Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14564150 times)

Kosmic, McBryce, SingleBitError, wkb, Pilatus and 28 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #47900 on: January 26, 2020, 09:03:41 am »
Battery replacement  |O
(Attachment Link)

My 427A I think had the same battery but luckily also had 240V power  ;) There is a replacement available but an Arm, 1/2 a leg and one Kidney was the price.....
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #47901 on: January 26, 2020, 09:10:28 am »
I will check the battery current in running instrumt (feed by ext. PSU at the clips)
so the multimeter collection have something to do.
It will help to select a battery spare.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47902 on: January 26, 2020, 10:08:40 am »
2x 9V Block Lithium for smoke detectors, can be a solution.
The little instrument have Opt.1 = PSU so the battery is only for on the road.
Testing R is also possible without battery inside.

15x AA in 3x5 arrangement

When I had one I was going to put a 4 cell AA pack in and a boost converter.

It uses virtually no current apart from in the low resistance ranges.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47903 on: January 26, 2020, 10:44:37 am »

Keep it in your pocket, there's a reason it didn't catch on, probably because it was not very reliable or it sucked otherwise it would still be around today.

didn't catch on?  really?

I am sorry sir, but I must take issue.  LGA 1366 / X58 is one of the longest lived enthusiast platforms ever.  Still quite capable today, 10 years on.

I will admit that the triple channel RAM setup is a bit of an oddity as a stepping stone to quad channel architecture, but an overclocked X58 setup is nothing to sniff at to this day.

Lots of guys plopping cheap surplus hexcore Bloomfield chips in and clocking the bejeesus out of them  https://hardforum.com/threads/1366-x58-xeon-enthusiast-overclocks-club.1820772/

My main battlestation here is still a watercooled i7 970 @ 4.1GHz 48GB DDR3 in triple channel booting off a Samsung NVMe.  First built it 11 years ago...no complaints.

Oh, and one more benefit, the last platform without UEFI, so they can never prevent me from running linux on it.

Sir, you misunderstood me, its not the LGA, I was referring to but the 3 channel memory which never really caught on, it jumped straight to 4 channel
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47904 on: January 26, 2020, 11:12:35 am »
Oh happy happy joy joy. Turned on my PM3217 this morning and lost the transformer  :--. Primary appears to have gone open. It was a loud humming variety so perhaps something was up with it or an internal fuse is gone. Fortunately it’s got a fully DC 24-28V secondary so I’ll jump it with the PL330QMD at the moment and chuck an SMPS module or new toroidal transformer in it.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #47905 on: January 26, 2020, 11:24:50 am »
Commiserations.
I haven't had anything blow up or me stuff up for a fortnight - so I am in for a bad run soon.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #47906 on: January 26, 2020, 11:52:59 am »
I won't say anything to jinx myself.

Probably too late.  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47907 on: January 26, 2020, 12:02:29 pm »
Having tek stuff around means inevitable failure  :-DD

Found a 24V 3A meanwell lump in the cupboard. Going to see if I can retrofit it to the scope

Edit: well that was easy. There is a 2.1mm DC jack on the back, albeit wired so that negative is in the middle. Used my K2 charging lead with the PL330 and sorted.

It doesn't take a whole lot of power. 1A at 24V when graticule illumination is on. 850mA when it's not.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 12:11:09 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: grizewald

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #47908 on: January 26, 2020, 12:27:54 pm »
Zucca, not sure if it will be helpful, but the nozzles that fit my old Yihua 858D also fit the Quick 957DW.  They have the same screw/nut to tighten it to the nozzle.

So are the Yihua 858D nozzles ca. 24mm diameter?
Thanks Grey, if you have 5 minutes can you post a pic in the next days? I fully believe you I am curious to see how it looks like at the end...

Many Thanks in advance from cold Germany.

Zucca, as you can see, they are not 24 mm but they do fit fine.915002-0
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #47909 on: January 26, 2020, 12:48:17 pm »
Oh happy happy joy joy. Turned on my PM3217 this morning and lost the transformer  :--. Primary appears to have gone open. It was a loud humming variety so perhaps something was up with it or an internal fuse is gone. Fortunately it’s got a fully DC 24-28V secondary so I’ll jump it with the PL330QMD at the moment and chuck an SMPS module or new toroidal transformer in it.

I'd vote toroidal, since the scope was designed with a linear supply and it might not like the noise from a SMPS...

Commiserations.
I haven't had anything blow up or me stuff up for a fortnight - so I am in for a bad run soon.

:-DD :popcorn:

Well I pulled the lid off that EP PSU I bought, here's the photo evidence:

The casing is made from 3mm thick aluminium, which together with the lump of a transformer (250VA at a guess) explains the ludicrous weight, and yes, that flash of gold in the bottom left corner is exactly what you think it is... yikes!

The timer module has 4 rotary switches on it, two 5 position and two 10 position (to make 59 hours and 59 minutes), all with broken off knobs. I've had no luck finding replacements, may have to bodge something unless anyone knows better. You can see from the solder pin pattern they might be 3-pole...

You can see from these that there are a couple of factory hacks here, the 7-segment LEDs are plugged into DIP sockets, which are plugged into DIP sockets soldered to the PCB. Nice way to get your standoff distance! The ribbon cable core that's snipped is because the header hasn't enough ways! (it links through to a D15)

Lastly, here's the output stage, didn't pull the board out to check but I'm guessing the caps are in series to meet the 2.5kV output rating, though I doubt it'll take much current draw to make ripple pretty nasty, even at 40mA (the nominal maximum for the 100W output rating).

The dented T03 can seems to be cosmetic, it tested out fine so I powered the thing up

It took a couple of attempts (and RTFM   ::)  ) to get an output, as I discovered it has optical sensors in the output jacks and won't switch the output on if there's no jack present. It uses recessed but unshrouded 4mm bananas, so until I get the 10kV rated cable I ordered for making the Jacobs ladder with that neon sign transformer I got, and can make some safe leads, 400VDC is as far as I'd like to go... those green leads I used in the pic are cheap crappy ones, no way I'm trusting the insulation at kV levels.
It also shuts off if it detects earth leakage currents above 0.5mA, which is a nice safety feature, though since I'm not Big Clive, I'm not inclined to test it on my person...

Of course, with this and that neon sign transformer, now I need to get myself a voltmeter that can read 10 or 15kV...   :palm:
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47910 on: January 26, 2020, 12:56:52 pm »
Oh, thats a bummer but, as say with the DC system all coming from the source like that, it is easier to resolve on a temporary basis. I think it has a thermal fuse embedded in the winding so it has probably been subjected to a reduced airflow at some recently and overheated. The Teac audio units employ that method and if anything gets stacked on top of, blocking the air vents, the thermal fuse pops open and disconnects the supply. The only solution is to replace the transformer which is more than likely unobtainium so a donor machine is required.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #47911 on: January 26, 2020, 01:24:59 pm »
Of course, with this and that neon sign transformer, now I need to get myself a voltmeter that can read 10 or 15kV...   :palm:[/color][/b]

I do have one, but they aren't common.

You can also consider a HV probe attachment for any 10Mohm meter; they are fairly easy to come by at auction or new for ~£75.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #47912 on: January 26, 2020, 01:39:53 pm »
I might just make a voltage divider so I can use one of my usual meters.

Oh that reminds me, I need some recommendations for HV epoxy for sealing terminations on stuff like this.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #47913 on: January 26, 2020, 01:46:05 pm »

Oh that reminds me, I need some recommendations for HV epoxy for sealing terminations on stuff like this.

At those voltages materials behave "strangely". There's a chance you might find the full voltage in places you don't want it.

Useful source: http://hvstuff.com/
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 01:47:45 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47914 on: January 26, 2020, 01:51:42 pm »
Oh, thats a bummer but, as say with the DC system all coming from the source like that, it is easier to resolve on a temporary basis. I think it has a thermal fuse embedded in the winding so it has probably been subjected to a reduced airflow at some recently and overheated. The Teac audio units employ that method and if anything gets stacked on top of, blocking the air vents, the thermal fuse pops open and disconnects the supply. The only solution is to replace the transformer which is more than likely unobtainium so a donor machine is required.

Might be possible to open the transformer and have a look inside?   With a bit of luck, the thermal fuse might be accessible somehow...

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47915 on: January 26, 2020, 01:56:24 pm »
Working my way through the Heathkit C3U and all the caps on it check out OK but the resistors have drifted massively thus maybe accounting for the differing voltages so last night I made a list of what I needed and ordered from a local seller on eBay.  Only lives a couple of streets away and today, he kindly popped the order through my letter box. I think that such excellent service needs to shouted about when it happens, so here goes, the seller goes under the name of MS Graphics. I have used them on a number of occasions and can highly recommend them.

Anyway apart from the resistors drifting, I also noted some changes from the schematic, these being on 5V, 25V and 150V settings which schematic shows should have 2.2K, 8.2K and 22K fitted but actually had 1.1K (giving me 3V), 37.3K (91.5V) and 6.9K (108V), so it will be interesting to see what the end results will be once the new ones are fitted, all are 1%, old ones were 10%.  Photos to follow.
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #47916 on: January 26, 2020, 02:25:47 pm »
2x 9V Block Lithium for smoke detectors, can be a solution.
The little instrument have Opt.1 = PSU so the battery is only for on the road.
Testing R is also possible without battery inside.

Mine runs on mains only in the shop. It also came with option "01". There was an Eveready in it when I got it, probably the original as fitted on delivery. Completely dead, but no leakage. 

For portable I'm finding myself using the 974A more and more. Been chasing an intermittent error in the emissions sensor/actuator circuitry in the car, it's due for inspection and I'd like to go there without a problem light on.. A cable that can go from 0,3Ω to 6Ω and back at it's own will, fitted to an engine, yay.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 03:13:11 pm by mansaxel »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #47917 on: January 26, 2020, 03:11:39 pm »
Having tek stuff around means inevitable failure  :-DD

Found a 24V 3A meanwell lump in the cupboard. Going to see if I can retrofit it to the scope

Edit: well that was easy. There is a 2.1mm DC jack on the back, albeit wired so that negative is in the middle. Used my K2 charging lead with the PL330 and sorted.

It doesn't take a whole lot of power. 1A at 24V when graticule illumination is on. 850mA when it's not.

I like your new combi-scope.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, bd139, Kosmic, AVGresponding

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47918 on: January 26, 2020, 03:21:00 pm »
Hahaha.

Ok so I felt sorry for that cute HM307 and bought it :palm:

Totally useless 10MHz single channel scope but it has CT and XY features. It'll probably end up as a display for various simple low frequency analogue things i build.

Edit: did i say it was cute. It's cute. That's the excuse  :-DD
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 03:23:59 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: grizewald, alextwin007

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #47919 on: January 26, 2020, 03:23:34 pm »
Hands up anyone who's surprised.....

** crickets **

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #47920 on: January 26, 2020, 03:41:59 pm »
Every mother sez their baby is cute.  :-DD

Do I spy some hash or noise on that base line trace or is it just dirt on the screen?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #47921 on: January 26, 2020, 03:46:49 pm »

You are a whole lot braver than I am. No way would you catch me fooling around with something like that.  :scared:

And as mentioned. Get one of these:

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47922 on: January 26, 2020, 04:04:40 pm »
Do I spy some hash or noise on that base line trace or is it just dirt on the screen?

Probably both  :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47923 on: January 26, 2020, 04:15:12 pm »

Might be possible to open the transformer and have a look inside?   With a bit of luck, the thermal fuse might be accessible somehow...

it probably is. I can't be arsed with it at the moment. I'm hoping another spares unit comes along via ebay or hamfests this year first.

The transformer was quite a noisy one so I reckon it was on its last legs anyway. It's completely silent now with no hint of any noise at all.

Offline chronos42

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #47924 on: January 26, 2020, 04:39:05 pm »
Hahaha.

Ok so I felt sorry for that cute HM307 and bought it :palm:

Totally useless 10MHz single channel scope but it has CT and XY features. It'll probably end up as a display for various simple low frequency analogue things i build.

Edit: did i say it was cute. It's cute. That's the excuse  :-DD

That was my very first scope, bought with my first self-earned money in 1975. Good enough for repairing radios and TV sets.

The following users thanked this post: Martin.M, Specmaster, bd139

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf