Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14553021 times)

ch_scr, Qw3rtzuiop and 25 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #39450 on: September 22, 2019, 06:52:06 pm »
Yeah incredibly busy and distracted. I had the reminder pop up on my phone "auction ends in 14m" but between then and it finishing I put out about three child related fires  :-DD. I'm basically a full time single parent for three as well as a full time IT contractor at the moment  :--

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #39451 on: September 22, 2019, 07:03:33 pm »
my bids come from the PC, the software is "Bietomat".
It give it in the last second of auction, also when I am at work or sleeping.

My current source ist last calibratet many years ago, it have to go by a voltnut to become again trustful.
A Keithley 263
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 07:06:08 pm by Martin.M »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #39452 on: September 22, 2019, 07:49:09 pm »
Another ugly Fluke beige case painted. This time the 7260A Counter. This was a complex job involving complete tear down, removal of shields, and lots of masking tape. But it's done and looking good. Left to do are 8010A and 8050A.

Since I had it apart I permanently removed the battery power supply which was already disconnected and no batteries were installed. It will go into parts bin. It has a lot of interesting stuff on it.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: factory, Kosmic

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #39453 on: September 22, 2019, 07:52:03 pm »
great work.

So you can explain me what is wrong with the headbumping little printer 2030A ?  :)

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/fluke-2030a-little-printer-problem/   |O

The following users thanked this post: med6753

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39454 on: September 22, 2019, 07:53:05 pm »
That looks rather good actually.

Makes me think of this

:-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #39455 on: September 22, 2019, 07:54:56 pm »
great work.

So you can explain me what is wrong with the headbumping little printer 2030A ?  :)

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/fluke-2030a-little-printer-problem/   |O

Sorry Martin, can't help. I've never even seen one of those printers.

Online Mortymore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #39456 on: September 22, 2019, 08:00:45 pm »
Another ugly Fluke beige case painted. ...

With that blue cover, now it's a "FlukeTronix"  :-DD

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39457 on: September 22, 2019, 08:04:20 pm »
Another ugly Fluke beige case painted. This time the 7260A Counter.

That looks very nice, how good is the paint at staying on?

David

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #39458 on: September 22, 2019, 08:04:25 pm »
That looks rather good actually.

Makes me think of this

:-DD

Oh hell no. This is much better.  :-+

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #39459 on: September 22, 2019, 08:06:18 pm »
Another ugly Fluke beige case painted. This time the 7260A Counter.

That looks very nice, how good is the paint at staying on?

David

So far there have been no issues with peeling, etc on any of the equipment I painted. Now obviously if you bang them around it will damage the paint. But my stuff tends to stay in place.

Online nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39460 on: September 22, 2019, 08:07:12 pm »

I have the upmost respect for him and he is sorely missed but if my bench looked like that I'd be rolling on the floor with seizures and foaming at the mouth.  :scared: :scared: :-DD

I met Jim Williams on a Linear Technology application seminar tour in the UK* some time in 1993 & we got to talk briefly. He also signed my copy of 'Analog Circuit Design' which I had taken along just in case ;). At the start of 1995, his famous 'home lab' article appeared in EDN. The accompanying pictures show a scene of anything but chaos, so maybe the famous messy bench was more a work thing!

At the time, I had just moved into the house I am still currently living in, and was setting up my very first permanent home lab in a dedicated room of its own. I wrote to Jim describing my adventures setting up my lab & mending broken test gear, and how instructive it was to figure out how the guys at HP & Tek solved their design problems. I also asked for help tracking down some the special cable used in the Tektronix P6042 current probe, as mine had become flakey. Within a week or two I had a handwritten reply, providing the contact address of an ex-Tek technician who had a squirrel hoard of cable, and also enclosing a copy of a marked-up typescript of what became Chapter 1 'The Importance of Fixing' in 'The Art and Science of Analog Circuit Design', published later that year. So I go a sneak preview - as well as being able to fix my probe.**

*Memorably, Jim started off the second half of the session with the phrase 'During the coffee break, I learned what chopper means in British English slang...'

**Broken again now - at least it was last time I tried using it. I must get round to fixing it sometime!

The following users thanked this post: TiN, mnementh, Mortymore, Kosmic

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #39461 on: September 22, 2019, 08:08:08 pm »

« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 08:10:00 pm by Martin.M »

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39462 on: September 22, 2019, 08:19:12 pm »
I wasn't looking for another scope but this appeared yesterday, it looked complete, nice condition and in working order. I put in an offer then got a counteroffer of £60, I resisted for about half an hour but failed and ending up buying it.

David

The following users thanked this post: med6753, nixiefreqq, Kosmic

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39463 on: September 22, 2019, 08:23:16 pm »
have never been to med's home town.

but others must be thinkin' this too?

free range primate

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #39464 on: September 22, 2019, 08:28:20 pm »
Got the lab cart all set up, med style.  :-DD

It's super handy to finally only have one of my two 7000 mainframes on the bench.

The following users thanked this post: med6753, bd139, factory, Kosmic

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #39465 on: September 22, 2019, 08:41:56 pm »

I met Jim Williams on a Linear Technology application seminar tour in the UK* some time in 1993 & we got to talk briefly. He also signed my copy of 'Analog Circuit Design' which I had taken along just in case ;). At the start of 1995, his famous 'home lab' article appeared in EDN. The accompanying pictures show a scene of anything but chaos, so maybe the famous messy bench was more a work thing!

At the time, I had just moved into the house I am still currently living in, and was setting up my very first permanent home lab in a dedicated room of its own. I wrote to Jim describing my adventures setting up my lab & mending broken test gear, and how instructive it was to figure out how the guys at HP & Tek solved their design problems. I also asked for help tracking down some the special cable used in the Tektronix P6042 current probe, as mine had become flakey. Within a week or two I had a handwritten reply, providing the contact address of an ex-Tek technician who had a squirrel hoard of cable, and also enclosing a copy of a marked-up typescript of what became Chapter 1 'The Importance of Fixing' in 'The Art and Science of Analog Circuit Design', published later that year. So I go a sneak preview - as well as being able to fix my probe.**

*Memorably, Jim started off the second half of the session with the phrase 'During the coffee break, I learned what chopper means in British English slang...'

**Broken again now - at least it was last time I tried using it. I must get round to fixing it sometime!

Would that ex-Tek technician be Dean Kidd by any chance?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #39466 on: September 22, 2019, 08:42:30 pm »

It's super handy to finally only have one of my two 7000 mainframes on the bench.

Good boy!  :-+ :-DD

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #39467 on: September 22, 2019, 08:43:23 pm »
have never been to med's home town.

but others must be thinkin' this too?

Oh shit......LMAO.  :-DD :-DD :-DD

Online nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39468 on: September 22, 2019, 08:47:15 pm »

Deane Kidd? - Yes!

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #39469 on: September 22, 2019, 09:01:25 pm »

Good boy!  :-+ :-DD

Impressive ! I had to sell my 7104 after the need for an MSO came up.
I still miss the roaring sound of its fan and the free heating of my lab :)

Sniff. The good die young, I'm old.  >:D

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39470 on: September 22, 2019, 09:02:00 pm »

Woo look really good. Think I want a cart now  :)

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #39471 on: September 22, 2019, 09:03:27 pm »

Deane Kidd? - Yes!

I kinda figured. He was known as "Mr Tektronix" and worked for them for about 40 years. He had an enormous stash of parts and manuals in his home. I had the pleasure of corresponding with him via snail mail sometime around 1992 long after he had retired. He was most gracious and helped me by giving me an original manual for a Tek 561S at no charge. Unfortunately he passed away in 2015.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39472 on: September 22, 2019, 09:07:39 pm »

Look like a thermometer mating with a printer  :-DD
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 09:09:54 pm by Kosmic »

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39473 on: September 22, 2019, 09:17:31 pm »

Deane Kidd? - Yes!

I kinda figured. He was known as "Mr Tektronix" and worked for them for about 40 years. He had an enormous stash of parts and manuals in his home. I had the pleasure of corresponding with him via snail mail sometime around 1992 long after he had retired. He was most gracious and helped me by giving me an original manual for a Tek 561S at no charge. Unfortunately he passed away in 2015.

I wonder what they did with all the parts ? I was fixing a Tek SA sometimes ago, the attenuator was toasted. Was hoping to get some replacement parts from Deane (apparently he had some) and found out he passed away :(

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #39474 on: September 22, 2019, 09:28:31 pm »
My take on rebuilding the El Crappo 4-wire test leads is in the pics.

I'm not a certified ohms-nut, but I did a test using the clips with the hp 34401A. I cut a length of 14g solid copper wire so I could clamp on at a two foot length. The charts out there say this wire should have a resistance of 2.525 ohms/1000 feet @ 20C, giving 0.002525 ohms/ft. So for 2.0 ft. we have 0.00505 ohms. My room temp is 27 C so a little error.

After nulling the clips, I get 0.0061 ohms (the calc was 0.00505 ohms). According to my calculations for the % error for this reading and range 1 it's within the error tolerance.

Of course I could be wrong - I thought I was wrong once, but that turned out to be a mistake.  :-DD

1. From the manual ± (% of reading + % of range) +/- (0.0030% of reading + 0.0030% of range)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: bd139, Kosmic

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf