Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14918417 times)

shakalnokturn and 236 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #39050 on: September 17, 2019, 01:36:47 pm »
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #39051 on: September 17, 2019, 01:50:26 pm »
bd139 gefickt Molexstecker! Scheisse!
See! You're already getting the hang of it :D - McBryce.

Curse-words are always the most fun part of learning any other language; for example, I know just enough Spanish (Mexican) and enough French to get my face slapped; so whether I flee North or South I'm covered.  :-DD

mnem
¡ay! Chingao pequeño chingadero!!!

Vou parlez mot! Merde'!!!

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #39052 on: September 17, 2019, 01:53:48 pm »
bd139 gefickt Molexstecker! Scheisse!
See! You're already getting the hang of it :D - McBryce.

Curse-words are always the most fun part of learning any other language; for example, I know just enough Spanish (Mexican) and enough French to get my face slapped; so whether I flee North or South I'm covered.  :-DD

mnem
¡ay! Chingao pequeño chingadero!!!

Vou parlez mot! Merde'!!!

Living with a Puerto Rican the only Spanish I ever learned was the curse words directed at me.  :-DD 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39053 on: September 17, 2019, 01:57:50 pm »
Yes, as stated. With just one verb in the sentence the verb is between subject and object:

"bd139 verlötet Molexstecker" = bd139 miss-solders Molex connectors

With supporting verbs in the sentence or fragmented sentences, the verb(s) move to the end:

"bd139 hat den Molexstecker verlötet" = bd139 miss-soldered the Molex stecker (Past tense, verb at the end)

"bd139 merkte nicht, daß er den Molexstecker verlötet hat" = bd139 didn't notice that he miss-soldered the Molex Stecker (Fragmented past tense sentence, two verbs at the end)

"Hätte bd139 es richtig gelötet, wäre weniger Rauch im Zimmer" = If bd139 had soldered it correctly, there'd be less smoke in the room (just added to complete the story :D )

McBryce.
Some might say he's not equal to the task !  :-DD

"GROOOOOANNNN!!!"   * Tosses two pairs of soggy ol' boots in tautech's general direction* That pun was THAT bad...  :palm:

mnem
Also, a good excuse to bring this conversation up again.   >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39054 on: September 17, 2019, 02:04:00 pm »
Got new laptop. Phew. Damn thing is immaculate. No sign of use. Also 372 days of Lenovo warranty left, decent Samsung SSD, perfect full HD screen, new genuine USB-C charger. Winner  :-+

Well USB-C at least stops us from making jokes about you putting connectors in the wrong way :)

McBryce.
   Hahaha it's got plenty of those USBs and I've done it several times already today  :-DD
"OH FUCK!!! This is a Lenovo; THAT'S AN IDIOTIC CHARGER PLUG that just LOOKS exactly like a USB..."    :palm:   |O :scared:

mnem
¡ay! Chingao pequeño chingadero!!! :-DD
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 02:07:10 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39055 on: September 17, 2019, 02:10:19 pm »
Also another problem with USB is that USB plugs neatly fit into the ethernet hole too.

Hey!!! That there's my job security you're bitching about!!!  :-DD

mnem
"Some people could fuck up a wet dream."

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39056 on: September 17, 2019, 02:25:15 pm »

Hahaha it's got plenty of those USBs and I've done it several times already today  :-DD
I hate the USB connector design. Why didn't they make the top or bottom easier to see?  :palm:

Actually, it was part of the original USB design spec that the plug connector always have the USB symbol on the same side (pins up), and that the port ALWAYS be CLEARLY marked with the USB symbol on the correct side of the port to demonstrate correct orientation. Also part of spec was that the plugs/ports be made to such tolerance of rigid enough materials that it really is not possible to plug it in upside-down without just jamming the fuck out of it like an imbecile. Corporate fuckwittery & cost-cutting is the reason those specifications became so fungible; no other excuse.  |O

mnem
Of course, enginerding myopia fuckwittery is the reason that devolution was not anticipated and engineered out of the design. :palm:
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 02:29:35 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #39057 on: September 17, 2019, 02:34:43 pm »
Actually, it was part of the original USB design spec that the plug connector always have the USB symbol on the same side (pins up), and that the port ALWAYS be CLEARLY marked with the USB symbol on the correct side of the port to demonstrate correct orientation. Also part of spec was that the plugs/ports be made to such tolerance of rigid enough materials that it really is not possible to plug it in upside-down without just jamming the fuck out of it like an imbecile. Corporate fuckwittery & cost-cutting is the reason those specifications became so fungible; no other excuse.  |O

Again my neighbors ...

The wife uses a bottle of whiteout to mark connectors. There are little dots all over the connectors in the house (and remotes) - dot(s) for the top of the connector and the number of dots correspond to the remote control that goes with it (which also has white dots).

Hey whatever works right?  :-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #39058 on: September 17, 2019, 03:47:29 pm »

Again my neighbors ...

The wife uses a bottle of whiteout to mark connectors. There are little dots all over the connectors in the house (and remotes) - dot(s) for the top of the connector and the number of dots correspond to the remote control that goes with it (which also has white dots).

Hey whatever works right?  :-DD

Smart lady. A simple and elegant solution rather than the fussing and whining I'm witnessing here.  ::) :P :-DD

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39059 on: September 17, 2019, 04:11:56 pm »
Just came across this gem of a document. I don't think there's anything out there with this level of detail in it:

http://w140.com/tekwiki/images/8/81/Tek_type_453_lecture_notes.pdf

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, bitseeker, med6753, mnementh, worsthorse

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39060 on: September 17, 2019, 04:16:29 pm »
Just came across this gem of a document. I don't think there's anything out there with this level of detail in it:

Skimmed through it - nice. Would really help in troubleshooting it.  :-+
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #39061 on: September 17, 2019, 04:17:28 pm »

Skimmed through it - nice. Would really help in troubleshooting it.  :-+

It also details the nuvistor front end.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #39062 on: September 17, 2019, 04:18:58 pm »
This was not only my Lady Copper's co-worker but also a personal friend. Really sucks.  :--

https://nypost.com/2019/09/16/murder-suicide-victim-identified-as-nypd-school-safety-officer/

Offline GregDunn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #39063 on: September 17, 2019, 05:22:48 pm »

mnem
Of course, enginerding myopia fuckwittery is the reason that devolution was not anticipated and engineered out of the design. :palm:

Yup.  Badly designed sockets exist on pretty much every USB hub or computer; I have sitting in front of me a device with multiple USB sockets, one of which is inverted with respect to the others - and no polarity indicators.  If I can see the key inside the socket when making the connection, I'm OK; otherwise, the plug will fit either way but only fully seats in one position.  Worse, some of them take enough force to seat properly that you really have to be careful when you can't see the orientation.  Bad engineering, full stop.

The plug is also, as noted, exactly the right width to fit into more than one other type of socket, which is great when you have a partially hidden device and no polarity indicators.  USB-C at least eliminates the polarization issue, though I'm very nervous about the long term survivability of that little male contact inside the socket.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39064 on: September 17, 2019, 05:59:14 pm »
Yes. but the corporate overlords who actually make such decisions just smile and think "Turnover... Ka-ching!!!"  :-DD

Remember that most of the "game-changing" engineering decisions made nowadays are NOT made by engineers, but rather by corporate money people.

They see cost analysis from say Foxconn for a double USB that costs x dollars per thousand, and go:

"That's 1% of our manufacturing cost per unit. How can we cut that down?"
Foxconn rep says:
"We can't... tolerances are too tight; that level of precision requires certain machinery."

"How can we make it on cheaper machinery?"
"Well, relaxing dimensional tolerances from 5 mils to 20 mils would let us manufacture in our Guangdong plant for half the cost, but failure rate would be high."
*$$$ signs flash in corporate money man's eyes* "How high? And how long would it work before it fails...?"

And so begins another instance of the race to the bottom...

mnem
*allergic to the BS*
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 06:23:53 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39065 on: September 17, 2019, 06:23:08 pm »
This was not only my Lady Copper's co-worker but also a personal friend. Really sucks.  :--   https://nypost.com/2019/09/16/murder-suicide-victim-identified-as-nypd-school-safety-officer/

Aww man...  :( Condolances. Not a damn thing else I can think of to say...  :-\

mnem
*totally on a different planet right now*

The following users thanked this post: med6753

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39067 on: September 17, 2019, 06:37:26 pm »
What kind of fuckery is this?!?

The Universal kind of fuckery! That kind.  :-DD

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39068 on: September 17, 2019, 06:45:46 pm »
This was not only my Lady Copper's co-worker but also a personal friend. Really sucks.  :--

https://nypost.com/2019/09/16/murder-suicide-victim-identified-as-nypd-school-safety-officer/

What is the world coming to. Really sad news. :(

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39071 on: September 17, 2019, 07:08:17 pm »
To be fair, four lumps of shit in the same box :)

The individual instruments aren't great and they were targeted as cost effective units for schools and colleges which they did the job fine for. Add a cheap 20MHz scope crate and that's a whole lab bench sorted.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39072 on: September 17, 2019, 07:08:23 pm »
Oh wait it's the MK II. I didn't see that before!  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #39073 on: September 17, 2019, 07:12:45 pm »
This was not only my Lady Copper's co-worker but also a personal friend. Really sucks.  :--   https://nypost.com/2019/09/16/murder-suicide-victim-identified-as-nypd-school-safety-officer/

Aww man...  :( Condolances. Not a damn thing else I can think of to say...  :-\

mnem
*totally on a different planet right now*

Thanks. Jo Ann told me that she can't bear to go to her funeral. But since it will be a funeral sponsored by NYPD she may be obligated to go. In fact, since she was a friend she might even be selected as part of the honor guard. I know that's gonna really affect her if she has to do that.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #39074 on: September 17, 2019, 07:15:32 pm »
To be fair, four lumps of shit in the same box :)

The individual instruments aren't great and they were targeted as cost effective units for schools and colleges which they did the job fine for. Add a cheap 20MHz scope crate and that's a whole lab bench sorted.

Or...how to fit 5 pounds of shit in a 2 pound bag in 3 easy steps.  |O ::)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf