Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14549067 times)

MVSantos, Ice-Tea and 25 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #37075 on: August 18, 2019, 01:00:38 pm »
I think they’ll be more surprised we got to the moon once.

Went bowling with the kids yesterday morning. I was on “team turd” so yes everything comes down to poo.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #37076 on: August 18, 2019, 01:07:01 pm »
Is this how it ends?  :o Have we discussed everything possible and reached the end of the Internet and resorting to discussing poop on the moon?  :palm: Somehow I think we missing a few subjects.  :-DD

And look at it this way. When an archeologist discovers a piece of fossilized human shit 10,000 years old they marvel at the find because it provides evidence of our ancient life style. 10,000 years from now when we colonize the moon a future archeologist will discover the moon shit and marvel that we managed to survive on the crap we ate.  :-//
It's actually a remarkably interesting subject. Definitely more than most on the internet. Not just because it highlights the more practical sides and less glamorous of the Moon flight but also because it's scientifically interesting as the video posted already indicated somewhat. It being about poop doesn't make it infantile. That's just the added bonus. ;D In all seriousness I don't think Moon faeces is very representative as it's not very typical food eaten in very unusual circumstances.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 01:08:40 pm by Mr. Scram »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #37077 on: August 18, 2019, 01:23:16 pm »
Is this how it ends?  :o Have we discussed everything possible and reached the end of the Internet and resorting to discussing poop on the moon?  :palm: Somehow I think we missing a few subjects.  :-DD

And look at it this way. When an archeologist discovers a piece of fossilized human shit 10,000 years old they marvel at the find because it provides evidence of our ancient life style. 10,000 years from now when we colonize the moon a future archeologist will discover the moon shit and marvel that we managed to survive on the crap we ate.  :-//
It's actually a remarkably interesting subject. Definitely more than most on the internet. Not just because it highlights the more practical sides and less glamorous of the Moon flight but also because it's scientifically interesting as the video posted already indicated somewhat. It being about poop doesn't make it infantile. That's just the added bonus. ;D In all seriousness I don't think Moon faeces is very representative as it's not very typical food eaten in very unusual circumstances.

Perhaps. But to me the only time I care much about poop is when I must pass one or if I'm out and about and accidentally step in dog shit.  :rant:
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37078 on: August 18, 2019, 01:49:13 pm »
Ok it's Sunday afternoon, I've had a couple of beers and I'm now looking at boat anchors with valves in them  :-DD

This thread is definitely an enabling thread.  :-DD

Edit: my excuse is that winter is coming and of course I need something to keep the place warm :D

Edit: this looks fun https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323883516377
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 01:54:03 pm by bd139 »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #37079 on: August 18, 2019, 02:11:07 pm »

I would submit that the pureed carrots and meatloaf they ate back then in a space capsule were much closer to "natural" foods than what we eat now, which has to be genetically modified to survive the pesticides we spray on it, and has been irrigated with toxic waste runoff water from fracking oil/natural gas wells.  :o

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37080 on: August 18, 2019, 02:21:01 pm »
This looks fun https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323883516377

Pro:   Real dual beam
Con:  Someone's been in there before and 3 tube clips missing, I wonder where they went.
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #37081 on: August 18, 2019, 02:34:29 pm »
Ok it's Sunday afternoon, I've had a couple of beers and I'm now looking at boat anchors with valves in them  :-DD

Edit: my excuse is that winter is coming and of course I need something to keep the place warm :D

Look at all the goodies in there!  :-+ :-DD If it were on this side of the pond I just might consider it.  :-/O

Edit...need some encouragement? VALVES! (vacuum tubes  :-DD)

« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 02:37:54 pm by med6753 »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #37082 on: August 18, 2019, 02:48:38 pm »
BTW....see that large object in the center of the pix that looks like a transformer? It's actually a filter choke. It looks like a transformer but only has 2 leads coming out the same side. It's used in a vacuum tube B+ supply to provide additional filtering in addition to the capacitors.

I need one, about that size. New ones are quite pricey. If someone has one floating around in their junk box I'll gladly take it off your hands for cost of shipping plus. Note that it must be a small one, not the huge filter chokes typically used in audio amps or bench supplies.

:-+ :-+

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37083 on: August 18, 2019, 03:06:46 pm »
These guys in the UK make them new for a good price: http://primarywindings.com/product-category/chokes/

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #37084 on: August 18, 2019, 03:20:07 pm »
10H and 20H chokes are freaking huge.  :-DD I'm talking something in the mH range. 

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37085 on: August 18, 2019, 03:40:58 pm »
Ahh. How much current? If it’s up to about 30mA then Bourns do some cheap ones. Also look out for Epcos common mode chokes. They can be used as well.

Assume that’s for caveman HT smoothing?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37086 on: August 18, 2019, 04:12:35 pm »
Time for a huge toroid and some 18ga Kynar wire... :o

mnem
*visiting the in-laws*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37087 on: August 18, 2019, 04:22:35 pm »
LOL you'd be there a week doing a toroid at that inductance  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #37088 on: August 18, 2019, 04:27:19 pm »
Ahh. How much current? If it’s up to about 30mA then Bourns do some cheap ones. Also look out for Epcos common mode chokes. They can be used as well.

No, I want to rebuild the B+ supply in the Heath OL-1 proper, with a filter choke like it should have been done when designed. Heath left one out to keep the price down. So the trace has a very small, but noticeable, ripple on it that I want to get rid of. Adding capacitance is a double-edged sword in that it increases the load on the rectifier and may burn it out. I guess I'm just too anal about it. That scope currently has a better trace than any other OL-1 ever built due to my mods so far. 

Edit, we're talking about 400VDC and I'm assuming less than 100mA.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37089 on: August 18, 2019, 04:28:19 pm »
LOL you'd be there a week doing a toroid at that inductance  :-DD

Oh, yeah.  You said mH, not uH.  :P

mnem
*at the in-laws with the ‘lurgy*

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37090 on: August 18, 2019, 04:55:14 pm »
[RANDOM MODE]

https://blog.xkcd.com/2019/08/16/serena-versus-the-drones/

[/RANDOM MODE]

mnem
I’d totally pay to see that.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 04:57:12 pm by mnementh »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37091 on: August 18, 2019, 05:02:03 pm »

Look at all the goodies in there!  :-+ :-DD If it were on this side of the pond I just might consider it.  :-/O

Edit...need some encouragement? VALVES! (vacuum tubes  :-DD)

They are called valves not tubes, typical American, why use 1 word when you can use 2  :-DD :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37092 on: August 18, 2019, 05:04:12 pm »

No, I want to rebuild the B+ supply in the Heath OL-1 proper, with a filter choke like it should have been done when designed. Heath left one out to keep the price down. So the trace has a very small, but noticeable, ripple on it that I want to get rid of. Adding capacitance is a double-edged sword in that it increases the load on the rectifier and may burn it out. I guess I'm just too anal about it. That scope currently has a better trace than any other OL-1 ever built due to my mods so far. 

Im a cheap ass too, possibly slightly less than Heathkit so had a look at the schematic. It uses mostly differential stages. In theory (not necessarily in implementation with Griefkit) these should have a decent (for the age) power supply rejection ratio. I’d pull V1 out then measure ripple on the plates. Get the feeling that’s where it’s actually coming from.

Disclaimer: may be wrong but worth a check :)

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #37093 on: August 18, 2019, 05:04:40 pm »
[RANDOM MODE]

https://blog.xkcd.com/2019/08/16/serena-versus-the-drones/

[/RANDOM MODE]

mnem
I’d totally pay to see that.

I'm not surprised at all that she took it out in 3 or less.  :-+

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #37094 on: August 18, 2019, 05:08:21 pm »

Im a cheap ass too, possibly slightly less than Heathkit so had a look at the schematic. It uses mostly differential stages. In theory (not necessarily in implementation with Griefkit) these should have a decent (for the age) power supply rejection ratio. I’d pull V1 out then measure ripple on the plates. Get the feeling that’s where it’s actually coming from.

Disclaimer: may be wrong but worth a check :)

That's exactly where it's coming from. I've already determined that. It's a high gain pre-amp with a somewhat shitty supply. Any quality audio pre-amp wouldn't be like that.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37095 on: August 18, 2019, 05:15:25 pm »
Gotcha. All makes sense. Bourns radial ones then. Cheap and cheerful. Series a few up to make a bigger one.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #37096 on: August 18, 2019, 05:18:01 pm »
Gotcha. All makes sense. Bourns radial ones then. Cheap and cheerful. Series a few up to make a bigger one.

Can you give me an example of what you mean?  :-//

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37097 on: August 18, 2019, 05:29:27 pm »
https://www.bourns.com/pdfs/RLB9012.pdf

You have to trade off current with inductance so you might have to put a few in series.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #37098 on: August 18, 2019, 05:45:02 pm »
@bd139
So, finally you've sniped the HP 209A oscillator? Congrats  :clap:   :-+   :D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37099 on: August 18, 2019, 05:46:49 pm »
Fuck! Completely forgot about that! Wasn’t me :(

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf