Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14551591 times)

ProtonFox, fcb, shakalnokturn and 26 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #39350 on: September 21, 2019, 05:56:21 pm »
In the interest of getting "back to basics" and reinforcing fundamental understanding, I had the idea of splitting my lab into two. On one side, I have 'modern' stuff (low-end DSO, PSU with digital meters, PC, electronic calculator, etc.) On the other, I have set up the Simpson, an Elenco xp720 kit, junk soldering iron, an older Tek CRO, and a bamboo slide rule, among others. The idea is to work through an older textbook and lab manual and have the same or similar tools that were used in that time period to navigate it.

I've never posted in this thread before, but I think this is TEA for sure. I am trying to do this "the hard way" using the giveaway analog stuff without spending a fortune, but the older stuff is clunky, bulky, and gives me an occasional hard stare as though I should "cut the crap" and just use the more modern equipment I actually had to save up for (which is currently collecting dust on the other side of the partition since I decided to do this). I thought this might be amusing to some of you.

Yes interesting idea. I think we're all kindof spoiled these days with what we are presented from modern instruments. I need to get an analog DMM and use the mirrored scale to make some measurements.  :)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #39351 on: September 21, 2019, 05:56:30 pm »
I picked up a Simpson 260-8P with original leads last week for a song. One of the leads was bad, intemittent connection, but the unit's cal seemed spot-on, so I got Probemaster to send the oddball leads it uses; they arrived three days later. Strangely, the unit reads slightly high on volt ranges now; not sure what to think about that.

In the interest of getting "back to basics" and reinforcing fundamental understanding, I had the idea of splitting my lab into two. On one side, I have 'modern' stuff (low-end DSO, PSU with digital meters, PC, electronic calculator, etc.) On the other, I have set up the Simpson, an Elenco xp720 kit, junk soldering iron, an older Tek CRO, and a bamboo slide rule, among others. The idea is to work through an older textbook and lab manual and have the same or similar tools that were used in that time period to navigate it. I've never posted in this thread before, but I think this is TEA for sure. I am trying to do this "the hard way" using the giveaway analog stuff without spending a fortune, but the older stuff is clunky, bulky, and gives me an occasional hard stare as though I should "cut the crap" and just use the more modern equipment I actually had to save up for (which is currently collecting dust on the other side of the partition since I decided to do this). I thought this might be amusing to some of you.

First, welcome to our nuthouse. Grab a chair, relax.....and spend lots of money on Ebay.  :-DD

Second, why separate the "old" from the "new"? I got my stuff all mixed up and it works out just fine.  :-+
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #39352 on: September 21, 2019, 06:05:35 pm »
I gotta stop browsing Ebay. There's a Tek Type 114 Pulse Generator in good shape for the reasonable price of $75 USD and free shipping. So tempted to pull the trigger. Somebody save me and grab it first!  :scared:

In other news. Started working on the B&K 3010 Function Generator. Started by checking all the supply voltages and they are OK. Then went to the main oscillator and it was working. Continue probing and everything looks OK. Check the output and now the damn thing is working! I hate intermittents! Damn. Been beating and flexing it the board and still working. Gonna let it run for a while but all those capacitors are going to get replaced.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, mnementh, Kosmic

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #39353 on: September 21, 2019, 06:33:36 pm »
I am off to Mt Hood for a couple of days. Not a test probe to be found for miles up there.

I imagine there will be four hundred posts for me to read by Sunday night...   :scared:   :-DD
specialization is for insects.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39354 on: September 21, 2019, 06:35:36 pm »
In the interest of getting "back to basics" and reinforcing fundamental understanding, I had the idea of splitting my lab into two. On one side, I have 'modern' stuff (low-end DSO, PSU with digital meters, PC, electronic calculator, etc.) On the other, I have set up the Simpson, an Elenco xp720 kit, junk soldering iron, an older Tek CRO, and a bamboo slide rule, among others. The idea is to work through an older textbook and lab manual and have the same or similar tools that were used in that time period to navigate it.

I've never posted in this thread before, but I think this is TEA for sure. I am trying to do this "the hard way" using the giveaway analog stuff without spending a fortune, but the older stuff is clunky, bulky, and gives me an occasional hard stare as though I should "cut the crap" and just use the more modern equipment I actually had to save up for (which is currently collecting dust on the other side of the partition since I decided to do this). I thought this might be amusing to some of you.

Yes interesting idea. I think we're all kindof spoiled these days with what we are presented from modern instruments. I need to get an analog DMM and use the mirrored scale to make some measurements.  :)

We are indeed spoiled.

Although I have to be honest, the instruments that I get the most value from tend to be the much much older ones. In fact I've been working on the transceiver that's going in that £2 HP attenuator switch wreck chassis. It's a bitx variant with some mods (IF that doesn't suck balls, dual band, MOAR POWR!). The bits of kit I have mostly been using are a 51 year old HP 6284A, 40 year old HP 400E and a 20 year old Fluke 87. I intend to purchase an 8640B and an HP 427A at some point now I've got the 1740A as that'd be a nice and complete set (women like matching underwear, why shouldn't I like matching TE!  :-DD)

Also look at this. This is glorious. Why would you not want to use it over the new stuff?

(HP 400E)

The following users thanked this post: worsthorse

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #39355 on: September 21, 2019, 06:36:12 pm »
We’re terrible enablers. Sorry.  >:D :-DD

Speak for yourself. I'm not the least bit sorry; though I am terrible and an unrepentant enabler from way back.  >:D

Speak for yourself. I'm not sorry.  >:D ;D

JINX!!!  :-DD

Not so much a dry joint as a non joint  :palm:    I have owned this Coffee Roaster for 7 or 8 years and today was getting a weird occasional reset on the current PID as I start sorting out the Arduino based replacement for it. Only showed up because I snipped all the cable ties and had moved some of the wires, sorry PID it wasn't you I should have been swearing at. :rant:   Oh and the moral to this is the CRO and DMM I had deployed to try and bug track it was of no use ;)

Yeah, sometimes the electrons we inconvenience to get our work done inconvenience us right back.

I actually stayed the only one interested, and so acquired my first hp 5254L (with 5253B converter) for 50 bucks + 10 shipping.

Wow! You lucky dog!  :-+ Amazing it wasn't damaged what  piss-poor packing job. That's a real prize I congratulate you. Thanks for the pictures.

Ditto! Amazing all that hollow-state goodness survived the trip! Well-glommed you   :-+

My 2465 fan bodge is apparently world famous, isn't it?  |O |O :-DD :-DD

Yup; it's right there at the top of the  "How NOT to do it!"  Wiki...  :-DD

mnem

« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 06:38:42 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39356 on: September 21, 2019, 06:47:54 pm »
       In other news. Started working on the B&K 3010 Function Generator.

Started by checking all the supply voltages and they are OK. Then went to the main oscillator and it was working. Continue probing and everything looks OK. Check the output and now the damn thing is working! I hate intermittents! Damn. Been beating and flexing it the board and still working. Gonna let it run for a while but all those capacitors are going to get replaced.

Iffy crystal in the circuit somewhere? Tappity-tap? I can tell you that those both ran on my personal bench for over a decade without a lick of trouble, kept hot whenever the bench was powered up. I only took them out of service a few years (okay, 7-8 years... fuck, where did the time go...? ???) ago when I got the two Proteks I'm using now.

mnem
So much more fun kibbutzing. :popcorn:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39357 on: September 21, 2019, 06:51:35 pm »
Found a random photo from the pre-TEA dark ages:

UT61E (yuck), Heath IP-2718, PM3217, function generator the brand I can't remember, PIC16F84 frequency counter and a broken Thandar SC110A scope.

Got it working in the end. Dry solder joint. These scopes really are tiny...

For reference, those scopes are absolutely bloody awful things. Don't buy one!

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, mnementh

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #39358 on: September 21, 2019, 07:01:58 pm »
Also look at this. This is glorious. Why would you not want to use it over the new stuff?

And not a bit of acid spewed anywhere :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39359 on: September 21, 2019, 07:08:42 pm »
Yes indeed :(

RIP D75.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #39360 on: September 21, 2019, 07:09:47 pm »
       In other news. Started working on the B&K 3010 Function Generator.

Started by checking all the supply voltages and they are OK. Then went to the main oscillator and it was working. Continue probing and everything looks OK. Check the output and now the damn thing is working! I hate intermittents! Damn. Been beating and flexing it the board and still working. Gonna let it run for a while but all those capacitors are going to get replaced.

Iffy crystal in the circuit somewhere? Tappity-tap? I can tell you that those both ran on my personal bench for over a decade without a lick of trouble, kept hot whenever the bench was powered up. I only took them out of service a few years (okay, 7-8 years... fuck, where did the time go...? ???) ago when I got the two Proteks I'm using now.

mnem
So much more fun kibbutzing. :popcorn:

There's no crystal. Feedback oscillator.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #39361 on: September 21, 2019, 07:16:14 pm »
Put the 3010 back in the case and it's still working. Tis a mystery but I'll let it continue to burn-in for a few hours.

I have the parts list and here's something very interesting. The 5 - 47uf/6.3V caps are supposed to be tants. They aren't. 4.7uf/10V aluminum. Same with the 5 - 10uf/25V. They are actually 10uf/35V aluminum. And they are original. No one has been in here as far as I can tell. Hell, if it works fine with the aluminum caps that's what it's gonna get replaced with.  :-+

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #39362 on: September 21, 2019, 08:32:04 pm »
Went today with a friend of mine to a thing which is called "Repair Bar". We are a part of the repairing team
and we try to fix stuff, people bringing in. Most times electric and electronic gear but we are also
fixing some minor mechanical issues.

Today I've had a Technics record player, where driving belt disintegrated.

I showed the lady where to get a new one so next time we can fix it.

Another one was a vacuumcleaner with a broken mains switch. The lady which brought this vacuum cleaner
agreed to bypass it. During disassembling this thing I've invented some new curses.  :-/O  ;D

This is my mobile repair lab:

And this was our workbench, my colleague is actually fighting with a DAB+ ghettoblaster thingie (no sound):

It looked like the main audio amplifier IC was dead somehow, but without any schematics it is just a guess.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39363 on: September 21, 2019, 08:50:45 pm »
Ah so that's like the Apple Genius Bar but with some skills and knowledge and can actually repair stuff then?  :-DD

Great idea TBH. We should do that here. Most people just throw shit in the bin and buy more even if it's trivially broken. My nice 32" Samsung dumbass (not smart) TV cost me £0.99 thanks to a duff capacitor and buyer collects only on ebay. I had the pleasure of handing the woman £1 and saying "keep the change" :-DD

Offline Johnboy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #39364 on: September 21, 2019, 08:54:12 pm »
First, welcome to our nuthouse. Grab a chair, relax.....and spend lots of money on Ebay.  :-DD

Thanks. Sadly, I believe I've been skulking in the shadows of gear acquisition syndrome long before I felt compelled to start taking partially-working gear apart or buying mules to repair them. I'm a musician and a recording engineer, so I've been stacking half-full rack cases for most of my life. Or should I say "half-empty"?  >:D

Second, why separate the "old" from the "new"? I got my stuff all mixed up and it works out just fine.  :-+

It's just too tempting to me to reach for a calculator or pc to get an answer quickly instead of doing my own estimations and calculations on paper, and part of this masochistic exercise is learning to improvise my own solutions; relying on a tone from my old kit theremin, for example, instead of busting out a sine on my recently acquired (and currently unplugged) HP3312A. I've resolved to keep that sort of temptation at [bay], pun intended.

In that way I also hope to actually curb buying additional gear (for a while). I looked at my expenditures recently and thought, "maybe I should've just gotten an Analog Discovery and taken night classes."
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 08:59:14 pm by Johnboy »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39365 on: September 21, 2019, 08:59:57 pm »
I had to put the drool back in at the mention of a 3312A, probably the finest thing HP ever knocked out!

Offline Johnboy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #39366 on: September 21, 2019, 09:13:17 pm »
I had to put the drool back in at the mention of a 3312A, probably the finest thing HP ever knocked out!
Agreed, it's one of my favorites. But if I don't absolutely need it right now, maybe I'll appreciate it more the next time I merely have to connect a 50 Ohm coax to look at a waveform instead of rigging clothespins and chip clips to hold my case open. How many of you guys buy stuff you don't need just because of its integral beauty? I'm half hoping my function generator has some sort of massive failure so I can pretend it's modern art and fasten it to the wall...

Then I caught myself looking at that Thurlby Thandar SC110A and thinking "man, that's a nice-looking scope." :palm:
Luckily the TT stuff is uncommon enough in the States that shipping would hopefully be TEA-prohibitive.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #39367 on: September 21, 2019, 09:14:26 pm »
@ero-shan, re the 5245L, good unit! Think about the number of courier's toes that unit broke on its way to you! Revenge taken by the TE! (HiHi)
I am sure you are aware but the crystal oven remains on if the unit is plugged into the mains, mine had a burnt out x-tal heater and transformer. There is a post with pics on the forum about it somewhere.
Lots of lovely plugins to acquire - be a bit careful - check out the serial number of your unit, some changes occurred during its run, some plugins only suitable after either a mod or a after a certain serial number.
Rob
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #39368 on: September 21, 2019, 09:15:50 pm »

Hmm, this looks very nice:

But I have to disagree. :) One of (or the most) finest part HP brought out was the 3458A. Imho.

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39369 on: September 21, 2019, 09:23:36 pm »
Remember that beauty is on the inside of all things...

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Kosmic

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #39370 on: September 21, 2019, 09:31:48 pm »
So I hit up hamfest this weekend....and well, here's a list of the damage.  :-DD Pics to come as I recuperate and get things organized.

Tek Type 204 Scope-Mobile (already got the 7904A mounted on it)
Tek P6015 HV probe
Tek P6042 current probe
Tek 7A13
Tek 7A11
Tek calibration fixture
HP 5385A counter (perfect size to perch on top of the 7904A to use on the SIG OUT!)

Last (but not TEA) is an ICOM HD51A plus DSTAR capable HT.

And that's my TEA purchasing budget for a while!  :-DD  :palm:

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39371 on: September 21, 2019, 09:32:25 pm »
Blimey that was a good haul. I am moving to the US  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39372 on: September 21, 2019, 09:36:04 pm »
...How many of you guys buy stuff you don't need just because of its integral beauty?

Each. And Every. One of us.

mnem

One of us! One of us! One of us! One of us! One of us!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 09:44:13 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: worsthorse

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #39373 on: September 21, 2019, 09:37:00 pm »
So I hit up hamfest this weekend....and well, here's a list of the damage.  :-DD Pics to come as I recuperate and get things organized.

Tek Type 204 Scope-Mobile (already got the 7904A mounted on it)
Tek P6015 HV probe
Tek P6042 current probe
Tek 7A13
Tek 7A11
Tek calibration fixture
HP 5385A counter (perfect size to perch on top of the 7904A to use on the SIG OUT!)

Last (but not TEA) is an ICOM HD51A plus DSTAR capable HT.

And that's my TEA purchasing budget for a while!  :-DD  :palm:

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: med6753, bd139, 0culus

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #39374 on: September 21, 2019, 09:41:08 pm »
Remember that beauty is on the inside of all things...

Very true.  :-+  Does this count for the specs as well?  ;)

This is the heart of the 3458A (the ADC module) coming from TiN's website:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf