Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14549505 times)

ProtonFox, SashPlane, Gertjan, Wolfgang and 18 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #39475 on: September 22, 2019, 10:10:59 pm »
You should now notice that all the plug-ins have two matching holes for those latches, you will probably be looking for a 5243L or 5245L from 1962 to 1964.

Earlier in the week some unicorn poop arrived, a HP 5240A frequency meter, I'm still a little pissed off at the moment that one of the handles got busted off, will try and get some pictures on here tomorrow.

David

actually had noticed that the plug in's had a latch slot on both sides.  used to have an hp 5345 with a 10590 adapter and noticed at the time that its locking latch knob was on the right side.  always figured that was just because the lever latch for the adapter was on the left. 

a 5240?  wow.  have never seen one.

It's the first 5240A I've ever seen, inside it's mostly the contents of the 5260A frequency divider with an 8 digit 12.5MHz counter stuck to the top (probably based on the circuitry from similar counters such as the 5321 & 5216A).

It was packed in a large enough box, but unfortunately it was filled with the thousands of tiniest polystyrene balls I've ever seen, most of which had escaped out of the box (not enough tape used to close it), the useless balls allowed the heavy meter to move about during transit & were a PITA to contain after opening the box, there were holes created by both the front handles and the BNC adaptor/termination on the back.

A quick test to see if it still worked (after changing switch to 240V), picture is a bit crap, one more tube lit than in the sellers pictures, the half zeros were showing in the sellers pictures too.

More to follow with some inside pictures.

David

Ouch but it can be fixed https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hewlett-packard-740b-dc-standard-digital-voltmeter-(and-740a)/msg1427078/#msg1427078
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #39476 on: September 22, 2019, 11:04:21 pm »

I met Jim Williams on a Linear Technology application seminar tour in the UK* some time in 1993 & we got to talk briefly. He also signed my copy of 'Analog Circuit Design' which I had taken along just in case ;). At the start of 1995, his famous 'home lab' article appeared in EDN. The accompanying pictures show a scene of anything but chaos, so maybe the famous messy bench was more a work thing!

At the time, I had just moved into the house I am still currently living in, and was setting up my very first permanent home lab in a dedicated room of its own. I wrote to Jim describing my adventures setting up my lab & mending broken test gear, and how instructive it was to figure out how the guys at HP & Tek solved their design problems. I also asked for help tracking down some the special cable used in the Tektronix P6042 current probe, as mine had become flakey. Within a week or two I had a handwritten reply, providing the contact address of an ex-Tek technician who had a squirrel hoard of cable, and also enclosing a copy of a marked-up typescript of what became Chapter 1 'The Importance of Fixing' in 'The Art and Science of Analog Circuit Design', published later that year. So I go a sneak preview - as well as being able to fix my probe.**

*Memorably, Jim started off the second half of the session with the phrase 'During the coffee break, I learned what chopper means in British English slang...'

**Broken again now - at least it was last time I tried using it. I must get round to fixing it sometime!

Would that ex-Tek technician be Dean Kidd by any chance?

Deane Kidd? - Yes!

I kinda figured. He was known as "Mr Tektronix" and worked for them for about 40 years. He had an enormous stash of parts and manuals in his home. I had the pleasure of corresponding with him via snail mail sometime around 1992 long after he had retired. He was most gracious and helped me by giving me an original manual for a Tek 561S at no charge. Unfortunately he passed away in 2015.

I wonder what they did with all the parts ? I was fixing a Tek SA sometimes ago, the attenuator was toasted. Was hoping to get some replacement parts from Deane (apparently he had some) and found out he passed away :(

I had heard in the last few years before he died he was ill a few times as well as getting tired of all the requests he was getting. After all, he was in his mid 80's by that time. Now I had heard a rumor that after he died the family put a "lock" on all the stuff and beyond that I really don't know.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #39477 on: September 23, 2019, 12:45:54 am »
Yikes!  :o No thanks!  :scared: :scared: ;D

Aw, come on.  It's only a habanero. :popcorn:  Habanero salsa goes great on eggs in the morning.  Gets the blood flowing.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #39478 on: September 23, 2019, 01:18:41 am »
Gets the blood flowing.

... but at what temperature rise ...?   :o

Pass.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #39479 on: September 23, 2019, 01:22:07 am »

Hold up.... lemme feed the TEA monster....

[url=https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-2-HP-Keysight-3400A-Analog-RMS-Voltmeter-1mV-300V-full-scale/312735678162]https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-2-HP-Keysight-3400A-Analog-RMS-Voltmeter-1mV-300V-full-scale/312735678162
[/url]
Unknown condition... but two units for 50 US blood-oil backed promissory notes?

I'd be tempted - but the cost of shipping to Oz is the question.

Distinctly lacking in footwear  :--

Noticed that.  I can see myself caving to the desire for a 3D printer.

This could become expensive.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 01:24:44 am by Brumby »

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #39480 on: September 23, 2019, 01:41:11 am »
Just back... waaaay behind on the thread but I have a good excuse:

Wasn't a wifi or LTE signal within thirty miles of me.  :-+
specialization is for insects.

The following users thanked this post: TiN, xrunner, med6753, mnementh, beanflying, Kosmic, syau, 0culus

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #39481 on: September 23, 2019, 02:00:05 am »

Hold up.... lemme feed the TEA monster....

[url=https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-2-HP-Keysight-3400A-Analog-RMS-Voltmeter-1mV-300V-full-scale/312735678162]https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-2-HP-Keysight-3400A-Analog-RMS-Voltmeter-1mV-300V-full-scale/312735678162
[/url]
Unknown condition... but two units for 50 US blood-oil backed promissory notes?

I'd be tempted - but the cost of shipping to Oz is the question.

Distinctly lacking in footwear  :--

Noticed that.  I can see myself caving to the desire for a 3D printer.

There you go endering soon  :-DD eBay auction: #143384197830 Cathy who looks after their Australian account is a good chick.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #39482 on: September 23, 2019, 02:54:59 am »
Gets the blood flowing.

Pass.

See that's the problem. That shit burns going in and burns coming out!  :-DD

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39483 on: September 23, 2019, 02:56:54 am »
Another epicboring photo story from Ero-Shan.
Next day I realize that the IEC socket will not even fit in the available space. The voltage selector needs to move a millimeter down. And the holes from the old socket will not be hidden under the flange of the new. Don't ask how I made the opening ...  :palm:
After around 4 hours it was finally done. I thought I'd better not show you the horrible outcome, but remembering med's fan botch, I gave in. I'm fully aware that I might get tried for crimes against a HO instrument, likely with nixiefreqq as prosecutor.:

I cleaned up the counter the best I could, swapped the knackered knob with one from behind and also tried the frequency converter. This is 500 MHz (490 + 10):

I must say that I'm more than pleased with this counter. 60 € was a real steal, IMO.

Now I've wasted 2 hours writing this story. It'l take at least as long to catch up.

you are forgiven for your power connector bodge.  ruined a pristine 5325b that way myself 30 years ago.  was remorseful afterward and have never committed this immoral act again.  (you only get forgiveness once.  go forth and find some ph-163 cords and sin no more)

nice catch. be good to her.

ps  one possible source of those cords are telescope shops.  have an 8 inch celestron bought new in the late 70's that uses that connector/cord to power the clock drive)

Your story saved me. Mahalo!  So the 3400A sits on my bench  while I try to find a complete rear panel for it. Rivets.  |O  The weird rounded corner rectangle power socket.  |O  A modern socket won't fit without major metal work that is beyond my skill.  |O   

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39484 on: September 23, 2019, 03:06:38 am »

I met Jim Williams on a Linear Technology application seminar tour in the UK* some time in 1993 & we got to talk briefly. He also signed my copy of 'Analog Circuit Design' which I had taken along just in case ;). At the start of 1995, his famous 'home lab' article appeared in EDN. The accompanying pictures show a scene of anything but chaos, so maybe the famous messy bench was more a work thing!

At the time, I had just moved into the house I am still currently living in, and was setting up my very first permanent home lab in a dedicated room of its own. I wrote to Jim describing my adventures setting up my lab & mending broken test gear, and how instructive it was to figure out how the guys at HP & Tek solved their design problems. I also asked for help tracking down some the special cable used in the Tektronix P6042 current probe, as mine had become flakey. Within a week or two I had a handwritten reply, providing the contact address of an ex-Tek technician who had a squirrel hoard of cable, and also enclosing a copy of a marked-up typescript of what became Chapter 1 'The Importance of Fixing' in 'The Art and Science of Analog Circuit Design', published later that year. So I go a sneak preview - as well as being able to fix my probe.**

*Memorably, Jim started off the second half of the session with the phrase 'During the coffee break, I learned what chopper means in British English slang...'

**Broken again now - at least it was last time I tried using it. I must get round to fixing it sometime!

Would that ex-Tek technician be Dean Kidd by any chance?

That would have been my first guess, too.  ;D

Offline ArthurDent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39485 on: September 23, 2019, 03:27:57 am »

We have a similar (but smaller) mountain In New Hampshire that I took a photo of.

The following users thanked this post: worsthorse

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #39486 on: September 23, 2019, 03:28:36 am »

I bet you forgot to take a rod !  :horse:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39487 on: September 23, 2019, 03:37:22 am »

I bet you forgot to take a rod !  :horse:

Yes and I was thinking about that while I was watching the fish feed in the early evening. You should have seen the canyon river I drove along for most of the trip...  :-DD  I was up there provide communications support for an ultra marathon so not much time for much else this time out.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #39488 on: September 23, 2019, 03:47:12 am »
Grrrr, you need a good whipping with a rod !

Almost forgotten how to flycast such are the few opportunities I get these days to get away for a bit.  :(
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #39489 on: September 23, 2019, 04:34:03 am »
I'll be the summitch out there feeding them croutons for free. Last thing I wanna do is CATCH ONE... then I gotta gut it & scale it; that shit is for youngsters with something to prove. Fuxxor that noize. ;)

Another ugly Fluke beige case painted. ...
With that blue cover, now it's a "FlukeTronix"  :-DD
Was looking quite "death by nicotine" before... much better now, Painty Smurf.   :-DD

I am gonna be right there myself in a couple weeks or so, Ifni willing and the creek don't rise. ;)

mnem
 :=\
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #39490 on: September 23, 2019, 10:19:03 am »

i made a calibrator unit for  350.000 scovilles.

(Attachment Link)

Yum! Can I have some?  8)

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #39491 on: September 23, 2019, 10:32:49 am »

It's the first 5240A I've ever seen, inside it's mostly the contents of the 5260A frequency divider with an 8 digit 12.5MHz counter stuck to the top (probably based on the circuitry from similar counters such as the 5321 & 5216A).

It was packed in a large enough box, but unfortunately it was filled with the thousands of tiniest polystyrene balls I've ever seen, most of which had escaped out of the box (not enough tape used to close it), the useless balls allowed the heavy meter to move about during transit & were a PITA to contain after opening the box, there were holes created by both the front handles and the BNC adaptor/termination on the back.

Now that's bad! I was really lucky, in more than just one regard. As I said: Packaged goods must not be allowed to move in their packages!
(The tiny balls messing your lab are the icing on the cake, adding insult to injury.)

What a crying shame!

A quick test to see if it still worked (after changing switch to 240V), picture is a bit crap, one more tube lit than in the sellers pictures, the half zeros were showing in the sellers pictures too.

More to follow with some inside pictures.

David

And these half digits are exactly what I had seen on my 5245L on first try.Just re-seating all cards and connectors helped here.

Hope you get a refund.

The following users thanked this post: factory

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39492 on: September 23, 2019, 10:48:15 am »

I have the upmost respect for him and he is sorely missed but if my bench looked like that I'd be rolling on the floor with seizures and foaming at the mouth.  :scared: :scared: :-DD

I once had the idea of having an ESD mat printed with an image of a random mess of wires/components, so that I'd never have the motivation to tidy the desk... until I realised I'd also never find things on it either, even when it was tidy.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #39493 on: September 23, 2019, 12:32:43 pm »
Gets the blood flowing.

Pass.

See that's the problem. That shit burns going in and burns coming out!  :-DD

That has never been an issue, even when I tried ghost pepper chicken wings. I will admit though that they were a bit too hot for me.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #39494 on: September 23, 2019, 01:20:43 pm »
...  I can see myself caving to the desire for a 3D printer.

There you go endering soon  :-DD eBay auction: #143384197830 Cathy who looks after their Australian account is a good chick.

Is this enabling or entrapment?   :scared:

Offline FransW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #39495 on: September 23, 2019, 01:42:22 pm »
Entanglement
PE1CCN, Systems Engineering, HP, Philips, TEK, BRYMAN, Fluke, Keithley

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #39496 on: September 23, 2019, 01:42:40 pm »
Let the games begin. Good 485 on the left. Bad 485 with trigger issue on the right. Schematic up on the laptop. 7904/7260A on far left as the investigator. May the best man win.  :-DD

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Addicted2AnalogTek, Neomys Sapiens, bd139

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #39497 on: September 23, 2019, 01:46:21 pm »
Entanglement

Yep ... It's definitely that (at the very least).

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #39498 on: September 23, 2019, 02:05:48 pm »

Is this enabling or entrapment?   :scared:

3DP? No, definitely more of a Stockholm Syndrome relationship there...  :-DD

I'm looking at the Ender 5 right now: eBay auction: #143187624131 80/20 extrusion frame, archetype Cartesian and only $300... for that money, could actually make me forgive the smallish build volume...  :o

mnem
*Off to get new glasses*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #39499 on: September 23, 2019, 02:11:33 pm »

Here let me help ...  :-DD

Printing a case for the NanoVNA this morning (might be delivered this week).

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf