Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14562339 times)

Jambalaya, Mortymore and 24 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #36900 on: August 14, 2019, 10:02:04 pm »
Ugh it’s a heathkit IM-1212 in disguise. $15 max

That is some excellent news about your poor foot, I beat the air was a bit blue in your household this morning though when you discovered the truth of actually happened last night, I know if that happened to me, I'd ranting this morning for sure  :-DD

Liking the 475, its looking really good so that £5 could be good investment after all, even if it did need the help a Phillips to resolve it  :-DD

Edit, just looked up the HP 606B and thought that it looked remarkably similar to many of the Marconi Signal Generators of that era but with better ventilation.

I didn’t notice at first. I’m used to standing on Lego all the time so mostly it doesn’t register. Youngest cleaned up properly this evening.  :-DD

The Philips scope is still my favourite by far. This 475 will probably just get flipped. I don’t need anything that good or that full of tants  :-DD

606B is a thing of beauty. If it works! http://hpmemoryproject.org/timeline/art_fong/hp606_01.htm

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #36901 on: August 14, 2019, 10:20:50 pm »

The Philips scope is still my favourite by far. This 475 will probably just get flipped. I don’t need anything that good or that full of tants  :-DD

606B is a thing of beauty. If it works! http://hpmemoryproject.org/timeline/art_fong/hp606_01.htm

And why not? You need the best to go along with the 606B.  >:D :-DD

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36902 on: August 14, 2019, 10:32:40 pm »
Ugh it’s a heathkit IM-1212 in disguise. $15 max

That is some excellent news about your poor foot, I beat the air was a bit blue in your household this morning though when you discovered the truth of actually happened last night, I know if that happened to me, I'd ranting this morning for sure  :-DD

Liking the 475, its looking really good so that £5 could be good investment after all, even if it did need the help a Phillips to resolve it  :-DD

Edit, just looked up the HP 606B and thought that it looked remarkably similar to many of the Marconi Signal Generators of that era but with better ventilation.

I didn’t notice at first. I’m used to standing on Lego all the time so mostly it doesn’t register. Youngest cleaned up properly this evening.  :-DD

Personally I'd say that the 3217 is as good as the 475 or maybe better but lacking the extra bandwidth is about the only area where the 475 beats it.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36903 on: August 14, 2019, 10:34:13 pm »

And I stumbled over this, maybe one of you Nixie fanboys find it interesting:  ^-^
It is a "Vintage Bell Howell Heathkit IMD-202-2 Nixie-Multimeter"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/123771125240

Have one. And that asking price of $69.95 USD is nucking futs. At the most it's worth $30 USD.

Someone will buy it because of the nixies, I wouldn't though.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #36904 on: August 14, 2019, 11:23:08 pm »
Yeah, that raging 2.1 digits is the pinnacle of SOMETHING...  :wtf:

mnem
 :bullshit:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #36905 on: August 14, 2019, 11:28:14 pm »

Edit: Am considering buying that HP 606B signal generator on ebay. It's 25Kg of tubes though which is pushing my luck somewhat  :scared:

You KNOW you want that 606B!!!   >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36906 on: August 14, 2019, 11:39:31 pm »

Edit: Am considering buying that HP 606B signal generator on ebay. It's 25Kg of tubes though which is pushing my luck somewhat  :scared:

-Pat
That would take up 2/3rds of his bench, he'd have to make a trolley for it.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #36907 on: August 14, 2019, 11:56:54 pm »

-Pat

Yeah, and?   :-* 

Med can send trolley plans...

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #36908 on: August 15, 2019, 12:01:33 am »

-Pat

Yeah, and?   :-* 

Med can send trolley plans...

-Pat

:-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36909 on: August 15, 2019, 12:12:02 am »
"And if my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a trolley car..."  :-DD

mnem
"No, she'd be hell on wheels..."  >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #36910 on: August 15, 2019, 12:22:26 am »
Reminds me of a motorcyclist's leather jacket I saw once on the road. On the back it read: "If you can read this, the bitch fell off"

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36911 on: August 15, 2019, 12:46:33 am »
Yeah, the "Harley Bitch" club from Tampa used to come up the coast to our campground once or twice a month; their jackets said "If you can read this, I kicked the bastard off."  :-DD

mnem
It takes all kinds...

The following users thanked this post: Kosmic

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36912 on: August 15, 2019, 12:59:58 am »
grr.

Something I installed in the last 2 days broke "sleep mode" on my new PC, exactly the same way as my old one. I'm afraid it might be the damned Radeon Drivers...  |O

mnem
shit.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #36913 on: August 15, 2019, 01:16:09 am »
grr.

Something I installed in the last 2 days broke "sleep mode" on my new PC, exactly the same way as my old one. I'm afraid it might be the damned Radeon Drivers...  |O

mnem
shit.
How so ?
W10 does that occasionally and returns to ON but put to Sleep a second time generally stays asleep.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #36914 on: August 15, 2019, 02:06:54 am »
As a follow up to my questions re. shielded low EMF test leads a few pages back, I made me a test lead today. Well, I modified a Pomona set.
I got a set of Pomona 5291A low thermal EMF leads then hit Akihabara and got some tinned copper braid and nylon braid, a gold plated banana jack for the guard connection and some 3:1 heat shrink to fit over the jacks.

Turned out nice, now the last few digits on my 34461A when in mV range are rock steady compared to normal and unshielded leads.
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, bitseeker, Cubdriver, syau

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36915 on: August 15, 2019, 03:12:17 am »
grr.

mnem
shit.
How so ?
W10 does that occasionally and returns to ON but put to Sleep a second time generally stays asleep.

No... crashing on wake. EVERY TIME. Freezes black screen for like 2 minutes, then POST & boots fresh. But I reset my BIOS to a previous config from just after I got RAM/XMP & RAID up & running, and sleep worked normally this time. Keeping claws, wings toes & tail crossed it keeps working. And hopefully, everything I've installed OS-side too.  :scared:

mnem
Ferking Winblows... :palm:

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #36916 on: August 15, 2019, 03:33:48 am »
Time to show it the instruments  >:D

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #36917 on: August 15, 2019, 03:40:23 am »
Widlarizing a computer would be fun.  >:D

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #36918 on: August 15, 2019, 06:04:35 am »
Reminds me of a motorcyclist's leather jacket I saw once on the road. On the back it read: "If you can read this, the bitch fell off"
There's a worn out classic!

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #36919 on: August 15, 2019, 06:39:15 am »
How so ?
That's generally a task waking the computer up. Setting it to your liking prevents it waking up the first time too.

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36920 on: August 15, 2019, 07:48:34 am »

That clip art is older than the dinosaurs!

As for freezing on wake/sleep; reason 1005 of why I don’t build my own shit these days and use thinkpads  :-DD

Off to science museum today. Will post anything of interest this evening  :-+

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #36921 on: August 15, 2019, 08:12:17 am »
How so ?
That's generally a task waking the computer up. Setting it to your liking prevents it waking up the first time too.

Network configurations and power settings are 2 things WIN10 loves to mess with. I once had sleep function suddenly disappear on this laptop after an update. I don't recall what I did to get it back but I can tell you that Google will be your friend.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36922 on: August 15, 2019, 09:03:53 am »

That clip art is older than the dinosaurs!

As for freezing on wake/sleep; reason 1005 of why I don’t build my own shit these days and use thinkpads  :-DD

Off to science museum today. Will post anything of interest this evening  :-+
Hmm....Thinkpads are just a shadow of their former self when IBM used make them, their made by a Chinese company these days and their quality has taken a massive hit.

Enjoy the science museum, I know I do but whether its the its the same these days or not is also debatable but when they had a huge great Van De Graaff generator and lots of other electrical machines on the ground floor as you went in I always thought that it was awesome but these days such machines have been removed and placed in storage it seems to be more lamer. then again that might be like the old debate about the size of things like wagon wheels, they always seemed to far larger when we were kids  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36923 on: August 15, 2019, 09:07:41 am »
They’re pretty good still. Polycarb shell over titanium chassis. Very reliable and I’ll take my 22 hour triple battery over the other problems  :-DD

I haven’t left yet but I’m hoping they have some decent stuff. Last time I went was about 1990. They have 10 years of GCHQ on which is of interest at the moment so fingers crossed.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36924 on: August 15, 2019, 09:15:26 am »
Oh hell yeah, a trip there is always worthwhile but it just seems to me at least to impress less each time. They always seemed to have shit loads of smaller displays with push buttons to make them work, nowadays it seems to be full of larger displays cases with multiple exhibits inside them with fewer being automated, but then again, I'm just an old grumpy man these days, looking backwards all the time  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf