Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14558691 times)

K0ELB, Vince, Jambalaya and 44 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #44525 on: December 09, 2019, 12:17:59 am »
I think even more important is a good compressor, oil free of course. Or did we already have it here? The thread is very long. In addition, I do not know where to put the whole thing yet.

I have a Dürr one, used by a dentist. 170€ was a steal.
You know THIS?:
https://www.kager-hightemp.com/cold-air-generator/
If your unit manages the flow requirement, you could have bought your last can of cooling spray.

A very useful company anyway!

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #44526 on: December 09, 2019, 12:25:54 am »
umm, thanks, but I don't have an interest in X-Ray. I would have an interest in some gizmo to generate a directed 20 MW pulse in the several hundred MHz or even low GHz range and evaluate its ECM potential.

BUT as I am no longer working in that particular area (the SigInt/ ComInt part) I really don't need to know ...

So what... got some pesky surveillance drones keep coming around that need to “Have a accident”...? >:D

mnem
Amazon drone delivery: Skeet shooting with prizes.

With 20 MW, you could wreak all kinds of havoc on virtually anything, even if it's shielded.

Well, yeah... but I was thinking more in terms of range, and the scattering effect of high-density CF weave commonly used in drone construction. Given that combination, 20MW seemed about right. ;)

Our TEA dragon, always to be practical ...  >:D

It's my curse.  >:D

mnem
*currently trying to resuscitate a small air compressor from the Thrift*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44527 on: December 09, 2019, 12:36:45 am »
I'm calling the 5th. With 20 MW you should be able to fry low flying geese.Save the time to start up the BBQ.
Fun anecdote: the (vacuum tube) radar of the Soviet MiG-25 interceptor would kill unfortunate small animals at surprising ranges during ground tests. Wonder how RF cooked goose tastes?  >:D
...As for the taste: like chicken. Seriously, put a goose in the microwave. Same thing.
Radiation doesn't taste like chicken. It tastes salty. Seriously. Because of the petechia.
My Father was in the US Coast Guard in the late 1940's and early 1950's as a radio tech/radar operator. Standard procedure for doing a quick and dirty check of the radar was to suspend a piece of meat on a pole and place it in front of the dish. If the meat started smoking it was working.  :o

mnem
So. Very. Wrong. >:D
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 12:43:05 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44528 on: December 09, 2019, 12:51:37 am »
I have no idea. I would imagine the pilot is mostly ok since the radar in a fighter or interceptor is highly directional.
You do not need to fly high to become sick, i recall a lawsuit talks when a cop claimed he got a testicular cancer from routinely placing his car speed radar between his legs when being on patrol.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #44529 on: December 09, 2019, 12:52:09 am »
Hey, there wasn't much entertainment on a Coast Guard cutter. It's called invent your own games/entertainment.  ;D

The absolute worst duty you could pull in the USCG was to be stationed on the old, no longer in service, lighthouse ships. They were stationed, at all times, near the entrances to harbors, such as NYC. No matter the weather. Hurricane? Tough shit. You were on station. Firmly anchored with multiples. The ship rolling, heaving, and nearly capsizing. The ships cook would have to lash the pots/pans to the stove to prevent them from falling off. And the head was unusable because even with a baffle plate the water would geyser up to the ceiling. Fun times.  :palm:   
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #44530 on: December 09, 2019, 12:54:04 am »
Started checking out his videos and he's mostly ham related but interesting. Watched his restoration of Heath HR-10 Receiver and he did something I totally disagree with and it did come back to bite him in the rear. He attempted to "re-form" the aluminum can B+ capacitors by bringing it up on a variac. Total waste of time. After he was done he had a receiver with low B+, hum, no sensitivity. ALWAYS assume those caps are bad. Changing them out is a given on typical consumer type gear. I always do that on tube gear before any attempt at power up. Saves time and aggravation. The ONLY exception to this is industrial gear like Tek and HP. Those capacitors are typically much higher quality and some will last damn near forever.

Oh Mr. Carlson - the guy who mispronounces this word -"solder".  >:D
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #44531 on: December 09, 2019, 12:55:50 am »
Slow down you mob 6 pages in 12 hours major verbal diarrhea :-DD

@mnmenth the 6022BL is a good toy but the software sort of sucks. Sold mine to @brumby a while ago >:D :-DD

Also no oil on files for preference as mine get used on all sorts of materials from wood to fiberglass to metals. I think a lot of the sludge on this lot were from oiling then collecting gunk and drying out over time.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #44532 on: December 09, 2019, 12:56:35 am »
Started checking out his videos and he's mostly ham related but interesting. Watched his restoration of Heath HR-10 Receiver and he did something I totally disagree with and it did come back to bite him in the rear. He attempted to "re-form" the aluminum can B+ capacitors by bringing it up on a variac. Total waste of time. After he was done he had a receiver with low B+, hum, no sensitivity. ALWAYS assume those caps are bad. Changing them out is a given on typical consumer type gear. I always do that on tube gear before any attempt at power up. Saves time and aggravation. The ONLY exception to this is industrial gear like Tek and HP. Those capacitors are typically much higher quality and some will last damn near forever.

Oh Mr. Carlson - the guy who mispronounces this word -"solder".  >:D

No this is MIKROWAVE1. But yes, Carlson does say solder weird. He is Canadian after all. Eh?  :-DD

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #44533 on: December 09, 2019, 12:57:20 am »
I am the same about 'mr Carlson', something there doesn't agree with me - but mostly the content is good.
Shariar - totally the opposite - I have to watch his YouTubes in slow-mo so I can catch up! And at the end my head hurts.
D'oh
Rob
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #44534 on: December 09, 2019, 12:58:03 am »

That's what you get for falling asleep.  :-DD

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #44535 on: December 09, 2019, 01:34:15 am »
@mnmenth the 6022BL is a good toy but the software sort of sucks. Sold mine to @brumby a while ago >:D :-DD
+1 on the software suckiness.  Tried a couple of alternatives, but found nothing I am really happy with.

If anyone comes across something that is stable, has a decent UI and some reasonable functionality, then I'd be quite happy to hear about it.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #44536 on: December 09, 2019, 01:35:26 am »

Suck it up, princess.   :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44537 on: December 09, 2019, 02:26:54 am »

Careful I will find you a cheap Anchor and assist you some more  ;)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #44538 on: December 09, 2019, 03:32:13 am »
eBay auction: #143399764461

I wish this isn't quite so expensive...the HP-65 is another bit of programmable RPN goodness that I want.  :-DD

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44539 on: December 09, 2019, 03:41:14 am »
If you must this one is cheaper. Still have NFI why you would pay a premium for an old calculator above what they were worth new ::)

eBay auction: #233310401599

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44540 on: December 09, 2019, 03:46:03 am »

@mnementh the 6022BL is a good toy but the software sort of sucks. Sold mine to @brumby a while ago >:D :-DD

Also no oil on files for preference as mine get used on all sorts of materials from wood to fiberglass to metals. I think a lot of the sludge on this lot were from oiling then collecting gunk and drying out over time.

Been playing with the software. Honestly, no more aggravating than my 1054Zed. ;) Also looking into sigrok's offerings. I figure for $67 it's cheap enough to get me by until my bench is whole again, then I can keep it for the LA when I need concurrent use with my Rigol.

Gummed-up files suck... carding them before storage has always been the prevention for me. But I store in an oilcloth too. ;)

mnem
There I go thinking again... :o
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 04:22:57 am by mnementh »

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44541 on: December 09, 2019, 03:49:06 am »
If you must this one is cheaper. Still have NFI why you would pay a premium for an old calculator above what they were worth new ::)

I am not spending $700 on a calculator. But, if we're going down that rabbit hole...why do we spend $$ on old test equipment no one wants anymore? I like old calculators for the same reason. Especially to trigger nixiefreqq>:D >:D >:D

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44542 on: December 09, 2019, 03:53:52 am »

I am not spending $700 on a calculator. But, if we're going down that rabbit hole...why do we spend $$ on old test equipment no one wants anymore? I like old calculators for the same reason. Especially to trigger nixiefreqq>:D >:D >:D

Generally for Test gear however we pay cents on the $ not 100% of new. Clearly RPN buyers are not so smart

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44543 on: December 09, 2019, 03:56:30 am »

Generally for Test gear however we pay cents on the $ not 100% of new. Clearly RPN buyers are not so smart (Attachment Link)

Clearly, it's triggering you too.  >:D :-DD

I didn't spend anywhere near that for any of the vintage HP calcs I have, and I certainly am not starting now. Dunno why I can't get that message across.  :o

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44544 on: December 09, 2019, 04:07:39 am »
Not triggered and I don't currently use a specific calculator given phone options and even the windoze one on the pc.

As to RPN I never saw the point even when going to Uni 30+ years ago my Casios at the time did all that I needed and worked in line with what I had been taught for a dozen or more years before that.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #44545 on: December 09, 2019, 04:25:23 am »
Perhaps my mind was young and agile, but I had no trouble adapting to RPN.  The only trick is to understand what's in the stack and enter your expression appropriately.  That takes an understanding of the calculation being performed, rather than monkey see, monkey do left-to-right-even-if-its-wrong approach.

Truth is, I can use a full algebraic calculator, an RPN or even a basic boring 4 banger if special functions aren't needed.

I just adapt to the tools available at the time.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #44546 on: December 09, 2019, 04:26:21 am »

Careful I will find you a cheap Anchor and assist you some more  ;)

You don't scare me.  Worry me a little - yes - but not scare me.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44547 on: December 09, 2019, 04:29:04 am »
Perhaps my mind was young and agile, but I had no trouble adapting to RPN.  The only trick is to understand what's in the stack and enter your expression appropriately.  That takes an understanding of the calculation being performed, rather than monkey see, monkey do left-to-right-even-if-its-wrong approach.

Truth is, I can use a full algebraic calculator, an RPN or even a basic boring 4 banger if special functions aren't needed.

I just adapt to the tools available at the time.

mnem

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #44548 on: December 09, 2019, 04:34:16 am »
If that's all that was available...

(I'd probably write in the dirt with a stick   ;D )

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #44549 on: December 09, 2019, 04:35:13 am »
I remember when the HP-45 first came out.  It drew my attention more than the Hope diamond would have.  Then when the 65 appeared, it sent shivers down my spine.  These feelings were made unforgettable as, on separate occasions, I had encountered people who had acquired these machines - and let me hold theirs for a full minute.

I eventually bought an HP-25 of my own and while it had the same oh-so-good feel in the buttons, was never the sleek and sexy machine that was the HP-45.

I'd be interested in getting a 45 - but I'm not forking out the ridiculous sums being asked.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf