Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14551271 times)

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #37050 on: August 17, 2019, 10:29:29 pm »
No, it's for reallz. We have officially smuggled live animals off the planet.

https://mashable.com/article/smuggled-moon-tardigrade/

https://www.space.com/moon-tardigrades-future.html

mnem
First water bears, next Trathtars...
You know how humans smuggle substances inside their bodies? It turns out we inadvertently do that a lot with other organisms. Where we go we spread piles of other creatures around. If you leave bags of poo somewhere you've definitely left a rather literal pile of organisms behind too.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #37051 on: August 17, 2019, 10:32:12 pm »
(Attachment Link)

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=first+space+smuggler

mnem
 :P pppppptttttbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb!!!!
Earlier space missions unintentionally spread a lot of life across the moon and there are some pretty good indications goods got smuggled on those missions too. It's probably more of a PR stunt after it all went south than anything else.

To my knowledge, this is the first time anything that might survive out there has been taken there. And as it was done without the knowledge of any of our governing bodies, it certainly qualifies as smuggling. Myself, I'd rather have John Young's corned beef on rye...

mnem
*nutter-butter nutter*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37052 on: August 17, 2019, 10:38:52 pm »
Back to TEA: does anyone know how to use the little copper 5mm clips that come with Tektronix 5mm probes? Like, the P6056 I have came with a bunch of them. I believe it's Tektronix part # 214-0283-00, ground contact spring for 5mm probe tip?

You push the grounded sleeve of the probe through the coil, then poke the pointy end into a nearby GND point; as the thing is springy, you can move the point of the probe to contact desired signal.

mnem
moo?
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37053 on: August 17, 2019, 10:40:03 pm »
(Attachment Link)

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=first+space+smuggler

mnem
 :P pppppptttttbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb!!!!
Earlier space missions unintentionally spread a lot of life across the moon and there are some pretty good indications goods got smuggled on those missions too. It's probably more of a PR stunt after it all went south than anything else.

To my knowledge, this is the first time anything that might survive out there has been taken there. And as it was done without the knowledge of any of our governing bodies, it certainly qualifies as smuggling. Myself, I'd rather have John Young's corned beef on rye...

mnem
*nutter-butter nutter*

200 years into the future...

https://youtu.be/kVaU0UOZozI

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #37054 on: August 17, 2019, 10:41:39 pm »

mnem
*nutter-butter nutter*
Humans are very messy creatures from a microbiology point of view. We're essentially walking zoos. We went there a fair few times. We very likely left tardigrades before and a whole load of other organisms for sure.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #37055 on: August 17, 2019, 10:43:11 pm »
I got this today - an Andonstar HDMI microscope. Very crisp and clear display. Stand very well made of aluminum stock. Should be very useful for my SMD soldering needs.

Now I can stop putting in my resistors with the wrong polarity.  :-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, 0culus

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #37056 on: August 17, 2019, 10:43:59 pm »
Back to TEA: does anyone know how to use the little copper 5mm clips that come with Tektronix 5mm probes? Like, the P6056 I have came with a bunch of them. I believe it's Tektronix part # 214-0283-00, ground contact spring for 5mm probe tip?

You push the grounded sleeve of the probe through the coil, then poke the pointy end into a nearby GND point; as the thing is springy, you can move the point of the probe to contact desired signal.

mnem
moo?

It's not pointy though...it looks like it's supposed to mate with something I don't have.  :-//

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #37057 on: August 17, 2019, 10:47:06 pm »
Who's played with the 2M band ? (136-174 MHz)
Scored a Motorola GM340 radio and might have a play with it. It was in a repeater installation and has no mic so need to get one.
Manuals:
http://www.cbmania.ro/image/data/Statii-radio-profesionale/Motorola/GM340/Manual-statie-radio-profesionala-motorola-gm340-limba-engleza.pdf
http://manuals.repeater-builder.com/mo-files1/-GM%20Series/GM%20Series%20Detailed%20service%20manual%206864115B62-B.pdf
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37058 on: August 17, 2019, 10:47:22 pm »
I got this today - an Andonstar HDMI microscope. Very crisp and clear display. Stand very well made of aluminum stock. Should be very useful for my SMD soldering needs.

That’s actually really damn good for the money. Thanks for posting. May invest in one once our exchange rate has improved!

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37059 on: August 17, 2019, 10:48:39 pm »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #37060 on: August 17, 2019, 10:49:23 pm »
That’s actually really damn good for the money. Thanks for posting. May invest in one once our exchange rate has improved!
I'm not sure they'll still sell those in the year 2356.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #37061 on: August 17, 2019, 10:49:52 pm »

That looks really sweet, actually. How many bones did it set you back? This could be ideal for the RF attenuator rebuild project I need to undertake for an 8568B RF section I have.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37062 on: August 17, 2019, 10:55:36 pm »

It ain't a bad little unit at all. Super clear and you can attach an external monitor too.

That looks really sweet, actually. How many bones did it set you back? This could be ideal for the RF attenuator rebuild project I need to undertake for an 8568B RF section I have.

$137. It also has a remote, which has some of the same IR codes as the LED light strip on my bench, and it makes it go pink when I use the microscope remote.

We're going to have to work on that situation LOL.  :palm:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37063 on: August 17, 2019, 11:13:37 pm »

mnem
moo?

It's not pointy though...it looks like it's supposed to mate with something I don't have.  :-//

IIRC, that's made for soldering onto a ground on the board next to a test point... and I think they also used that as part of a grounding wire with a clip on the other end for snapping into a 2mm or 3mm dia ground via.

mnem
*clippity*

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37064 on: August 17, 2019, 11:28:14 pm »

It ain't a bad little unit at all. Super clear and you can attach an external monitor too.

$137. It also has a remote, which has some of the same IR codes as the LED light strip on my bench, and it makes it go pink when I use the microscope remote.

We're going to have to work on that situation LOL.  :palm:

Where? The ADSM302 is ~$200 pretty much everywhere. That's a steal of a deal; unless you were supposed to get the ADSM301 and somebody screwed up. :-//

mnem
*sick & tired of being sick & tired*

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37065 on: August 17, 2019, 11:34:59 pm »

Where? The ADSM302 is ~$200 pretty much everywhere. That's a steal of a deal; unless you were supposed to get the ADSM301 and somebody screwed up. :-//

mnem
*sick & tired of being sick & tired*

Yea ADMS301 -

ADMS301

I'm trying some soldering with it right now. Very nice.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37066 on: August 18, 2019, 12:42:20 am »
Just canned my 2m activity here. Pulled the sodding slim jim down, packed up the HT and will chuck it on ebay. Started with someone making chicken noises on the local repeater. When he got bored, someone else turned up, a G-prefix, QSY'ed off to another frequency with an M7 and spent ten minutes bitching about that, "Baofeng dick heads", then a pro brexit political rant. The other dude just turned his radio off by the sounds :palm:. I was in lurk mode so decided not to participate this evening.
Still wanting to make transmitters and receivers? Strikes me that in every walk of life there some utter nutters out there and thankfully, there are not to many of them in this community, though I have to say I think I have come across one particular person who seems to hide behind a fake ID and and location and pops up now and then and poses a dumb question just to start a debate and then they go dark on it  :palm:

There's a couple of individuals here on blog who have a "holier than thou" attitude and their shit don't stink and their word is the final say.  :blah: ::) Luckily they do not participate in this thread.
Yeah, this particular person, I did actually report to Dave but he didn't think it was that bad and elected to do nothing about it, fair enough it his forum anyway and lets face it, its generally a really good forum but this one person did one time really piss me off because whenever anyone actually asked for further clarification on a point they would never respond and just when you thought the topic was done and dusted, up they'd pop and thrown in some more shit. I've got to a point now where if they pop up I tend to ignore them, but its still niggles at you if you know what I mean. You want to chip and sort of help them because you think you can, and then you remember all the shit from previous attempts to help and then say sod it and move on.
Say, was there any LED lighting involved? :palm:

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37067 on: August 18, 2019, 01:13:34 am »
Just canned my 2m activity here. Pulled the sodding slim jim down, packed up the HT and will chuck it on ebay. Started with someone making chicken noises on the local repeater. When he got bored, someone else turned up, a G-prefix, QSY'ed off to another frequency with an M7 and spent ten minutes bitching about that, "Baofeng dick heads", then a pro brexit political rant. The other dude just turned his radio off by the sounds :palm:. I was in lurk mode so decided not to participate this evening.
Still wanting to make transmitters and receivers? Strikes me that in every walk of life there some utter nutters out there and thankfully, there are not to many of them in this community, though I have to say I think I have come across one particular person who seems to hide behind a fake ID and and location and pops up now and then and poses a dumb question just to start a debate and then they go dark on it  :palm:

There's a couple of individuals here on blog who have a "holier than thou" attitude and their shit don't stink and their word is the final say.  :blah: ::) Luckily they do not participate in this thread.
Yeah, this particular person, I did actually report to Dave but he didn't think it was that bad and elected to do nothing about it, fair enough it his forum anyway and lets face it, its generally a really good forum but this one person did one time really piss me off because whenever anyone actually asked for further clarification on a point they would never respond and just when you thought the topic was done and dusted, up they'd pop and thrown in some more shit. I've got to a point now where if they pop up I tend to ignore them, but its still niggles at you if you know what I mean. You want to chip and sort of help them because you think you can, and then you remember all the shit from previous attempts to help and then say sod it and move on.
Say, was there any LED lighting involved? :palm:
Nope none at all.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37068 on: August 18, 2019, 03:16:03 am »
Yea ADMS301 -   ADMS301   I'm trying some soldering with it right now. Very nice.

Oh, I must've gotten the models mixed up. I could've sworn the 5" display was the 302 and the 301 was 3.5". Nevermind.

mnem
*toddling off to ded*

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37069 on: August 18, 2019, 03:34:24 am »

mnem
*nutter-butter nutter*
Humans are very messy creatures from a microbiology point of view. We're essentially walking zoos. We went there a fair few times. We very likely left tardigrades before and a whole load of other organisms for sure.

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2019/3/22/18236125/apollo-moon-poop-mars-science

Yeah, that shit's been aging for 50 years, soaking up cosmic rays and those from multiple plutonium slow-reactors like radioactive outer space brie couronne. We totally need to go back for it.   :-DD

mnem
Nearly a hundred baggies in all, IIRC. Lots of data. Science, gawddammitt!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 03:38:18 am by mnementh »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37070 on: August 18, 2019, 10:50:39 am »
Yes it should be nice and ripe by now[emoji1787][emoji1787]

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37071 on: August 18, 2019, 10:56:15 am »
Wonder if it went furry or not?  :-DD

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #37072 on: August 18, 2019, 11:09:29 am »

I 3D printed my own, based on the HP equivalent; in SLA from dirtypcbs they cost about £1

https://entertaininghacks.wordpress.com/2016/09/17/scope-probe-accessory-higher-frequency-results/
https://entertaininghacks.wordpress.com/2015/04/23/scope-probe-accessory-improves-signal-fidelity/

If you meant,you can have the OPENscad source file and tweak the dimensions o suit your probe.

SLA and shapeways nylon are much better than PLA.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #37073 on: August 18, 2019, 11:45:23 am »

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2019/3/22/18236125/apollo-moon-poop-mars-science

Yeah, that shit's been aging for 50 years, soaking up cosmic rays and those from multiple plutonium slow-reactors like radioactive outer space brie couronne. We totally need to go back for it.   :-DD

mnem
Nearly a hundred baggies in all, IIRC. Lots of data. Science, gawddammitt!
Plus lots of pieces of equipment and pieces of Moon that have been in contact with humans which may or may not shield organisms from space. They kept the suits in the living quarters and then went strolling around the Moon with them. Changes are there's a booger wiped on the bottom of a Moon rock somewhere.  ;D

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #37074 on: August 18, 2019, 12:57:53 pm »
Is this how it ends?  :o Have we discussed everything possible and reached the end of the Internet and resorting to discussing poop on the moon?  :palm: Somehow I think we missed a few subjects.  :-DD

And look at it this way. When an archeologist discovers a piece of fossilized human shit 10,000 years old they marvel at the find because it provides evidence of our ancient life style. 10,000 years from now when we colonize the moon a future archeologist will discover the moon shit and marvel that we managed to survive on the crap we ate.  :-// 
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 12:59:57 pm by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf