Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14784981 times)

factory, Cesar_D, BrianInTexas, Jambalaya, djadeski, K0ELB, klab and 87 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #44550 on: December 09, 2019, 04:41:26 am »
If you must this one is cheaper. Still have NFI why you would pay a premium for an old calculator above what they were worth new ::)

eBay auction: #233310401599

I am not spending $700 on a calculator. But, if we're going down that rabbit hole...why do we spend $$ on old test equipment no one wants anymore? I like old calculators for the same reason. Especially to trigger nixiefreqq>:D >:D >:D

Generally for Test gear however we pay cents on the $ not 100% of new. Clearly RPN buyers are not so smart (Attachment Link)

Clearly, it's triggering you too.  >:D :-DD

I didn't spend anywhere near that for any of the vintage HP calcs I have, and I certainly am not starting now. Dunno why I can't get that message across.  :o

;D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #44551 on: December 09, 2019, 05:49:17 am »

Not.  >:D

mnem
*knocks self unconscious with a clock mallet*
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 02:52:20 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #44552 on: December 09, 2019, 06:46:39 am »
Even though I am not triggered I was sharpening my old home brew knife for possible RPN dissection >:D Electrical conduit handle for added safety. The remaining little chunk out of the blade can wait for the next sharpening but the rest of it is up to shearing this bean.

While doing this resto job I had a recent Mr Carlson's lab running. Yep the tempo is slow but the knowledge and explanations in it are really thorough.  https://youtu.be/Nzutvfbucr0 I am subscribed to his channel but don't watch all the content but if you have a spare 90+ minutes  :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #44553 on: December 09, 2019, 06:59:43 am »
The remaining little chunk out of the blade can wait for the next sharpening but the rest of it is up to shearing this bean.
Ah, not everyone would recognize the source of that knife !  :o

Blade shears ! .......real old fashioned shit....yep I've used a set.....not very successfully !  :palm:

Who wants to be the black sheep of the TEA thread ?  >:D
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #44554 on: December 09, 2019, 07:05:31 am »
Dad and I made a pair of them 40+ years ago which got used in the fishing gear in salt water so they have held up really well in their second lives. I think the other mating one is around somewhere still in the fishing basket most likely.

I would think even most professional shearers wouldn't have a clue how to use them these days.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #44555 on: December 09, 2019, 08:13:24 am »
absolutely. add to that some chemicals that I would definitely stay away from such as hydroflouric acid.

HF is definitely some nasty stuff!  I managed never to cross it back when I worked at National Semi, but as a first aider there did precautionary treatment on a few people that were.  Refrigerated aalcium gluconate goop was applied generously to the affected area, and it didn't look to be a pleasant experience.  (Though my understanding was that calcium shots were even less so.)  Lots of fun things that'll kill you in a semiconductor fab!

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44556 on: December 09, 2019, 08:15:42 am »
I remember when the HP-45 first came out.  It drew my attention more than the Hope diamond would have.  Then when the 65 appeared, it sent shivers down my spine.  These feelings were made unforgettable as, on separate occasions, I had encountered people who had acquired these machines - and let me hold theirs for a full minute.

I eventually bought an HP-25 of my own and while it had the same oh-so-good feel in the buttons, was never the sleek and sexy machine that was the HP-45.

I'd be interested in getting a 45 - but I'm not forking out the ridiculous sums being asked.

I’m using an HP35s because I also refuse to fork out for a mega ton of cash.  :-DD

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #44557 on: December 09, 2019, 08:46:02 am »
Perhaps my mind was young and agile, but I had no trouble adapting to RPN.  The only trick is to understand what's in the stack and enter your expression appropriately.  That takes an understanding of the calculation being performed, rather than monkey see, monkey do left-to-right-even-if-its-wrong approach.

The early "algebraic" calculators were actually half-RPN. If you needed to calculate sin(x+y), you entered x + y sin.

I like the mentality of RPN where effectively you gather all the components together, and thereafter do something with them. The get half, decide to do something, find the other half, complete it mentality is deeply unsatisfying.

Having said that, I can tolerate some of the algebraic calculators on the market - the ones which implement arithmentic correctly using BEDMAS so that 1+2*3=7.

Truth is, I can use a full algebraic calculator, an RPN or even a basic boring 4 banger if special functions aren't needed.

I just adapt to the tools available at the time.

"Doing more with less" is always satisfying.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44558 on: December 09, 2019, 08:47:33 am »
If you must this one is cheaper. Still have NFI why you would pay a premium for an old calculator above what they were worth new ::)

eBay auction: #233310401599

I am not spending $700 on a calculator. But, if we're going down that rabbit hole...why do we spend $$ on old test equipment no one wants anymore? I like old calculators for the same reason. Especially to trigger nixiefreqq>:D >:D >:D

Generally for Test gear however we pay cents on the $ not 100% of new. Clearly RPN buyers are not so smart (Attachment Link)

That will depend on what they can sell them for.

Now, should I sell my working Mac 0001AP?
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44559 on: December 09, 2019, 08:54:20 am »
eBay auction: #143399764461

I wish this isn't quite so expensive...the HP-65 is another bit of programmable RPN goodness that I want.  :-DD

I played with a programmable calculator (portable, bigger than a real brick, with panaplex displays) around 1974. While I can see their use for automating many repetitive simple calculations such as post processing an instrument's readings, I've never wanted one myself, nor have I had to do such calculations.

By the time I needed to do calculations like that spreadsheets were available. Since they enable checking/correcting inputs, recording results, and sensitivity analyses, they always seemed my better.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44560 on: December 09, 2019, 08:56:25 am »

I learned to use an abacus, but not proficiently.

I learned to use a slide rule proficiently, and still have it.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44561 on: December 09, 2019, 08:59:04 am »
I remember when the HP-45 first came out.  It drew my attention more than the Hope diamond would have.  Then when the 65 appeared, it sent shivers down my spine.  These feelings were made unforgettable as, on separate occasions, I had encountered people who had acquired these machines - and let me hold theirs for a full minute.

I remember the HP35, and at university I regularly used the one bolted to the desk in the library.

I have bought one recently for a surprisingly small sum. It came in a custom mahogony case with carrying handle, so clearly it was someone's pride and joy.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #44562 on: December 09, 2019, 01:16:31 pm »
You know THIS?:
https://www.kager-hightemp.com/cold-air-generator/
If your unit manages the flow requirement, you could have bought your last can of cooling spray.

How much €??? Interesting but it looks expensive.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44563 on: December 09, 2019, 02:14:53 pm »
Put an offer in on something hefty and complicated :scared:. Fingers crossed.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44564 on: December 09, 2019, 02:33:56 pm »
Slow down you mob 6 pages in 12 hours major verbal diarrhea :-DD

Suck it up, princess.   :-DD

Ow! Ouch! There appears to be a pea stuck under all the pages of this topic. Oh no, my mistake - it's a green coffee bean.  ;D
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44565 on: December 09, 2019, 02:35:02 pm »
FECK!

free range primate

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, 0culus

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #44566 on: December 09, 2019, 02:46:56 pm »
eBay auction: #143399764461

I wish this isn't quite so expensive...the HP-65 is another bit of programmable RPN goodness that I want.  :-DD

I played with a programmable calculator (portable, bigger than a real brick, with panaplex displays) around 1974. While I can see their use for automating many repetitive simple calculations such as post processing an instrument's readings, I've never wanted one myself, nor have I had to do such calculations.

By the time I needed to do calculations like that spreadsheets were available. Since they enable checking/correcting inputs, recording results, and sensitivity analyses, they always seemed my better.

I program my HP15C and 16C to do repetitive simple things. It's akin to "back of the envelope/napkin" engineering. You will want to use a better computer tool eventually (and for problems that aren't trivially sized), but in a pinch having a small program in your calculator is a time saver. Plus, I find RPN programming intellectually satisfying. I have a CS and math background, after all.  ;)

I have the full up whiz-bang MATLAB professional license with every possible toolbox at work. And Maple. I also have older, but still working, student licenses for both at home.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44567 on: December 09, 2019, 02:50:48 pm »
Indeed. Same. I find my 35s incredibly useful for repetitive calculations and simple problem solving. I've designed filters with it and paper quite happily. No Libreoffice calc in sight  :-DD

For more complicated stuff I use python / libreoffice calc. I did use full blown desktop Wolfram Mathematica until I couldn't get someone else to pay for it  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #44568 on: December 09, 2019, 03:03:46 pm »
Indeed. Same. I find my 35s incredibly useful for repetitive calculations and simple problem solving. I've designed filters with it and paper quite happily. No Libreoffice calc in sight  :-DD

For more complicated stuff I use python / libreoffice calc. I did use full blown desktop Wolfram Mathematica until I couldn't get someone else to pay for it  :-DD

why when I do not have a pocket calculator I always want one because my mobile calculator app sucks, and then when I buy one I always use my phone or PC and I sell the pocket calculator?
Sometime I am so stupid.

EDIT:
https://thomasokken.com/free42/
Maybe one day I will bent my knees to RPN.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 03:10:12 pm by Zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44569 on: December 09, 2019, 03:06:09 pm »
am also looking for a vintage rpn hp calculator.

my plan is to get some of med's tek blue paint and give it a couple of coats.

no need to mask off the keyboard or the display.  it will be more useful without that rubbish anyhow.

hmmmmmm.   in fact.....maybe just dipping it in a bucket of paint would be quicker.

edit   hey med.  will the paint adhere better if i give it a good treatment with some 200 grit?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 03:08:27 pm by nixiefreqq »
free range primate

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44570 on: December 09, 2019, 03:06:45 pm »
   Dad and I made a pair of them 40+ years ago which got used in the fishing gear in salt water so they have held up really well in their second lives. I think the other mating one is around somewhere still in the fishing basket most likely.

I would think even most professional shearers wouldn't have a clue how to use them these days.

*raises hand* I've used them on the farm growing up. Grandmother used them for cleaning the dags off particularly nasty dogs in her grooming business to save burning up the blades on her electric clippers; she taught me how to use them correctly. You have to close the grips with a bit of a twisting motion, so you keep pressure on the blades against each other while at the same time closing the blades to make the cut.  :-+

Even today they'll have their place on a farm I'll wager; a quick snip to clean off a dag or to cut matted burrdocks out of an animal's tail or fetlocks is much less hassle than clippers especially if you're dealing with a skittish colt, etc.

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44571 on: December 09, 2019, 03:08:02 pm »
@Zucca: Need to find a good mobile app  :-DD

@nixiefreqq: can we at least agree on one thing in the calculator rivalry? TI-8x  (other than 85/86) suck :D

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44572 on: December 09, 2019, 03:12:35 pm »
absolutely. add to that some chemicals that I would definitely stay away from such as hydroflouric acid.

HF is definitely some nasty stuff!  I managed never to cross it back when I worked at National Semi, but as a first aider there did precautionary treatment on a few people that were.  Refrigerated aalcium gluconate goop was applied generously to the affected area, and it didn't look to be a pleasant experience.  (Though my understanding was that calcium shots were even less so.)  Lots of fun things that'll kill you in a semiconductor fab!

-Pat

Yeaaaah... I prefer my chemistry to be more recreational than industrial in nature.  :-DD

mnem
*currently having a sordid and unnatural relationship with a everything bagel & too much Philly cream cheese*

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #44573 on: December 09, 2019, 03:24:56 pm »

I've also found that reasoning about a problem in order to program it into my calculator leads to greater understanding of said problem. It's a win-win.  :-+

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44574 on: December 09, 2019, 03:28:36 pm »

I learned to use an abacus, but not proficiently. I learned to use a slide rule proficiently, and still have it.

For the memories (and to bolster my failing memory):      For Tax time:   

mnem

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf