Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14555296 times)

Vince, Aiy, wkb and 24 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #42700 on: November 12, 2019, 09:59:32 am »
Wow, all from the same seller too, go on fill your boots but I'll stick with my TTi TG120, does exactly the same functions but gives me 20 times the headroom should I need it plus a symmetry control to correct any distortion.

On a similar note, my DG1022Z is superior in many ways than all of them, an RF signal generator, a counter, a couple of 3312A's and a couple of TTi units added together. But it lacks that immortal feeling of holding something entirely quantifiable, understandable and of indefinable quality in your hands.

How many you gonna get?  :-DD

It's more which one am I gonna get?  :-DD

Answer is one with the most shoes!

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42701 on: November 12, 2019, 10:42:03 am »
Wow, all from the same seller too, go on fill your boots but I'll stick with my TTi TG120, does exactly the same functions but gives me 20 times the headroom should I need it plus a symmetry control to correct any distortion.

On a similar note, my DG1022Z is superior in many ways than all of them, an RF signal generator, a counter, a couple of 3312A's and a couple of TTi units added together. But it lacks that immortal feeling of holding something entirely quantifiable, understandable and of indefinable quality in your hands.

How many you gonna get?  :-DD

Agreed, thats why my TTi is my goto function generator and my 25MHz digital, twin channel with counter is now left gathering dust, I just love being in full control without having to navigate through loads of nested menus, can't beat having a dedicated control for each function and its instant response. Otherwise I'd be joining you again in picking up one or two of these 3311A's  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #42702 on: November 12, 2019, 11:13:04 am »
Are some Tektronix fanboys here?

Found this in German ebay advertisements:

4 7A18
1 7A12
2 7A26
2 7B53A

for EUR 240.- (no delivery)

They have some issues (one input broken, PSU failing, damaged knobs etc.)
https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/tektronix-speicheroszilloskop-7633-konvolut/1252725898-168-3771

No afiliation with the seller, just stumbled over it.

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Tepe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #42703 on: November 12, 2019, 01:03:10 pm »
thats why my TTi is my goto function generator
I have a TG210 and a TG215. The only thing I don't really like about them is that the on-off switches are on the rear...

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42704 on: November 12, 2019, 01:04:11 pm »
And it is Nestlé.  :--

Yes, because of their ubiquity it's easy to forget that Nestlé is in corporate essence the Baby Eating Bishop of Bath and Wells Cardinal of Vaud. Still, what large conglomerate isn't nowadays in some form or another, but Nestlé does seem to be involved in more than its fair share of corporate callousness and malfeasance.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Kosmic

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42705 on: November 12, 2019, 01:07:41 pm »

That almost sounds as if you were picking its qualities to have the highest WAF XXYLAF.  >:D
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #42706 on: November 12, 2019, 01:32:19 pm »
Maybe this sums up my thoughts on Instunt so called Coffee as I sip the mornings third tasty Guatemalan  single origin >:D

Ever wondered why instant tastes so crap. Generally it is made from Robusta rather than Arabica and made from the cheapest rubbish of that even then.

We have a local roaster who produce a 100% Robusta they call "Scuro Napoli". It is highly drinkable and makes a wonderful crema.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #42707 on: November 12, 2019, 01:52:20 pm »
My main blend I roast runs a slug of a high end Indian Robusta but I treat it very differently. It gets roasted separately then put aside two weeks ahead of the rest of that blend to settle. Works to my tastebuds at least and the customers seems to like it.

Straight up when fresh it will put hairs on the inside of your chest  >:D

On TEA stuff (rather than coffee) I wonder if @Brumby would like to go out on the limb a bit further and provide his better half a chainsaw  :-DD eBay auction: #193201949768

« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 07:33:24 pm by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #42708 on: November 12, 2019, 02:48:34 pm »
Is the ebay link supposed to be for the 549?  :-//

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #42709 on: November 12, 2019, 03:34:10 pm »

Yea, someone had either too much, or too little, coffee.  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #42710 on: November 12, 2019, 04:33:40 pm »
Here it is: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tektronix-549-Storage-Oscilloscope/193201949768

@Brumby: Yooo're wellll-commmme!!!

mnem
 >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: beanflying

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42711 on: November 12, 2019, 05:19:49 pm »
This video shows that it flashes in DFU mode; this indicates it is STM32-based. Unless they're doing something REALLY stupid with it that requires burning several firmware fuses, the bootloader is stored in protected ROM and CANNOT be harmed. This means there has to be a way to recover it; you are not bricked permanently. Good luck, buddy. :-+

mnem
(Attachment Link)

Thanks @mnem.

At this point, I am completely over dealing with the blackboxness of the whole thing and have made enough dumb mistakes trying to figure it out, that I just need to set it aside and go to bed.  I will take another look at it tomorrow. My hypothesis is that I've managed to create a mismatch between the firmware version, the ucontroller, and the tool chain.

I hear ya. I had the same thing with a A95X family androidTV box; got the firmware from the MFR site, followed their instructions to the letter and still bricked it. However, any search for the damned thing OTHER THAN the MFR site resulted in a zillion hits for ads or reddit, etc. weapons-grade bloviation and testosterone hoseration with SNR of approx -120dB. It was like being gang-raped by 1000 Kodi fanbois when all I wanted was a fucking diagram.|O

I eventually sold it on FleaBay for 2/3 the cost of a new Roku; good riddance says I.

That said... I just picked up one of these at the thrift out of curiosity at all the crazy connectivity (Yes, that really is a flip-top lid with drop-in tray for 3.5in HDD  :o) and because it was CAD$10. And a little masochism, I think.  :palm: I had no idea it is tied to the ArabTVNetwork; however I'm sure that any watchlist I wasn't on before now has me flagged thanks to my search history looking for an English-language ROM that might work. |O  I'm just glad I haven't let it near any open network it can connect to.

I may just chunk the MB in my parts bin and use it as an awesome Pi enclosure.

mnem
*glerp*
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 11:17:08 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42712 on: November 12, 2019, 05:50:20 pm »
Here it is: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tektronix-549-Storage-Oscilloscope/193201949768

mnem
Wow, thats a big arsed fan on that beast. >:D
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #42713 on: November 12, 2019, 07:26:23 pm »
Is that stuff any good?  I see silly commercials on this side of the pond and wonder.  I am not a serious coffee drinker (sorry, bean) as life is too crazy to add caffeine to the mix.  When I do, it is some iced coffee first thing in the morning as Flori-DUH never really gets cold enough for a hot drink.

the taste is ok. Nothing superb as George Cloney believes.

What bothers me:
1) How much alu goes in the dump field
2) Probably 40% of what you pay goes in the commercial brand image killmyself.
3) The machine is a machine and will go tits up one day.

A good old Bialetti with a nice fresh grind coffee is hard to beat.

Is that stuff any good?

Who cares? Take a simple thing, a single dose of coffee, and wrap as much energy-intensive, single use, non-biodegradable waste around it as possible? It's a criminal squandering of resources just so some jumped up millennial can get, at home, a half-arsed version of the coffee they Instagram about when they buy it in some chi-chi coffee shop. If they want a decent coffee at home let 'em learn to use a grinder and a proper espresso machine that'll cost no more than the fancy Nespresso machine anyway, and taste better, and won't consign loads of precious resources to landfill.

Not that I've really got an opinion about it.  :)

Zucca, it certainly did seem to me the hype wouldn't match up with expectations.  We did have a Keurig for awhile that one stepdaughter gave us for Christmas.  Didn't take long to get the reusable cups and use our own coffee, mostly because of the price.  We had to get rid of it for reasons I don't want to mention so the other stepdaughter gave us a Bunn which has been a stellar unit.  As I said, not a big coffee drinker but the stepdaughter that lives with us and Mrs GreyWoolfe love their coffee.  She buys a medium roast, can't be arsed to go and check the brand and it is a decent cup.

Cerebus, our grinder is used for spices, it has never had coffee in it.  God forbid we have an espresso machine.  Stepdaughter has been told that she shouldn't even drink coffee but doesn't listen.  Sometimes Mrs GreyWoolfe cuts the medium roast 50/50 with decaf to try to limit stepdaughter's caffeine intake, at least at home.  The funny thing is, it seems they enjoy the coffee more from the Bunn than from the Keurig.  By the way, tell us how you really feel, don't keep it bottled up.  :-DD
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #42714 on: November 12, 2019, 07:39:22 pm »

Yea, someone had either too much, or too little, coffee.  :-DD

:-// pebkab I blame the recumbent typing position and the lateness of the hour but on a good note there is now several post here to 'assist' @brumby  :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #42715 on: November 12, 2019, 09:08:30 pm »
:-// pebkab I blame the recumbent typing position and the lateness of the hour but on a good note there is now several post here to 'assist' @brumby  :-DD

We are all on his list. And one day, he will come after us and then we are DOOOMED!  :scared:

;D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline mrjoda

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #42716 on: November 12, 2019, 09:13:30 pm »
Tray done. Works nicely. If anyone wants the STL, PM me and I'll send you a link  :-+

Embiggen it for bigger stuff  :-DD

well... my design

but i am totaly new to the 3D printing, so i screwed up some settings with i am not familiar and it looks ugly. The most important lesson from these two prints, i know what i messed up. The basic idea is that you can print how many pcs you want and stock it together, for temporary storage during placing of components.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 09:17:23 pm by mrjoda »

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #42717 on: November 12, 2019, 10:21:10 pm »

mnem
I don't know for sure re the 549, but the 545 sucks up about 800W idling! A good room heater
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42718 on: November 12, 2019, 10:30:45 pm »
Been a hectic couple of days. Scored a couple of items from fleabay for a total expenditure of $22.99.  They were a bit out of my way - but were close to each other, so a single trip was the aim.  I integrated this with a journey to a family dinner, which added 2 hours. $22 GoldStar OS-7020 20MHz 2 channel Oscilliscope + 2x probes + service manual (Yes, with schematics!) & 30kV voltmeter.

Bonus Danger points for adding the Family into a TEA pickup  :-DD

:-DD @bean

@ Brumby: well & truly earned today! Just don't show the fam that 30KV in action... they'll lock your ass up!  :-DD

mnem
*time to do something constructive*

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #42719 on: November 12, 2019, 10:57:05 pm »

mnem

All those 500 series scopes had those big ass fans except the 561 (no fan) .

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42720 on: November 12, 2019, 11:14:05 pm »
And it is Nestlé.  :--
Yes, because of their ubiquity it's easy to forget that Nestlé is in corporate essence the Baby Eating Bishop of Bath and Wells Cardinal of Vaud. Still, what large conglomerate isn't nowadays in some form or another, but Nestlé does seem to be involved in more than its fair share of corporate callousness and malfeasance.

Corporations by definition are a sociopathic property, and they will be the death of humanity. The Articles of Incorporation as practiced in every modern society are a sociopath's dream in true Moriarty fashion; a legal construct devised explicitly to insulate wealthy men in control of large business entities from the consequences of their most avaricious decisions and to reward them most for committing the most shameless atrocities in the pursuit of profit. Obviously, such a legal machine will attract the most rapacious sociopaths available to its highest ranks; it's not a question of "if" but "How many, how fast".

In short, you don't get to BE a Corporation without being to some extent a sociopathic entity; it's literally encoded in the core legal genes.

These are not new lessons, unfortunately; we had a similar legal construct called the "Public Trust" (and similar variants) roughly a century ago which very nearly unraveled the world economy, resulting in the Great Depression and fueling WWI/WWII. It was only after the US economy collapsed (and caused so much damage to those economies dependent on ours) and the greedy few fled the country, hiding themselves away with their warehouses of precious metals and artifacts that the ordinary, hard-working general population was able to get back to the business of rebuilding America as we all like to imagine it was in the "good old days". But, like any social construct that centralizes wealth & power, those greedy few soon return to corrupt even the most equitable systems such that they accumulate wealth & power unto themselves. It's that whole "Circle of Life" thing; only with spin doctors.

Yes, this is a grossly oversimplified description of half a century of human history; full of generalizations and jumped conclusions. However, if given even half the latitude we've given "The Corporation" as a concept, that description is more than apt.

mnem

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #42721 on: November 12, 2019, 11:20:20 pm »

That said... I just picked up one of these at the thrift out of curiosity at all the crazy connectivity (Yes, that really is a flip-top lid with drop-in tray for 3.5in HDD  :o) and because it was CAD$10. And a little masochism, I think.  :palm: I had no idea it is tied to the ArabTVNetwork; however I'm sure that any watchlist I wasn't on before now has me flagged thanks to my search history looking for an English-language ROM that might work. |O  I'm just glad I haven't let it near any open network it can connect to.

I may just chunk the MB in my parts bin and use it as an awesome Pi enclosure.

mnem
*glerp*

Good luck ever getting back across the border. Better brush up on your "Eh's"  :P :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42722 on: November 12, 2019, 11:33:55 pm »
well... my design

but i am totaly new to the 3D printing, so i screwed up some settings with i am not familiar and it looks ugly. The most important lesson from these two prints, i know what i messed up. The basic idea is that you can print how many pcs you want and stock it together, for temporary storage during placing of components.

Looks pretty good to me  :-+. Edit: I actually could have done with that "mid-K2 kit":

Talking of which, next project, the enamelled wire dispenser. I'm a crackhead for toroids but my spools are in a mess. Thus overengineering comes to play. Hmm. This is third revision of the design now being optimised for print speed hence all the holes.

Incidentally glad I went with FreeCAD. Fusion 360 can go to hell  :-DD

« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 11:38:07 pm by bd139 »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42723 on: November 13, 2019, 12:05:49 am »
   Incidentally glad I went with FreeCAD. Fusion 360 can go to hell  :-DD

See you there soon enough, buddy. F360 and I will be drinking coffee with bean...  :-DD

mnem
"Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke. Fuck 'em if they CAN take a joke too... just FUCK 'EM on general principles!" ~mom
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 07:39:22 pm by mnementh »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42724 on: November 13, 2019, 12:12:26 am »
There’d be a trade embargo against hell and your cloud account would be disabled. Plus the coffee’s not too good down there.  :popcorn:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf