Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14914477 times)

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #35925 on: July 31, 2019, 03:53:02 am »
Yeah... it was just yesterday my son was a little squirming blob in my arms... now he's 11 going on 16 and his baby sister is too big for daddy dwagon rides.  :'(

How to you prevent dwagon claws from getting stuck between keyboard keys ?  :-//

Not preventable... happens all the time. *schlorrrk* fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff~* *POINK!* DAMMITTT!!! :o

mnem
I go through so many keyboards...  :palm:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #35926 on: July 31, 2019, 04:02:52 am »
Nice coming on back at you, mnem, I LOL'ed.  ;D
Have a good one buddy.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #35927 on: July 31, 2019, 10:42:53 am »
Yeah... it was just yesterday my son was a little squirming blob in my arms... now he's 11 going on 16 and his baby sister is too big for daddy dwagon rides.  :'(

How to you prevent dwagon claws from getting stuck between keyboard keys ?  :-//

Not preventable... happens all the time. *schlorrrk* fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff~* *POINK!* DAMMITTT!!! :o

mnem
Now I'm imagining you typing like one of those callcentre ladies with nails that are way too long.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35928 on: July 31, 2019, 12:03:11 pm »
Nah, this is how I imagine him typing with his claws  :-DD

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35929 on: July 31, 2019, 12:30:34 pm »
In the search of a suitable gif contribution I found a thing called "dragons fucking cars" by accident. I suggest people do not google that  :scared:

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35930 on: July 31, 2019, 01:28:39 pm »
Quote from: mnementh
How do you prevent dwagon claws from getting stuck between keyboard keys ?  :-//
Not preventable... happens all the time. *schlorrrk*  ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff~* *POINK!* DAMMITTT!!! :o

mnem
   Now I'm imagining you typing like one of those callcentre ladies with nails that are way too long.

*schlorrrk*  is the sound when a dragon's claw(s) impale something. *POINK!* is the sound when they pull or shake it off, usually with a look of disgust. ;) All that in between was the death of another keyboard...  :palm:

I think maybe I need to buy one with replaceable keys. *adds item to Amazon shopping list*

That is... PERFECT!!! *Snurrches & files away* And a proper Welsh Red, too. ;) That, BTW, is the face I make whenever med posts that pic of the "Jank Ghetto-Fab 2465 Fan Fix of Doom"...  :-DD

In the search of a suitable gif contribution I found a thing called "dragons fucking cars" by accident. I suggest people do not google that  :scared:

meh. Rule 34, man.

mnem
“Listen, three eyes,” he said, “don’t you try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you for free with my breakfast cereal.” ~Zaphod Beeblebrox
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #35931 on: July 31, 2019, 01:41:41 pm »

That is... PERFECT!!! *Snurrches & files away* And a proper Welsh Red, too. ;) That, BTW, is the face I make whenever med posts that pic of the "Jank Ghetto-Fab 2465 Fan Fix of Doom"...  :-DD

mnem

;D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35932 on: July 31, 2019, 01:42:13 pm »
   More work on the Heath OL-1 Scope.

The DC filament supply is complete and running. I used an LM350T adjustable regulator and set it to 6.3VDC. The only issue is I may have to increase the size of the heatsink. It does get rather warm...in fact...too hot to touch. We'll see....that regulator does have overheat shutdown built in. And can the comments about the long screw attaching the regulator to the heatsink. My stock of small hardware is limited. I'll get the correct size tomorrow...

Why is everybody looking at me?!?  >:D   

mnem
"Small hardware... heh-heh-heh... heh-heh-heh... heh-heh-heh..."

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #35933 on: July 31, 2019, 01:44:11 pm »
   More work on the Heath OL-1 Scope.

The DC filament supply is complete and running. I used an LM350T adjustable regulator and set it to 6.3VDC. The only issue is I may have to increase the size of the heatsink. It does get rather warm...in fact...too hot to touch. We'll see....that regulator does have overheat shutdown built in. And can the comments about the long screw attaching the regulator to the heatsink. My stock of small hardware is limited. I'll get the correct size tomorrow...

Why is everybody looking at me?!?  >:D   

mnem
"Small hardware... heh-heh-heh... heh-heh-heh..."

>:D :o :-DD

Offline syau

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35934 on: July 31, 2019, 01:50:05 pm »
Finally some time for TEA indulgence.  At a hamfest a few months back, I found a B+K 501A curve tracer. The seller had no idea if it worked and gave it to me for twenty-five bucks.  I put it on the shelf when I got home, lured by the siren call of some of the more complex gear in the repair queue. I pulled it out tonight to see if it worked (and if I could remember how to set up a scope in XY mode)...

[snip}

I am going to snuggle with the manual and get reacquainted with how these things work. After I do that, I will decide if I want to tear it completely down, and check to see if all the parts are still in tolerance given that the caps and carbon comp resistors are, I dunno, forty-five years old. 

Oh, one neat feature... the 501A has two sets of sockets so you can match transistors, whether of the same type or complementary.  And the sweep voltage goes up to 100V, so it will handle power transistors.

That was a very good price, I paid quite a lot more for my Heathkit IT-1121.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg1766804/#msg1766804

Very handy for testing/comparing old obsolete components to find more readily available ones, also great for checking unusual parts such as tunnel diodes.

David

P.S. I'm curious to see what is inside the Leader LTC-905, which is the only other small vintage curve tracer I've seen for sale in the UK.

Leader LTC-905 photo as per requested  :popcorn:

The following users thanked this post: edavid, bitseeker, med6753, mnementh, factory, Kosmic

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35935 on: July 31, 2019, 01:51:33 pm »
My answer to Bitseeker's question about good coaxial adaptors - slightly revised:

Without blame:
Huber&Suhner, Rosenberger, Radiall, Spinner, Kings, Amphenol RF, Pasternack, Automatic Connector, Southwest Microwave, Delta Electronics Mfg., Trumpeter, Midisco

Former Brands/Makers: Sealectro,  Omni Spectra, Astrolab(now H&S), Siemens

Telegärtner, TE interconnect, Pomona, JyeBao only for uncritical applications
Former ones: Greenpar, WiSi

No idea how good Coaxicom, Anoison, Genex.it, Coaxsol (short for Coaxial Solutions), are.

Thanks, NS! Added your post to the POI.

During my searches thus far, I also ran across some MACOM (M/A-COM) brand. Don't know much about them. Some packaging I saw indicated it's owned by AMP.

MACOM is a major industrial/commercial RF/satellite comms gear manufacturer, right up there with Moldy-rola and Yae-hu. If they put their name on a connector/coupler/splitter or any sort of RF plumbing, it's going to be decent quality.

mnem
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 01:57:14 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35936 on: July 31, 2019, 02:04:19 pm »
I did that and I must say that VW Golf was getting a right good old pounding  :-DD, maybe VW should use that gif when they say "Tough as Boots" like they did with the old Jetta advert years ago.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35937 on: July 31, 2019, 02:57:34 pm »
Hahaha that's the one I saw. There was also this ad for VW  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35938 on: July 31, 2019, 03:38:25 pm »
Yep, I remember that one, I was actually looking for the one where when they dropped the Jetta, it fell through the floor.

Just stumbled across this old comic sketch.

Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35939 on: July 31, 2019, 04:07:16 pm »
Hahaha that's a classic that one :)

Managed to source a free NIB and tested Brimar 12AU7 for this VTVM after begging in the right places so conversion is off  :-+

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #35940 on: July 31, 2019, 04:38:38 pm »
Hahaha that's a classic that one :)

Managed to source a free NIB and tested Brimar 12AU7 for this VTVM after begging in the right places so conversion is off  :-+

What was wrong with the old one? They are very robust tubes and rarely crap out, especially in a VTVM.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35941 on: July 31, 2019, 05:09:47 pm »
Getter started to change colour. Gain (transconductance) was way off where it should have been even though it was biased correctly.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #35942 on: July 31, 2019, 05:14:28 pm »
Getter started to change colour. Gain (transconductance) was way off where it should have been even though it was biased correctly.

Ah ha....it's gone gassy.  :o Yep......NFG.....bin it.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #35943 on: July 31, 2019, 05:16:59 pm »
Decided that the Heath OL-1 project is a wrap. The only additional done today was add 2 – 2.7uf tants across the input and output of the LM350T to prevent any possible oscillation. I am going to order a TO-220 chassis mount kit for it because IMHO it's running way too hot. I'll bolt it to the rear chassis plate which should provide plenty of heat dissipation.

As far as anything else the scope is working as intended. I've been spoiled by sharp Tek traces. This scope will NEVER have that sharp Tek trace and is nothing more than an entry level hobby scope. Performing additional mods are not worth the effort. But it definitely has been a fun project.

Mnem...look what showed up today! Are you going to break into a happy dance?     :-DD

« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 05:38:39 pm by med6753 »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #35944 on: July 31, 2019, 05:28:18 pm »
Hahaha that's the one I saw. There was also this ad for VW  :-DD

Oh wow...that commercial would never fly over here for more reasons than I can count. :-//

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #35945 on: July 31, 2019, 05:50:34 pm »
Yeah, no kidding.  :palm:
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35946 on: July 31, 2019, 05:51:20 pm »
I'm not so sure it was aired over here either for similar reasons.
Who let Murphy in?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35947 on: July 31, 2019, 05:51:33 pm »
P.S. I'm curious to see what is inside the Leader LTC-905, which is the only other small vintage curve tracer I've seen for sale in the UK.

Leader LTC-905 photo as per requested  :popcorn:

Cool. Added to POI.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35948 on: July 31, 2019, 05:52:26 pm »
During my searches thus far, I also ran across some MACOM (M/A-COM) brand. Don't know much about them. Some packaging I saw indicated it's owned by AMP.

MACOM is a major industrial/commercial RF/satellite comms gear manufacturer, right up there with Moldy-rola and Yae-hu. If they put their name on a connector/coupler/splitter or any sort of RF plumbing, it's going to be decent quality.

Excellent. Thanks for the info, mnem!

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35949 on: July 31, 2019, 06:40:06 pm »
Done it again. Thanks to half a bottle of wine reducing inhibitions, some regret at selling the two that I had before and a thread that prompted me and just being paid for contract, I now own a Philips PM3217  :-DD :-DD

Ergo I am not going for Tek stuff any more but that doesn't mean I'm not going for the scopes. That's s a Hameg and Philips this month  :o

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf