Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14555056 times)

Vince, Aiy, wkb and 22 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #39500 on: September 23, 2019, 02:13:14 pm »
Will everyone stop it with the 3DP stuff. I've got a fat chunk of cash burning a hole in my pocket from "crap clearout", a footless scope and the requirement to make some custom parts. I'm trying not to solve it that was as I'm stuffed for time on everything already :-DD

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Specmaster

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #39501 on: September 23, 2019, 02:22:25 pm »
Will everyone stop it with the 3DP stuff. I've got a fat chunk of cash burning a hole in my pocket from "crap clearout", a footless scope and the requirement to make some custom parts. I'm trying not to solve it that was as I'm stuffed for time on everything already :-DD

We're your friends. We care about you. We're only trying to make your life more enjoyable and fun.

Now if you need more enabling we're here - I should think by the end of the week we can have this all straightened out.  :popcorn:

Damn he's enabling me now and I don't even need it. Enabling an enabler? Is that even possible?

I'm looking at the Ender 5 right now: eBay auction: #143187624131 80/20 extrusion frame, archetype Cartesian and only $300... for that money, could actually make me forgive the smallish build volume...  :o

mnem
*Off to get new glasses*
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 02:25:51 pm by xrunner »
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #39502 on: September 23, 2019, 02:53:15 pm »

Look like a thermometer mating with a printer  :-DD

VNT   (Voltnuts Thermometer)

the little printer put out  a time stamp and the temperature from the 2190.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39503 on: September 23, 2019, 02:55:09 pm »

We're your friends. We care about you. We're only trying to make your life more enjoyable and fun.

Now if you need more enabling we're here - I should think by the end of the week we can have this all straightened out.  :popcorn:

Damn he's enabling me now and I don't even need it. Enabling an enabler? Is that even possible?

I'm looking at the Ender 5 right now: eBay auction: #143187624131 80/20 extrusion frame, archetype Cartesian and only $300... for that money, could actually make me forgive the smallish build volume...  :o

mnem
*Off to get new glasses*

I've fixed myself. 300 quid, several hours of fannying around for some parts isn't an investment I want to make at the moment. Plus I literally have nowhere to put the thing other than the coffee table and that might be frowned upon  :-DD

Someone did offer me a new Peak LCR45 for £79 on ebay though after I have been watching it for a couple of days though. That's possibly justifiable.

Edit: while I'm here, can anyone recommend some 3d cad software that is cheap/free and doesn't suck monkey balls. My only current experience is SolidWorks, ME10 and AutoCad approximately 18 years ago  :-DD

Edit 2: also to mention, one reason I want to avoid this is I'd end up just making stuff like this all day https://makezine.com/2015/07/14/3d-printed-giant-miniature-walking-robot-tank/  :-DD
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 03:01:29 pm by bd139 »

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #39504 on: September 23, 2019, 03:06:32 pm »

Possible...?

I thought the answer was patently obvious ... by just looking through this thread: Yes!.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #39505 on: September 23, 2019, 03:24:30 pm »
Pix 1: Good pulse.     Pix 2: Bad pulse.  I suspect I have an open terminating resistor. Going back in.....

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #39506 on: September 23, 2019, 03:50:46 pm »
snippity......snip

I've fixed myself. 300 quid, several hours of fannying around for some parts isn't an investment I want to make at the moment. Plus I literally have nowhere to put the thing other than the coffee table and that might be frowned upon  :-DD

Someone did offer me a new Peak LCR45 for £79 on ebay though after I have been watching it for a couple of days though. That's possibly justifiable.

Edit: while I'm here, can anyone recommend some 3d cad software that is cheap/free and doesn't suck monkey balls. My only current experience is SolidWorks, ME10 and AutoCad approximately 18 years ago  :-DD

Edit 2: also to mention, one reason I want to avoid this is I'd end up just making stuff like this all day https://makezine.com/2015/07/14/3d-printed-giant-miniature-walking-robot-tank/  :-DD

Fusion 360 is a bit of a no brainer and it is free and gaining more power and usability steadily. Buy the printer 'for the kids'  >:D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39507 on: September 23, 2019, 04:07:48 pm »
I forgot to mention the canonical rules of product selection: no Oracle, no Autodesk. Anything else?  :-DD

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #39508 on: September 23, 2019, 04:07:53 pm »

I bought an entry level ender 3DP about a month ago when there was a deal on them. 130USD shipped. It is sitting in the box until I figure out where to set it up. My wife is as interested in seeing what it can do (she teaches japanese flower arranging and is always looking for ways to "fixture" arrangements) as I am. If it works out there's lots of simple, useful things I can make with it.

Oh wait, I was supposed to discourage you. Um, sorry.   >:D
specialization is for insects.

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39509 on: September 23, 2019, 04:21:35 pm »

Look like a thermometer mating with a printer  :-DD

VNT   (Voltnuts Thermometer)

the little printer put out  a time stamp and the temperature from the 2190.

Interesting specs, but never liked that case design from fluke  ^-^

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #39510 on: September 23, 2019, 04:24:06 pm »
Finally, snagged the fail. CR772 Tunnel Diode is NFG. Resistance check should read about 5.6 ohms. This one is reading 23 ohms. I verified that with all 5 of the other tunnel diodes between both scopes. This one is FUBAR.

Shit, now starts the search for the unicorn rainbow farts. I guess I'll check normal sources first and then look at the Russian equivalent list and see if that P/N diode cross references.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39511 on: September 23, 2019, 04:25:40 pm »
I've got some here if you need 'em. FOC. Actual Tek ones!

Edit: these. Got two matched pairs and some more somewhere in another IC box.

Edit: now I've read it, they are http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/1N3717 ... not sure if those are suitable or not.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 04:31:46 pm by bd139 »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #39512 on: September 23, 2019, 04:30:34 pm »
I've got some here if you need 'em. FOC. Actual Tek ones!

Edit: these. Got two matched pairs and some more somewhere in another IC box.

Lemme check to P/N. I know they are not the same as in the 465/465B. Be back in a few minutes.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39513 on: September 23, 2019, 04:33:27 pm »
Yeah see edit earlier - mine are all 1N3717. No good. Sorry  :--

Need 10mA 4.7pF. Higher current lower capacitance :(

Edit: holy crap they have got expensive as well  :scared:
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 04:35:46 pm by bd139 »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #39514 on: September 23, 2019, 04:34:16 pm »
CR772 is Tek P/N 152-0177-00.  10mA, 4pf.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #39515 on: September 23, 2019, 04:35:08 pm »
Yep, NG...thanks for checking.  :-+

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #39516 on: September 23, 2019, 04:41:10 pm »
Buy the printer 'for the kids'  >:D

Good work beanflying. Never give up on a tough subject.  :-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #39517 on: September 23, 2019, 04:41:27 pm »
Finally, snagged the fail. CR772 Tunnel Diode is NFG. Resistance check should read about 5.6 ohms. This one is reading 23 ohms. I verified that with all 5 of the other tunnel diodes between both scopes. This one is FUBAR.

Shit, now starts the search for the unicorn rainbow farts. I guess I'll check normal sources first and then look at the Russian equivalent list and see if that P/N diode cross references.

ISTR statements to the effect that it is prudent to be careful when using a standard diode tester on a tunnel diode. I haven't considered the physics, but the "foldback" mechanism might encourage excessive current.

Apart from that:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tektronix-485-diverse-Platinen/254367059209
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Five-Tektronix-152-0177-00-10mA-Tunnel-Diodes/283622200856?hash=item4209335618:g:PfcAAOSwBRFc~ZQT
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 04:43:03 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39518 on: September 23, 2019, 04:47:10 pm »
They are pretty robust at low voltages. I tend to test them with an "octopus" i.e. 6V ac transformer and a series resistor.

Offline FransW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #39519 on: September 23, 2019, 04:48:49 pm »

It is a delicate balance: + money, - money, + equipment and - equipment.
Time will tell which one dominates.

mnem
*Off to get new glasses*
PE1CCN, Systems Engineering, HP, Philips, TEK, BRYMAN, Fluke, Keithley

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #39520 on: September 23, 2019, 04:51:56 pm »

ISTR statements to the effect that it is prudent to be careful when using a standard diode tester on a tunnel diode. I haven't considered the physics, but the "foldback" mechanism might encourage excessive current.

Apart from that:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Five-Tektronix-152-0177-00-10mA-Tunnel-Diodes/283622200856?hash=item4209335618:g:PfcAAOSwBRFc~ZQT

I used standard resistance test, not diode test. I also pulled one end to verify. It continues to read much higher than the others. I can only assume it's no good. And thanks for the links.

Offline FransW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #39521 on: September 23, 2019, 04:52:05 pm »
It is a delicate balance: + money, - money, + equipment - equipment.

Only time will tell what the ultimate succes will be.
Probably "0" money and "?" (working?) equipment
PE1CCN, Systems Engineering, HP, Philips, TEK, BRYMAN, Fluke, Keithley

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #39522 on: September 23, 2019, 04:55:38 pm »
I bought one. $30 plus $3.66 shipping plus tax. They are located in NY so should get it quick.

Yea....NOT CHEAP.  :scared:

Edit...that was quick, being shipped.  :-+

Double edit...the Tek Type 114 is also being shipped. But that's coming from Los Angeles via FedEx ground and those guys are slower than the pony express.  :palm:
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 06:15:00 pm by med6753 »

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #39523 on: September 23, 2019, 05:05:11 pm »

Apart from that:

I used standard resistance test, not diode test. I also pulled one end to verify. It continues to read much higher than the others. I can only assume it's no good. And thanks for the links.

It could also happen with a resistance test, depending on the max "available" voltage. Comparative testing is useful, of course.

I would have considered swapping CR1052 or CD1062 from the B trigger circuit, to see if it works.

I'd also carefullt test/examine the surrounding components, to verify their failure hasn't buggered the TD.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: InductorbackEMF

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39524 on: September 23, 2019, 06:54:29 pm »
Ok so after much research, I just ordered a Peak LCR45 and not a 3d printer. Well not yet anyway!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf