then?  :-DD

2: I thought you weren't buying scopes, so why look for them :)

Ditto.  :wtf: <=====Edit....nevermind.

I'm now going to speak in terms of Fahrenheit. So if it bothers your sensitivities then keep it moving.  :P

My digital thermometer stores the highest and lowest temperature recorded until you either reset it or change the battery. The previous high recorded was from Summer 2017 and that was 96.9 degrees F. It now has a new high from yesterday. 97.1 degrees F. Today will also be hot but predicted to be a few degrees cooler so it looks like that new high will stand for a while.

Now while that's not the 110+ F some of you experience keep in mind that's with humidity levels in excess of 50 -60%. So you have "heat indexes" of 110 degrees F. Damn uncomfortable.

BTW....the lowest temp recorded is from January 2017. A balmy -8.4 degrees F.  :-DD   

So... pretty much same as every day from May-Nov here then...  :o Oh, no wait. We have months on end of 80+% RH.  |O

15 C (59 -60 F) is my kind of weather where I am most comfortable.  :-+

Ditto.  :-+

We all knew that you'd be back with analogue scopes before long. As you demonstrated unless you have a high sample rate xy mode is all but useless on a digital which forces the purchase of a very costly digital scope but a very cheap and cheerful analogue will handle it with aplomb.

Yup. PRECISELY why this ugly-as-a-bag-of-smashed-assholes V212 lived so long on the corner of my second workbench. Too fucking useful to let go of.  :-+

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35342 on: July 21, 2019, 06:27:43 pm »
And we have analogue

https://youtu.be/PYqLNrY93lI

Scope is in pretty good nick. Needs a couple of switches cleaning. It’s nice not to have to hear a damn HF oscillator whining away or fan going  :-DD
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 06:32:54 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: nixiefreqq

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #35343 on: July 21, 2019, 06:32:38 pm »
It’s nice not to have to hear a damn HF oscillator whining away or fan going  :-DD

People pay lots of money (i.e. £2000-£6000 or more) to be able to hear such things. I wish I could.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #35344 on: July 21, 2019, 06:44:43 pm »
Oops....they were a little off on their high temperature prediction for today. Just hit a new high. 98.2 degrees F.  :scared:

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35345 on: July 21, 2019, 07:01:45 pm »
Oops....they were a little off on their high temperature prediction for today. Just hit a new high. 98.2 degrees F.  :scared:
Yus even made our 6am news !
Our old 'in your head' conversion to C is ~35C....yep getting warm.
(F-30/2=C)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35346 on: July 21, 2019, 07:09:44 pm »
That’s a decent result. Much better than the chinese crap.

Once I’ve cleaned out the house of crap I’m going to look at a non Rigol (or Siglent before tautech jumps in  :-DD) digital scope. R&S May get a look in as their 100Mhz offering is reasonably priced.
Gimme some X-Y settings and I'll do an updated YT vid for SDS1202X-E and/or SDS1104X-E.
The last ones I did were using what's now outdated FW.
I really need to try the 2GSa/s SDS2kX-E models as I suspect they could be somewhat better for X-Y.....need a rainy day or more hrs in a day.  ::)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #35347 on: July 21, 2019, 07:23:12 pm »
Yus even made our 6am news !
Our old 'in your head' conversion to C is ~35C....yep getting warm.
(F-30/2=C)

Yea, and the lady copper had to work both days this weekend. And she commutes to work via bus/subway which luckily both have A/C. But a 1 mile walk from the bus stop to her residence. I'll give her a call later and I'm sure she'll be in a real pleasant mood.  :rant:

Maybe I better not.  :-DD   

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35348 on: July 21, 2019, 07:38:34 pm »
Well bugger me whoever did the call on this scope was a fucking mong. The thing was calibrated at the wrong end of the variable detents  :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm: . Slowly working through the cal process...

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #35349 on: July 21, 2019, 07:40:46 pm »
Well bugger me whoever did the call on this scope was a fucking mong. The thing was calibrated at the wrong end of the variable detents  :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm: . Slowly working through the cal process...
Fortunately, you're smarter than they were.

mnem
Cuter too. :-DD
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf