Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14560579 times)

jazzmann, factory, marcumr, K0ELB and 33 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #38875 on: September 14, 2019, 05:25:17 pm »
In other news...the 7A16A plug-in that I won on Ebay auction has shown up. Including shipping and tax I paid an outrageous sum of $31 USD total.  :scared: ;D It will match the 7A16A I currently have. I prefer the single channel plug-in's over the dual channel like the 7A26 because it's easier to get at and clean the attenuator deck.  It's a 250MHz single channel plug-in that's the highest B/W 7000 series plug-in with 1MEG input impedance. The 7904 has a B/W of 500MHz and in order to utilize that you need to go to 50 ohm plug-ins like the 7A24 which has a B/W of 600MHz. I have one but I don't have the proper probes for it. That's probably my next scrounge hunt.  :-+

Here it is on the left with it's companion 7A16A. Works great and going to let it cook for a while.   

600MHz ?! Only a dead probe is a good probe here. 50Ohms rules !  >:D
If it must be: A good FET probe with minimum leads. Even then, waveforms are dubious.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38876 on: September 14, 2019, 05:35:32 pm »

A long and sorry saga, how hard can it be to fix a 12MHz counter with discrete 7 series logic ?

Isn't it a factor that older equipment often fails in quite creative ways, with some components aging more gracefully than others...  transistors that nearly have enough gain,  resistors that almost have the right resistance,  capacitors that almost have the right value, IC gates that get so close to pulling its line up high enough,  a power supply that is almost quiet enough,  decoupling components that are almost good enough, that kind of thing...   

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #38877 on: September 14, 2019, 05:58:25 pm »

If it must be: A good FET probe with minimum leads. Even then, waveforms are dubious.

While I don't expect to be probing frequencies that high I suppose I should have a probe capable to match the equipment. It's that boy scout motto "Be Prepared".  :-/O Besides, I now have a 485 with the "genuine" 50 ohm input in addition to 2 -2465's with the "counterfeit" 50 ohm inputs.  ;D 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #38878 on: September 14, 2019, 06:00:28 pm »

Now I just need to work out the chronology so I can watch them in the correct order  :scared:

There are several orders :( The principal ones are the production order and the "air date" order, with the season 4 finale being shown at the end of season 5. You should just watch them in the order on the DVDs :)

Apart from that, have fun with the story. If season 1 bores you, it is "permissable" to skip to season 2. Thereafter, play them in order.

Be aware that JMS sets up story points in one season, in preparation for them to be important one or even two seasons later. There's none of this "reset the plotline at the end of the episode" that you find in other "deep space franchises" :)

After you watch an episode, have a look at the relevant http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/countries/us/eplist.html and see all the things you missed. Uniquely, the comments from JMS were made online immediately after each show's premier.

There are more than a few S1 episodes which are important to understanding some of the later episodes and story arc.  Watching them with this in mind may help you get through them even though there is not much plot advancement.  A few are critical to see, otherwise you will be surprised and confused by a few things in pretty much every following season.  This is a rough recommendation of which ones should be watched:

The Gathering: intro to most of the characters.
Midnight on the Firing Line: more back story and a few helpful details about some of the alien races and Sinclair's story.
Soul Hunter: very useful to put a later made-for-TV movie into context, not essential to the plot.
Born to the Purple: much useful info on the Centauri, and there's a callback, in S5, to this episode which is important.
And the Sky Full of Stars: helps define Sinclair's story and the Earth-Minbari War.
Signs and Portents: introduces critical story arc details.
Legacies: a couple of small details that will become important later, not much story arc.
A Voice In the Wilderness, 1 and 2: essential.
Babylon Squared: essential.
The Quality of Mercy: contains essential info for several later episodes even though it does not advance the story.
Chrysalis: from here on, nearly every episode through S4 is important to the overall story.

I would add that the first part of S5 is pretty poorly laid out, but it ramps up after a few episodes and rounds out the 5 year story - plus the "conclusion".

Just remember that although you can probably gloss over a number of episodes without missing the overall story, many of them will provide context and make the story more complete.  I, myself, watched every episode the first time, but tend to skip a few on re-watching because I know the essentials and don't care to see them again.  If you choose to skip an episode, I recommend reading the "Lurker's Guide" entry for that episode; you may feel you need to watch it anyway!

You can probably skip the remaining S1 episodes without much damage, because they don't move the story along.  However, every episode has some info in it which may help understanding the characters and universe, so keep that in mind.  Pay close attention to anything involving the Psi Corps and the Minbari.

Enjoy!

All episodes are essential!!!

No episodes will be skipped, you goddam heretic!!!!!

I understand the characters and universe very well, i watched them as they aired in the 1990s, missed a few due to unavoidable crapness (family commitments, work etc), missed some of the feature length ones as they didn't air in the UK until later, and I didn't know they were coming.

When it comes to stuff like this, I am 100% anal and want to watch every single minute in chronological EDIT story EDIT order.

Re: Casio calculators, I had an FX 82, have a FX350 and a FX 83 GT+ atm. I used (once upon a time) to have a Casio green vfd 4-banger, and also a Rockwell International red bubble LED scientific which I no longer can find  :'(
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 06:04:59 pm by ThickPhilM »
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #38879 on: September 14, 2019, 06:53:29 pm »
To give you some idea how amazing an example of the storytelling art this series is... It's been easily 10 years since I last watched, and I STILL remember every episode in Greg's list.

Just as the works of Bova, Clarke, Heinlein & Asimov are seminal in written Scifi, so this program is in Television; one in a short list of groundbreaking programs like Outer Limits & Twilight Zone.

mnem
Yes, and *grudgingly* Star Trek as well...
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: GregDunn

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38880 on: September 14, 2019, 07:03:48 pm »
600MHz ?! Only a dead probe is a good probe here. 50Ohms rules !  >:D   If it must be: A good FET probe with minimum leads. Even then, waveforms are dubious.

Fuck you and your observational uncertainty! And fuck Schrödinger, AND his fuckerized/not-fuckerized cat while you're at it!  :-DD

mnem
I suggest the 24-inch Stillson wrench for best orbital velocity. >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #38881 on: September 14, 2019, 07:08:36 pm »
Trying to {not} brick my Ender by burning bootloader and updating firmware.

What will happen?

Stay tuned ...  :popcorn:

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #38882 on: September 14, 2019, 07:09:58 pm »
600MHz ?! Only a dead probe is a good probe here. 50Ohms rules !  >:D   If it must be: A good FET probe with minimum leads. Even then, waveforms are dubious.

Fuck you and your observational uncertainty! And fuck Schrödinger, AND his fuckerized/not-fuckerized cat while you're at it!  :-DD

mnem
Maybe your wet finger is a better probe  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38883 on: September 14, 2019, 07:21:42 pm »
The replacement 465B PSU capacitors are installed. At bd139 and mnem's insistence I used the Ebay adapter rings to do the install rather than bodge it.  :P Mnem, I'll ask you again.....r  u fucking happy now???  :-DD

Seriously, those adapters did make it much easier and neater to install. Now to put it back together and smoke test.  :-+

I like those adaptors, a neat solution  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38884 on: September 14, 2019, 08:46:21 pm »
Fuck it. I forgot to bid on these earlier  :palm:

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38885 on: September 14, 2019, 10:09:29 pm »

I had the hp on top, lots of gold traces in that one. Would like to obtain a nixie unit too when I can.  :popcorn:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38886 on: September 14, 2019, 10:47:37 pm »
Yeah that was the plan. To stare at the gold traces :(

The Heathkit counter is pretty cool. I had one years ago. I miss it :(

Boo hiss.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #38887 on: September 14, 2019, 11:02:27 pm »

While I don't expect to be probing frequencies that high I suppose I should have a probe capable to match the equipment. It's that boy scout motto "Be Prepared".  :-/O Besides, I now have a 485 with the "genuine" 50 ohm input in addition to 2 -2465's with the "counterfeit" 50 ohm inputs.  ;D

The good news is the P6201 FET probe has it's own internal termination available for use with high impedance scope inputs.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38888 on: September 14, 2019, 11:35:12 pm »

mnem
Maybe your wet finger is a better probe  :-DD

Depending on objective and test subject, absolutely.  >:D

mnem
"Shave 'em DRY-Y-Y!!!" ~my OTHER inner demon

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38889 on: September 14, 2019, 11:48:50 pm »
From The Mouths of Babes Dept...
" is so weird, but you still let me watch it..."
"Well it is dumber than advertised, but unlike most of Primetime, it has a generally positive message."
"But daddy... it's Netflix, not Prime."
*gets a little misty-eyed* "Son, I am SO thankful that you have no idea what Primetime is..."

mnem
*doing something right*
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 11:54:37 pm by mnementh »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38890 on: September 14, 2019, 11:54:39 pm »
Does anyone know what I might use an HP 6177C current source for? Looks like 500mA with 50V compliance. There’s a rather nice looking one on eBay. I can’t think of a use now for one off the top of my head but I will probably find a use for one in the future and regret not buying it if I do.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38891 on: September 14, 2019, 11:56:32 pm »
Sounds like the type of equipment that belongs precariously balanced above an office door...  >:D

mnem
Or, you know, propping it open.

Offline GregDunn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #38892 on: September 15, 2019, 12:00:24 am »

All episodes are essential!!!

No episodes will be skipped, you goddam heretic!!!!!

I understand the characters and universe very well, i watched them as they aired in the 1990s, missed a few due to unavoidable crapness (family commitments, work etc), missed some of the feature length ones as they didn't air in the UK until later, and I didn't know they were coming.

When it comes to stuff like this, I am 100% anal and want to watch every single minute in chronological EDIT story EDIT order.

If I was sure the viewer was going to attempt to be focused on the show, I'd definitely insist they watch the whole sequence - but the younger people I've tried to interest in it tend to need action and faster plot motion to keep their attention.   :-\  For sure almost 100% of the episodes contribute to the story arc.  I tried to get my (adult) daughter interested in the show but even with hitting the high points of the first season she lost interest and didn't proceed to S2.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 02:05:53 am by GregDunn »

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38893 on: September 15, 2019, 12:02:10 am »
Does anyone know what I might use an HP 6177C current source for? Looks like 500mA with 50V compliance. There’s a rather nice looking one on eBay. I can’t think of a use now for one off the top of my head but I will probably find a use for one in the future and regret not buying it if I do.

enabling_mode = ON;

I see 'em on Ebay now for around $160. I dunno what to use it for either, but it's best to have it in case you need it.

enabling_mode = OFF;

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38894 on: September 15, 2019, 12:12:01 am »
   Trying to {not} brick my Ender by burning bootloader and updating firmware.   What will happen?  Stay tuned ...  :popcorn:

I'm trying to make myself tear mine down and pack it away. Been trying for about a week...   :palm:

mnem
 :-\

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline Addicted2AnalogTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #38895 on: September 15, 2019, 12:15:22 am »

enabling_mode = ON;

I see 'em on Ebay now for around $160. I dunno what to use it for either, but it's best to have it in case you need it.

enabling_mode = OFF;

If you need a reason to buy stuff just look at the calibration procedures for each piece of equipment you own, then when you acquire those, look at what you need to calibrate them as well......  >:D

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38896 on: September 15, 2019, 12:17:20 am »
   Trying to {not} brick my Ender by burning bootloader and updating firmware.   What will happen?  Stay tuned ...  :popcorn:

I'm trying to make myself tear mine down and pack it away. Been trying for about a week...   :palm:

mnem
 :-\

LOL yea it might work again if your lucky.  :-DD

Looks like I came out OK here on the firmware. All is well and printed a test cube with 0.8mm sides OK.  :box:

If you need a reason to buy stuff just look at the calibration procedures for each piece of equipment you own, then when you acquire those, look at what you need to calibrate them as well......  >:D

I like your attitude. You are becoming a valued member of this little group.  :-+

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #38897 on: September 15, 2019, 12:35:37 am »

I have 2 of the 3466's here.  I liked them before I replaced the jacks with safety jacks.  I like them even more.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #38898 on: September 15, 2019, 01:08:01 am »

Characterizing components would be one use. Let the voltage run free and lock the current to X. Inject X mA into a Transistor, LED etc then measure voltage gain......
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38899 on: September 15, 2019, 02:06:02 am »
I hope you have more luck than I with the 6177B. The changes from the original version are of such a magnitude that I find it irresponsible of HP that no updates of (for example) the location diagrams/PCb views were made. Also, the fault-finding procedure involves a lot of soldering.
Other that that, I would like to have one, if it did work.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf