Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14571618 times)

CalibrationGuy, djadeski and 12 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #43050 on: November 19, 2019, 10:26:18 am »
Tesla would be proud.  :P :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #43051 on: November 19, 2019, 10:29:04 am »
I want one of those 'small' trucks as well.
I showed my wife the picture of the transformer and that I wanted one and she said 'yes dear'!
What a gem!
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43052 on: November 19, 2019, 10:30:04 am »

Actually Edison should be the proud one, he was the one that said DC is the way to go.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43053 on: November 19, 2019, 10:39:57 am »
Yeah this one will do it:

Looks like part of a Megavolt inverter. @VK5RC: You'll usually find them somewhere close to an underwater DC connection between countries. You might need a decent trailer to get it home though. Maybe something like this?

McBryce.

A big beast basically:

https://new.abb.com/news/detail/10422/abb-transformers-enable-world-record-transmission-link-in-china

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #43054 on: November 19, 2019, 10:42:12 am »
On a slightly more serious note, a few years ago I was fault tracing an old hp system power supply which upon 1st 'enable' the over voltage would trigger - turned out to be a missing output filter capacitor (probably from when it was built as no sign of rework) - very easy to miss as the pcb covers about 5 models and only about 3/4 of the pcb is populated and the schematic also covers multiple models and many of the components on the schematic 'aren't there'!
The unit has two internal supplies - one ground referenced for the control / digital circuit and the other floating for the output. Having nearly fried my scope with a probe ground connection f-up, I was thinking of putting a small fuse in the ground wire. Instead I now leave the ground wire disconnected, with a red piece of paper (warning) in the ground clip.
I haven't seen a fuse like that , and thought it shouldn't stuff up measurements too much.
Certainly much better than a long ground clip lead would.

What do you guys think?

I know that i shouldn't do it, but dmms have fuses!
Rob
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43055 on: November 19, 2019, 10:45:45 am »
It annoys me that these are being called transformers. It's not a transformer, it's an inverter.

McBryce.

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #43056 on: November 19, 2019, 10:50:13 am »
Good to know, but unfortunately, the solder joints are fine. I should have mentioned the attenuators. They were horribly burned. Probably absorbed most of the energy.

Talking of "horribly burned" - remember last week's blown fuse? This is one of the DUTs.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 10:51:58 am by capt bullshot »
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, med6753, mnementh, bd139, factory, Kosmic, Black Phoenix

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43057 on: November 19, 2019, 10:53:39 am »
It's Ok, just needs a little dust off and some spit polishing... :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43058 on: November 19, 2019, 11:09:15 am »
Whoops.

That reminds me of the "we had a small fire in the DC when the A/C blew up" I saw a few years back. 6x HP servers had sucked that crap from one of the redundant UPS's that blew up and deposited it all over the insides until they blew up.

You know it's a bad day when the first diagnostic tool you need is a shovel.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #43059 on: November 19, 2019, 11:22:40 am »
much quicker than a spray can.  :-+
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43060 on: November 19, 2019, 11:26:17 am »
Yeah, but how do you get the residue to be blue?
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #43061 on: November 19, 2019, 11:35:09 am »
Yeah, but how do you get the residue to be blue?

Easy....bug bomb blue. First sign of overheat and it lets loose.  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #43062 on: November 19, 2019, 11:39:28 am »

Actually Edison should be the proud one, he was the one that said DC is the way to go.

McBryce.

Yea, you're right. Tesla did originally work for Edison but when he asked Edison for payment for services Edison refused. So he quit and went to work for Westinghouse.

Interesting tidbit: Up until very recently there were several elevators in lower Manhattan that still had DC motors driving them.

Another tidbit: The power company that serves the NYC metro area is called "Consolidated Edison" or "Con Ed" for short. 

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43063 on: November 19, 2019, 12:08:17 pm »
That name would fit our local metro nicely too. When you travel 500 yards and it costs you €2.20 you definitely feel Con(n)Ed.

McBryce.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43064 on: November 19, 2019, 04:17:46 pm »
Off topic, but I posted the other day about a watch I had ordered from Wish.com, it was a copy of a Citizen Blue Angels watch, which is the same as the Red Arrows version that I already have.

It arrived today, very impressive seeing as it was only ordered on the 11th and 8 days later delivered and placed in my hand  :-+ and on opening it up (it was very well protected for the journey I might add) it was not as per the photograph that I ordered against and as I had suspected, never had all the features that they claimed, ecodrive, sapphire crystal glass, and I could go on but I won't, but here is a photo what I received today and what the original (Red Arrows version) looks like.

As you can see there are many differences even with the photo used in the original advert on Wish.com site.

I raised a complaint on line this morning, explained my complaint that it was an obvious fake although I did know it was before I ordered it, I attached a copy of the bottom photo to show it was not like the genuine item, and I got an immediate refund in full and no mention of returning the fake item to them either, so I've gained a cheap fake that looks good enough to wear even when going decorating.

Overall, pretty good result, though I doubt the watch will last long.  :-DD :-+

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #43065 on: November 19, 2019, 04:48:42 pm »
So you knew it was a fake before you bought it.

You received it knowing it was a fake and then raised a stink that it was fake.

They refunded your money and you get to keep it.....knowing it's a fake.

Pretty slick I'd say, I'll have to try that with the cheap Chinese stuff. I could have a house full of knock offs in no time.  :P :-DD

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #43066 on: November 19, 2019, 04:54:40 pm »
You willingly order a fake, are happy with it but ask a refund?

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #43067 on: November 19, 2019, 04:59:28 pm »
I would like that only with a  Nixies display
Martin

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43068 on: November 19, 2019, 05:01:33 pm »
So you knew it was a fake before you bought it.

You received it knowing it was a fake and then raised a stink that it was fake.

They refunded your money and you get to keep it.....knowing it's a fake.

Pretty slick I'd say, I'll have to try that with the cheap Chinese stuff. I could have a house full of knock offs in no time.  :P :-DD
Yep, afraid so, guilty as charged. The give away apart from the price, is the word Quartz under the Citizen logo and the fact that there was no left-hand winder to operate the rotating slide rule, otherwise the watch was certainly good enough to fool most people who did not know much about watches. Hence, I thought, give it a go, good enough to wear all the time and not have to worry about damaging the real article which is around £300 new and the fake, just £17  :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43069 on: November 19, 2019, 05:04:57 pm »
You willingly order a fake, are happy with it but ask a refund?
Yes, because it was not like the top photo, look at the photo again and the Red Arrows watch, they are really close apart from missing left-hand winder for the slide rule and the word Eco-Drive" replaced with the word "Quartz"
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43070 on: November 19, 2019, 05:20:40 pm »
LMAO that’s a winner. It’s not a bad fake either. As for screwing them, so bloody what lol. They’re ripping someone off. Karma served.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #43071 on: November 19, 2019, 05:39:16 pm »
LMAO that’s a winner. It’s not a bad fake either. As for screwing them, so bloody what lol. They’re ripping someone off. Karma served.
What was it? 9 or 15 quid or something? I'd say it's everything you could reasonably expect.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #43072 on: November 19, 2019, 05:43:34 pm »
Whoops.

That reminds me of the "we had a small fire in the DC when the A/C blew up" I saw a few years back. 6x HP servers had sucked that crap from one of the redundant UPS's that blew up and deposited it all over the insides until they blew up.

You know it's a bad day when the first diagnostic tool you need is a shovel.

Ummm... okay. My regular job is "The guy who HALO drops into somebody else's shitstorm armed with a phone and a shovel"... :o

mnem
Parachute trumps shovel. >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43073 on: November 19, 2019, 05:49:06 pm »
It is if you knew the rest of it. It was according to the description, supposed to be fitted with sapphire crystal glass (plastic), Eco-Drive mechanism (battery quartz), rotating pilots slide rule (fixed), water resistant to 200M (doubt it), Radio Controlled (nope) etc. The stop watch function on the original times to 1/100th of a second on the bottom dial, the sweep second hand does the seconds and the top dial counts up to 60 minutes, the knock off, bottom dial only does seconds, sweep seconds is the same, top minutes is in fact seconds as well and the 24hr dial on the left is minutes in stop watch mode, so only counts up to 24 minutes.

Left photo is on the site, right is what I received, not even close but both are fakes. So yes I'm glad about karma being served for all the others that they ripped off  :-DD

In other news, just snagged another Samsung laser printer on evil bay, supposed to print half a page perfectly and shut down, which I know is a faulty sensor, so swap over the good sensor from the one I've already got, and hopefully a working colour laser printer again   :-DD

EDIT: The left-hand photo is a fake watch which I was aware was a fake before buying it, but when I received the one in the right-hand photo it was even more of a fake and is instantly clear to anyone that is so. Whereas the left-hand one is not so in your face and is of a level that I was willing to accept, but the right-hand one was not what I ordered.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 08:35:25 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #43074 on: November 19, 2019, 06:01:56 pm »
It is if you knew the rest of it. It was according to the description, supposed to be fitted with sapphire crystal glass (plastic), Eco-Drive mechanism (battery quartz), rotating pilots slide rule (fixed), water resistant to 200M (doubt it), Radio Controlled (nope) etc. The stop watch function on the original times to 1/100th of a second on the bottom dial, the sweep second hand does the seconds and the top dial counts up to 60 minutes, the knock off, bottom dial only does seconds, sweep seconds is the same, top minutes is in fact seconds as well and the 24hr dial on the left is minutes in stop watch mode, so only counts up to 24 minutes.

Left photo is on the site, right is what I received, not even close but both are fakes. So yes I'm glad about karma being served for all the others that they ripped off  :-DD

In other news, just snagged another Samsung laser printer on evil bay, supposed to print half a page perfectly and shut down, which I know is a faulty sensor, so swap over the good sensor from the one I've already got, and hopefully a working colour laser printer again  :-//
You paid 17 quid delivered for it right? If it actually came with all those features you'd be looking at receiving stolen goods so it's for the better it didn't.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf