Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15463821 times)

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #44750 on: December 11, 2019, 10:29:00 pm »
I don't want to look at that video, because Nixies do not hold any interest for me, but how did that guy think that this is relevant? It is not a dekatron which counts AND displays. This is a display which has to work well for a lifeform capable of discriminating not even 50 framesa/s. :-//

I believe the display was being built for someone who wanted an in-frame reference clock for use when shooting with a high  speed camera.

Edited to add: Beaten to it.
That makes me think - how are Nixies regarding individual spread of ignition timing? And spread between numbers in one tube?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44751 on: December 11, 2019, 10:33:39 pm »
I don't want to look at that video, because Nixies do not hold any interest for me, but how did that guy think that this is relevant? It is not a dekatron which counts AND displays. This is a display which has to work well for a lifeform capable of discriminating not even 50 framesa/s. :-//

I believe the display was being built for someone who wanted an in-frame reference clock for use when shooting with a high  speed camera.

That makes me think - how are Nixies regarding individual spread of ignition timing? And spread between numbers in one tube?

Erm, that's exactly the question that the video (that doesn't interest you apparently  :) ) sets out to answer by recording the nixie response to various inputs while video recording them at 200,000 fps.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, mnementh, Neomys Sapiens

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #44752 on: December 11, 2019, 11:41:50 pm »

Erm, that's exactly the question that the video (that doesn't interest you apparently  :) ) sets out to answer by recording the nixie response to various inputs while video recording them at 200,000 fps.

Yep.  Maybe watch Dalibor's video?   :-//  I only skimmed it yesterday, but plan to watch the whole thing when I have some time.  <spoiler - already lit tubes change lit digits faster than unlit tubes light them>

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #44753 on: December 12, 2019, 12:13:20 am »

mnem
*wanders off to do... something*

Hey Hoser...here....too help you with your Canadian.  :-DD

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #44754 on: December 12, 2019, 12:58:58 am »
WH...I see you're getting some good advice over here...

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/tektronix-184-restoration/

And it's not surprising that you struck out on the other Tek group. A bunch of old fart primadonna's over there who are tight lipped with info unless you're part of the "in crowd". I found that out years ago when I first got the 2465 DMS. Only once did someone give me some good info on calibrating the Counter/Trigger option without thousands of dollars of TE. The rest of the time it was crickets and I'm sure those clowns were holding out on me. I may be an old fart myself but I'll always freely exchange my knowledge.  :-+   

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, FransW

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #44755 on: December 12, 2019, 01:07:17 am »
In Other News...

I just finished building a IKEA gas-lift storage bed with my son's assistance (not this one, but something similar in maroon woodtone) , and there were no casualties. After that, he MADE his own bed; and again, there were no casualties.  :-DD In a few minutes, I'll go for the Trifecta by putting the kids to bed all by myself.  ;)

mnem
Pray for us all tonight!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 01:08:54 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44756 on: December 12, 2019, 01:11:50 am »

mnem
*wanders off to do... something*

Hey Hoser...here....too help you with your Canadian.  :-DD

I've been watching all their videos... and a unhealthy dose of Red Greene...

mnem
"If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find you handy..."
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 01:18:09 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #44757 on: December 12, 2019, 01:13:37 am »
Wow...you are becoming truly Canuck.  :-DD

Eh?  8)

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #44758 on: December 12, 2019, 01:13:47 am »

And it's not surprising that you struck out on the other Tek group. A bunch of old fart primadonna's over there who are tight lipped with info unless you're part of the "in crowd". I found that out years ago when I first got the 2465 DMS. Only once did someone give me some good info on calibrating the Counter/Trigger option without thousands of dollars of TE. The rest of the time it was crickets and I'm sure those clowns were holding out on me. I may be an old fart myself but I'll always freely exchange my knowledge.  :-+
I have come across a few guys like that and have suspected (rather nastily I am afraid) one of three things.
1 They are hopeless at explaining things
2 They are a bit slow - and it took them so long to accumulate the info they aren't passing it on.
3 It is their only 'claim to fame' - so if they let it out there isn't anything else!
Rob
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44759 on: December 12, 2019, 01:20:33 am »

Eh?  8)

Eh...! hoser! And lay offa muh bee-yerr!!!  :-DD

And let's not forget Uncle Bumblefuck...

mnem
No, wait. PLEASE drink all of it, ehh...?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 01:23:42 am by mnementh »

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #44760 on: December 12, 2019, 01:21:32 am »

Eh?  8)

I won’t start worrying till mnem is using “the handyman’s secret weapon” for repairs in the lab.  :-DD :-DD :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44761 on: December 12, 2019, 01:28:27 am »
I use only the finest MANCO Duck Tape for my empirical engineering (and YES... that IS the correct term, NOT DUCT TAPE. MANCO Invented the stuff) exploits & misadventures... unless Grrilla Glue or Hot-Snot is called for.  ;)

I only resort to the 5-minute epoxy when a more permanent fix is required.  :-DD

mnem
Now what can I fabri-cobble out of this spent helium tank...?

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #44762 on: December 12, 2019, 02:23:17 am »
The limit for the currently negotiated and occupied space is 18RU (at a push).  If someone throws up a rack between 16 and 18RU at price I can't ignore, I might just pull the trigger and see if I survive the fallout.

As it stands, I have the 12RU, the new 27RU as well as the two HUGE Compaq rack cabinets.  I know I can fit it all into the garage without problem, it's just that I'll need to re-org it first.  Not an appealing exercise - especially during the Aussie Summer.
Sounds like multiple-aspect JENGA disorder... quite an advanced case. We'll pray for you! (to have no injuries while you build the obviously necessary addition to your home)  >:D

mnem

Before I started getting some success in acquiring rack housing, I'd asked a friend to keep an eye out.

Today I got an SMS asking if I  wanted this:

(image to come)  Image is here:

I felt morally bound to say Yes.   ;D

Plans for extended doghouse are under way.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 05:09:44 am by Brumby »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44763 on: December 12, 2019, 02:50:41 am »
Almost identical situation on this:      Gonna go see it tomorrow. :palm:

mnem
*time to do the recycles*

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #44764 on: December 12, 2019, 03:58:31 am »

I've posted there four or five times; pretty much fruitless. Once I asked for help on some old plugins (so I could figure out whether they were worth fixing or not) and the only response I got was a guy offering to take them off my hands for shipping.   :wtf:

Anyway, yes, I got some good responses on my 184 post and I will put up more photos and results of the work as it progresses.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 04:45:24 am by worsthorse »
specialization is for insects.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #44765 on: December 12, 2019, 04:32:39 am »

Do you mean TekScopes? Because that's not the experience I've had at all there.  :-// They were extremely helpful when I posted about searching for my first 7000 series mainframe, and I ended up purchasing my 7904A subsequently from list member.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #44766 on: December 12, 2019, 04:54:04 am »

Do you mean TekScopes? Because that's not the experience I've had at all there.  :-// They were extremely helpful when I posted about searching for my first 7000 series mainframe, and I ended up purchasing my 7904A subsequently from list member.

Whatever the old Yahoo group was called. Dunno what it's called now because I left that group way back before Yahoo shut down their groups.

Of course you got good advice because you were interested in BUYING something. An opportunity to make some cash is music to an old farts ears. But ask for advice to FIX something and you'd think you were asking them for their left nut.  :wtf:   

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44767 on: December 12, 2019, 05:07:39 am »

Whatever the old Yahoo group was called. Dunno what it's called now because I left that group way back before Yahoo shut down their groups.

Of course you got good advice because you were interested in BUYING something. An opportunity to make some cash is music to an old farts ears. But ask for advice to FIX something and you'd think you were asking them for their left nut.  :wtf:   

They probably don't want any competition. Buy broken gear, fix it, sell it at premium.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #44768 on: December 12, 2019, 05:12:37 am »

The owner of old Yahoo TekScopes is now moved to group.io -> https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/

Older members automatically subscribed, all you need to activate at group.io.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44769 on: December 12, 2019, 05:58:51 am »
meh.

mnem
*knocks self unconscious with a large slice of 🍋 lemon... wrapped round a gold brick*

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #44770 on: December 12, 2019, 07:58:27 am »

The owner of old Yahoo TekScopes is now moved to group.io -> https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/

When I left that group years ago I asked to be removed from the list because I didn't want to continue to receive the e-mails. But I see now you can opt out from receiving them. Was reading a few posts just for giggles and someone asked if bringing up a 465 on a variac was OK and got a response that the 465 has a switch mode supply and it will damage it. Duh.  :palm: The 465 has a linear supply and luckily someone corrected him. 

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #44771 on: December 12, 2019, 08:28:32 am »

My experience on TekScopes has generally been reasonable. The denizens seem helpful and there is a wealth of information in the archives. The OP (presumably WH) even thanked one person for their response to the question :)

I don't expect an answer to every question I ask, of course.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 08:31:20 am by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #44772 on: December 12, 2019, 08:59:32 am »

When I left that group years ago I asked to be removed from the list because I didn't want to continue to receive the e-mails. But I see now you can opt out from receiving them. Was reading a few posts just for giggles and someone asked if bringing up a 465 on a variac was OK and got a response that the 465 has a switch mode supply and it will damage it. Duh.  :palm: The 465 has a linear supply and luckily someone corrected him.

The reason I'm still subscribing is because it has quite big of photos & files collections library regarding old Tek stuffs.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #44773 on: December 12, 2019, 09:59:05 am »

If that was a thinly disguised hand grenade tossed in my direction it's not too early in the morning for me to catch the sarcasm.

I don't consider myself so self important to expect an answer to every inquiry I made to that group. But when several and unrelated inquiries over a period of time go completely unanswered it sort of makes you wonder. I showered today but do I still stink?   :-//

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #44774 on: December 12, 2019, 10:06:10 am »

If that was a thinly disguised hand grenade tossed in my direction it's not too early in the morning for me to catch the sarcasm.

I don't consider myself so self important to expect an answer to every inquiry I made to that group. But when several and unrelated inquiries over a period of time go completely unanswered it sort of makes you wonder. I showered today but do I still stink?   :-//

It certainly wasn't intended to apply to any one person, but to counteract some of the comments here that I regard as unnecessarily negative w.r.t. TekScopes.

I've posed some questions on this forum that nobody has answered; shrug.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf