Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14561301 times)

chronos42, 6h8c, factory and 25 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #47350 on: January 18, 2020, 03:45:17 pm »
Gratuitous RPN p0rn...mmmmmm  8)    >:D >:D >:D >:D

In here... is there really any such thing as gratuitous RPN pr0n...? I'd say the RPN/Algebraic logic debate is a part of the firmament; as vital to the lifeblood of the place as CROs and nixie tubes.:-DD

mnem
Left-handed Latvian Rodeo Torture FTW.  >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47351 on: January 18, 2020, 03:57:15 pm »
The 858D is another of the "fan in the handle" models... I personally hate them. Much prefer the "hose-job" models; you can feel the work better without the vibration.

mnem
 :bullshit:
I have a 858 with the fan in the handle and I know not what is this vibration you mention?  Mine is nice and vibration free and as for feel the work,  :-// how do you do that, its contactless its the air that does the work  >:D

Have you ever had a decent remote-pump model?  There is always vibration from the fan. When it's just you and the airflow and the much lighter handle, you get tactile feedback from the backpressure (or lack thereof) against the work. You can actually feel it as you pass the airflow over higher and lower surfaces. Also, having the air source remotely located allows you to use your hearing better as well; listening for the faint crackle as the solder liquefies and the part pops loose becomes second nature.

mnem
*subtleTEA*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47352 on: January 18, 2020, 04:05:20 pm »
A while back there was someone on here looking for a +18V/-18V power pack...       I fucking HATE you. ;)
mnem
Does not care! Besides, I need a clean PS, not a switcher.

I don't care what YOU needed... You jinxed me, ya manky git!!!  :-DD   I've been beating my head against this little POS all afternoon; every single component tests good (to the extent I can test) yet it still refuses to start up.  |O

mnem
I need less Mexican flavor.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #47353 on: January 18, 2020, 04:10:58 pm »
in future.......please hide your shame.

A good workbench is one with a (HP) RPN calculator on it. ;)

Out of curiousity I've bought 3 pieces with 0.3%.
Values: 4300pF, 5900pF and 8000pF (0.5% this one)

My DER DE5000 should coming by end of month so I can do some measurements. :)
give a little box C to the voltnutz and let them do their hobby,
so you get a trustful set for calibration. Or visit me on the makerfaire hannover, right side from my bunch of oldies is always the calibration table from the PTB  :)
Henrik have enough cal bells + whistles to do that for you.  :)  (if not you get a free chair on my Hickok Digital System  ;D )

Honestly, I would come to Hannover if it wasn't at the other end of the republic.
I'm living in the southwest part of Germany, near to France and Switzerland.

Edit: Typos
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 04:17:08 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #47354 on: January 18, 2020, 04:15:16 pm »
Better still, put a cherry bomb in the DVD drive and light it.  ;D

Cherry bomb?  :-//

When it comes to a "cherry bomb", I'm always thinking about this song:

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47355 on: January 18, 2020, 04:42:36 pm »

Not shameful if the whole country likes it that way, and Germans do - allegedly.  ;)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47356 on: January 18, 2020, 04:49:07 pm »
I am going to invoice him for this. That will make him fuck off.

If, like me, you've got a "Consultancy - things I don't want to do and have had pushed on me" rate, and if it's anything like my rate then Cousin Scrooge would be able to  buy a nice top-of-the-line notebook and have change left over for the billed fee. In my case it's three times my day rate for a 3 month+ contract.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #47357 on: January 18, 2020, 04:50:03 pm »

Not shameful if the whole country likes it that way, and Germans do - allegedly.  ;)

Some of us (including me) better don't.

;)

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47358 on: January 18, 2020, 05:31:28 pm »
[...] When it's just you and the airflow and the much lighter handle, you get tactile feedback from the backpressure (or lack thereof) against the work. You can actually feel it as you pass the airflow over higher and lower surfaces. Also, having the air source remotely located allows you to use your hearing better as well; listening for the faint crackle as the solder liquefies and the part pops loose becomes second nature.

You, Sir, are an artist.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47359 on: January 18, 2020, 05:39:35 pm »
Sounds about right for HA. They're all bastards. Solution:

Probably the best film ever made IMHO.
I have to agree on that.

My mother called Brazil  "Gilliam's Imperfuk'd Masterpiece". I concur.

mnem
" This is your receipt for your husband... and this is my receipt for your receipt..."

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47360 on: January 18, 2020, 05:46:00 pm »
Ugh weekend two of Windows 10 upgrade hell. First weekend failure because the damn CPU won’t support Windows 10 fixed with cheap eBay core 2 jobby and now the WiFi card has no fucking drivers for Windows 10. So off to bloody Argos to buy a TP link piece of shit. This is all because the cretin who I am related to, who is incidentally wading knee deep in cash, is too cheap to buy a fucking new PC.

Edit: oh and now he’s going on about getting on WhatsApp for family photos but doesn’t want to spend more than £50 on the problem.  Currently has an ass end Nokia from the dark ages but doesn’t want a smartphone.

Don't forget to add a line item for "consortium consultancy fee" since you brought the issue here; this should equal ~300% of the value of the entire ticket.  ;)

mnem
*Certifiable Committee Commtitted*

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47361 on: January 18, 2020, 05:50:06 pm »
If, like me, you've got a "Consultancy - things I don't want to do and have had pushed on me" rate, and if it's anything like my rate then Cousin Scrooge would be able to  buy a nice top-of-the-line notebook and have change left over for the billed fee. In my case it's three times my day rate for a 3 month+ contract.

LOL IRL...  :-DD

I KNEW we were all the same sort of curmudgeon. I posted the above before I ever saw this...  >:D

mnem
*Passes around the apricot brandy for old times' sake*

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #47362 on: January 18, 2020, 05:52:01 pm »
Checked out my 53310A a bit today. It's a little dirty and there's some burn-in on the CRT, but still looks good. Man it's bigger than I was expecting. Much wider than my 8560E, but fortunately not as long.

Can it perform an FM deviation measurement? If it does can you show me a pic of that screen? I want a unit that will do that measurement directly.

It measures peak-to-peak frequency deviation directly, so you can easily get FM deviation from that.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47363 on: January 18, 2020, 06:01:39 pm »
Ugh weekend two of Windows 10 upgrade hell. First weekend failure because the damn CPU won’t support Windows 10 fixed with cheap eBay core 2 jobby and now the WiFi card has no fucking drivers for Windows 10. So off to bloody Argos to buy a TP link piece of shit. This is all because the cretin who I am related to, who is incidentally wading knee deep in cash, is too cheap to buy a fucking new PC.

Edit: oh and now he’s going on about getting on WhatsApp for family photos but doesn’t want to spend more than £50 on the problem.  Currently has an ass end Nokia from the dark ages but doesn’t want a smartphone.

Don't forget to add a line item for "consortium consultancy fee" since you brought the issue here; this should equal ~300% of the value of the entire ticket.  ;)

mnem

£700 invoice will be issued  :-DD  I don’t expect payment just the point to be got :)

Well an interesting thing happened. The USB ports were so slow they were unusable. Turns out the first generation USB Microsoft natural keyboard fucks the entire USB bus to 1.0 if plugged in. It has two heads so got rammed in the PS2 port instead now all the USB2 ports work. Never seen that before!

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47364 on: January 18, 2020, 06:15:59 pm »
[...] When it's just you and the airflow and the much lighter handle, you get tactile feedback from the backpressure (or lack thereof) against the work. You can actually feel it as you pass the airflow over higher and lower surfaces. Also, having the air source remotely located allows you to use your hearing better as well; listening for the faint crackle as the solder liquefies and the part pops loose becomes second nature.

You, Sir, are an artist.
Don't encourage him, please...... >:D
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47365 on: January 18, 2020, 06:25:11 pm »

mnem

£700 invoice will be issued  :-DD  I don’t expect payment just the point to be got :)

Well an interesting thing happened. The USB ports were so slow they were unusable. Turns out the first generation USB Microsoft natural keyboard fucks the entire USB bus to 1.0 if plugged in. It has two heads so got rammed in the PS2 port instead now all the USB2 ports work. Never seen that before!
Did you run the compatibility check programme first?. I'd have been inclined to have just said that it failed the compatibility test and returned it to him told hi  to go and something that will run correctly with Win 10.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #47366 on: January 18, 2020, 06:37:57 pm »
Checked out my 53310A a bit today. It's a little dirty and there's some burn-in on the CRT, but still looks good. Man it's bigger than I was expecting. Much wider than my 8560E, but fortunately not as long.

Can it perform an FM deviation measurement? If it does can you show me a pic of that screen? I want a unit that will do that measurement directly.

I'd assume it could, but it's a totally new piece of gear to me. You might call it an educational acquisition. (TEA provides many educational opportunities.) There isn't a screen specifically named that way as you might see on a radio analyzer.

It measures peak-to-peak frequency deviation directly, so you can easily get FM deviation from that.

Can you post some pics (or a short description) how that would be done to see if that'd help xrunner determine if it satisfies his requirement?
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #47367 on: January 18, 2020, 06:39:43 pm »

mnem

You didn't know that? I thought it was common knowledge. The USB will always default to the slowest standard device plugged into it.

Edit....you were lucky the keyboard also had a PS/2 type connector.....as well as the computer.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 06:42:13 pm by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47368 on: January 18, 2020, 06:48:46 pm »

You, Sir, are an artist.

I don't know about that... but I do consider myself a craftsman. Last of a dying breed, I fear... people who actually enjoy working with their hands. :palm:

Craftsman lifehack # 327B:

While unboxing our new king-size mattress from Amazon, I split a fingernail well up into the quick. Fold it back down, a drop of CA. If it's a really long split like this one, apply a little wad of cotton from a Q-tip about the size of a match-head to the wet CA; add another drop and press the excess out with a flat of a knife. The fibers will reinforce the CA enough that the nail can grow out before the CA "blowout patch" fails. :-+

mnem
*Not just another pretty face*
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 06:52:51 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, Specmaster, syau

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #47369 on: January 18, 2020, 06:50:18 pm »
Well done claw patch, mnem.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47370 on: January 18, 2020, 06:58:27 pm »
I'm pretty particular about 'em; if they get in the way I feel like I'm "working with a hand tied behind my back". I cannot fathom people like this:

I'd KILL MYSELF if I had to work like that; definitely a priority "thing" on the "My Personal HELL" list...  :palm:

mnem
Along with mimes. Totally.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #47371 on: January 18, 2020, 06:58:38 pm »

I'd assume it could, but it's a totally new piece of gear to me. You might call it an educational acquisition. (TEA provides many educational opportunities.) There isn't a screen specifically named that way as you might see on a radio analyzer.

Can you post some pics (or a short description) how that would be done to see if that'd help xrunner determine if it satisfies his requirement?

Pics a little later, but there is a direct measurement (shift function) on the front panel to measure pk-pk deviation in both modulation domain and histogram modes. Can also be done with markers.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #47372 on: January 18, 2020, 07:01:52 pm »

You, Sir, are an artist.

I don't know about that... but I do consider myself a craftsman. Last of a dying breed, I fear... people who actually enjoy working with their hands. :palm:

Craftsman lifehack # 327B:

While unboxing our new king-size mattress from Amazon, I split a fingernail well up into the quick. Fold it back down, a drop of CA. If it's a really long split like this one, apply a little wad of cotton from a Q-tip about the size of a match-head to the wet CA; add another drop and press the excess out with a flat of a knife. The fibers will reinforce the CA enough that the nail can grow out before the CA "blowout patch" fails. :-+

mnem
*Not just another pretty face*
So you're really a wimp of a dwagon then !  :box:
Real men would just tear the split bit off, suck the blood for a bit and carry on like nutthing ever happened.  ::)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #47373 on: January 18, 2020, 07:05:06 pm »

W10 on a 2 core ?  :wtf:
Who thought that might be a good idea ?  :scared:

Wouldn't touch that one with a 40' barge pole !
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #47374 on: January 18, 2020, 07:09:07 pm »

So you're really a wimp of a dwagon then !  :box:
Real men would just tear the split bit off, suck the blood for a bit and carry on like nutthing ever happened.  ::)

Those are the same men that the sheep are afraid of.  :P :P :P >:D >:D :-DD :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf