Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14550254 times)

McBryce, Jambalaya, factory, Vince and 29 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #41400 on: October 18, 2019, 03:03:45 am »
Houses are overrated anyway...given enough test equipment you ought to be able to build a serviceable shelter.  >:D  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #41401 on: October 18, 2019, 03:08:22 am »
Hi all,

I'm new here so I'm hoping this is a good place to put this, and if it's not just tell at me and I'll go wherever you say.

I've built a small collection of boat anchors over the last few years, including a Tek 7603, a Tek 576 curve tracer, a couple Fluke HV power supplies, some electrochemistry kit (worth tearing down for the precision multiturn pots if nothing else), and a whole bunch of other stuff (see photos).

Unfortunately for my budding collection, I'm moving into an apartment and can't take it with me, so I'm looking for a good home to give it to. I tried Brisbane Hackerspace but they don't seem to answer their emails at the moment. I can't vouch for any of it, so it's probably better to go to someone who has some boat anchors of their own (I know the Tek 7603 works but the readout doesn't, and I suspect the Tek 576 has bad caps; the TM500 was damaged in transit so some of it is probably okay and some of it is only good for parts). Is there anyone near the Brisbane north-side that wants to save this stuff from the scrap heap? Or alternatively, anyone have any suggestions for what to do with it? I'm not interested in selling it, I'd rather just load it all into the back of someone's truck and sleep knowing it hasn't been smashed up for copper :-\.

Photos: https://imgur.com/a/OtyQrhA (not sure why it asks if you're 18+)

Welcome to the nuthouse; this is definitely the place for your madness. A shame you have to part with the collection; having been in just this situation (currently in transit) myself, I feel your pain viscerally.

I know we have several fellow Ozzies here; hopefully you can make a connection!

mnem
*steps back lest he be trampled by the thundering hordes*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #41402 on: October 18, 2019, 03:23:00 am »

mnem

There have been a couple of members who have mentioned a Brisbane locale - but for me it would be over 10 hours of driving - each way!  For Beanflying, it would be over 20!

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #41403 on: October 18, 2019, 03:23:41 am »
If you had your own airplane, you'd be set.  :-+

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #41404 on: October 18, 2019, 03:25:42 am »
Sorry.  If I was to have my own aeroplane, I doubt it would be a C130.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41405 on: October 18, 2019, 03:38:25 am »
Or stick arouind and let us assist you with a mental shoehorn so you can fit your collection into an Apartment like @med has  >:D
Yeah...  I mean, you can always raise your bed a bit for a little extra storage space underneath - or put one in the lounge room with a cushion on top and call it a pouffe.  Two of the same height with a plank of wood across the top makes for a sturdy coffee table.

Channel your inner MacGyver.

;D

856862-0   Yeah... bedframes with metal or wooden slats like these are cheap ($100-ish), and they do away with the useless box-spring or "foundation" to give you oodles... just oodles of storage space underneath. I kept 6 55L storage tubs under each of the kids' double-size mattress beds with these frames.  :-+

mnem
"Very helpful... very helpful indeed..." Chibila thought to himself...
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 03:40:24 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41406 on: October 18, 2019, 03:44:07 am »

mnem
There have been a couple of members who have mentioned a Brisbane locale - but for me it would be over 10 hours of driving - each way!  For Beanflying, it would be over 20!

Oi! Condolances, mate!  ;) And you too, bean!  >:D

mnem
*toddles off to ded* :=\

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #41407 on: October 18, 2019, 03:53:08 am »
Hi all,

I'm new here so I'm hoping this is a good place to put this, and if it's not just tell at me and I'll go wherever you say.

I've built a small collection of boat anchors over the last few years, including a Tek 7603, a Tek 576 curve tracer, a couple Fluke HV power supplies, some electrochemistry kit (worth tearing down for the precision multiturn pots if nothing else), and a whole bunch of other stuff (see photos).

Unfortunately for my budding collection, I'm moving into an apartment and can't take it with me, so I'm looking for a good home to give it to. I tried Brisbane Hackerspace but they don't seem to answer their emails at the moment. I can't vouch for any of it, so it's probably better to go to someone who has some boat anchors of their own (I know the Tek 7603 works but the readout doesn't, and I suspect the Tek 576 has bad caps; the TM500 was damaged in transit so some of it is probably okay and some of it is only good for parts). Is there anyone near the Brisbane north-side that wants to save this stuff from the scrap heap? Or alternatively, anyone have any suggestions for what to do with it? I'm not interested in selling it, I'd rather just load it all into the back of someone's truck and sleep knowing it hasn't been smashed up for copper :-\.

Photos: https://imgur.com/a/OtyQrhA (not sure why it asks if you're 18+)

So few posts and you posted here. If I was a few thousand km closer I would be around this afternoon  :-DD

If you drop a free to a good home preferably an open one in the for sale section some of the Brisbane locals might help out. As far as I know we don't have any Brisbane based locals as regulars here in this thread. Your other options might be see if there is a local Hamfest in the next month or two and offer it to that club to Auction off.

Or stick arouind and let us assist you with a mental shoehorn so you can fit your collection into an Apartment like @med has  >:D

OK, my ears were burning.  ;D Fanta......you CAN stuff 10 pounds of TEA in a 5 pound apartment.  :-DD

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Brumby, mnementh, beanflying, Kosmic

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #41408 on: October 18, 2019, 06:51:27 am »

Yeah...  I mean, you can always raise your bed a bit for a little extra storage space underneath - or put one in the lounge room with a cushion on top and call it a pouffe.  Two of the same height with a plank of wood across the top makes for a sturdy coffee table.

Raise it 6ft and put the workbench under it. Seriously. Did just that for my daughter's homework table.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41409 on: October 18, 2019, 06:56:45 am »
We thought about doing that with my kids but decided that they’re too “gravity challenged” to risk it. We’ve had more hospital trips than the average family I reckon  :palm:

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #41410 on: October 18, 2019, 07:03:31 am »
Just one of the benefits I reckon of growing up in the country as kids learn risk management early from the thrills and spills of just being kids.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41411 on: October 18, 2019, 07:46:42 am »
Not such a good situation here. The countryside here, despite the idyllic presentation, is a hive of criminality, backwardness and utter boredom. I couldn’t wait to get out into the city when I was a kid. Walking four miles to school the getting a detention because the school bus missed your stop because a driver had a heavy night on the crack pipe was the order of the day.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #41412 on: October 18, 2019, 07:47:46 am »
I slept in an upper bunk when I was a kid. Only fell out once. You learn quick.  :scared: :-DD

Online McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41413 on: October 18, 2019, 08:12:37 am »
I got one of those raised beds for my son too. His lego area is underneath it. He can be a bit clumsy on occassions, but what's the worst that could happen... Fall on his head and suddenly think that Perl script is a worthwhile language to learn? Or decide he wants to study marketing?... Oh.

Back in a minute, I'm off to saw the legs off that bed!

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, bd139, Black Phoenix

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #41414 on: October 18, 2019, 10:17:28 am »
Let's see how alert everyone is. What's wrong with this trace? The plug-ins used are the 7A24 50 ohm vertical and the 7B80 time base.

Answer later.......

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #41415 on: October 18, 2019, 10:28:32 am »
To Hard I plead rapidly reduced thinkiness....  ;)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41416 on: October 18, 2019, 10:29:28 am »
Ooo, ooo, is it the unexplained phase shift?

McBryce.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #41417 on: October 18, 2019, 10:37:57 am »
Wow, I'm surprised. The answer is RIGHT THERE.  |O

Online McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41418 on: October 18, 2019, 11:21:48 am »
Could you pass me that bottle please Beanflying...

McBryce.

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #41419 on: October 18, 2019, 11:28:04 am »
Sure it is the weekend after all  :)

See @med I am A Lert

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline EV

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aficionado
« Reply #41420 on: October 18, 2019, 11:41:53 am »
Let's see how alert everyone is. What's wrong with this trace? The plug-ins used are the 7A24 50 ohm vertical and the 7B80 time base.

1mV should be 100mV.
Or is there 500 ohm probe?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 11:43:51 am by EV »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #41421 on: October 18, 2019, 12:23:55 pm »

1mV should be 100mV.
Or is there 500 ohm probe?

You are correct. There's no 500 ohm probe. The read out for channel 2 is fubar. As stated it should be 100mV.

Suspect the contacts on the readout board are dirty. Pulled the board. Cleaned with 100% IPA then a touch of Deoxit.

Result? Fixed...

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41422 on: October 18, 2019, 12:44:58 pm »
And that concludes amother episode of "Living With Prehistoric Tektronix"... :-DD

mnem
Keep at least three; that way you SHOULD have one working unit to fix the others with."

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41423 on: October 18, 2019, 12:55:16 pm »
This shit is why I am done with old Teks  :-DD

Sooooo I spent all day so far chasing down Linux infrastructure problems caused by cheap humans! Fun fun fun.  :palm:. No TE for a few days as this is a big one :(

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #41424 on: October 18, 2019, 01:13:33 pm »
We thought about doing that with my kids but decided that they’re too “gravity challenged” to risk it. We’ve had more hospital trips than the average family I reckon  :palm:
Weren't yours teenage girls? Living with you? And you just called them fat? You're a brave man.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf