Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14786167 times)

Offline madao

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #47550 on: January 21, 2020, 04:38:21 pm »
Goal reached !

TDS540 run after eletrolytics  mass replacing and  swapped CTL IC (Tek special ic), but  few  error message stays.

three SRAM is dead, replaced -> no error message.

Greetings
matt

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, edavid, Specmaster, Kosmic

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47551 on: January 21, 2020, 04:42:33 pm »
Or, living behind a red door in the basement of an IT company, together with Roy and Maurice. :D

Ah yes. Richmond quote:

"Oh, we drive cars. We're just like you really, except we listen to Cradle of Filth."

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #47552 on: January 21, 2020, 05:28:40 pm »
I got christmas a cookies box.

OK. this is the project, it will be a glowing radio.

The following users thanked this post: edavid, bitseeker

Offline ArthurDent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47553 on: January 21, 2020, 05:31:42 pm »
Correct some of the best Bagpipe playing is best heard at distance like several Valleys away  :-DD

Bagpipes don't have to sound like some tortured dying animal in its death throes. They can be quite enjoyable when muted by vocals and other instruments. Here is a good example.

https://youtu.be/A6EIN3EeE78

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #47554 on: January 21, 2020, 05:40:26 pm »
And now to cleanse my ears via some music from chilled out suburban Ipswich  :-DD

Not bad. Listenable. But they remind me of Ozzie wannabe's  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47555 on: January 21, 2020, 05:49:00 pm »
Nah - living in Suffolk does that to you.
Yeah, I lived there for a short while till the carrot crunchers got to me, did me head in good and proper.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Dek

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #47556 on: January 21, 2020, 05:50:14 pm »

They are from my newly acquired Time Current Calibrator; look at the minimum scale and resolution, but the spec is +-0.2nA etc :)

Mmmmh, that's making me feel hungry :popcorn: :popcorn: it's on the pie setting.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #47557 on: January 21, 2020, 05:55:36 pm »
Yeah, I lived there for a short while till the carrot crunchers got to me, did me head in good and proper.

Google sez: "Carrot Cruncher". Derogatory term for a person with a rural background. English version of redneck? But I have a rural background so you city slickers can shove it.  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47558 on: January 21, 2020, 06:06:18 pm »

Google sez: "Carrot Cruncher". Derogatory term for a person with a rural background. English version of redneck? But I have a rural background so you city slickers can shove it.  :-DD
That maybe, but it's more of an English term than Merican  :-DD :-DD Actually I think I got that wrong, I think it's Those in Norfolk are called carrot crunchers, those Suffolk are called Swede Bashers  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47559 on: January 21, 2020, 06:19:23 pm »
Norfolk is the Alabama of the U.K. 

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #47560 on: January 21, 2020, 06:20:34 pm »

They are from my newly acquired Time Current Calibrator; look at the minimum scale and resolution, but the spec is +-0.2nA etc :)

Mmmmh, that's making me feel hungry :popcorn: :popcorn: it's on the pie setting.

And on my out of calibration Datron 1061, it shows 31.415/6mA and 31.412/3µA => happy camper!
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47561 on: January 21, 2020, 06:22:57 pm »

I'd have guessed Louisiana, but what do I know. (Cue story about a friend eventually realising the Louisiana local copper was illiterate and couldn't read his driving licence)
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline alextwin007

• Contributor
  • Collector of mini test equipment
« Reply #47562 on: January 21, 2020, 06:32:04 pm »
I love the look of this, do you have a model number?

Also I have found that it's always nice to do battery replacement with the property batteries.  I've had to do this with all of the analog miniature scopes I have.  I've found that it's nice to use the proper batteries and the built in charging circuit.  I was able to NiCd batteries with tabs from amazon for my tek 323.  I had my NLS MS-15 ruining on Li Ion batteries, but it was annoying to charge and the LDO I put in produced more heat then I'd like.  I could have fixed that putting in a switching regulator and better charging circuitry, but in the end I found that an emergency lighting LDO was a drop in replacement.

Having a test equipment addiction is difficult when you don't have a lot of room.  The solution, only collect small adorable test equipment.

Looking for a tek 1401 / 1401A, if you have one message me

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #47563 on: January 21, 2020, 06:33:48 pm »

I drove thru Alabama once...to get to Pensacola, Florida. And then return trip. With a vehicle with NY plates.  :scared:

I swear as soon as you cross that border you hear banjos in the background.  :o

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #47564 on: January 21, 2020, 06:43:39 pm »
Well wouldn't you know it. As soon as I get the 535A finished and buttoned up I have a fail. The loud arc snap has returned. And you won't believe where it's coming from. Time Base A Trigger Mode switch. As soon as I flipped it to DC a loud bang then another bang switching it back. The trigger still works but I lost the no signal trace when flipped to "Auto". There should be a free running trace. It's gone but when you apply a signal it triggers. Weird. And there's been no further bangs regardless of switch position.  :-//

Time Base B Trigger is fine and I have a free running trace in "Auto" position. Both time base trigger circuits are identical so some comparative troubleshooting should nail it down. Tomorrow's to do.  ::)

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #47565 on: January 21, 2020, 06:57:59 pm »
I like pipe music, my daughter and I both like Cradle of Filth et al (Jinjer and Thin Lizzy on a mix cd in my car atm).

A friend of mine is from Norfolk; I call her "Potato Lady". She calls me "Sheep Botherer", or sometimes "Northern Bastard".

I like the current pi...   ;D  I have to confess I did the same thing when I posted pics of some decade resistors a while back, icr if anyone noticed though    ::)

EDIT: There are some days I wish I didn't have to go to work, today being one...
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 07:05:18 pm by ThickPhilM »
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #47566 on: January 21, 2020, 07:11:20 pm »
Correct some of the best Bagpipe playing is best heard at distance like several Valleys away  :-DD
Bagpipes don't have to sound like some tortured dying animal in its death throes. They can be quite enjoyable when muted by vocals and other instruments. Here is a good example. https://youtu.be/A6EIN3EeE78

Ehhhh... I grew up half the time in Pittsburgh and half in a little slightly-past-nowhere dorp in the middle of the Finger Lakes; home of the Marching Scotsmen. They played bagpipes and steel drum... you haven't heard anything until you've heard Carribbean/Calypso Bagpipe.  :o

mnem
And afterwards, it's an hour at least before you can hear anything again... |O
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #47567 on: January 21, 2020, 07:57:50 pm »

Ehhhh... I grew up half the time in Pittsburgh and half in a little slightly-past-nowhere dorp in the middle of the Finger Lakes; home of the Marching Scotsmen. They played bagpipes and steel drum... you haven't heard anything until you've heard Carribbean/Calypso Bagpipe.  :o

mnem

Once, in ´00, I drove Newark-DC Metro-Pittsburgh-Newark to first visit colleagues at Network Solutions and then the IETF 48. Pennsylvania, a state I've driven through in various amounts during 4 of my US visits ('93, '97, '00 and briefly in '01) sometimes looks very middle-european (I'm thinking Ardennes, with a sprinkling of Saone valley) while at the same time being very much a part of the US; Bagpipes or not.

All those trips were before GPS was a commodity, so one was constantly trying to verify correct navigation by squinting at the map that the PennDOT kindly donated at rest stops.  I explicitly stayed off the interstates after DC, and went by US 50, 522, 40, and PA 51, and then US 30 and US 22 through Harrisburg (Yes, Kraftwerk on repeat in the CD player during that part!). In the Sunday morning as I drove into NY Metro area, I decided that I wanted to see the sea, which of course failed, but I got to drive across a very sleepy Manhattan and on to Brooklyn and all the way out to Floyd Bennet Field.

Those were the times when one had to go places to see places. Nowadays, it's more of a verfication that Google Street View coverage is not out of date  :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47568 on: January 21, 2020, 08:02:35 pm »
Bagpipes don't have to sound like some tortured dying animal in its death throes. They can be quite enjoyable when muted by vocals and other instruments. Here is a good example. https://youtu.be/A6EIN3EeE78

mnem

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, ArthurDent, grizewald

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47569 on: January 21, 2020, 08:06:21 pm »
I love the look of this, do you have a model number?

Type 609N, where N indicates it can measure currents via a null mater, yuk.

The core component is their potted 2003 voltage stabiliser module.

The following users thanked this post: alextwin007

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #47570 on: January 21, 2020, 08:19:38 pm »
  Lord of Sealand

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #47571 on: January 21, 2020, 08:35:57 pm »

Disagree completely. It just needs to be done right, see here:

Now, that's a new experience. Bagpipe swing. Who knew?
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47572 on: January 21, 2020, 10:35:46 pm »
This might seem to be a silly question, but I don't know the answer, on a Bourns 10 turn pot, will a normal control knob fit it or do you need vernier type of knob like the one pictured below. Equally, would a vernier knob also work on a standard pot or would it be just like any other knob?  :-//

« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 10:48:18 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47573 on: January 21, 2020, 11:14:14 pm »
Normal knob is fine. You only need the vernier type knobs if you want it to be direct reading like a pot with an indicator dial.

Edited to add: Didn't spot the 2nd bit. A vernier knob will turn through 3600 degrees (give or take) so if you stuck it on a standard 270 degree pot it wouldn't even use 10% of it's travel.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 11:16:10 pm by Cerebus »
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47574 on: January 21, 2020, 11:33:30 pm »
A few days ago there much discussion about removing SME's safely and Paul Carlson recommended twisting them off but others said that risked tearing the pads of the board. Well I was flicking through YT as you do when lost for something to do  :-DD and came this video, which seems to work very well, in fact IIRC someone did mention this method, but I thought this video might add a bit of substance to the words.

Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf