Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14554671 times)

Wolfgang, BrianInTexas and 28 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #39400 on: September 22, 2019, 01:16:38 am »
   That's been obviously designed by idiots just look at those right angle tracks.
There’s a bucket in the bottom of the unit to collect the electrons that came off the road.

mnem
 >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #39401 on: September 22, 2019, 01:19:24 am »
A tribute to bitseeker -  

I read somewhere that Dave had to upgrade from the Apple IIc the forums run on just because of this thread... So what, a PowerPC Macbook now...?

mnem
*Agitating-ily*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #39402 on: September 22, 2019, 01:24:49 am »
I read somewhere that Dave had to upgrade from the Apple IIc the forums run on just because of this thread... So what, a PowerPC Macbook now...?

Tee hee hee.

I made that because I thought he'd get a kick out of it but he seems to be M.I.A. recently.

Bitseeker where are you?  :-//
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #39403 on: September 22, 2019, 01:39:37 am »
HP 3400A RMS Voltmeter for $49.99 buy it now, if you've ever wanted one (I already have one).

eBay auction: #163872323546

Damn you!  :-DD Right after hamfest too.  :palm:

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39404 on: September 22, 2019, 01:42:51 am »

Damn you!  :-DD Right after hamfest too.  :palm:

It says -

Beats trending price

:popcorn:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39405 on: September 22, 2019, 02:04:45 am »
I might have to....it looks great and it will look great sitting next to my 432A power meter and 427A voltmeter.  :palm:

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #39406 on: September 22, 2019, 02:07:54 am »
I might have to....it looks great and it will look great sitting next to my 432A power meter and 427A voltmeter.  :palm:

Resistance is futile.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #39407 on: September 22, 2019, 02:08:51 am »
Only $30 USD shipping to Oz @ Brumby  :-DD I don't 'need it' and don't have the $ to buy it so it could be yours.....
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39408 on: September 22, 2019, 02:13:48 am »

Resistance is futile.

Yep. I just bought it.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, kj7e, beanflying, Kosmic

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #39409 on: September 22, 2019, 02:22:05 am »

I have the upmost respect for him and he is sorely missed but if my bench looked like that I'd be rolling on the floor with seizures and foaming at the mouth.  :scared: :scared: :-DD 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: kj7e

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39410 on: September 22, 2019, 02:27:57 am »
Yep. I just bought it.  :-DD

My work here is done.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #39411 on: September 22, 2019, 02:35:42 am »
   That's been obviously designed by idiots just look at those right angle tracks.
There’s a bucket in the bottom of the unit to collect the electrons that came off the road.

(Attachment Link)

mnem
 >:D

I wonder why early (1950's) B/W TV CRT's required an Ion trap but later TV CRT's did not?  :-// And it was important that the Ion trap be properly placed or it would damage the CRT.

Edit....got an answer. The introduction of "aluminized" CRT faces in 1958 eliminated the need for an ion trap. 
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 02:41:42 am by med6753 »

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #39412 on: September 22, 2019, 04:56:42 am »
Nicely done, Ero-Shan.  But be forewarned - a 5245L was the gateway drug for my current nixie addiction.   >:D  You got a good deal on that, and the packing job is a good testament to the robustness of HP instrumentation of that era.

Low power consumption and light weight seem humorous from a modern perspective, but compared to its contemporaries that were loaded with vacuum tubes, it was very impressive.

Of course! I'm pretty sure this shows the pride that they achieved this with the (still) new-fangled transistors.

Now that's a real beast! Sheer beauty, except for the protruding display.

Enjoy your newfound addiction!!!

Huh? There's nothing newfound to it.While I'm not in the same league as you and nixiefreqq, this is already my seventh Nixie counter. But I like other displays also.  ;D

Now looking for a 523C.

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #39413 on: September 22, 2019, 05:06:38 am »
After a period of dearth on evilbay, I finally found something that piqued my interest. Amazingly, there was a Nixie counter for a moderate initial price, and not a single bidder.

Did I not see anything that all others saw clearly? Something that escaped my eyes? Did everyone know just know how bad this counter was but me? The manuals are there prominently at the usual places, so there was no holding back.

I actually stayed the only one interested, and so acquired my first hp 5254L (with 5253B converter) for 50 bucks + 10 shipping.

Nice find, that wasn't easy to find for some reason, I just had a look for it but had to use a third party site to find it on ePay, no idea why.  :-//

Strange. It appeared with my regular search term (which also shows me 95 % shite I'm not interested in).

It looks early too with the two clamps for the plug-in, shame you had to fit that awful IEC connector, some original leads are badly listed in the Handys catagory;
https://www.ebay.de/itm/HP-Netzkabel/222745856688?hash=item33dcb00ab0:g:FvIAAOSwHNxaKANp

25 €, that's half the price of the counter. For a while I was thinking of asking a colleague with a 3D printer to print me one; I have matching contacts. But then I thought 'how hard can it be?'
I don't consider the IEC connector as awful. The original and my lousy replacement job are awful.  ;)

You could swap the broken timebase knob with one of those on the back.

David
That's what I did.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39414 on: September 22, 2019, 05:06:47 am »
Nicely done, Ero-Shan.  But be forewarned - a 5245L was the gateway drug for my current nixie addiction.   >:D  You got a good deal on that, and the packing job is a good testament to the robustness of HP instrumentation of that era.

Low power consumption and light weight seem humorous from a modern perspective, but compared to its contemporaries that were loaded with vacuum tubes, it was very impressive.

Enjoy your newfound addiction!!!

-Pat

That's a lab heater on the level of a Tek 555. Nice.  :-+

Offline Johnboy

• Regular Contributor

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #39416 on: September 22, 2019, 05:28:13 am »
@ero-shan, re the 5245L, good unit! Think about the number of courier's toes that unit broke on its way to you! Revenge taken by the TE! (HiHi)
I am sure you are aware but the crystal oven remains on if the unit is plugged into the mains, mine had a burnt out x-tal heater and transformer. There is a post with pics on the forum about it somewhere.
Lots of lovely plugins to acquire - be a bit careful - check out the serial number of your unit, some changes occurred during its run, some plugins only suitable after either a mod or a after a certain serial number.
Rob

In this case the couriers were the victims. The seller should have suffered. >:D

Yes, I know the oven is always powered (draws about 12 watts, according to my meter). I do not leave my gear powered, however (my electricity bill is high enough already). Except the GPSDO, which also serves the time to my alarm clock.

It never appeared to me to buy more plug-in units. But thanks for the warning - 402 seems to be a pretty early model.

The following users thanked this post: VK5RC

Online Mortymore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #39417 on: September 22, 2019, 09:02:14 am »

I have the upmost respect for him and he is sorely missed but if my bench looked like that I'd be rolling on the floor with seizures and foaming at the mouth.  :scared: :scared: :-DD

It was told that Jim Williams had is desk like that so that no one could understand in what he was working on.
EDIT: If recall correctly, he didn't have an email. He attended people by phone-call or personally. So, many qualified personal, students, engineers from other companies...  must have entered his office. The mess was also a diversion.

Jim Williams was no alone... take a look at his friend desk, Bob Pease.

PS: If it makes sense... those two were one of a kind

« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 09:18:34 am by Mortymore »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #39418 on: September 22, 2019, 09:36:23 am »
There's an older woman in our town who drives a green Toyota Corolla and other than the driver's seat the entire interior is completely filled with food wrappers, newspapers, etc. So much crap that the car bottoms on the suspension. In addition the interior must smell delightful. She's a crazy fucked up in the head hoarder. What does that make Bob Pease?  :-// 

Online Mortymore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #39419 on: September 22, 2019, 11:06:45 am »
There's an older woman in our town who drives a green Toyota Corolla and other than the driver's seat the entire interior is completely filled with food wrappers, newspapers, etc. So much crap that the car bottoms on the suspension. In addition the interior must smell delightful. She's a crazy fucked up in the head hoarder. What does that make Bob Pease?  :-//

RIP

Don't know if the fact that Bob Pease died in a car accident in his 60's Beetle after attended the Jim Williams memorial, had something to do with the conservation state of his vehicle.  :-//
(once again, If I recall the facts correctly)

PS: found a bit of history about him in the Autodesk website.

"There was a method to Bob’s madness that I think some of us will never understand. "
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 11:40:01 am by Mortymore »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39420 on: September 22, 2019, 11:15:22 am »
Yep. AFAIK he suffered a heart attack or stroke and crashed off the road. He suffered badly from diabetes as well which at the age of 70 tends to screw you right up.

Edit: Even if it was a passing thing, a 1969 VW beetle crash is not something you walk away from. I remember passing once in the 80's on a family holiday down the A303. There were bits of car and person all over the road. I will never forget that sight  :--. One reason I drive a Euro NCAP 5 star vehicle with all the safety gubbins and drive it sensibly and defensively.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 11:18:05 am by bd139 »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #39421 on: September 22, 2019, 11:22:22 am »
Yep. AFAIK he suffered a heart attack or stroke and crashed off the road. He suffered badly from diabetes as well which at the age of 70 tends to screw you right up.

Exactly why I try my damnest to eat right and keep the diabetes under control. In fact, this Wed is every 6 month doc visit and blood work.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39422 on: September 22, 2019, 11:27:30 am »
Yeah please do that. I've seen the outcomes before and it's not pretty. 99% of the bad cases of diabetes are because people just didn't bother to do anything about it. Bear in mind they shovel you full of metformin and look after you nicely here, for £0, a lot of people see that as a license to "metformin away" the large bottle of coke they just necked  :palm:.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #39423 on: September 22, 2019, 11:55:54 am »
Yeah please do that. I've seen the outcomes before and it's not pretty. 99% of the bad cases of diabetes are because people just didn't bother to do anything about it. Bear in mind they shovel you full of metformin and look after you nicely here, for £0, a lot of people see that as a license to "metformin away" the large bottle of coke they just necked  :palm:.

I'm on metformin.....2000mg/day and it's working, as long as you adhere to a low carb diet. Since I retired my weight did creep up a bit as well as the A1C but not drastically. I attribute that to less exercise but I am considering going for daily walks which should help.

The LAST thing I want to do is go on the insulin needle.  :scared:

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39424 on: September 22, 2019, 12:01:00 pm »

They do say that an untidy bench is the sign of a genius and that he most certainly was so maybe there was something in the saying after all  :-DD :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf