Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14821133 times)

RolandK, Edison and 219 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #43100 on: November 19, 2019, 10:17:28 pm »
Most of the patents credited to Edison are actually creations of his employees. He would not allow them to apply for the patent instead he "stole" it for himself.
But that is the way of all companies I know, its written into most contracts of employment that any invention created while in working for the company are the property of said company?  :-//

My patents are in my name, but assigned to the company I was working for.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43101 on: November 19, 2019, 10:19:16 pm »

It is if you knew the rest of it. It was according to the description, supposed to be fitted with sapphire crystal glass (plastic), Eco-Drive mechanism (battery quartz), rotating pilots slide rule (fixed), water resistant to 200M (doubt it), Radio Controlled (nope) etc. .....

Everything electronic can be 'radio-controlled'. It is only a question
- of power
- as to which effect.
 >:D

No, I do not spend too much time in EMC labs, why do you ask?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43102 on: November 19, 2019, 10:19:43 pm »

Argh. Shopping spree ended. $188 shipping for 2kg of tat from the US! Get to fuck.

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #43103 on: November 20, 2019, 12:13:01 am »
To be fair we nicked that one from the french so you need to apologise to them first  :-DD

They can find that apology at the bottom of the HARBOR.

along with the tea :-DD

We are best not to catalog catalogue the list of crimes against the majority of the English speaking world by the USA lest we get into the absorption and on going bastardization of the language proper by the rest of us mob including the POM's themselves >:D

Time to have and expresso Espresso and go make preparations for a 1K+ Donut Doughnut weekend

Possums must die !
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #43104 on: November 20, 2019, 12:20:23 am »
Hmmm...  8)

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43105 on: November 20, 2019, 12:30:32 am »
It's Ok, just needs a little dust off and some spit polishing... :-DD

Heh. Had payd fun too that way.

Cleanup to test bay 4!

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #43106 on: November 20, 2019, 01:03:29 am »
Most of the patents credited to Edison are actually creations of his employees. He would not allow them to apply for the patent instead he "stole" it for himself.
But that is the way of all companies I know, its written into most contracts of employment that any invention created while in working for the company are the property of said company?  :-//

Yes, the patents are the property of the company but the INDIVIDUAL gets credit for it and their name is on the patent. That's the way it was at IBM and I assume most other companies.

Edison outright stole the ideas from his employees and took full credit for the invention and the patent has his name alone on it.

Exactly. All patents I've worked on have my name as an inventor, but the companies owned the rights to the inventions.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #43107 on: November 20, 2019, 02:15:50 am »
I want one of those 'small' trucks as well.
I showed my wife the picture of the transformer and that I wanted one and she said 'yes dear'!
What a gem!

You obviously did not hear the eye roll. :-DD

Fiiiiight  :box:

Actually I’m no fan of tea ironically. I like my Americano  :-DD

Just the opposite lately.  We have had some cooler weather lately and I have been drinking tea.  Earl Grey or Oolong in the morning and then a cup of chamomile in the evening to soothe my frazzled nerves |O
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #43108 on: November 20, 2019, 05:55:25 am »
Glad to see another Firefox user. Chrome is such an asshole of a browser.

Long-time Firefox user here, too. I have other browsers installed for testing, etc., but FF is my daily driver.

My browser history: NCSA Mosaic > Netscape Navigator > Netscape Communicator > Mozilla Application Suite/SeaMonkey > Mozilla Firefox

I also used Waterfox for a couple of years during the Quantum/extensions fiasco so I could keep using existing add-ons.

Same here. Still have the printed license to my paid copy of NutScrape tucked in the manual/license for my copy of Winblows98. In storage.

Nature of my work requires I use Chrome at least part of the time, so I stay fluent in their latest crimes and bugaboos. But fortunately, I don't have to at home anymore. I purged them from all my machines, even virtual, when they decided to officially embrace evil a couple years ago.

I still have an email with them; need it for my YoobToob. They can have those metrics... I'm sure everybody wants to know that an old fat nerd bastard watches hours of Linus and Monty Python a week.  >:D

mnem
*toddling off to ded*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #43109 on: November 20, 2019, 06:24:35 am »
I showed my wife the picture of the transformer and that I wanted one and she said 'yes dear'!
What a gem!

Between us 'yes dear' has always been a great joke, once she said she wanted a Aston Martin, I gave her a two word reply!! :-DD
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43110 on: November 20, 2019, 07:35:06 am »
Tesla would be proud.  :P :-DD

Actually Edison should be the proud one, he was the one that said DC is the way to go.

McBryce.

Yea, you're right. Tesla did originally work for Edison but when he asked Edison for payment for services Edison refused. So he quit and went to work for Westinghouse.

Interesting tidbit: Up until very recently there were several elevators in lower Manhattan that still had DC motors driving them.

Another tidbit: The power company that serves the NYC metro area is called "Consolidated Edison" or "Con Ed" for short.

Technology has improved, and we can now do HVDC with some reasonable measure of efficiency that was not even thinkable in Edison's time; Tesla understood this on a fundamental level, while Edison still thought it was possible to make DC transmission work at storage-battery voltages if he could just find the right conductor.  |O

mnem
Of course this view of history is colored by my own opinion... take with a grain of salt big enough to pickle a dragon. ;)

He probably had the right conductor, it just wasn't at the correct temperature (about -273°C) to do what he wanted it to do :)

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43111 on: November 20, 2019, 09:53:03 am »
To be fair we nicked that one from the french so you need to apologise to them first  :-DD

They can find that apology at the bottom of the HARBOR.

along with the tea :-DD
Nothing wrong with tea, drinking a cup of it right now  :-DD >:D
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43112 on: November 20, 2019, 10:02:51 am »
What a gem!

Between us 'yes dear' has always been a great joke, once she said she wanted a Aston Martin, I gave her a two word reply!! :-DD
Let me guess that two word reply started and ended with an F  :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43113 on: November 20, 2019, 10:10:23 am »
Check your eBay accounts for signs of hacking, woke this morning to discover a string of emails from eBay informing me that I had successfully added 2 stage verification to my account at 03:01 precisely, strange because I was in bed asleep then, and then proceeded to add 4 exercise bikes all priced in Euro's, yeah right, they can feck right off.

Onto eBay chat and all sorted, account re secured and bogus items removed from my listings, thanks eBay for a quick resolution.  :phew:
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 10:12:01 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43114 on: November 20, 2019, 10:14:59 am »
Check your eBay accounts for signs of hacking, woke this morning to discover a string of emails from eBay informing me that I had successfully added 2 stage verification to my account at 03:01 precisely, strange because I was in bed asleep then, and then proceeded to add 4 exercise bikes all priced in Euro's, yeah right, they can feck right off.

Onto eBay chat and all sorted, account re secured and bogus items removed from my listings, thanks eBay for a quick resolution.  :phew:

Was it an issue with the two stage verification or lack of? I haven't 'upgraded' mine as two stage logins on Ali Express are already giving me the sh1T's
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43115 on: November 20, 2019, 10:31:49 am »
You need more than just the username and password if you have two step (multi-factor) authentication. That means if you get hit by a keylogger or reuse your password and email address on multiple sites it keeps the probability that your other stuff is going to get hacked low.

You really should set it up on anything you can pay with or receive payment with. So that means paypal and ebay!!!

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43116 on: November 20, 2019, 10:52:35 am »
I run different emails and logins for Ali and Evilbay and they don't share a password so I do keep it careful. Last time I was hacked in any way was years ago and was a Yahoo email account I kept for just running and moderating Yahoo groups which will soon be a moot issue.

Still a PITA.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43117 on: November 20, 2019, 10:59:02 am »
Good good. 2FA is still good because it kills keyloggers dead as you need a physical device external to the machine (phone / TOTP key etc). My father-in-law had his Halifax account emptied after someone keylogged his login details.

Santander's mobile banking is quite nice. It uses FaceID for access on iOS (which is very very very hard to spoof) and you can't add new target accounts until you enter a third factor.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 11:01:47 am by bd139 »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43118 on: November 20, 2019, 11:29:52 am »
Yep, just set up both eBay and PayPal on the 2 step system now lets see the little bastards try it on  >:D >:D What I'd like to know is how the fuck did they get my eBay password though  :-//
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43119 on: November 20, 2019, 11:44:10 am »
Probably either a known password or used somewhere else.

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43120 on: November 20, 2019, 11:46:49 am »
Yep, just set up both eBay and PayPal on the 2 step system now lets see the little bastards try it on  >:D >:D What I'd like to know is how the fuck did they get my eBay password though  :-//

Blame the scammers @ wish or Karma being the b1tch she is  :-//  :-DD

Pommie stirring TEA defenses ENGAGED  >:D Cute little one and I will migrate it tomorrow to the garden.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 12:02:32 pm by beanflying »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43121 on: November 20, 2019, 12:35:00 pm »

Blame the scammers @ wish (Attachment Link) or Karma being the b1tch she is  :-//  :-DD

Pommie stirring TEA defences ENGAGED  >:D Cute little one and I will migrate it tomorrow to the garden.
Doubt it has anything to do with wish but karma can be a cow at times I know, karma watch still going strong and keeping good time  :popcorn:.

As to that spider being cute little one I'd sure hate to come across a big bastard. If that was in shed or anywhere near me it would be meeting up with something heavy enough to squash the critter. Generally speaking, as long as they remain in the garden, they are free, but when inside my domain they usually sign their own death warrant  :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43122 on: November 20, 2019, 12:54:44 pm »

So I'm not going to be getting my exercise bike is what you're saying? :)

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Mr. Scram, bd139, Kosmic

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #43123 on: November 20, 2019, 03:07:33 pm »
So that means paypal and ebay!!!

doing it right now.
Later I will check aliexpress for the two step thing.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #43124 on: November 20, 2019, 03:20:17 pm »
You likely had a common or predictable password or reused a password for multiple services.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf