Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14832670 times)

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #36800 on: August 13, 2019, 04:40:15 am »
Is there an acronym for the "fear of not reading the TEA posts regularly otherwise it is almost impossible to catch up"?
FONRTPR-THTCU

Woah! :o

The general social anxiety is called FOMO (Fear of Missing Out). For TEA, how about PASD (Post Accumulation Stress Disorder)?
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #36801 on: August 13, 2019, 04:42:24 am »
...aaaaand we've just gone r3cursive. Aga1n.  |O

Yep, too many posts to catch up on. If I read them all, first, then I have to track which ones to reply to. That's too much like work. :-DD

Yeah; that's how those WOT posts I do from time to time come to be... I've gotten in the habit of copying the posts I want to respond all to a WordPad so I can cull out the ones that are resolved beyond any need for my tuppence worth. Usually I break them up into individual response posts; but sometimes I'm just so far beyond used up I just post the towering edifice and toddle off to ded.

Ah, just another post in the WOT. ♫
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #36802 on: August 13, 2019, 05:16:52 am »
I think FOMO covers it really.
I think I have found the fault with my 5216— a dud buffer transistor in the frequency reference but on the main board, a 2n709  hFE 15, should be 50 or so min. Some NOS on the way. (fingers crossed)
Rob
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36803 on: August 13, 2019, 06:34:29 am »
No tools for the winding at all. Just wire, toroid, fingers. No former, no hook, nothing. You thread through and press against each side. Once they are wound I use a spudger to nudge the windings equal and that's it.

Have some more.

I get sooooo anal about these it's unreal  :-DD

Edit: just counted up and I reckon I've would a good 200 or so of the buggers over the years.
Well you sure make a professional job of them, they splendid all evenly wound like that, well done you. [emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36804 on: August 13, 2019, 06:45:04 am »
Am considering selling it and getting one that covers VHF as well as this is the cheap up to 6m one.
You know that SVA that did VNA mode down to 10 MHz, well it don't any more, it goes all the way down to 100KHz now so to cover your HAM bands.
OS rewrite and a major FW upgrade are to thank for it.

Perfect tool for you bd !

LMAO I spent the SVA budget on the K2 unfortunately. Maybe next year  :-DD

TBH I've got the cash but I'm reluctant to let it go at the moment what with Brexshit on the doorstep. It might keep value more than our currency though  :o ... perhaps I can write it off as diversified investments  :-DD
Oh shit, you mentioned the B word, I'm dreading the impact on the currancy, it's tanking at the moment. My TEA activity has been curtailed for a while by the car, Mot, Service, insurance, tax  and a possible new tyre, all this month means I'm looking down the barrel of a £1,000 plus. That's without the pending roof trim [emoji53]

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #36805 on: August 13, 2019, 07:06:53 am »
...aaaaand we've just gone r3cursive. Aga1n.  |O

Don't think it is recursive. An infinite loop seems more appropriate. Definitely not TEA material.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #36806 on: August 13, 2019, 07:23:40 am »
Incoming queue +1

Today, my HP 3460A arrived. Delivered via Hermes.
The packet is looking okay from the outside, but when I opened the box, I found this:  :o

:palm:  |O 

Some sellers misuse packaging to get rid of trash ...  |O

I checked the meter from the outside but it seemed to be undamaged. Except for this switch:

But, to be fair, on the pictures from the seller this switch looks also damaged. So I am not sure if it was damaged during transportation.

If it was during transportation, you should find the missing part in all that rubbish.

This poor little thing needs some loving care and a good cleaning.

I'm quite sure it will receive both in abundance. ;)

Congrats to your nice Nixie win!

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36807 on: August 13, 2019, 08:16:00 am »
Am considering selling it and getting one that covers VHF as well as this is the cheap up to 6m one.
You know that SVA that did VNA mode down to 10 MHz, well it don't any more, it goes all the way down to 100KHz now so to cover your HAM bands.
OS rewrite and a major FW upgrade are to thank for it.

Perfect tool for you bd !

LMAO I spent the SVA budget on the K2 unfortunately. Maybe next year  :-DD

TBH I've got the cash but I'm reluctant to let it go at the moment what with Brexshit on the doorstep. It might keep value more than our currency though  :o ... perhaps I can write it off as diversified investments  :-DD
Oh shit, you mentioned the B word, I'm dreading the impact on the currancy, it's tanking at the moment. My TEA activity has been curtailed for a while by the car, Mot, Service, insurance, tax  and a possible new tyre, all this month means I'm looking down the barrel of a £1,000 plus. That's without the pending roof trim [emoji53]

While you're there getting your car sorted, might as well future proof it just in case :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #36808 on: August 13, 2019, 08:19:48 am »

on a completely unrelated matter I just bought me a couple of loads of these bad boys. Been after some for years!

I cannot help, but somehow those star coolers are reminding me to those nasty things:

Source: https://scifi.media/babylon-5/babylon-5-ship-schematics/ --> Shadow Vessel
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, Neomys Sapiens, bd139, GregDunn

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #36809 on: August 13, 2019, 08:32:56 am »
If it was during transportation, you should find the missing part in all that rubbish.

This poor little thing needs some loving care and a good cleaning.

I'm quite sure it will receive both in abundance. ;)

Congrats to your nice Nixie win!

Thanks.  :)
I'll do my very best. The father of a friend of mine is running a thing which is called "Rundfunk Museum".
When I'm done with the 3460A I'll going to donate it to his collection.

I checked all the rubbish but I did not find any debris from the switch.
So, it was very likely broken before.

Do you know by any chance a source where to get this plastic knob?  :)
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36810 on: August 13, 2019, 08:47:44 am »

on a completely unrelated matter I just bought me a couple of loads of these bad boys. Been after some for years!

I cannot help, but somehow those star coolers are reminding me to those nasty things:

Source: https://scifi.media/babylon-5/babylon-5-ship-schematics/ --> Shadow Vessel

B5, of fond memory indeed.

I saw the first couple of episodes, thought they were yet another "bar in space with cowboys" / "Star Dreck", decided to ignore it.

A couple of years later I was in the bay area and caught an episode from series 3. I was blown away by just how different it was. Then I found JMS's interactions with the audience on usenet, and realised B5 was much more interesting than I guessed.

Definitely hooked.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #36811 on: August 13, 2019, 08:54:33 am »

I saw the first couple of episodes, thought they were yet another "bar in space with cowboys" / "Star Dreck", decided to ignore it.

Even though Walter Koenig (Checkov) played a part in it?  ;)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36812 on: August 13, 2019, 08:56:27 am »
I gave up after S1. Was my attempt terminated early?

Looking for something to vegetate in front of now I've got through Star Trek Discovery (good), Disenchantment (excellent) and Rick and Morty (excellent)

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #36813 on: August 13, 2019, 09:01:17 am »

Looking for something to vegetate in front of now I've got through Star Trek Discovery (good), Disenchantment (excellent) and Rick and Morty (excellent)

I can recommend B5, perhaps you should give it a try. One thing is a bit annoying about B5 and this is the very last episode. It is just weird and confusing.

And for other entertainement: how about Stargate with "McGyver" Richard Dean Anderson? Or Firefly?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36814 on: August 13, 2019, 09:06:40 am »
I shall indeed then.

Watched Stargate (all of them) and Firefly to death.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #36815 on: August 13, 2019, 09:11:53 am »
How many Sci-Fi related series / movies do you spot?  ;D

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36816 on: August 13, 2019, 09:25:10 am »

Yes, we did. S1 wasn't remarkable, S2 was better, S3 is excellent, S4 was good but buggered up by Warner Brothers, S5 was pretty good.

The writer (JMS) is extremely literate, plants "random" seeds that don't mature until the next season, and drops in all sorts of references to just about everything. You won't spot them all, but JMS commented on them on rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated in real time. If you watch B5, after seeing an episode look at the relevant page on http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/countries/us/eplist.html

I liked Star Trek Discovery series 1; it was different to the usual Star Trek tedium. Series 2 feels like it is reverting towards the norm.

Continuum (with Rachel Nichols) was excellent; I can't remember a better opening episode. It was on Netflix until a few weeks ago.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36817 on: August 13, 2019, 09:30:33 am »
@BU508A: 7. And I've watched all of them. And I'd watch that  :-DD

@tggzzz: thanks I will leech B5 and watch. On discovery, I know what you mean and I agree. S3 is going to be Voyager all over again.

Currently watching the Epstein case stuff. That's got more plot twists than discovery S2  :-DD

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36818 on: August 13, 2019, 09:31:19 am »
I can recommend B5, perhaps you should give it a try. One thing is a bit annoying about B5 and this is the very last episode. It is just weird and confusing.

It was a 5 season plot line. Then Warner Brothers was going to cancel at the end of S4, so JMS hurried up the plot (boo hiss). Then WB saw the fanbase and money, and relented so there was a S5 - but its structure is non-ideal.

One of the nice things about B5 is that there are surprises (unlike Star Dreck). It also takes serious account of real-world things such as religion (even though JMS is athiest), politics, cultures, workers (i.e. not just officers on the bridge), the underpriviledged and dropouts, crime and criminals, and characters change over time.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36819 on: August 13, 2019, 09:34:29 am »
@tggzzz: thanks I will leech B5 and watch.

Watch them in order; that matters more than on most shows. Read that midwinter episode guide after an episode to see what you missed :)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36820 on: August 13, 2019, 09:35:28 am »
One of the nice things about B5 is that there are surprises (unlike Star Dreck). It also takes serious account of real-world things such as religion (even though JMS is athiest), politics, cultures, workers (i.e. not just officers on the bridge), the underpriviledged and dropouts, crime and criminals, and characters change over time.

That was one of the good things about Discovery. It showed the bad side rather than the perpetual faultless good of Starfleet which is quite sickening at some points in the older series. Section 31, criminality, eugenics, torture, all sorts. Although Klingon sexual abuse was just weird. Also people who you thought were going to be regulars got knocked off pretty rapidly.

@tggzzz: thanks I will leech B5 and watch.

Watch them in order; that matters more than on most shows. Read that midwinter episode guide after an episode to see what you missed :)

Will do - thanks for tip  :-+

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36821 on: August 13, 2019, 10:08:31 am »

That was one of the good things about Discovery. It showed the bad side rather than the perpetual faultless good of Starfleet which is quite sickening at some points in the older series. Section 31, criminality, eugenics, torture, all sorts.

Yup, all there in B5, and some are central to part(s) of the plot(s).

If you want to get a feel from JMS's views/attitudes/motivations without too many spoilers, have a look at his responses to fan's criticisms after the second episode. http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/guide/002.html Especially where he mentions Trek :)

You'll see what real interaction with the audience is :)

It is also significant that Harlan Ellison was a script consultant; he was never one for "cosiness" :)

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #36822 on: August 13, 2019, 12:21:18 pm »
I'm intrigued...

It's Tuesday evening here in Sydney and I have just received an SMS tracking advice that says my 210E should be delivered tomorrow.  Seems the seller is also in Sydney (for real) and has shipped this promptly.  That's the only way I've ever seen this happen outside of our Express Post service.

I wait with anticipation.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #36823 on: August 13, 2019, 12:34:08 pm »
Depends on the item but it it was fulfilled by Amazon it was in their warehouse and not the actual suppliers warehouse in wherever.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #36824 on: August 13, 2019, 01:04:05 pm »
I daresay the fulfillment channel will be obvious from the packaging.  We shall see - but either way, I will be happy.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf