Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14560943 times)

tautech, chronos42, 6h8c, factory and 34 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #43075 on: November 19, 2019, 06:29:53 pm »
Tesla would be proud.  :P :-DD

Actually Edison should be the proud one, he was the one that said DC is the way to go.

McBryce.

Yea, you're right. Tesla did originally work for Edison but when he asked Edison for payment for services Edison refused. So he quit and went to work for Westinghouse.

Interesting tidbit: Up until very recently there were several elevators in lower Manhattan that still had DC motors driving them.

Another tidbit: The power company that serves the NYC metro area is called "Consolidated Edison" or "Con Ed" for short.

Don't mistake "Successful" for "Genius". Tesla and Edison were competitors in one of the first "inventors' wars" of the industrial age. Edison was never really that smart; he was a carny barker as much as an inventor. But he did figure out how to apply the "mass production" business model to inventing; he then rode the genius of a great many others at his labs into the history books.

Edison knew that Tesla was right as far as AC being hands-down the only way to do transmission over great distances over land/in air with the technology at hand; his own letters turned up more than 50 years ago showed that. Westinghouse knew it too, but he also knew Tesla's genius came at the price of his altruistic streak (a refusal to give up on the idea of free broadcast power "for the good of mankind") and the resultant flaky nature; he DEMANDED that Edison and Tesla work together on the Hydro project or he would not fund any of the work. He wanted, and rightly so, for Edison's astute business sense to keep Tesla's electrical/electronic genius focused on the task at hand.

Technology has improved, and we can now do HVDC with some reasonable measure of efficiency that was not even thinkable in Edison's time; Tesla understood this on a fundamental level, while Edison still thought it was possible to make DC transmission work at storage-battery voltages if he could just find the right conductor.  |O

As inventors, the two really were not even operating on the same level; Tesla was a savant while Edison was at best a lucky guesser in most cases. If it weren't for Edison's near-sociopathic self-promotion (on one occasion, he was nearly beaten to death by townsfolk after publicly electrocuting the pet of the mayor's beloved daughter in one of his "demonstrations" on the horrors of AC) he would at best be a historical footnote.

There is a tendency to conflate the relationship as something similar to Mozart & Salieri; truth is Edison was nowhere near that, not even in the same league respectively as Salieri. But he sure could SELL what he did "discover".  ::)

mnem
Of course this view of history is colored by my own opinion... take with a grain of salt big enough to pickle a dragon. ;)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 07:33:50 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #43076 on: November 19, 2019, 06:36:36 pm »
Most of the patents credited to Edison are actually creations of his employees. He would not allow them to apply for the patent instead he "stole" it for himself.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #43077 on: November 19, 2019, 06:37:43 pm »
I guess Edison wasn't wrong. It's just that super conduction is a tough feat.  :P Not that he understood any of that of course.

Offline ArthurDent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43078 on: November 19, 2019, 06:53:43 pm »

eBay auction: #283562586328

And then I won.  :palm:   So now I have a voltage calibration source.

(Attachment Link)

I bought a similar Analogic AN3100 D.C. voltage standard (accuracy 0.005% of reading ±50uV @20°C ±0.0002%/°C) on Craigslist. The seller wanted to get rid of it and was asking $40 but was willing to take a lot less. The only change I made was replace the on-off switch.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 06:57:22 pm by ArthurDent »

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #43079 on: November 19, 2019, 07:02:10 pm »
this is a 150V standart  8)

The following users thanked this post: Kosmic, grbk

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43080 on: November 19, 2019, 07:17:39 pm »
It looks like it's wearing a Pickelhaube and pigtails. Is its name Brünhild?
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Martin.M

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #43081 on: November 19, 2019, 07:23:17 pm »
In Other News...

I just survived doing a fresh install of Windoze and migrating my old Firefox profile from before the move to my new Lenovo Flex 3 1580; thanks to the fact that Windows install was able to sneak a connection to a nearby open WiFi and the recent really stupid changes in how Firefox now handles profiles, this exercise turned into something like that "Field of Face-Swatters" from HHGttG.  :palm:

But hey... 15.6" touchscreen, reasonably modern i7 processor, SSD & backlit keyboard for $175 was just too good to pass up. We'll see how it works out. :o

mnem
*off to do my errands for fun & family*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43082 on: November 19, 2019, 07:28:47 pm »
Glad to see another Firefox user. Chrome is such an asshole of a browser.

Talking of Lenovo I may have just sold my T470. Currently mentally spending the cash already going shopping on Elecraft. The K2 100W PA and ATU is looking interesting. However it’s about 80% of the cost of an IC-7300 or twice the cost of another FT450D once you’ve been fucked for VAT. Analysis paralysis. The K2 receiver is way way way  better than the FT450D and IC7300 though and doesn’t have that muddy DSP ringyness to it as it’s a fully analogue filter. Plus you don’t get to build a 450D or IC7300. Hmm
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 07:31:06 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #43083 on: November 19, 2019, 07:37:02 pm »
I didn't note the brand, are Proteus units good or crappy generic re-brands? My brother doesn't have a key to the lobby as he lives on the ground floor, so the rather crap phone picture was taken through the window with zoom, he said someone may have removed a detector/sounder unit as they kept setting it off smoking the last time it went off, each block has a panel covering six flats, all linked together.

Highly likely it's part of an older system as they didn't bother removing old detector/sounder units last time they replaced them, the new sounders are much louder then the crap they installed where I work (which now can't be heard over the noise of some machines  |O).

Proteus is a half decent brand, though well short of premium. Think Renault if you're into cars. idk what brand I'd choose for TE, I wouldn't want to trigger any of the fanboys...

Sound levels are covered in the regulations also, and if they are inaudible due to machinery noise, either they must be changed to be loud enough to hear over the machinery, or if this is impractical because it would be too loud or some workers wear ear protection, they MUST be supplemented with beacons that can be seen from everywhere in the noisy area. This is a legal requirement, not just in the BS5839 fire regs, but also the H.A.S.A.W.A. rules and regs.
If your employer doesn't want to pay for this, remind them that H.A.S.A.W.A. gives the HSE the ability to prosecute in a Crown Court, with unlimited fines and jail sentences on offer for those who flout the regs resulting in death or serious injury.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #43084 on: November 19, 2019, 07:52:26 pm »

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #43085 on: November 19, 2019, 07:52:36 pm »
It looks like it's wearing a Pickelhaube and pigtails. Is its name Brünhild?

150C2  ^-^ identical to OA2 yes.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 07:56:50 pm by Martin.M »

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #43086 on: November 19, 2019, 08:10:27 pm »

Long-time Firefox user here, too. I have other browsers installed for testing, etc., but FF is my daily driver.

My browser history: NCSA Mosaic > Netscape Navigator > Netscape Communicator > Mozilla Application Suite/SeaMonkey > Mozilla Firefox

I also used Waterfox for a couple of years during the Quantum/extensions fiasco so I could keep using existing add-ons.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43087 on: November 19, 2019, 08:14:15 pm »
Most of the patents credited to Edison are actually creations of his employees. He would not allow them to apply for the patent instead he "stole" it for himself.
But that is the way of all companies I know, its written into most contracts of employment that any invention created while in working for the company are the property of said company?  :-//
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43088 on: November 19, 2019, 08:23:45 pm »
And another Firefox user here, switched a few months ago from Chrome because it was being a dick but after the latest Windoze update, spell checker stopped working, did anyone else notice that? I installed LanguageTool to fix that.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43089 on: November 19, 2019, 08:27:23 pm »
Every time I started chrome it defaulted to US English. That was my main complaint in that department. Apart from that it takes forever to start!

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #43090 on: November 19, 2019, 08:31:33 pm »

Long-time Firefox user here, too. I have other browsers installed for testing, etc., but FF is my daily driver.

My browser history: NCSA Mosaic > Netscape Navigator > Netscape Communicator > Mozilla Application Suite/SeaMonkey > Mozilla Firefox

I also used Waterfox for a couple of years during the Quantum/extensions fiasco so I could keep using existing add-ons.

Another Firefox user.  :-+

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #43091 on: November 19, 2019, 08:36:28 pm »
But that is the way of all companies I know, its written into most contracts of employment that any invention created while in working for the company are the property of said company?  :-//

Yes, the patents are the property of the company but the INDIVIDUAL gets credit for it and their name is on the patent. That's the way it was at IBM and I assume most other companies.

Edison outright stole the ideas from his employees and took full credit for the invention and the patent has his name alone on it.   

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #43092 on: November 19, 2019, 08:38:11 pm »
Every time I started chrome it defaulted to US English. That was my main complaint in that department. Apart from that it takes forever to start!

What's the matter? Can't learn a foreign language?  :P :P :-DD

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43093 on: November 19, 2019, 08:41:01 pm »

Having the right to have the patent rights assigned to you (i.e. the right to use it) is not the same as claiming authorship of it. The former is normal commercial practice for inventions of employees, the latter fraud.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43094 on: November 19, 2019, 09:16:46 pm »

Not me. Everyone who left here was stupid and couldn’t spell  :-DD  :popcorn:

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #43095 on: November 19, 2019, 09:26:40 pm »

Not me. Everyone who left here was stupid and couldn’t spell  :-DD  :popcorn:

Well COLOR me stupid then.  :o :P :P :P :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43096 on: November 19, 2019, 09:30:51 pm »
To be fair we nicked that one from the french so you need to apologise to them first  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #43097 on: November 19, 2019, 10:00:46 pm »
To be fair we nicked that one from the french so you need to apologise to them first  :-DD

They can find that apology at the bottom of the HARBOR.

along with the tea :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43098 on: November 19, 2019, 10:06:09 pm »
Fiiiiight  :box:

Actually I’m no fan of tea ironically. I like my Americano  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: med6753

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43099 on: November 19, 2019, 10:07:46 pm »

Same here - except dual-based with IE. One can say many things against MS and IE, but their Favorites storage is transparent and stable over the versions. Came also from Netscape to Mozilla.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf