Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14821217 times)

marcumr, RolandK and 208 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #35975 on: August 01, 2019, 02:29:27 am »
Can you get into the BIOS and upgrade it or does the MB have flashback facility?

Check the memory is on the MB Vendors list? Check or even increase the timings and or drop the speed back to 3200 and try again? Even if you have some sluggy DDR4 on your current box then fit it.

At least that is where I would start based on what I have seen and read.

If that fails Bedtime slug of Alcohol and sleep and start fresh in the morning ;)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #35976 on: August 01, 2019, 04:48:33 am »
I couldn't resist... I bought the hundred buck 485 on ebay and it arrived today.  I wish everything that got shipped to me was packed this well:

It came with some goodies, too... a 50 ohm feed-through, a 93 ohm feed-through, and a couple of 50 ohm terminations along with two scope probes and two copies of the original operators manual.

And after looking it over, I decided to plug it in and see what happened. Here's the calibration output of the scope, running to both channels:

And here's a 2Vpp 100MHz signal from my 6061, also running to both channels:

On first blush, it works pretty well but there are a few issues: the vertical input switch deck is a little wonky and the vertical position pot on channel a is both hard to turn and a little loose in the mounting. I am guessing the scope was dropped, or something dropped on it, at some point. The fan sounds like it is had a rough life. I have a note in to the seller to see how he'd like to address them.

I don't know what the intended market was but I'd guess field service. I like the scope layout and features. I don't like the switching power supply or custom ICs, which make it harder to fix. I may just address the problems, clean it up, and see if I can sell it for a reasonable price.

specialization is for insects.

The following users thanked this post: med6753, bd139, Kosmic

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #35977 on: August 01, 2019, 04:50:26 am »
Can you get into the BIOS and upgrade it or does the MB have flashback facility?
Check the memory is on the MB Vendors list? Check or even increase the timings and or drop the speed back to 3200 and try again? Even if you have some sluggy DDR4 on your current box then fit it.

At least that is where I would start based on what I have seen and read.

If that fails Bedtime slug of Alcohol and sleep and start fresh in the morning ;)

No boot, no BIOS, only a memory error beep code. As I said... confirmed memory part number on MB QVL list before I bought it. Annoying as fuck when you do everything like you're supposed to, buy all the right parts and not the cheap stuff but THE GOOD stuff, and STILL can't even get past the first stage.

Flashing to latest BIOS using Q-Flash+ process. This is done with no CPU, no RAM. Will take several minutes... pray for it's wicked little heathen soul.

mnem
 |O

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: beanflying

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35978 on: August 01, 2019, 05:22:50 am »
Q-flash appears to have completed successfully; board read from USB, powered up fully, operated for a couple minutes while blinking the little Q-Flash LED, then shut down.

Still no joy. Looking through my stuff, the only machines I have right now using DDR4 are laptops.  |O

Trying to decide whether to buy RAM or MB to swap out... no overt reason; just my gut and a little niggle saying MB fault.  :palm:

mnem
*toddling off to ded*
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 06:22:23 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #35979 on: August 01, 2019, 05:49:59 am »
It will be worth it in the end Mnem  :) Test fitting of my new box to the bench. Shelf to the rear of the monitor needs to go elsewhere (bigger monitor in a month or two) and can where the current PC is mounted to the wall on brackets. TEA Jenga to follow  ::)

Time to roast some beans on the old box for the last time......

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35980 on: August 01, 2019, 06:15:07 am »
Done it again. Thanks to half a bottle of wine reducing inhibitions, some regret at selling the two that I had before and a thread that prompted me and just being paid for contract, I now own a Philips PM3217  :-DD :-DD

Ergo I am not going for Tek stuff any more but that doesn't mean I'm not going for the scopes. That's s a Hameg and Philips this month  :o
Nice one

Traitor.  :-DD
Philips make scopes and don't forget that Philips and Fluke became one and although I have had a Philips PM3217 myself in the past, I currently have a Fluke PM3390B Combiscope which I love. There are 4 makes that I would rate as being really good of that era, Tek, Philips, HP and Hameg.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35981 on: August 01, 2019, 06:24:46 am »
Yes it is but anything will have better single threaded FP than this turd. I can shift it to AWS and get a nice E7 Xeon but it's not worth it for a cheap arse like me :)

Edit: apparently it's not single threaded but the usual simulations I do are sequential so it is of no benefit.
AMD offer the best value in CPU's for cheap arses, I have a FX8350 in my tower and a Intel i7 in my laptop and FX8350 pisses all over the i7 in the laptop.

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35982 on: August 01, 2019, 06:30:48 am »
Hahaha I will take a stick and shove them away with it. Brunettes from Eastern Europe it is next time  :-DD

So an hour on ebay and not bought anything yet  :--
Be like ned this time, burrow and don't buy, less painful and of course as med will testify, he's master in his own house[emoji23][emoji23]

Who let Murphy in?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #35983 on: August 01, 2019, 06:34:18 am »
grr.

Got all my cabling sleeved up and tidied literally just as the new processor arrived.

New CPU installed; no boot. "Memory Error" beep code. Memory is BALLISTIX/MICRON, checked part # on MB QVL before I bought. Cleared CMOS... removed cooler, checked CPU; installed flush & tight & good coverage. Still same.  Stripped down to MB, RAM, & Processor... still no boot. |O   Gonna step back, go play with my son and get the eff away from this monster for a little bit. Will probably come back after the wee beasties are in bed and go through all the obvious troubleshooting step by step. I know it's something STUPID.

mnem
"You know it's bad when you annoy yourself..."  
At least your brick looks pretty.  ;D

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35984 on: August 01, 2019, 06:37:22 am »
So bottle of wine now empty. What remains in the cupboard is a bottle of smirnoff ice  :o . What shall be obtained next shall be decided by that  :-DD
That you'll need once you discover how inferior any other scope is compared to a Tek.
You need to try other scopes more often, you'll be surprised. [emoji83]

Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35985 on: August 01, 2019, 07:08:12 am »
meh.

The price of being on the bleeding edge is... sometimes you bleed.  :o Ordered a a kit of Vengeance DDR4-3000, also on the X570 Elite MB's QVL, from Amazon because they sed it'll be here today. We'll see what it does then.

Fuckit; 'tis only money.

mnem
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 07:10:08 am by mnementh »

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #35986 on: August 01, 2019, 07:42:39 am »
 8)

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35987 on: August 01, 2019, 07:48:20 am »
8)

Airing the Equipment to remove the fungus and mould?  >:D

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #35988 on: August 01, 2019, 07:56:16 am »
No respect for the elders, this one  ;)

No, new batch of gear.

The following users thanked this post: Black Phoenix

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35989 on: August 01, 2019, 08:12:06 am »
No respect for the elders, this one  ;)

No, new batch of gear.

Yes I know, just playing around a little. Nice score I must say... That 1GHz one on the top then...

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #35990 on: August 01, 2019, 08:12:47 am »
I couldn't resist... I bought the hundred buck 485 on ebay and it arrived today.
I may just address the problems, clean it up, and see if I can sell it for a reasonable price.

Before you do that, use it and compare it with your other scopes  >:D

Use (or make) some resistive divider Z0 probes, and look at some modern logic.

Make sure you understand just how useful the 50ohm input attenuator is for logic and RF work.

Then sell your other scope instead.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35991 on: August 01, 2019, 08:24:47 am »
So bottle of wine now empty. What remains in the cupboard is a bottle of smirnoff ice  :o . What shall be obtained next shall be decided by that  :-DD
That you'll need once you discover how inferior any other scope is compared to a Tek.

Despite my acquisition of Tektronix stuff I can't agree with. Shocking perhaps but from my experience, the Philips higher end units are much better scopes. This seems to be from all perspectives: they are far more reliable, the service manuals are actually better than the Tek ones, they're less difficult to service, they use bog standard parts, the industrial design is much much better and the performance is pretty much the same across the board as the equivalent Tek.

This is my favourite example of their engineering... PM3310. Honestly a bit of a weird scope but it was a very early DSO. Whole thing is an 8085 with a scope strapped to it.

I couldn't resist... I bought the hundred buck 485 on ebay and it arrived today.  I wish everything that got shipped to me was packed this well:

It came with some goodies, too... a 50 ohm feed-through, a 93 ohm feed-through, and a couple of 50 ohm terminations along with two scope probes and two copies of the original operators manual.

And after looking it over, I decided to plug it in and see what happened. Here's the calibration output of the scope, running to both channels:

And here's a 2Vpp 100MHz signal from my 6061, also running to both channels:

On first blush, it works pretty well but there are a few issues: the vertical input switch deck is a little wonky and the vertical position pot on channel a is both hard to turn and a little loose in the mounting. I am guessing the scope was dropped, or something dropped on it, at some point. The fan sounds like it is had a rough life. I have a note in to the seller to see how he'd like to address them.

I don't know what the intended market was but I'd guess field service. I like the scope layout and features. I don't like the switching power supply or custom ICs, which make it harder to fix. I may just address the problems, clean it up, and see if I can sell it for a reasonable price.

I'm glad you got it and we get to hear what happened here  :-+. I'll wait for tggzzz to chip in on any experiences as this particular model has eluded me so far :(

grr.

Got all my cabling sleeved up and tidied literally just as the new processor arrived.

New CPU installed; no boot. "Memory Error" beep code. Memory is BALLISTIX/MICRON, checked part # on MB QVL before I bought. Cleared CMOS... removed cooler, checked CPU; installed flush & tight & good coverage. Still same.  Stripped down to MB, RAM, & Processor... still no boot. |O   Gonna step back, go play with my son and get the eff away from this monster for a little bit. Will probably come back after the wee beasties are in bed and go through all the obvious troubleshooting step by step. I know it's something STUPID.

mnem
"You know it's bad when you annoy yourself..."  

This is why I tend to buy ex corporate workstations and laptops now. I find it too worrisome integrating a PC now. I used to build everything myself up until about 2005 but I had a bad experience which cost me £400 in the end as the retailer refused to honor their warranty and the machine was never stable enough for my requirements. I sold it and bought an HP desktop and never looked back.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #35992 on: August 01, 2019, 08:44:26 am »
Philips scopes definitely look interesting. But alas they are not that common this side of the pond. And yes, I realize Fluke scopes are actually Philips under the covers.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #35993 on: August 01, 2019, 09:03:39 am »
Hahaha I will take a stick and shove them away with it. Brunettes from Eastern Europe it is next time  :-DD

So an hour on ebay and not bought anything yet  :--
Be like ned this time, burrow and don't buy, less painful and of course as med will testify, he's master in his own house[emoji23][emoji23]

Finding a woman who DOESN'T want to take over and change your personal space is rare indeed. I am a lucky man.  :-+ The only thing she insists upon is that when I'm with her I don't dress like a hobo, which I don't even when I'm alone. But I do get a verbal tongue lashing when she discovers my socks have holes in them.  :-DD

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35994 on: August 01, 2019, 09:17:19 am »
I'll wait for tggzzz to chip in on any experiences as this particular model has eluded me so far :(

The usual suspects on the PSU board, plus this little known and accurately numbered C911.

That 15V tant bead on a 13V line goes short circuit and takes out R965. That 13V isn't a PSU voltage line, oh no, never.

Just for fun, find the other tant beads on that voltage rail, on the other schematics but the same board.

Apart from that, search for C911 and the 485 threads are few and succinct - unlike the 24x5 threads :)
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

The following users thanked this post: worsthorse

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35995 on: August 01, 2019, 09:20:38 am »
But I do get a verbal tongue lashing when she discovers my socks have holes in them.  :-DD

How times change.

When my mother met my father, she darned the holes in his socks for him. I can still recall the mushroom-shaped device used to aid that.

Ah, the old times were golden. Weren't they?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #35996 on: August 01, 2019, 09:21:23 am »
I'll wait for tggzzz to chip in on any experiences as this particular model has eluded me so far :(

The usual suspects on the PSU board, plus this little known and accurately numbered C911.

That 15V tant bead on a 13V line goes short circuit and takes out R965. That 13V isn't a PSU voltage line, oh no, never.

Just for fun, find the other tant beads on that voltage rail, on the other schematics but the same board.

Apart from that, search for C911 and the 485 threads are few and succinct - unlike the 24x5 threads :)

This is good to know for when I decide to dive into my dead 485.  :-+

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35997 on: August 01, 2019, 09:23:03 am »
Some more philips love / fanboyism. They put all the damn caps on the same sheet as the power supply on the schematic  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #35998 on: August 01, 2019, 09:25:09 am »
Some more philips love / fanboyism. They put all the damn caps on the same sheet as the power supply on the schematic  :-DD

That certainly makes the inventory and ordering of bastard tants a lot easier.  :-+ :-DD

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #35999 on: August 01, 2019, 09:40:07 am »
For any caps on the rails exactly as good schematics should be.  :-+
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf