Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14819589 times)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #37375 on: August 24, 2019, 04:07:48 pm »

And that D (tan δ) factor can be directly compared against the datasheet, unlike ESR. Except of course in the case of a 50-year-old cap like this one.  :-DD

mnem
The right tool for the job.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 04:10:49 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37376 on: August 24, 2019, 04:16:25 pm »
Stop selling me things  :-DD Next month  :-+

Need to bounce the 475 first

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37377 on: August 24, 2019, 04:39:15 pm »
Fair dinkum, sez I.  :-+

mnem
 :popcorn:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #37378 on: August 24, 2019, 05:38:43 pm »
@mnem, which ebay seller did you recommend getting that LCR meter from, again?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37379 on: August 24, 2019, 05:58:48 pm »
Seller was eina-japan : eBay auction: #283491066156

I waited for an eBay 15% off coupon; IIRC, Labor Day weekend a year ago. Net cost was US$88.40. Be patient though; seller ships economy at that price, took about 3 weeks. I got we-e-e-y frustrated at the time it took once it was stateside; like a week to get to the US, 2 weeks to get from CA to me.  :scared: But it arrived full kit (less AC adapter, like I care) and all parts in (Japanese printed) retail packaging at that price.  :-+

mnem
*currently nuking a table saw*
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 06:00:52 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #37380 on: August 24, 2019, 06:02:32 pm »

This guy is unbeliveable. [...] 

Gotta love using a spectrum analyzer to tune a guitar...

Yeah, that was cool. I never read up on the specs of the HP 3582A and, hence, didn't know it was a 14-bit FFT analyzer. I should try a similar tuning operation with an Analog Discovery.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #37381 on: August 24, 2019, 06:12:25 pm »
@mnem, which ebay seller did you recommend getting that LCR meter from, again?
Seller was eina-japan : eBay auction: #283491066156

The vendors from Japan are OK. Stick with those for the DE-5000. Don't get lured by the deals from other locations in Asia. They're usually scams.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37382 on: August 24, 2019, 07:18:07 pm »
(Attachment Link)

And that D (tan δ) factor can be directly compared against the datasheet, unlike ESR. Except of course in the case of a 50-year-old cap like this one.  :-DD

mnem
I do like that DE5000 for its portability but I still much prefer my XJW01, its really accurate and present more data as well at the same time, should you need it and of course its Kelvin based for even greater accuracy for £

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37383 on: August 24, 2019, 07:24:51 pm »
Thanks guys. Right now I just need something quick and dirty for finding high ESR caps and the like when I repair a piece of gear, so the DE-5000 is very attractive. Ultimately I would love one of those high end LCR meters like a GenRad Digibridge, but don't want to spend that much right now.  :scared:

On the bright side, I've been gathering materials needed to build and experiment with a Jim Williams avalanche pulse generator (from App Note 47's appendices). One problem has been finding 2N2369s in quantity. I got a couple from an ebay seller, but they only had 4 and they were expensive. Wouldn't you know, I found a drawer full of the damn things at my local surplus joint, for MUCH cheaper. Still in factory packaging.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37384 on: August 24, 2019, 08:00:58 pm »
Quick and dirty: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/5-transistor-esr-meter-design/msg2327025/#msg2327025

See start of thread for schematic

Got tonnes of 2n2369’s here. CDIL still produce them and they’re as good as the original parts.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #37385 on: August 24, 2019, 08:08:03 pm »
Thanks guys. Right now I just need something quick and dirty for finding high ESR caps and the like when I repair a piece of gear, so the DE-5000 is very attractive. Ultimately I would love one of those high end LCR meters like a GenRad Digibridge, but don't want to spend that much right now.  :scared:

Take a 50ohm signal generator. Model the capacitor as an ideal capacitor plus a series resistor.  Set the sig gen  to generate a square wave with appropriate frequency amplitude and, for bonus points, DC offset voltage.  Monitor the voltage across the capacitor with a scope.

The waveform you see will be an initial step followed by the usual exponential.

Ignore the exponential and concentrate on the step,. The step amplitude is the potential divider of the ESR, the 50ohms and the step amplitude. Given that the ESR << 50ohms, the calculation is relatively easy.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37386 on: August 24, 2019, 08:38:01 pm »
(Attachment Link)

mnem
I do like that DE5000 for its portability but I still much prefer my XJW01, its really accurate and present more data as well at the same time, should you need it and of course its Kelvin based for even greater accuracy for £

The DE5000 is 100% Kelvin as well, right up to the clips / tips of the tweezers themselves.
Not a damn thing wrong with it, and they're a helluvalot more convenient (and I'll argue, better connection most of the time) than trying to put 4 clips of any sort on 2 contact points on the DUT.

For the price, there's really NO NEED TO CHOOSE...
you CAN have both, and I'd argue the DE5000 is a lot more value for the bench space it occupies than yet ANOTHER DMM, which none of us would even think twice about spending that $90  on.  :-+

mnem
 :-DMM
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 08:50:59 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37387 on: August 24, 2019, 08:48:36 pm »

The DE5000 is a great meter from a daily use perspective. Most of the time, I just use the tweezers; there are very few components I run into they won't get a good connection on. Once you develop your own "fingering technique" for handling them, you'll agree hands down.

mnem
*ducks soggy ol' boot thrown from md's vicinity*

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37388 on: August 24, 2019, 08:56:41 pm »

The DE5000 is a great meter from a daily use perspective. Most of the time, I just use the tweezers; there are very few components I run into they won't get a good connection on. Once you develop your own "fingering technique" for handling them, you'll agree hands down.

mnem
*ducks soggy ol' boot thrown from md's vicinity*

It does look like it'll do exactly what I need. I'll wait for it to go on sale...in the meantime, following the advice above and using a 'scope and function generator works fine.  :-+

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #37389 on: August 24, 2019, 09:18:15 pm »
That DE500 looks interesting. I may spring for one too.

Did absolutely nothing TEA related today. Grocery shopping early this morning. Took an old man nap later, which I rarely do, woke up the old Civic and took it for a spin....and that's about it. I thought about working on the 485 some more but that's as far as it got.  :P Maybe tomorrow. Starting Monday and for the rest of the week I'll be down in NYC visiting and painting.  :D   
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37390 on: August 24, 2019, 09:19:38 pm »
Keep your eyeballs peeled on fleaBay; the coupon I used was one of their seasonal ones, NOT from the vendor. They don't always send out an eMail; sometimes you have to catch it (they usually only last like 24 hours) on the eBay home page.  :-+

mnem
 :-/O

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37391 on: August 24, 2019, 09:29:33 pm »

From the Real Virtuality Dept...

Sold as "New Other", appear to be "lightly used" & repaired; found a scarred screw like somebody replaced an earpiece. 100% functional!  :-+

First impressions: SDE MUCH improved over DK2 & Rift CE. Barely noticeable, & rotated 45° like the CE, but higher res and better contrast greatly reduce perceived fuzziness compared to the CE. I am actually typing this viewing my browser through the WMR home portal, something I could NEVER stand to do with either of my previous HMDs. Same wearability complaints as other users; lenses too close, need extra-thick forehead pad to get focal distance right & overhead strap to eliminate excess nose pressure. Still better than most FPV goggles.  :-+

I almost bought a few months ago when the full kit was reduced to $299, but I was just overextended due to my recent Ryzen 3700X build. Now they're $380 new/$300-400 used (or more... :wtf:) ~$150 is, I feel, a reasonable price for "lightly used" headset only, especially considering I really want to do the Valve Knuckles controllers anyways.

mnem
*Virtual-ily*
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 11:26:50 pm by mnementh »

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #37392 on: August 24, 2019, 10:11:08 pm »
What happens if you take both the RED pill and the BLUE pill together?  :scared:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline GregDunn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #37393 on: August 24, 2019, 10:22:14 pm »
What happens if you take both the RED pill and the BLUE pill together?  :scared:

"PURPLE!!!"

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37394 on: August 24, 2019, 10:43:41 pm »
I took the RED pill and the BLUEpill; we threw I Ching... out the window. now we are unanimous.

mnem
Also, my socks have NEVER gotten this clean before.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37395 on: August 25, 2019, 01:33:45 am »
This afternoon I successfully built, on perfboard instead of a breadboard, an example of Alan's latest project:

Really neat little circuit. Instead of feeding the output through a lowpass filter and into an amp, I just used a 7A22 differential amplifier in single ended mode.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, bd139

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #37396 on: August 25, 2019, 04:25:23 am »
A bit of fun, rather than serious TE but amazing bang for buck. The control interface is poor, but it really is tiny - just a bit bigger than a pack of chewing gum.
Rob
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37397 on: August 25, 2019, 05:44:48 am »
This afternoon I successfully built, on perfboard instead of a breadboard, an example of Alan's latest project:

Really neat little circuit. Instead of feeding the output through a lowpass filter and into an amp, I just used a 7A22 differential amplifier in single ended mode.  :-DD

Cool stuff. That video is in my YouTube subscriptions queue. I haven’t had a chance to watch it yet. Nice work there though  :-+

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37398 on: August 25, 2019, 09:28:13 am »
Ok all done. I resisted an 8840 DMM, 8640b signal generator, a pile of 54602s that needed repair and a tek 7623. Oh and two old Fluke 8020s which were battered.

Did buy a couple of books, a hoard of new (!) ceramic variable capacitors, a nice broadcast cap from alps, crystal socket by Millen, a couple of GDOs with coils, some panel meters and a nice little regen receiver though.

Edit: add image.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 09:38:52 am by bd139 »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #37399 on: August 25, 2019, 09:52:17 am »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf