Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14555403 times)

djadeski, Vince, duckduck and 24 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #47625 on: January 22, 2020, 03:11:54 pm »
He uses one of these ESI 242D https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=ESI+242D&_sacat=0 I won't be adding one to the collection  ::) Details are above in an post from this morning.

I have been going through all the gear in the shack and removing the noticeable offenders. The last one was a simple LED wallwart that was upsetting the Fluke Calibrator at over 1.5m  :-- Off to on was a definite and measurable few PPM.

If I am being careful then PC's and monitors off along with the Coffee machine and the Cal gear is on the back rack with only one mains lead into it. Apart from that I could re arrange and run it off the  decent sized UPS I have but that is another possible source I guess.

Re the 34461A I rate the 34401A I have as more stable.
I  wonder if you guys are as anal with your cars as you are with your DMMs, I mean, your cars have a 0 - 60mph time, do you always check on it looking for those horses that might have escaped over the years  >:D :-DD

Cars no: too many wheels and too few wings to be interesting.

Gliders OTOH, that's a different kettle of fish. Some people even wipe the wings' leading edge while the plane is in the air to clear off the drag-inducing bugs. No, they don't climb along the wings like some Poles; to get the idea see the first 10s of
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #47626 on: January 22, 2020, 03:17:09 pm »
Get a helicopter. The blades clean themselves during flight.

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #47627 on: January 22, 2020, 03:30:43 pm »
**EDIT**

Screwed up the edit, lost the post, nothing to see here.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 12:18:07 pm by Ice-Tea »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47628 on: January 22, 2020, 03:41:58 pm »
He uses one of these ESI 242D https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=ESI+242D&_sacat=0 I won't be adding one to the collection  ::) Details are above in an post from this morning.

I have been going through all the gear in the shack and removing the noticeable offenders. The last one was a simple LED wallwart that was upsetting the Fluke Calibrator at over 1.5m  :-- Off to on was a definite and measurable few PPM.

If I am being careful then PC's and monitors off along with the Coffee machine and the Cal gear is on the back rack with only one mains lead into it. Apart from that I could re arrange and run it off the  decent sized UPS I have but that is another possible source I guess.

I  wonder if you guys are as anal with your cars as you are with your DMMs, I mean, your cars have a 0 - 60mph time, do you always check on it looking for those horses that might have escaped over the years  >:D :-DD

Gliders OTOH, that's a different kettle of fish. Some people even wipe the wings' leading edge while the plane is in the air to clear off the drag-inducing bugs. No, they don't climb along the wings like some Poles; to get the idea see the first 10s of

Thats neat  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #47629 on: January 22, 2020, 03:47:25 pm »
Yes, this is precisely the technique I recommended ages ago when we first talked about "Carlson's Great Capacitor Sin Video". Why the fuck does nobody ever listen...? :palm:

mnem
 :horse:
Oi, I did, just couldn't remember who, hence why I said IIRC  :-DD :-DD :-DD

You bastard; ya got me! Threw my own GIANT PURPLE EMPHASIS FONT right in my face & caught me off-guard just as I was taking a bite; made me snort coffee & bagel bits right out my nose!!! *snortleHONNNNKsnort*   :-DD

mnem
I'm AWAKE now!!!
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47630 on: January 22, 2020, 03:56:05 pm »
Yes, this is precisely the technique I recommended ages ago when we first talked about "Carlson's Great Capacitor Sin Video". Why the fuck does nobody ever listen...? :palm:

mnem
 :horse:
   It is not your and my beers, if someone rips solder pad, after watching of carlson lab video.. :-//   My solution by case with minor capacitor plague.   Two solder iron!

You're absolutely right, aside from the fact that I'll be crying in my birch beer when I buy that piece of TEA off fleaBay AFTER some ham-fisted knucklefucker has had their way with it. ;)

Agreed, two soldering irons is better; though this solution is fraught with perils of its own as success is highly dependent on careful preparation, technique, and a fair bit of luck. Tweezers greatly reduce the luck portion of that equation, however. :-+

mnem
 :-BROKE
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47631 on: January 22, 2020, 04:09:45 pm »

Gliders seduce the air. Helicopters beat it into submission.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #47632 on: January 22, 2020, 04:13:47 pm »
made me snort coffee & bagel bits right out my nose!!! *snortleHONNNNKsnort*   :-DD

Why are you doing this? isn't that kind of painful?  >:D    :-DD

But if it makes you happy ...  ;)
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47633 on: January 22, 2020, 04:17:00 pm »
Spoken like a true "Stick & Rudder" man. ;)

That mechanism is actually pretty clever... it seems to me questionable as to whether it induces less drag than the the bugs it removes, however...

mnem
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 04:19:35 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47634 on: January 22, 2020, 04:18:18 pm »
Has anybody ever tried to use these desoldering blades?   
Example: Edsyn RB641 https://www.conrad.de/de/p/edsyn-entloetklingenband-edsyn-rb641-entloetklingenband-rb641-2144527.html         Edit: This is the holder tool: Edsyn ST-706 https://www.ebay.com/itm/202803481888

I haven't used that particular product, but I have a stainless steel spudger with a paper-thin spoon end I use this way; I've also used old feeler gauges wiped in oil or strips of aluminum flashing (0.20" hardened aluminum sheet available at any hardware store for US$8-15 depending on size of roll) to similar effect where parts density permits. That is the main drawback of this technique; often parts are just packed too closely together to get a bit of foil underneath at an angle that doesn't pull on the opposing trace. Then it pulls a pad loose and makes you cry. :'(

Their "holder tool" appears to be nothing more than a re-purposed X-Acto knife; you can get one of those at most Dollar Stores nowadays. :-//

mnem
"Reality's a bitch. And she has puppies."
"I thought that was Murphy..."
"Who do you think the daddy is...?"  :o
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 04:37:49 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47635 on: January 22, 2020, 04:31:47 pm »
made me snort coffee & bagel bits right out my nose!!! *snortleHONNNNKsnort*   :-DD
Why are you doing this? isn't that kind of painful?  >:D    :-DD   But if it makes you happy ...  ;)
It was NOT by choice, I assure you.   *GLARES AT SPECMASTER*   

mnem
 ;)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 04:35:57 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47636 on: January 22, 2020, 04:45:07 pm »
Thank you. Most videos consume too much of my little remaining life, so I can't be arsed to watch them unless I know it contains worthwhile and moving pictures.
:wtf: Are planning on going SK soon then so you got to cram a lot in before you do  >:D

Who knows. In the past month I have resurrected my mother, and injured myself in such a way that an operation might be necessary.

I've just filled in an "Advance Decision" form ( https://mydecisions.org.uk/ ) indicating that I don't want to be kept alive under some circumstances, and was going to discuss it with my GP on Friday. But I've been called into the local hospital at the same time, so will have to delay that for a week.

yeeeg. Hope you're able to make decisions based on your health needs rather than cost... and I hope you get your personal stuff sorted, my friend.  :-+ I know I have a terrifying backlog of my own that will probably be dumped on my children... :o

mnem
*sigh* That was a lifetime ago...

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47637 on: January 22, 2020, 05:23:38 pm »
Thank you. Most videos consume too much of my little remaining life, so I can't be arsed to watch them unless I know it contains worthwhile and moving pictures.
:wtf: Are planning on going SK soon then so you got to cram a lot in before you do  >:D

Who knows. In the past month I have resurrected my mother, and injured myself in such a way that an operation might be necessary.

I've just filled in an "Advance Decision" form ( https://mydecisions.org.uk/ ) indicating that I don't want to be kept alive under some circumstances, and was going to discuss it with my GP on Friday. But I've been called into the local hospital at the same time, so will have to delay that for a week.

yeeeg. Hope you're able to make decisions based on your health needs rather than cost... and I hope you get your personal stuff sorted, my friend.  :-+ I know I have a terrifying backlog of my own that will probably be dumped on my children... :o

Cost isn't an issue; availability of community care is a major problem and will probably get worse. Much more important is not to be a drain on my dependents.

My choices of advance decisions weren't difficult to decide; I may look at other legal documents that might offer more "my time has come" options. I am well aware that my average heart rate is around 1 micro bpm, and will eventually start decreasing again. Quality, not quantity.

I confirm that the following refusal(s) of treatment are to apply even if my life is at risk or may be shortened as a result. I understand life-sustaining treatment includes but is not limited to CPR, clinically assisted nutrition and hydration, mechanical or artificial ventilation and antibiotics for life-threatening infections.

If I have any type of
  • dementia
  • brain injury following a stroke, head injury or any other cause
  • a disease of the central nervous system
  • terminal illness
and I can no longer make or communicate a decision about my medical treatment, and I am unlikely to regain the ability to make these decisions, then I refuse all life-sustaining treatment.

To avoid doubt, I wish to be given all medical treatment to alleviate pain or distress, or aimed at ensuring my comfort.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47638 on: January 22, 2020, 05:29:21 pm »

What if the air is not cooperative ?

The helicopter trick is to create so much wind by yourself that what is going on around you becomes irrelevant. Elegant, isnt it ?!  >:D >:D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47639 on: January 22, 2020, 05:50:30 pm »

Speaking from experience and having made a couple "successful" autogyro landings with 450-600 size helis, the ONLY time they approach "graceful" is when being flown in a choreographed acrobatic performance.

Now compare that to this... clearly brute force vs finesse.

REAL helis... the only time they "fly" is when the engine dies, and then (I imagine) you're a little too terrified trying to build up AG momentum to feel any grace whatsoever.  ;)

mnem
Quadcopters just rape the air... and I'm totes down widdat. >:D

« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 06:01:46 pm by mnementh »

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47640 on: January 22, 2020, 05:54:24 pm »

The helicopter trick is to create so much wind by yourself that what is going on around you becomes irrelevant. Elegant, isnt it ?!  >:D >:D

You make the helicopter trick sound like farting! not elegant :)

Sometimes the air sucks you up like a homesick angel, sometimes it spits you out in disgust. The joy is not being able to completely predict the wind, but with extra skill and imagination (or wingspen, see .sig) you have longer in the air.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47641 on: January 22, 2020, 07:03:27 pm »

You make the helicopter trick sound like farting! not elegant :)

Sometimes the air sucks you up like a homesick angel, sometimes it spits you out in disgust. The joy is not being able to completely predict the wind, but with extra skill and imagination (or wingspen, see .sig) you have longer in the air.

Probably you are referring to the "flying fartress" (Robinson R22). Better helicopters whine or whistle. When you hear heavy flapping, they are slow or fall too fast and create a doughnut (vortex ring). 

BTW: A flameout is not nice, but other failures are much harder to handle.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #47642 on: January 22, 2020, 07:06:09 pm »
Ripped into the 535A to try to find the source of the arc and bang. As usual it turned into a marathon.

First, looked over the Trigger A section and the only thing I found suspicious was two flying leads that were real close to each other. But no marks indicating an arc. I separated them anyway. Sorry for the poor focus. Camera doesn't like going that close. They are the 2 bare leads going across the center of the pix.

Next I powered up and checked the ref V and all the B+ voltages. They are all OK. This PSU is damn stout to put up with those arc bangs. They were LOUD. And so far there have been no further snaps and bangs.

Next determine why no free running trace in “Auto” mode on Time Base A. Turns out the “Trigger Preset” adjust is off. This is where things went down hill. The pot is hopelessly jammed. I took it out and apart. Tried to free it up and the resistive element fell apart. It's a 200K linear miniature pot. No gots so I have to order one. It's the pot on the stand off. BTW, this Trigger Preset pot does NOT appear on my 535A schematics. Nothing new, see this all the time with Tek equipment. So many revisions and the manuals can't keep up.   

In the meantime Time Base B does work fine. I'll order a new pot and at the same time I might as well start ordering replacement capacitors for the PSU. And in other news.....I found a “parts unit” 485 on Ebay for a reasonable price. Coming next week. I may FINALLY fix the trigger issue with the one sitting in the closet. 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, Kosmic

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #47643 on: January 22, 2020, 07:11:15 pm »
Never seen a pot stood off like that, nice trick Tek !  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #47644 on: January 22, 2020, 07:25:23 pm »

Similarly, the 34401A I have is more stable than the 34410A.

No dyno visits for me. And the speedo...one car is 2 mph high, the other's 3 mph high, relative to a couple of GPS I checked them against. ^-^

Now that was cool. I've seen motorgliders with folding props, but never in-flight leading edge cleaners.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #47645 on: January 22, 2020, 07:34:33 pm »

Neither have I. And I'm not quite sure why it was mounted way.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47646 on: January 22, 2020, 07:40:30 pm »

Neither have I. And I'm not quite sure why it was mounted way.
3 reasons I see.
Close ground point for adjacent pot.
Easier soldering of local connections.
Omit the need to cut the pot shaft.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: worsthorse

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47647 on: January 22, 2020, 07:45:57 pm »
Telequipment did that. Buggers to get replacements for!

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47648 on: January 22, 2020, 07:54:58 pm »
Telequipment did that. Buggers to get replacements for!
What model ?
Maybe they learnt that trick from Tek after they were acquired by them.  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47649 on: January 22, 2020, 07:59:24 pm »

Similarly, the 34401A I have is more stable than the 34410A.

No dyno visits for me. And the speedo...one car is 2 mph high, the other's 3 mph high, relative to a couple of GPS I checked them against. ^-^

>:D The point I was making, is your car matching its claimed 0-60mph time, does anyone check it or are you all happy to accept the fact that its in the general zone  >:D :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf