Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14830689 times)

mianos and 113 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #36625 on: August 10, 2019, 02:47:14 pm »
Jeebus...

"Winbloze has new schizz for your personal confuser: Update to Version 10.0.17763.615." *90 seconds download...* [RESTART] TO INSTALL? *Click*

We have some new stuff for you...
*Blipp!!!* "Congratulations! You are now using the latest version of Winbloze! Go have a life!!!"

It took me longer to write that than it did for it to happen.  :o

mnem
Would you like flies widdat?
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #36626 on: August 10, 2019, 02:50:00 pm »
I massaged the placement of the fan power...and we are alive!   :-+

don't have any tek gear here.....but HOT DAMN.....that looks nice.

(stop tempting me down another rabbit hole you rascal you!)

You owe it to yourself to have at least one 7000 mainframe...oh who am I kidding, you need minimum of two.   :-DD

They really are nice to use, if a bit large and bulky. The difference in crt quality between either of mine and my 2465B is pretty stark as well. The 2465B has a great crt, don't get me wrong, but the much larger acceleration potentials used in the mainframes makes a huge difference.

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36627 on: August 10, 2019, 02:53:27 pm »

Well, let me tempt you some more.  :-+

Sincerely, Fluke Freq.  :-DD

BUTTONS!   KNOBS!    SWITCHES!  (not a menu in sight).  they are glorious.

you two are a pair of low down, dirty, tek fondlin', varmints!

going to turn off the laptop and JUST WALK AWAY.  (or maybe check ebay real quick first?   nooooooooo!)

free range primate

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #36628 on: August 10, 2019, 02:54:58 pm »
It can be. Not usually terrible unless you need to get across the city. You learn ways around the usual trouble (usually using brain and avoid where the satnav sends everyone).

Losing weight is a bastard. Easier to not put it on! You basically have to breath out 84% of it as CO2 which puts it into perspective. Walking up hills is good. Hurts like hell for the first year.
Losing weight is easy. Pure thermodynamics. The hard part is dealing with your bastard self and being honest to it. We're cheap lying weasels and will come up with any lame excuse to justify stuffing that energy rich treat into our faces or avoiding anything physical. Most people just prefer to lie to themselves.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36629 on: August 10, 2019, 03:02:00 pm »
You owe it to yourself to have at least one 7000 mainframe...oh who am I kidding, you need minimum of two.   :-DD

They really are nice to use, if a bit large and bulky. The difference in crt quality between either of mine and my 2465B is pretty stark as well. The 2465B has a great crt, don't get me wrong, but the much larger acceleration potentials used in the mainframes makes a huge difference.

Is there something wrong with me...?

I heard that all in Benedict Cumberbatch's Smaug voice... and "much larger acceleration potentials" actually resonated hard enough to make my gonads jingle...  :o

mnem
*pervy little CRO fancier*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #36630 on: August 10, 2019, 03:04:00 pm »
OK, that's funny.   :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36631 on: August 10, 2019, 03:08:33 pm »
It can be. Not usually terrible unless you need to get across the city. You learn ways around the usual trouble (usually using brain and avoid where the satnav sends everyone).

Losing weight is a bastard. Easier to not put it on! You basically have to breath out 84% of it as CO2 which puts it into perspective. Walking up hills is good. Hurts like hell for the first year.
Losing weight is easy. Pure thermodynamics. The hard part is dealing with your bastard self and being honest to it. We're cheap lying weasels and will come up with any lame excuse to justify stuffing that energy rich treat into our faces or avoiding anything physical. Most people just prefer to lie to themselves.

Not EASY; SIMPLE. Big. Effing. Difference. Same as the prerequisite "honest self-appraisal". Most people would rather stand in a busy intersection and drill screws through their feet.

And like any addiction, the addiction to sugar is exactly as smart, cunning and deceitful as you are. Each and every one of us has the devil inside, and we most often unleash him on ourselves rather than those around us.

mnem
The Three Laws of Thermodynamics:
1. You can't win.
2. You can't break even.
3. You can't even get out of the game.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #36632 on: August 10, 2019, 03:13:40 pm »

Well, let me tempt you some more.  :-+

Sincerely, Fluke Freq.  :-DD

BUTTONS!   KNOBS!    SWITCHES!  (not a menu in sight).  they are glorious.

you two are a pair of low down, dirty, tek fondlin', varmints!

going to turn off the laptop and JUST WALK AWAY.  (or maybe check ebay real quick first?   nooooooooo!)

:-DD :-DD :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36633 on: August 10, 2019, 03:14:01 pm »

Spot on.

Haha, thankfully I only have that sort of breakfast if I'm aware in a hotel for a business meeting, or I should say was, because I'm retired now. My normal daily breakfast would be a bowlful, or in reality a pint jug, full of grapes for the first 3rd of the jug, topped up with dried fruit and fibre cereal from Lidl's which is unsweetened and then cold milk poured on top and stirred, a great source of fresh fruit, calcium and fibre and that often sees me right through to the evening meal. Christ now how big I'd be if I had a full English fry up everyday but I know plenty of people who would not consider nothing else as right, and they all go on to eat another cooked Lunch and then go home to eat a cooked Dinner with their SWMBO and family  :phew: I have no idea just how they can do that day in day out.

Similar. I literally eat that once a month max. Most of my my diet is miserable: shreddies, fruit, nuts, vegetables and salads. Have to be careful with dairy as I'm entirely lactose intolerant so drinks are water, coffee and occasional alcohol :-DD. Mega bastards are bread, meat, potatoes and pasta which is basically staple foods here.

Anyway TE on topic for a change. Two things.

Item 1: 6286A aka Mjolnir

Finally got around to sorting this. I have cleaned out the insides and sorted the metering problem out. All caps were tested for ESR and are good. The metering was a ganky metering switch which responded well to a couple of squirts of contact cleaner. Minor current range recalibration required and it is bang on. It's weird that you can set a 10A supply to limit at 100mA on the mark to the nearest mA!

couple of photos:

Very happy especially as it only cost £15 ($18!) and was manufactured 42 years ago.

Item 2: Unicorn

Found me a unicorn on ebay. MINE MINE MINE. Got to wait over a day for it though :(

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, 0culus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #36634 on: August 10, 2019, 03:14:50 pm »

Is there something wrong with me...?

I heard that all in Benedict Cumberbatch's Smaug voice... and "much larger acceleration potentials" actually resonated hard enough to make my gonads jingle...  :o

mnem
*pervy little CRO fancier*

My gonads glow in the dark from all the shocks I've received.  :o :scared: :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #36635 on: August 10, 2019, 03:42:20 pm »
Item 2: Unicorn

Found me a unicorn on ebay. MINE MINE MINE. Got to wait over a day for it though :(

Congrats to the 34401A, I assume?  :-+  :D

Edit:
Here, you can put it on it once you've received it.  ;D

« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 03:48:14 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36636 on: August 10, 2019, 03:43:40 pm »
Nope not that.

An elegant weapon from a more civilised age :)

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #36637 on: August 10, 2019, 03:50:31 pm »

Not EASY; SIMPLE. Big. Effing. Difference. Same as the prerequisite "honest self-appraisal". Most people would rather stand in a busy intersection and drill screws through their feet.

And like any addiction, the addiction to sugar is exactly as smart, cunning and deceitful as you are. Each and every one of us has the devil inside, and we most often unleash him on ourselves rather than those around us.

mnem
1. You can't win.
2. You can't break even.

[/begin rant]

I've stayed out of this discussion so far but this morning my resolve has weakened, as evidenced by the fact that I just bought (another) oscilloscope and six crates of data books from the 80s and 90s. So here goes... and yes, TL;DR.

It is actually much worse than that, mnen. Most of our habitual eating patterns are established before we have any control over decisions such as, I am going to eat this, I am not going to eat that. While there is substantial evidence that we can work around those patterns, there is a fair amount of evidence that undoing them completely is impossible.  These patterns are coupled with metabolic changes that appear to predispose us to certain substances if we consume them abundantly in childhood.  There is also substantial evidence that, no matter what, our metabolism and hunger/satiation mechanisms adjust to maintain our current body weight and composition.

Which is all a long way of saying, making lasting changes to our eating habits has to take into account the real obstacles posed by deeply routinized patterns and a metabolic/regulatory systems that are designed to maintain stasis.  Most admonitions to eat healthy!, low calorie diets, food restricted diets, and so on fail because they don't take this into account.  That doesn't mean weight loss or maintenance is a lost cause. It does mean that both are, over the long term, more difficult than described by diet and exercise gurus of whatever stripe and never simply a matter of being lazy or not-lazy.

Though it does not make me an expert, I say this as a fat guy who first visited a gym in 1982, subsequently lost 55 lbs, and has been quite physically active since then.  I have also struggled with weight maintenance issues for roughly forty years in spite of working out regularly, making substantial changes in my eating habits, absorbing a lot of peer-reviewed research on diet and exercise, and being a therapist specializing in addiction and other habitual pattern change.

[/end rant]
specialization is for insects.

The following users thanked this post: nugglix, mnementh, bd139

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #36638 on: August 10, 2019, 03:53:47 pm »
Nope not that.

Hm, civilised age? Cannot remember of any. Which one do you mean? 67 million years ago, right after earth was hit by a huge meteor?
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36639 on: August 10, 2019, 04:11:16 pm »
Snip.
Lovely as it is, I don't have to worry about too much about rabbit holes, just do not have the physical space for such large pieces of TEA deliciousness  >:D
Yes, that keeps me safe from that series too. I could not even maneuvre the cart properly most of the time.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36640 on: August 10, 2019, 04:12:02 pm »
Nope not that.

Hm, civilised age? Cannot remember of any. Which one do you mean? 67 million years ago, right after earth was hit by a huge meteor?

Probably closer to the 67-million years ago as it has an air variable capacitor in it  :-DD

(and no it's not radio related)

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #36641 on: August 10, 2019, 04:17:08 pm »
And now for something completely TEA related...

Today I scored six boxes of data books from the 80s and 90s. Here's a photo from one of the boxes:

807783-0

There are approximately 120 books from TI, Moto, AD, Signetics, National, Plessey, GE and RCA, including several complete series. All appear to be in good shape. The whole stash cost me 12USD plus shipping.  Being a dead tree kind o' guy, I am extremely happy with this find.  ;D

I also bought a relatively unusual sort of oscilloscope. Not quite a unicorn but close.  I am going to wait until I have it in hand before I post, though. Should be about ten days..
specialization is for insects.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36642 on: August 10, 2019, 04:38:19 pm »
Nope not that.

Probably closer to the 67-million years ago as it has an air variable capacitor in it  :-DD

Not a HP 200-series oscillator...?

mnem
*wibble*

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36643 on: August 10, 2019, 04:40:49 pm »
And now for something completely TEA related...

Today I scored six boxes of data books from the 80s and 90s. Here's a photo from one of the boxes:

(Attachment Link)

There are approximately 120 books from TI, Moto, AD, Signetics, National, Plessey, GE and RCA, including several complete series. All appear to be in good shape. The whole stash cost me 12USD plus shipping.  Being a dead tree kind o' guy, I am extremely happy with this find.  ;D

I also bought a relatively unusual sort of oscilloscope. Not quite a unicorn but close.  I am going to wait until I have it in hand before I post, though. Should be about ten days..

Good score. Now if you were only the one guy in a million who could be arsed to scan 'em into .pdf and upload to the Internet Archive...

mnem
"I know it ain't me, lawd..."

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #36644 on: August 10, 2019, 04:42:50 pm »

Speaking of air variable capacitors: this remindes me of a nice item which I do have
since some time on my watchlist. Given, the capacitors are vacuum ones instead of air capacitors,
but this thing looks sooo cool! But, on the other side, when do I need to measure 100kV AC?  :-//

But it is really soooo cool ....  8)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/323380353489

« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 04:44:43 pm by BU508A »

The following users thanked this post: bd139, beanflying, factory

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #36645 on: August 10, 2019, 04:46:23 pm »
If only working on this 485 were like some vehicle maintenance I performed this morning which was a piece of cake. I must admit that my knowledge and experience in working with scope trigger circuits isn't even zero. It's more like -10.  :scared: And this 485 is one complex mofo. I performed some checks that tggzzz suggested but no change. One was he thought the +5V was too low (4.977V). I checked the +50V reference that it's derived from and that was +49.98V. I tweaked it up to +50.00V and that bumped the +5V to +4.980V which is basically in spec and was prior too. And as much as I hate "tweak monkeys" who randomly play with calibration settings I did give some of trigger cal controls a twist but put them back in the exact same spot as I found them. Again, no change. I think my problem is that U780 is being continuously pulsed by +A Gate but I'm not sure. For now I'm going to put this aside until tggzzz is back where he can open up his 485 and we can do comparative analysis.  :phew: 

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36646 on: August 10, 2019, 04:52:33 pm »
Not a HP 200-series oscillator...?

damn.. No more clues for you >:(  :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36647 on: August 10, 2019, 04:56:12 pm »

OrgasmaTron!!!

mnem
*Sigh* 'Nawlins... Halloween 2001... good & crazy...

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #36648 on: August 10, 2019, 04:58:46 pm »

mnem
1. You can't win.
2. You can't break even.

Correction, losing weight is easy if you're not a pansy who loves to lie to himself. People are either looking for cheap fixes which allow them to continue the habits they know aren't right or cheat for the same purposes and then pretend it wasn't them who making the choice to stuff food in their faces. Decide to lose weight or don't. Most people end up choosing not to. "There is no try".

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #36649 on: August 10, 2019, 05:03:34 pm »
OrgasmaTron!!!

:o

Here, have some valerian TEA,  this may help to calm down.   ;D     :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf