Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14552781 times)

Qw3rtzuiop, ch_scr and 32 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #47750 on: January 24, 2020, 07:58:19 am »
Just won myself another TTi power supply, damn these things are so bloody addictive, because I havent had much luck on the bay of late, I've submitted offers/bids on a of these now, I could end up with a few of these  :palm: :-DD

Buying a TTi is more relaxing than drinking a cold beer.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47751 on: January 24, 2020, 12:17:56 pm »
hey med

"don't need an SA plug-in"?

that's crazy talk man!

(or did you just mean you need one of those 120 lb backbreakers that oculus prefers)

free range primate

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47752 on: January 24, 2020, 12:59:02 pm »
ok here is a true SA story.

just after xmas my mom (85 and still pretty sharp) called to say her wireless doorbell was dead.  sent her to lowes for a new battery but that didn't fix it.

drove to delaware with a piece of crap usb sdrplay with SA software (developed by a guy in australia!) connected to a netbook and determined that the outdoor button unit was transmitting a signal.  then sniffed around the condo and found that her new mist dehumidifier raises the noise floor at the frequency of interest about 40 db (within 3 ft of the pos).  moved the mist maker to another room and the doorbell is now functional.

all hail the mighty spectrum analyzer!

ps  would have been a whole lot more impressive with my 60lb hp 8569b.....but my mom can't really carry it around for room sweeps.   

pps  am now comfortable that a nice old lady will hear the doorbell ring when the fedex guy wants to deliver her meds.
free range primate

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47753 on: January 24, 2020, 12:59:42 pm »
@nixiefreqq: He's afraid of plumbing  :-DD

So I woke up this morning and no one has bought that neat little HM307 mini scope. I am still tempted. It can sit on the shelf. Has component tester and looks cute and is fine for "low brow tasks".

But I don't need it, I already have two working much better analogue scopes and am supposed to be downsizing  :palm:

Hmm... daily TEA dilemma  :-DD

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #47754 on: January 24, 2020, 01:05:33 pm »

So I woke up this morning and no one has bought that neat little HM307 mini scope. I am still tempted. It can sit on the shelf. Has component tester and looks cute and is fine for "low brow tasks".

But I don't need it, I already have two working much better analogue scopes and am supposed to be downsizing  :palm:

Didn't you own already a Hameg scope? What happened to this?
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47755 on: January 24, 2020, 01:12:30 pm »
Yeah that went. I had a clear out when I got the PM3217. The only things that are true here are change and inconsistency  :-+ :-DD

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #47756 on: January 24, 2020, 01:36:47 pm »
Some internal pics of the Quick 957DW+. Seems to be acceptable quality for $100 class hot air system. Circuit board very clean  :-+. Hot AC wire goes to the switch, good ground. They even put some red locktight on some of the nuts and the connector under the fan. Some tiny sharp edges though - took one for the team.  :rant:

Today I will practice removing components from an innocent Netgear WiFi mainboard - may it rest in peace.  :-DD

913900-0

913904-1

913908-2

913912-3

913918-4

913922-5
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, bitseeker, mnementh, bd139, Kosmic

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #47757 on: January 24, 2020, 01:42:52 pm »
Yeah that went. I had a clear out when I got the PM3217. The only things that are true here are change and inconsistency  :-+ :-DD

You are a true follower of Heraklit.  :-+  ;D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heraclitus

Money quote:
"Due to the oracular and paradoxical nature of his philosophy, and his fondness for word play, he was called "The Obscure" even in antiquity."

:-DD  :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47758 on: January 24, 2020, 01:51:07 pm »
I think that’s a fair assertion!   :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47759 on: January 24, 2020, 02:01:50 pm »

Go for it before I change my mind on it. Panic on TTi PSU's averted, outbid on a PL310, and offer rejected on the quod package. Just picked up the TS3021S and apart from faded binding posts, and a slightly damaged red binding post, the thing appears to be mint, photos when I get home with it. The Heathkit C-3U arrived today, screws in back, missing, magic eye pushed to far back, not a problem. Early indications are that there is work to do on it as the maximum voltage I'm getting on the leakage terminals is 51v but the switch states 450v?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #47760 on: January 24, 2020, 02:04:07 pm »
I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

Online Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #47761 on: January 24, 2020, 02:09:49 pm »
...but I will fix it in 5minutes and without paying.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47762 on: January 24, 2020, 02:09:59 pm »

Go for it before I change my mind on it. Panic on TTi PSU's averted, outbid on a PL310, and offer rejected on the quod package. Just picked up the TS3021S and apart from faded binding posts, and a slightly damaged red binding post, the thing appears to be mint, photos when I get home with it. The Heathkit C-3U arrived today, screws in back, missing, magic eye pushed to far back, not a problem. Early indications are that there is work to do on it as the maximum voltage I'm getting on the leakage terminals is 51v but the switch states 450v?

Probably selenium fucktifier and main filter cap issue. Should be fixable cheaply. Looking at the schematic there's bugger all inside them!

result on the TS3021S  :-+

Online Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #47763 on: January 24, 2020, 02:14:22 pm »
Some internal pics of the Quick 957DW+. Seems to be acceptable quality for $100 class hot air system. Circuit board very clean  :-+. Hot AC wire goes to the switch, good ground. They even put some red locktight on some of the nuts and the connector under the fan. Some tiny sharp edges though - took one for the team.  :rant:

Thanks, can somebody confirm me that these air nozzles (clamp 24mm):

do not play with the Quick hot air stations?

Any adapter?

« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 02:16:28 pm by Zucca »

Online Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #47764 on: January 24, 2020, 02:25:49 pm »
Founded:

https://eleshop.eu/quick-nk-850-adapter-nozzle.html

I am wondering if it will work for real, or the temperature will be less accurate...  :-//

TEA dilemma today: getting a Quick 861DW but what about my Hakko FR-802 nozzles?

Online Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #47765 on: January 24, 2020, 02:59:44 pm »

So what ? WTF! When most stuff dies warranty is long over anyway! Now the age of POOGE is near  >:D :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #47766 on: January 24, 2020, 04:28:35 pm »
FedEx delivery today. A very dirty but complete 485. Advert was parts/not working and priced reasonable. And they weren't kidding. It's totally dead. The PSU doesn't even tick. But that doesn't matter. It's going to be a sacrifice...a parts mule. Going to swap out the trigger board with the 485 that does power up, but drove me nuts for weeks trying to figure out the trigger issue.

I'll post pictures of the surgery.

And.....the new trigger preset pot for the 535A will arrive today. Never bored here.  :-+ 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #47767 on: January 24, 2020, 05:02:07 pm »
FedEx delivery today. A very dirty but complete 485. Advert was parts/not working and priced reasonable. And they weren't kidding. It's totally dead. The PSU doesn't even tick.

My first 485 was like that - for the first 5mins, then it sprang into life.

Might be worth trying this quick and easy bodge, just in case it is the fault: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg2592585/#msg2592585
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #47768 on: January 24, 2020, 05:10:00 pm »
What was done in the R/C high performance packs was end soldering. Generally the different classes were pack weight limited and weight generally just made gravity suck harder so less was more. First with NiCad's then with NiMh.

Pre-Tin the ends of the cells with the Fat Iron shown then drop them in a simple jig slide the re tinned iron in between two cells to melt the existing solder (2-3 seconds max because of the tip mass) remove the iron and slap the cells together to solder. Good for a few hundred Amps. Packs shown are the last NiMh Round cell packs I have and are off an old buggy but the same assembly job was used on the sticks of three with a silver bar between them.
Yeah, I used to do that until I broke the cathode caps off some very expensive SANYO cells due to pack flex and crashes. That's when I moved to saddle-packs and brick-packs instead of the dirt-donker dynamite sticks; they allowed you to put the weight where you wanted it. Copper 1mmx13mm shunts FTW, Baybee!!!  :-+   :-DD

mnem
*shunted growth*
When you crashed 200+km/hr plane weighing in at 2.5kg with a 1.1kg 27 cell pack inside, breaking the pack was generally the least of your issues  :o

Oh, NOW you're taking the conversation airborne...  :-DD  I never was a speed-freak; when I was young and had the reflexes for ducted-fan and turbine craft, I was hopelessly klutzy and inexperienced. I had no interest in the mess and hassle of nitromethane, so I routinely pissed off the old plank-wankers at my local RC airfields, who looked down on anything electric as a "kid's toy", even though electric powerplants were evolving at breakneck speeds. Thank Ifni for Kyosho and to a lesser extent, eFlite...

Anyways when I got back into model RC in my 40s, of course the whole industry had changed. Electric was everywhere, and even the cheap all-plastic basher trucks from Traxxxas were brushless and Li-xx power was taking over everything. I started futzing around with multirotors before the naze32; my interest was in making an AP platform small enough & cheap enough to stuff in a backpack and take anywhere. On that road I got into acro quadcopters; which when engaged in FFF actually fly a lot like a plank, only you can flip and roll at a whim.

Nowadays we have amazingly powerful flight controllers; more sophisticated and reliable than the stuff the government was using on guided missiles just a couple decades ago; most of it developed in ordinary people's garages by amateurs. And of course, while we "quad pilots" used to loathe "fuckwits with Phantoms" pretty much universally for flying in stupid places and then posting videos of their idiocy on social media... the fact is that the dji Mavic is EXACTLY what I was trying to make when I first got back into "little whirry flying things" back then.

You can now buy a perfectly serviceable AP rig with truly noob-friendly UI AND HD camera for $50-100; if you want better quality and higher resolution all you have to do is spend a little more money.

mnem
Launchpad McQuack is my Spirit Animal.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 05:12:46 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #47769 on: January 24, 2020, 05:10:21 pm »
FedEx delivery today. A very dirty but complete 485. Advert was parts/not working and priced reasonable. And they weren't kidding. It's totally dead. The PSU doesn't even tick.

My first 485 was like that - for the first 5mins, then it sprang into life.

Might be worth trying this quick and easy bodge, just in case it is the fault: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg2592585/#msg2592585

I give it a shot when I pull it apart and inspect it. But if it doesn't cooperate it's going under the knife.  >:D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47770 on: January 24, 2020, 05:31:33 pm »
      Some internal pics of the Quick 957DW+. Seems to be acceptable quality for $100 class hot air system. Circuit board very clean  :-+. Hot AC wire goes to the switch, good ground. They even put some red locktight on some of the nuts and the connector under the fan. Some tiny sharp edges though - took one for the team.  :rant:   Today I will practice removing components from an innocent Netgear WiFi mainboard - may it rest in peace.  :-DD

There is no such thing as "Innocent NetGear"... they're pretty much single-handedly responsible for the plague of cheap Chinese import network gear running firmware ranging from incompetent to outright spyware that has flooded even our core infrastructure. :palm: Nuke with extreme prejudice.  >:D

That centrifugal blower looks a lot like the one in my CPAP machine... can you trace the wires back to the mainboard & see if it is actually a BL motor or just a sensored brushed motor?

Either way, pretty sure it's still a more reliable design than the giant aquarium pump in my Aoyue 2702... |O

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47771 on: January 24, 2020, 05:36:33 pm »
You are a true follower of Heraklit.  :-+  ;D https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heraclitus

Money quote:
"Due to the oracular and paradoxical nature of his philosophy, and his fondness for word play, he was called "The Obscure" even in antiquity." :-DD  :-DD

I have more than once been compared to Heraclitus. Rarely favorably.  :-DD

mnem
"The only constant is change."

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47772 on: January 24, 2020, 05:46:31 pm »
   So what ? WTF! When most stuff dies warranty is long over anyway! Now the age of POOGE is near  >:D :-DD

You might wanna Gurrgle that term as a word rather than acronym before bandying it about, even in here where this is the primary meaning:      Just a heads-up. ;)

mnem
*glrrp*

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #47773 on: January 24, 2020, 05:48:11 pm »

Today I will practice removing components from an innocent Netgear WiFi mainboard - may it rest in peace.  :-DD

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.

Thanks, can somebody confirm me that these air nozzles (clamp 24mm):

do not play with the Quick hot air stations?

Any adapter?

Zucca, not sure if it will be helpful, but the nozzles that fit my old Yihua 858D also fit the Quick 957DW.  They have the same screw/nut to tighten it to the nozzle.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 05:50:17 pm by GreyWoolfe »
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Zucca

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47774 on: January 24, 2020, 05:55:26 pm »
... and am supposed to be downsizing  :palm:

You might just about be managing to fool yourself that's true, possibly; but every time you say it on here there is a mass collective raising of one eyebrow followed by knowing nods.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf