Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14907346 times)

wkb, Robert763 and 261 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #44975 on: December 14, 2019, 09:45:17 pm »
Yeah I looked at that other one, its older design I think and its not got the best of enclosures, but the killer for me was that when I checked the actual size, it was to ffing wide  :palm: :palm:

Put it on your med's cart under the 7904. It's probably one of the few MEBBs out there that can actually handle the weight, and all its heat-sinks hang off the back, so thermals should not be a problem. :-+ Also, then you'd get to be a decent bloke covering for one of your mates having a little brain-fart. :P

mnem
*hating all things SMPS ATM* |O

Gee, don't think Specmaster has a 7904...at least he never mentioned one. I have one and so does Oculus. Do you need more caffeine to unscramble your brain?  :-DD

D'OH! That was your 7904/cart:palm: All fixed now.  >:D

Seriously, this effing TV power supply has me ... reviewed oodles of fix scenarios on the usual repair forums, even did the full "factory fix kit"... but it still goes into shutdown after 2-10 minutes and stays that way until it gets cold-cold. Can't find anything getting warm, can't find any rails gone short, all caps in question test well within spec. So far, nothing seems to be drawing excessive current, and I can't detect any signal on the various PROTECT lines, even though they're documented on the board.

Worse... as I go through the schematic, every component I check already has a Sharpie hash on it in red, green, black or blue according to the rail they're on. Somebody (possessed of a reasonably sensible method of attack) has suffered this misery before me.  |O

I just KNOW it's something EFFING STUPID I'm overlooking or just don't have access to full documentation. I have several different issues of the FSM, but it only covers the PSU and a regulator sub-board directly after it to component level. Nothing on the logic, processor, BL inverters or INPUT/TUNER boards; and the diag procedures in it only go down to board level. Also pretty much ZERO info on theory of operation on the PSU/protection feedback circuitry.

It’s all the Poutine  :-DD
That actually looks appealing....I'll have to try it.  :-+
I've not tried a genuine Canadian one.
I haven't tried it yet, either. Perhaps on my next trip up north. Gotta get me some Coffee Crisp and maple sandwich cookies, too. ^-^

I've been in several eateries that have it on the menu... been very tempted to try it. But so far, the dumb blank stares I get when I ask what's in it have severely put me off. Not sure about the Coffee Crisp & maple cookies... they sound yummy though.

Kosmic or 25CPS, can you chime in with some common national brands that are known to be good examples or at least edible...?

mnem
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 09:53:55 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #44976 on: December 14, 2019, 09:53:28 pm »
Welcome to page 1800!

(Non-conformists can celebrate later. >:D)

Does any denizen of this enclave really think of themselves as conformist?

It's all relative... ;D
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #44977 on: December 14, 2019, 09:58:47 pm »
Yeah I looked at that other one, its older design I think and its not got the best of enclosures, but the killer for me was that when I checked the actual size, it was to ffing wide  :palm: :palm:

Put it on your cart under the 7904. It's probably one of the few MEBBs out there that can actually handle the weight, and all its heat-sinks hang off the back, so thermals should not be a problem. :-+

mnem

Gee, don't think Specmaster has a 7904...at least he never mentioned one. I have one and so does Oculus. Do you need more caffeine to unscramble your brain?  :-DD

D'OH! That was your 7904/cart:palm: All fixed now.  >:D

How did my name come into that conversation? :-// I never mentioned that I was interested in that power supply (I'm not).  :palm:

Besides, my cart is custom built. Remember? I don't think the supply would fit anyway.

I think you need to step away from that TV and have a few (many) beers.  >:D :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44978 on: December 14, 2019, 10:40:43 pm »
It wasn't your name, it was your cart dumbass. that I had a brain-fart and accidentally attributed to Spec in my frustration-induced state of distraction, as I JUST COPPED TO ABOVE. You know, the part of my response that you conveniently omitted when you decided to chew on my tail just now.  SMEESH. :palm:

mnem
I don't drink beer anymore... but I DO live where cannabis is legal. Even for recreational use. Hmmmm...
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 10:44:16 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #44979 on: December 14, 2019, 10:54:26 pm »
LOL - that might be pushing it.  You just prompted me to try $35.   :rant:

We'll see what comes of it.

-Pat

roger roger.  will expect an after action report.

is that you who bid on the lightweight freq standard down in charm city?

I got an e-mail this morning from the Bay of Evil.  Apparently someone offered them $40 for it, because it was to inform me that it sold for that amount.

-Pat

Ah, I was monitoring that one before I saw this discussion of it. Good to know how much it went for. Not too bad. I'd like to get one, but am divided between the version with coarse/fine knobs and the one with 10-turn.

Yeah, I know, "get both." I'm trying to cut back... :-DD

Yeah, that someone was me.  :-DD It arrived safely and works a treat.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, Cubdriver

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #44980 on: December 14, 2019, 10:55:30 pm »
It wasn't your name, it was your cart dumbass. that I had a brain-fart and accidentally attributed to Spec in my frustration-induced state of distraction, as I JUST COPPED TO ABOVE. You know, the part of my response that you conveniently omitted when you decided to chew on my tail just now.  SMEESH. :palm:

mnem
I don't drink beer anymore... but I DO live where cannabis is legal. Even for recreational use. Hmmmm...

Whoa, whoa...now I'm not entirely sure if this is in jest or not, but if it isn't, may I suggest taking a deep breath? Let's not call each other names here. Thanks!  :-+

The following users thanked this post: nixiefreqq

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44981 on: December 14, 2019, 11:09:27 pm »

I'm just going to leave this here as a public service announcement.

I don't know what the fuck it is or possibly more appropriately what it was to be honest. They adopted it. It lives in the house with them. Also a three legged fox and a furry thing I can't make out but it looks like a critter from that 80s film. And a large selection of magical hoo har whiff whaff ding dong crystals that can channel energy through space and time and heal your jock itch if you arrange them correctly like an asgardian control panel in stargate.

Show this to anyone who thinks "hey I'll do some weed now it's legal" or in my case "hey I'll date someone who does weed". Do you want to end up having to share a house with that ugly motherfucker? Because that's what will happen.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 11:11:02 pm by bd139 »

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44982 on: December 14, 2019, 11:19:45 pm »
LOL - that might be pushing it.  You just prompted me to try $35.   :rant:

We'll see what comes of it.

-Pat

roger roger.  will expect an after action report.

is that you who bid on the lightweight freq standard down in charm city?

I got an e-mail this morning from the Bay of Evil.  Apparently someone offered them $40 for it, because it was to inform me that it sold for that amount.

-Pat

Ah, I was monitoring that one before I saw this discussion of it. Good to know how much it went for. Not too bad. I'd like to get one, but am divided between the version with coarse/fine knobs and the one with 10-turn.

Yeah, I know, "get both." I'm trying to cut back... :-DD

glad it arrived in good shape.  mine lacks the concentric controls and has a rocker switch.  still.....it has turned out to be one of my favorite pieces of TE.

hope you like yours as much.

ps  already changed out the 1k 5W bleeder resistors with 3.3k, and swapped the 135 ohm 5W resistors in series with the 4.32V zeners for 220 ohm.  it does seem to produce much less heat now.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 11:37:21 pm by nixiefreqq »
free range primate

The following users thanked this post: kj7e

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44983 on: December 14, 2019, 11:27:21 pm »

I don't know what the fuck it is or possibly more appropriately what it was to be honest.

Oh, that's easy. It's one of the turkeys that got pardoned a few weeks back, seen immediately after someone had explained that although he'd been pardoned he needn't worry that he was going to miss out on the "stuffing".
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Andy Watson, bd139

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44984 on: December 14, 2019, 11:30:25 pm »
Hahaha :-DD

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44985 on: December 14, 2019, 11:51:48 pm »
@mnem: what is the controller IC?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44986 on: December 15, 2019, 12:09:13 am »

mnem

Whoa, whoa...now I'm not entirely sure if this is in jest or not, but if it isn't, may I suggest taking a deep breath? Let's not call each other names here. Thanks!  :-+

Naaah... med's been a bit "teenagers on the playground aggro" over the top directly aimed at me for a few days now; go look at his post history. I was just giving a little of the same back at him.

I have no intention of escalating and he's a a big boy; he can handle one little .

mnem
 8)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44987 on: December 15, 2019, 12:13:27 am »
I'm just going to leave this here as a public service announcement.      I don't know what the fuck it is or possibly more appropriately what it was to be honest. They adopted it. It lives in the house with them. Also a three legged fox and a furry thing I can't make out but it looks like a critter from that 80s film. And a large selection of magical hoo har whiff whaff ding dong crystals that can channel energy through space and time and heal your jock itch if you arrange them correctly like an asgardian control panel in stargate.

Show this to anyone who thinks "hey I'll do some weed now it's legal" or in my case "hey I'll date someone who does weed". Do you want to end up having to share a house with that ugly motherfucker? Because that's what will happen.

Jeezus H. Christ a-hoppin' on a pogo stick bd... you gonna pull some Reefer Madness excerpts out next...?  :palm: Just because you have some burnout neighbors who toke does NOT mean everybody who tokes is a burnout, FFS. 

Mom was a hippie. She toked. She was also one of the most intelligent and productivity-oriented people on the planet; she earned two degrees while she made her way in the world and raised me as a single parent. She taught me right from wrong, a strong work ethic and that just like alcohol, you don't imbibe anywhere but in the privacy and safety of the home, and you don't EVER drive, work or do anything where impairment could endanger someone else.

I stopped toking when I met my wife because she didn't like it, and I was just an occasional social user anyways by that time. Cannabis is no more dangerous than alcohol. Period. The ONLY real damage any legitimate studies have proven is long-term memory loss from chronic, excessive abuse... as in chain-smoking the shit... and shockingly, even THAT has its parallel in alcoholics. It doesn't kill brain cells like alcohol does, and aside from some numb-nuts who lace it with other drugs, you don't ever hear of people getting high on pot and shooting up a bar or beating someone to death. You can't say that about booze.

The world is full of addictive personalities, man; some people choose doobie. End of story. :-//

mnem
[/ :rant: mode]

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44988 on: December 15, 2019, 12:30:43 am »
@mnem: what is the controller IC?

What, on the PSU? It's a stone-age Toshiba LCD flatscreen; a huge PSU board with multiple individual regulator ICs for each of the rails. Looks like it has no supervisor IC; just the set's micro running the menus and source selection. Still trying to figure out what it monitors for run/shutdown. :-//

What's infuriating is that when it runs, it has a gorgeous picture. It was one of their flagship sets back then.
mnem
 |O

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44989 on: December 15, 2019, 12:47:03 am »
@mnem: I’d love for you to spend half an hour with my aunt who worked in an NHS mental health unit for 30 years until someone stabbed her in the face with a pen because she wouldn’t go and buy him some. It’s ok because it doesn’t hurt most people is terrible logic. The 10% it does affect badly destroys the lives of more than just themselves. It’s also not about addictive personalities. The stuff acts as a damage amplifier for underlying mental health issues.

Alcohol is just as terrible. But socially acceptable.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44990 on: December 15, 2019, 01:02:16 am »
Kosmic or 25CPS, can you chime in with some common national brands that are known to be good examples or at least edible...?

Brands of what ? candy bar or poutine ?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44991 on: December 15, 2019, 01:07:20 am »
@mnem: I’d love for you to spend half an hour with my aunt who worked in an NHS mental health unit for 30 years until someone stabbed her in the face with a pen because she wouldn’t go and buy him some. It’s ok because it doesn’t hurt most people is terrible logic. The 10% it does affect badly destroys the lives of more than just themselves. It’s also not about addictive personalities. The stuff acts as a damage amplifier for underlying mental health issues.

Alcohol is just as terrible. But socially acceptable.
My mother worked in as a nurse in Western Psych for 15 years, and went on to get her Master's in Psychology with a focus on social rehab & counseling. I expect she knew a wee bit better than you the physiology and the psychology involved. ;)

Sorry; the cause and effect in your logic is just totally out to lunch; a byproduct of the constant "social normalization" propaganda we're all barraged with every hour of every day. THC is a non-addictive chemical. Some people develop dependencies; they may choose THC as their drug of choice. Some choose alcohol, or sugar, or caffeine, or other people or adrenaline. 

Please don't make overbroad generalizations then try to support them by using some horrific event to create a false equivalency. We should know better; we're grownups. ;)

Cheers,

mnem
*movie time widda boi*

The following users thanked this post: Marck

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44992 on: December 15, 2019, 01:09:58 am »
Read it again.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #44993 on: December 15, 2019, 01:12:00 am »
And yet I have known two people my age who committed effective suicide with long term alcoholism  :'( I was employing one of his Daughters during the last few years of his so called existence on the planet and then his body quit organ at a time. Dead at age 48 no way he would listen or be told what he was doing to himself and his family that still had a relationship with him.

Pot does not do this period and agreed a small percentage of humans (nothing like 10%) have adverse mental health issues due to underlying causes in most cases (not all). The illegality until fairly recently in most countries has made actual data more than rubbery so statistics on the anti are over inflated to hell and on the pro side almost certainly under reported due to the legal status of consumption. That's before you get into the large scale criminal side of illegal production. Tax it, study it but most of all get some facts on it.

A regular consumer of one and a very very occasional partaker of the other if offered in a social setting.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44994 on: December 15, 2019, 01:14:25 am »

All of the above. Poutine, Coffee Crisp, Maple Cookies... I'm a damned Yankee from the uncultured US. The restaurants & Canadian brands of common comestibles all look the same to me. Hell, I don't even know which brand of milk is supposed to be "the good stuff", and it ALL tastes different than I'm used to.  :-DD

mnem
*uncivilized*

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44995 on: December 15, 2019, 01:17:35 am »
Give the US 20 years. It’ll be a good medical study.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44996 on: December 15, 2019, 01:18:56 am »

Put it on your cart under the 7904. It's probably one of the few MEBBs out there that can actually handle the weight, and all its heat-sinks hang off the back, so thermals should not be a problem. :-+

mnem

Yeah, just got back from the family annual Xmas dinner in memory of my late Father in Law's birthday and I just logged in and saw this, you are correct I don't have a 7904, don't have either the need or the space for one,  :phew: What is a MEBB anyway, I've never heard that one before??
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44997 on: December 15, 2019, 01:20:10 am »

All of the above. Poutine, Coffee Crisp, Maple Cookies... I'm a damned Yankee from the uncultured US. The restaurants & Canadian brands of common comestibles all look the same to me. Hell, I don't even know which brand of milk is supposed to be "the good stuff", and it ALL tastes different than I'm used to.  :-DD

mnem
*uncivilized*

Ha … I have no idea. I thought we all had the same products (brands) across north America  :-//

There is no Coffee Crisp in the USA ?

Milk is different since they favor local producers. So brands vary a lot with region.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #44998 on: December 15, 2019, 01:22:28 am »
Context: HP 6227A listing on eBay

glad it arrived in good shape.  mine lacks the concentric controls and has a rocker switch.  still.....it has turned out to be one of my favorite pieces of TE.

hope you like yours as much.

ps  already changed out the 1k 5W bleeder resistors with 3.3k, and swapped the 135 ohm 5W resistors in series with the 4.32V zeners for 220 ohm.  it does seem to produce much less heat now.

The concentric-knob version is the coarse/fine variant, whereas yours is the newer, 10-turn, variant. Good that you did the kj7e enhancement. It sure beats wasting so much power as heat.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44999 on: December 15, 2019, 01:24:50 am »
Read it again.

I just did. I stand by my statement. Your aunt was stabbed in the face by an unstable individual in a psychiatric institution. My mother was stabbed in the arm, and kicked, and punched numerous times. BY people who were PSYCHIATRIC PATIENTS.

The drugs involved are of secondary importance to the mental illness at hand. Understanding THAT is the first step to curing the addictive behavior and the illness that causes relapse.

Cheers,

mnem
"Zo... 'ow does zees make you feel...?"
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 03:03:47 am by mnementh »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf