Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14559741 times)

TERRA Operative, Ice-Tea and 39 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #45075 on: December 15, 2019, 11:23:28 pm »
Tempting:

https://www.amazon.com/Art-Electronics-x-Chapters/dp/1108499945

A bit more than tempting. For me at least, it's an essential. When the last edition of The Art of Electronics came out I was at the stage where I hadn't done any electronics for ages and felt the need of a bit of revision. So I essentially read the thing cover to cover. I kept on running across lots of bits like "For more details on <subject in hand> see Xchapter <whatever>." Every bloody time it was pointing to what I felt I needed to learn next, every bloody time. There were dozens of hints that exactly what I wanted to know was hidden away in those bloody X chapters. I've been waiting ages for the thing.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #45076 on: December 15, 2019, 11:35:25 pm »
Ahhh... so there's a "light" & "dark" variety? I'll keep an eye out for "The Dark Side" of maple syrpple ; that's usually where I feel most comfortable anyways. :-DD I guess the "light" is marketed for all those "Wonder White Bread" conservatives in the area (there are just oodles... seriously  :palm:) who can't tolerate actual FLAVOR.  :P

Okay... so like lasagna then. The only decent lasagna I've ever had at a chain was Tony Roma's. Well... that requires me to be in a bit more of an adventurous spirit; something to set aside for the New Year, methinks. Now is definitely the time for "family traditional" food-wise.

mnem
*Poke'-time*

I personally find dark amber maple syrup cloyingly sweet.  Not a big fan of maple syrup to begin with but I do prefer the light amber.  Mrs GreyWoolfe always gives me grief as I prefer my pancakes with just butter.   Lasagna from a restaurant?  My dearly departed mother would rise up from her grave and smack me in the back of the head.  Lasagna (Mrs GreyWoolfe) and stuffed shells( me) are homemade only.  Along with proper 3 meat meatballs and my famous marinara sauce.  If rumor has truth and Mrs GreyWoolfe's oldest daughter and son in law gift us a Kitchenaide stand mixer for Christmas, I will get the pasta and meat grinder attachments and try my hand at making my own Italian hot sausage.

When I get tired of the cold (not there yet ;) ) I'm gonna Snowbird it to your house. Sweet italian sausage for me, though...  >:D

I grew up in the land of Clover, Wildflower, Buckwheat and, believe it or not, Blueberry blossom honey. There is no such thing as too sweet for the ol' dwagon's biscuits, baklava, & oatmeal. :-DD

mnem
*slips into a diabetic coma just thinking about it*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45077 on: December 15, 2019, 11:41:03 pm »
...I'm gonna Snowbird it to your house. ...

I believe, according to AvE, that the new, approved, terminology is Snow Mexican.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #45078 on: December 15, 2019, 11:42:28 pm »
FYI,

we TEA just got mentioned in the last amphour episode:

https://theamphour.com/470-just-add-salt/

we need to do our own podcast!

We're famous, it's at about 15 m into the podcast.  :clap:

Fuck. I'm out.

mnem
Been nice knowin' yazz.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45080 on: December 16, 2019, 12:31:28 am »
FYI,

Fuck. I'm out.

mnem
Been nice knowin' yazz.
It was only a couple seconds long before they moved onto other topics, so, we clearly not that famous yet...
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #45081 on: December 16, 2019, 12:43:22 am »
FYI,

Fuck. I'm out.

mnem
Been nice knowin' yazz.
It was only a couple seconds long before they moved onto other topics, so, we clearly not that famous yet...
Yep hardly a mention and none of us by name.  :phew:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45082 on: December 16, 2019, 12:55:24 am »
Can you imagine a TEA podcast? That’s be pretty good.

Sort of like soldersmoke. But less radio and just as much cranky old stuff (including the participants  :-DD)

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #45083 on: December 16, 2019, 01:03:49 am »
Ahhh... so there's a "light" & "dark" variety? I'll keep an eye out for "The Dark Side" of maple syrpple ; that's usually where I feel most comfortable anyways. :-DD I guess the "light" is marketed for all those "Wonder White Bread" conservatives in the area (there are just oodles... seriously  :palm:) who can't tolerate actual FLAVOR.  :P

Okay... so like lasagna then. The only decent lasagna I've ever had at a chain was Tony Roma's. Well... that requires me to be in a bit more of an adventurous spirit; something to set aside for the New Year, methinks. Now is definitely the time for "family traditional" food-wise.

mnem
*Poke'-time*

I personally find dark amber maple syrup cloyingly sweet.  Not a big fan of maple syrup to begin with but I do prefer the light amber.  Mrs GreyWoolfe always gives me grief as I prefer my pancakes with just butter.   Lasagna from a restaurant?  My dearly departed mother would rise up from her grave and smack me in the back of the head.  Lasagna (Mrs GreyWoolfe) and stuffed shells( me) are homemade only.  Along with proper 3 meat meatballs and my famous marinara sauce.  If rumor has truth and Mrs GreyWoolfe's oldest daughter and son in law gift us a Kitchenaide stand mixer for Christmas, I will get the pasta and meat grinder attachments and try my hand at making my own Italian hot sausage.

When I get tired of the cold (not there yet ;) ) I'm gonna Snowbird it to your house. Sweet italian sausage for me, though...  >:D

I grew up in the land of Clover, Wildflower, Buckwheat and, believe it or not, Blueberry blossom honey. There is no such thing as too sweet for the ol' dwagon's biscuits, baklava, & oatmeal. :-DD

mnem
*slips into a diabetic coma just thinking about it*

Door's always open.  Just give a bit of warning so I can corral the canines so you can come in the door.  Bring SWMBO and the kiddies, we're used to cooking large.  Oh yeah, Tupperware also so you can take some leftovers. ;D
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #45084 on: December 16, 2019, 02:17:33 am »
FYI,

Fuck. I'm out.

mnem
Been nice knowin' yazz.

Curious what will happened if Dave blab about TEA in his EEVBlab video ?  :scared:

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #45085 on: December 16, 2019, 03:42:34 am »
We'd get 12 pages of posts every night for a week (at least).

I pity those who only visit here every few days!!  It's bad enough as it is for those of us who check in daily.

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #45086 on: December 16, 2019, 05:03:07 am »
I unboxed the HP DMM this evening. Had low expectations on this one as it was "parts, not working" on ebay and I paid $85 for it, including shipping. I was pleasantly surprised to hear the fan spin up when I plugged it in:

890466-0

All the switch buttons light up and a quick check of the two wire resistance and DC voltage (up to 10V, at least) look good. The outside is a little rough but the buttons and connectors are all in good shape and it even has three of the four original feet, including both front wire bails.  :-+

I have to set it aside until next week as I am heading out to help my folks for several days. I am looking forward to digging into the manual and figuring out if I can do a rough and ready calibration.
specialization is for insects.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, kj7e, beanflying, Kosmic

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #45087 on: December 16, 2019, 06:31:03 am »
Another tough afternoons 'work' on my new Plunge saw track. Keeping on the straight and narrow with the assistance of Beer and Vitamin D. Only off by 0.5mm in 1400mm but chase it out for an easier life in use later. Suck it up Northerners too your Sun will come back eventually :-DD

There is a TEA component at the end of this with some new shelves  ;)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45088 on: December 16, 2019, 09:13:41 am »
I unboxed the HP DMM this evening. Had low expectations on this one as it was "parts, not working" on ebay and I paid $85 for it, including shipping. I was pleasantly surprised to hear the fan spin up when I plugged it in:

(Attachment Link)

All the switch buttons light up and a quick check of the two wire resistance and DC voltage (up to 10V, at least) look good. The outside is a little rough but the buttons and connectors are all in good shape and it even has three of the four original feet, including both front wire bails.  :-+

I have to set it aside until next week as I am heading out to help my folks for several days. I am looking forward to digging into the manual and figuring out if I can do a rough and ready calibration.

Its looking realy promising, good catch
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #45090 on: December 16, 2019, 09:28:48 am »

What software do they use, any idea?
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45091 on: December 16, 2019, 09:36:08 am »

What software do they use, any idea?

I think they just use Skype and record one end.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45092 on: December 16, 2019, 11:55:44 am »
Jackpot. I don't usually buy component lots but I couldn't resist this one. Lots of nice parts in it for test gear. Got quite a few Kemet tants, lots of high K ceramics, polystyrene caps, NP0 ceramics, CDE silver micas all sorts! All unused!

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Zucca, BU508A, Specmaster, Kosmic

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45093 on: December 16, 2019, 01:20:44 pm »
This is the 'downsizing' that you keep speaking about so often, yes?  >:D

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45094 on: December 16, 2019, 01:39:28 pm »
Yeah. That’s the one. I am a complete failure. That’s a power supply, counter and a stack of parts this week already  :palm:

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45095 on: December 16, 2019, 01:39:53 pm »
Tempting:

https://www.amazon.com/Art-Electronics-x-Chapters/dp/1108499945

A bit more than tempting.

I sucessfully ended the temptation.
Preorder done.

I haven't pre-ordered yet, although I've been tempted to. Two reasons: (1) I'm loath to give Amazon any money if I can avoid it, not until the bastards start acting more like a decent corporate citizen in terms of treating their staff fairly, paying some taxes and little things like that, (2) I'd much rather the money went to propping up the single remaining local bookshop while they are still there to prop up. We used to have 6 bookshops within a short drive, two of them large, now we have one small single storefront bookshop.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45096 on: December 16, 2019, 01:55:19 pm »
I’ll wait for the second printing i think.

As for book shops, we basically have Waterstones and Bernard Black. So amazon it is.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45097 on: December 16, 2019, 01:57:56 pm »

Sort of like soldersmoke. But less radio and just as much cranky old stuff (including the participants  :-DD)

It strikes me that the sheer mixture of accents would give it a unique flavour. There's thee and me, two Londoners who sound remarkably like each other (TEA passim), an Essex lad, a bunch of Germans, I suspect Mnem has a  New Yexican accent, more New Yorkers, a Jersey Boy, at least one British Northerner, a couple of Italians, and then there's all the antipodeans. The only word that we would all pronounce in the same way would be beer/bier.

It'd be like the UN without the simultaneous translation and the mutual seething loathing...

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, bitseeker, BU508A, Specmaster, bd139

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #45098 on: December 16, 2019, 02:26:56 pm »

It strikes me that the sheer mixture of accents would give it a unique flavour. There's thee and me, two Londoners who sound remarkably like each other (TEA passim), an Essex lad, a bunch of Germans, I suspect Mnem has a  New Yexican accent, more New Yorkers, a Jersey Boy, at least one British Northerner, a couple of Italians, and then there's all the antipodeans. The only word that we would all pronounce in the same way would be beer/bier.

It'd be like the UN without the simultaneous translation and the mutual seething loathing...

No Geordie here around?  :D

« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 02:28:27 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #45099 on: December 16, 2019, 02:33:13 pm »
Really, no. I've noticed since I moved here that while foodstuffs are about 25% more expensive (even including the exchange rate) than the US, the baseline quality is exponentially higher. I think it's just a cultural difference in what is "normal" here.
mnem
*Poke'-time*

It's interesting you say that.  I've noticed the same thing as well and a number of my American friends who visit frequently have made the same observation too.

Anyways, last night, I spent some time finishing off some work on my new work area in the basement and got power run and hooked up to a lot of gear that's been out of action for a while.  It was nice to fire up and test equipment that's been off for a long time and make sure it all still works properly.  The next thing to do is get that 3580a and that function generator on the bench and give them a spin.  Just need to find the time off work.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf