Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14790876 times)

tggzzz, Kosmic, K0ELB and 162 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #47600 on: January 22, 2020, 11:02:36 am »
A description for those who can't be arsed to skip around the video to find the meat of it.

Thank you.

Most videos consume too much of my little remaining life, so I can't be arsed to watch them unless I know it contains worthwhile and moving pictures.
:wtf: Are planning on going SK soon then so you got to cram a lot in before you do  >:D
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47601 on: January 22, 2020, 11:06:41 am »
A description for those who can't be arsed to skip around the video to find the meat of it.

Thank you.

Most videos consume too much of my little remaining life, so I can't be arsed to watch them unless I know it contains worthwhile and moving pictures.

Yeah, I watched that one at 2x speed and it still took too long to get to the point.

-Pat
Yeah, I suppose I could have told you were to wind it to, but then I remembered that we also have a few relatively newbies on board and his words of wisdom might well have been useful to them  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #47602 on: January 22, 2020, 11:08:19 am »
10pm collecting a sipping Scotch and all is well with the shack TEA  8)

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47603 on: January 22, 2020, 11:15:59 am »
He uses one of these ESI 242D https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=ESI+242D&_sacat=0 I won't be adding one to the collection  ::) Details are above in an post from this morning.

I have been going through all the gear in the shack and removing the noticeable offenders. The last one was a simple LED wallwart that was upsetting the Fluke Calibrator at over 1.5m  :-- Off to on was a definite and measurable few PPM.

If I am being careful then PC's and monitors off along with the Coffee machine and the Cal gear is on the back rack with only one mains lead into it. Apart from that I could re arrange and run it off the  decent sized UPS I have but that is another possible source I guess.

Re the 34461A I rate the 34401A I have as more stable.
I  wonder if you guys are as anal with your cars as you are with your DMMs, I mean, your cars have a 0 - 60mph time, do you always check on it looking for those horses that might have escaped over the years  >:D :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47604 on: January 22, 2020, 11:19:23 am »
Yes, this is precisely the technique I recommended ages ago when we first talked about "Carlson's Great Capacitor Sin Video". Why the fuck does nobody ever listen...? :palm:

mnem
 :horse:

It is not your and my beers, if someone rips solder pad, after watching of carlson lab video.. :-//

My solution by case with minor capitor plague.
Two solder iron!

Those tips look like they need cleaning and so TLC.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #47605 on: January 22, 2020, 11:20:40 am »
I am really missing a 6.5 digit speed-indicator in my car.  :(    8)
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: worsthorse, AVGresponding

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #47606 on: January 22, 2020, 11:28:20 am »
Depends on what you are doing with the results of it.

Some of the coffee and more so food I am looking playing with gear in the order of 0.1C accuracy or better so I need to be able to get well under that for testing and for certainty so a casual check with a 3 or 4 1/2 digit meter and a K type thermocouple won't cut it. Hence some Temperature Cal gear better RTD's calibrated meters and a bit further into the rabbit hole.

Playing with most stuff on the bench an 20 Mhz scope and a $50 meter would still do me like it did for a long time and would do 90+% of all work any of us need for home use but part of it is why we are here I guess

TEA is a bottomless cup  :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47607 on: January 22, 2020, 11:48:40 am »
Can't measure time with or without a 6.5 digit speed indicator, need a stop watch for that job  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47608 on: January 22, 2020, 11:50:55 am »
Depends on what you are doing with the results of it.

Some of the coffee and more so food I am looking playing with gear in the order of 0.1C accuracy or better so I need to be able to get well under that for testing and for certainty so a casual check with a 3 or 4 1/2 digit meter and a K type thermocouple won't cut it. Hence some Temperature Cal gear better RTD's calibrated meters and a bit further into the rabbit hole.

Playing with most stuff on the bench an 20 Mhz scope and a $50 meter would still do me like it did for a long time and would do 90+% of all work any of us need for home use but part of it is why we are here I guess

TEA is a bottomless cup  :-DD
Amen to that, or in your case, a coffee cup  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #47609 on: January 22, 2020, 11:55:45 am »
got a 502A Keithley.
So I can test forks and spoons  :-//  (milli-Ohm-Meter)
it have a trusted peace of wood to set the distance of the 2 clamps exactly to 10cm,
means readout x10 = Ohms per meter   ^-^

Martin
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 11:58:56 am by Martin.M »

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #47610 on: January 22, 2020, 12:01:06 pm »

Bought two of this sacrificial lambs for Thor, "hopefully"  :-[ will save my GPSDO and other T&M equipments if he strikes.

PolyPhaser RF DC pass surge arrestors.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47611 on: January 22, 2020, 12:27:15 pm »
Probably better that my solution which is roll half the feed up, wrap it in a supermarket bag, tape it up and sling it out the window until the storm has passed :-DD

Random question: does anyone know any reputable sources of decent quality instrument cases from China at all? I can only find ones described as "metal". I'd rather like to know if it's going to go rusty or not  :-DD

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #47612 on: January 22, 2020, 12:29:54 pm »
Probably better that my solution which is roll half the feed up, wrap it in a supermarket bag, tape it up and sling it out the window until the storm has passed :-DD

Random question: does anyone know any reputable sources of decent quality instrument cases from China at all? I can only find ones described as "metal". I'd rather like to know if it's going to go rusty or not  :-DD

If the source is somewhat related to "Siglent": stay away from it.   :-DD   (no offense @tautech  :)  )
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47613 on: January 22, 2020, 12:32:33 pm »

How inaccurate! So you never really know EXACTLY how fast you are travelling...

McBryce.

30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #47614 on: January 22, 2020, 12:33:42 pm »

How inaccurate! So you never really know EXACTLY how fast you are travelling...

McBryce.

* BU508A is throwing a Heisenberg after McBryce....    :-DD

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47615 on: January 22, 2020, 12:37:20 pm »
I'm just imagining the discussion with the Bundespolizist with radar gun in hand: "I wasn't going 70! I was going 68.8273kmh!

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #47616 on: January 22, 2020, 12:39:52 pm »
I'm just imagining the discussion with the Bundespolizist with radar gun in hand: "I wasn't going 70! I was going 68.8273kmh!

McBryce.

Police officer stops Heisenberg.
Officer: "Do you you know how fast you was driving?"
Heisenberg: "No. But I do know exactly where I am."

The following users thanked this post: Henrik_V, worsthorse, Neomys Sapiens, bd139, grizewald, AVGresponding

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #47617 on: January 22, 2020, 12:42:41 pm »

The fun part is when you about to roll or in the middle of rolling it and still connected, Thor does his thingy.  >:D

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47618 on: January 22, 2020, 01:14:07 pm »
How else am I going to get 1.21 jiggawatts!?

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #47619 on: January 22, 2020, 02:16:58 pm »
Has anybody ever tried to use these desoldering blades?
Example: Edsyn RB641

https://www.conrad.de/de/p/edsyn-entloetklingenband-edsyn-rb641-entloetklingenband-rb641-2144527.html

Edit:

This is the holder tool: Edsyn ST-706
https://www.ebay.com/itm/202803481888

Never used them and I do not like the idea.  :-//
Everything that put (by definition) force on a PCB or on a component is the wrong way to get the job done IMHO.

PCB and electronics components are like ladies, be gentle with them and they will (possibly) make you happy.
...and of course the older they get, the more you need to respect them.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 02:19:25 pm by Zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47620 on: January 22, 2020, 02:25:53 pm »

No.

Like you I think I'm going to have to invest in a box and pan folder and start making my own boxes.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47621 on: January 22, 2020, 02:29:00 pm »
PCB and electronics components are like ladies, be gentle with them and they will (possibly) make you happy.

O lordy, you haven't been nonna-chasing again have you Zucca?  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47622 on: January 22, 2020, 02:44:42 pm »
Has anybody ever tried to use these desoldering blades?
Example: Edsyn RB641

https://www.conrad.de/de/p/edsyn-entloetklingenband-edsyn-rb641-entloetklingenband-rb641-2144527.html

Edit:

This is the holder tool: Edsyn ST-706
https://www.ebay.com/itm/202803481888

Never used them and I do not like the idea.  :-//
Everything that put (by definition) force on a PCB or on a component is the wrong way to get the job done IMHO.

I doubt that the blade would have sufficient thermal mass to melt the solder as it was being pushed under the "leg" anyway
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47623 on: January 22, 2020, 02:50:30 pm »

No.

Like you I think I'm going to have to invest in a box and pan folder and start making my own boxes.

That's what I was trying to avoid. I priced up a metal brake and a guillotine and am trading that off against other things. Particularly space.

I just grabbed one of these for a project while I think about it. They are in the realms of "I can't be arsed money": https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Professional-Quality-Aluminium-Enclosure-Project-Desk-Box-For-Electronic/200970018309?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=500189692768&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648

Only £3 more than the usual Takachi boxes I buy and a lot nicer looking.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #47624 on: January 22, 2020, 03:01:46 pm »

Thank you.

:wtf: Are planning on going SK soon then so you got to cram a lot in before you do  >:D

Who knows.

In the past month I have resurrected my mother, and injured myself in such a way that an operation might be necessary.

I've just filled in an "Advance Decision" form ( https://mydecisions.org.uk/ ) indicating that I don't want to be kept alive under some circumstances, and was going to discuss it with my GP on Friday. But I've been called into the local hospital at the same time, so will have to delay that for a week.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf