Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14821535 times)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #44325 on: December 07, 2019, 08:02:21 pm »
something TEA-related:
When I stopped supporting our pathology lab, they gave me a Mettler Toledo Precision scale as a parting gift.
It was used to weigh organs (mostly rat / mouse), so it is perfect as a powder measure. And it is good down to a microgram.
It's currently sitting next to that logic analyzer.
Hell, I need more space.
Nope, just a dedicated loading only bench.  :P Mine's in our large ceiling space.
Scales, RCBS CM 1500 dispenser here.  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #44326 on: December 07, 2019, 08:09:56 pm »
no space. Not even enough to bring out that Dillon 650 which is currently packed up in the basement and up for grabs.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #44327 on: December 07, 2019, 08:20:08 pm »
Somebody shoot me please and put me out of my misery.  |O  I decided to nuke WIN7 off my TEA system and installed Linux Mint. The install went fine. The issue is...and ALWAYS is....WIN10. My home network right now is in shambles. WIN10 is such a bastard when trying to connect to other machines on the network. After lots of fumbling around I did finally get WIN10 to recognize and connect to Mint. Right now getting files arranged and transferred. But what an ordeal!  ::)

And if it wasn't for my other WIN7 machine.....which found the Mint machine with NO issue....I STILL wouldn't know what syntax WIN10 required to connect.  |O

Bill Gates...you're an asshole.  >:D

I've spent who knows how many hours trying to get my Win 10 systems to allow file sharing connections from Linux (mainly Raspberry Pi's with Kodi).  Then one day I discovered that Win 10 had decided to declare MY OWN WiFi network was a "Public Network" and that was why I was having so much trouble.  So go to the "Network and Sharing Center" and make sure it says it's a private network.

Another problem I had was on one of my systems Win 10 somehow decided to make my username "Carl Smith" instead of "cdsmi" and I didn't discover this until it was sort of too late.  If I had caught it right away I would have just created a new user account and deleted that one but it would be a big hassle now to do that.  And Linux doesn't appreciate spaces in usernames.  So I finally figured out when I set up a Ras Pi with Kodi I had to enter "Carl\ Smith" as the user to get Winblowz 10 to accept the login.  |O

My network is private....verified.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #44328 on: December 07, 2019, 08:26:51 pm »
Bill Gates
Steeve Ballmer
Satya Nadella

Put the blame where it lies, buddy. ;)

Bill & Steve & Steve are all the villains/heroes of the past... we have a whole new generation of fuck-weasels to deal with now.  :-DD

OTOH... why the FUCK would you enable Winbloze networking/file-sharing in a non-AD environment? You deserve every bit of misery you get. >:D Just drop a NAS box (or even a cheap BT3.0 HDD) on the router for a network share and keep your shit all safe & sane & properly isolated.

mnem
 :horse:

Right, just what I need. Another piece of equipment powered on all the time and requiring maintenance to boot. Yes, today was painful but I got through it. Things have settled down and my network functions have been restored and files are as they should be.

And yes, I DO have regular backups performed which include off line drives as well as cloud storage.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44329 on: December 07, 2019, 08:37:57 pm »
Company I currently work for put everything in OneDrive. Problem solved!

(Also 3000 problems created but if we brush them under the carpet no one will notice)

Incidentally I use a Samsung 850 pro in an external USB3/C box for moving data around. zero problems and fast!

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44330 on: December 07, 2019, 08:50:06 pm »
that's what our IT guys want to do. Teams, Onedrive and Azure.
What a flabbergasting piece of amphibian ....

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #44331 on: December 07, 2019, 08:54:28 pm »
This is TEA related, had to check and change the CR123 batteries in the EOTech sight and TLR1 light, used my trusty HP 427A for the job!

Gratuitous photo included, Wilson Combat full billet upper/lower 458 SOCOM with my Barns 300gr TTSX handloads.  Keeping my TEA safe from wild hogs (built as a hog hammer hunting tool).
(Attachment Link)

Another gratuitous photo. Mine is not as powerful nor sophisticated as yours but it will persuade if necessary. Marlin Model 60. .22 long varmint gun. Kept in case under the bed. Fully loaded but no round chambered, breech open, safety on. But one cock and it's ready to go. My TEA insurance policy.  :-+

Also have a Bushnell scope for it but not currently mounted. 

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, kj7e, Neomys Sapiens

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44332 on: December 07, 2019, 09:03:28 pm »
up until recently (when I could see that they would introduce the next round of gun ban/grab) I had a Molot Vepr 12 and a SIG 551.
Had to let both go, as over here they want to restrict guns to the government and the newly formed thought police.

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44333 on: December 07, 2019, 09:07:41 pm »
that's what our IT guys want to do. Teams, Onedrive and Azure.
What a flabbergasting piece of amphibian ....

Oh the Trifecta of pain  :--

TE related. Just found out the Caddock MP930 thick film resistors are good to about 150MHz for 1.1:1 VSWR and still better than 2:1 at 500MHz if you actually solder them straight to an SMA connector. Not bad for £4 a pop.

The following users thanked this post: kj7e

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #44334 on: December 07, 2019, 09:12:19 pm »
This is TEA related, had to check and change the CR123 batteries in the EOTech sight and TLR1 light, used my trusty HP 427A for the job!

Gratuitous photo included, Wilson Combat full billet upper/lower 458 SOCOM with my Barns 300gr TTSX handloads.  Keeping my TEA safe.
(Attachment Link)

Drool. I finally got my S&B 5-25 PM2-2 P4L  on my Savage Drake .338LM to work. Now I need something for acoustics mgmt. Like a Silencer.

Nice!  Dont make me dig out my 338LM haha!  Had a custom Bartlein 29" 1-9.5" 5R twist heavy contour barrel made for it about 2 years ago, its a damn laser.
Nice.  :)
These ^ after watching American Sniper again last night has my right forefinger getting itchy for some scratching.  ;)
Booked a few rounds of Trap here today with some friends but only DTL but that should ease the itch some.
3 weeks ago I had to make a choice. Would I spend my bonus (or part of it) on that shiny .408CT with scope and everything, or would I just get a friggin' Oscilloscope.
The Oscilloscope won. No .408ct for me.
But, that's the way of the TE Addict.

btw Hubby is succumbing to his addiction ...
which gives me time to look for further TE. I have spotted a Xilinx Zynq ZCU 104 board ...

Okay, I dug out the 338LM, just for good measure sort of speak.  It started out as a Savage 110 but the only thing Savage on it now is the worked over receiver. Pacific Tool & Gague bolt and bolt face even. Nightforce nxs 5.5-22x56 mil mil on 20moa Ken Farrell base.  The Fat Bastard APA brake on the end of the Bartlein barrel brings back considerable blast!  If I have anyone on the benches next to me, they leave after the 2nd or third shot HAHA.  Been running 89gr of Retumbo with the 300gr Scenars with great success. Have a bunch of Reloader 33 I have been meaning to play with.
885912-0

885916-1

885920-2

1875 yard shooting in the wind.  I have a 3x3' steel plate hung from a 6' saw horse on the side of the mountain in the background.  Its 3.2 seconds time of flight, then another 6 seconds return of sound.  So about 9 seconds after I fire you can hear the dong in the background. I forget the exact drop there, but its close to 120' of hold over.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 09:15:54 pm by kj7e »

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, Neomys Sapiens, Saskia

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #44335 on: December 07, 2019, 09:16:33 pm »
no.      my power supply craving has been satisfied.

So you have a Power Designs PSU based on an LM399 reference, with delicious concentric 4 decade voltage setting dials.

Some equipment is just right. Power Designs PSUs like the 2020 fall into that category.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44336 on: December 07, 2019, 09:20:33 pm »
Ok, in 10 min I will be married. Just checking here before my TEA career will change forever.
Sorry misspelled with a phone.

congrats.
My husband won't interfere with my habit as long as I don't interfere with his knife/axe/tomahawk/... collecting habit.

Maybe you can strike a similar deal ? It all boils down to the proper bribe  ;)

Yes, you are settling in here just nicely. Kindred spirits and all that.

Welcome. New blood is always welcome :)
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #44337 on: December 07, 2019, 09:21:37 pm »
Company I currently work for put everything in OneDrive. Problem solved!  (Also 3000 problems created but if we brush them under the carpet no one will notice)

Incidentally I use a Samsung 850 pro in an external USB3/C box for moving data around. zero problems and fast!

Now if you plug that into your router, you'll have a NAS even can't bitch aboot!  :-DD

mnem
*poot*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44338 on: December 07, 2019, 09:24:06 pm »
In Other News...

Considering the dearth of sanely-priced oscilloscopes with sanely-priced shipping here in the Great White North, I've almost given in and am seriously considering a new HANTEK 6022BE available here for CAD$80/US$60 to get me by. I know... I know... USB port is not isolated and OWON makes a similar unit that IS isolated... but here it costs twice as much.

Otherwise, especially with the advances in the UI software from the enthusiast community, within its advertised range it at least qualifies as a real scope. TALK ME DOWN.  :palm:

For your convenience, the "Laugh it Up" meme generator is located here. ;)

mnem
 :-/O
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 10:06:31 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44339 on: December 07, 2019, 09:26:26 pm »
Now if you plug that into your router, you'll have a NAS even can't bitch aboot!  :-DD

I swapped my actual NAS for some less frustrating cash  :-DD

The whole OneDrive thing is funny. Really funny. Day one. "oh the internet doesn't work now". Yep that's because half the dev team running visual studio projects with a couple of million lines of code on their desktop and the compiler output was going up and down  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #44340 on: December 07, 2019, 09:26:43 pm »
Company I currently work for put everything in OneDrive. Problem solved!  (Also 3000 problems created but if we brush them under the carpet no one will notice)

mnem
*poot*

Say what?  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #44341 on: December 07, 2019, 09:29:46 pm »
In Other News...

Considering the dearth of sanely-priced oscilloscopes with sanely-priced shipping here in the Great White North, I've almost given in and am seriously considering a new HANTEK 6022BE available here for CAD$80/US$60 to get me by. I know... I know... USB port is not isolated and OWON makes a similar unit that IS isolated... but here it costs twice as much.

Otherwise, especially with the advances in the UI software from the enthusiast community, within its advertised range it at least qualifies as a real scope. TALK ME DOWN.  :palm:

mnem

Hell, I'll sell you the RCA 54-45 for $60 USD. Freshly repaired and all burned in.  :-+ >:D ;D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44342 on: December 07, 2019, 09:30:32 pm »
that's what our IT guys want to do. Teams, Onedrive and Azure. What a flabbergasting piece of amphibian ....

That combination adds up to only ONE THING that I can think of... "We want to make it someone else's problem. Please fire us all and put us out of our misery."

mnem
*casts a prayer to Ifni for Saskia's sanity*
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 10:07:04 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Saskia

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #44343 on: December 07, 2019, 09:35:32 pm »
So I don't want to say TOO much yet, but later this month...if all goes well...there will be a very very awesome TEA day here at my house. There is a very special piece of RF test equipment coming that is still factory sealed and brand new, even though it isn't new.  :-DD  There will be photographs.  :-+

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44344 on: December 07, 2019, 09:36:09 pm »
One thing Zucca needs to experience is my day today which is directly related to the above. It’s the hell known as “other people’s kids”. Something which no one tells you about when you get married.

There's a step worse, the in-law's out-law's kids. You can't even get away with scaring them off when no-one's watching, the little rodents go and rat on you to the sister-in-law.  :)

I've found the best defence to all kinds of rugrat is to learn to produce a convincing animal growl, something close to Rottweiler-that's-just-about-ready-for-lunch.  >:D

Ever thought of getting the kids to like you because you lead them towards things that are socially acceptable and seemingly dangerous and onerous for the parents?

Parents feel they have to do the dirty work, whilst you remain the good guy.

I'd suggest flying glider, but rock climbing, scuba diving, horse riding are alternative  >:D

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #44345 on: December 07, 2019, 09:37:29 pm »
I've been bringing our IT infrastructure more in-house and out of the cloud, just so we have more control, better availability where it counts and control on security.  That only works if you have the local staff knowledge to maintain it properly and that's where many company are shooting them self's  in the foot.  Recently implemented a few TrueNAS systems for central file servers for our LA Market.  It saved our ass recently.  Love ZFS, snapshots and block delta replication!   

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44346 on: December 07, 2019, 09:38:08 pm »
One thing Zucca needs to experience is my day today which is directly related to the above. It’s the hell known as “other people’s kids”. Something which no one tells you about when you get married.

There's a step worse, the in-law's out-law's kids. You can't even get away with scaring them off when no-one's watching, the little rodents go and rat on you to the sister-in-law.  :)

I've found the best defence to all kinds of rugrat is to learn to produce a convincing animal growl, something close to Rottweiler-that's-just-about-ready-for-lunch.  >:D

Ever thought of getting the kids to like you because you lead them towards things that are socially acceptable and seemingly dangerous and onerous for the parents?

Parents feel they have to do the dirty work, whilst you remain the good guy.

I'd suggest flying glider, but rock climbing, scuba diving, horse riding are alternative  >:D

OR....TEA!!!  >:D >:D >:D

:-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #44347 on: December 07, 2019, 09:38:22 pm »
So I don't want to say TOO much yet, but later this month...if all goes well...there will be a very very awesome TEA day here at my house. There is a very special piece of RF test equipment coming that is still factory sealed and brand new, even though it isn't new.  :-DD  There will be photographs.  :-+

You're just a big tease, aren't you?  ;D

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44348 on: December 07, 2019, 09:39:42 pm »

You're just a big tease, aren't you?  ;D

:-DD  >:D

Well, it's not often that us hobbyists get the opportunity to buy a piece of very very high end equipment that's still factory sealed. So I want it to be a nice surprise for everyone ca Christmas. :)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44349 on: December 07, 2019, 09:47:32 pm »
In Other News...

mnem

Hell, I'll sell you the RCA 54-45 for $60 USD. Freshly repaired and all burned in.  :-+ >:D ;D

Stated spec was "qualifies as a real scope", not "doorstop with amusing real-time graphics".  ;)

mnem

Say WHAT...?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf