Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14549360 times)

Wolfgang, MVSantos and 22 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #47975 on: January 26, 2020, 11:35:46 pm »
mnem
Vern is working on a recipe that has both... *wibble*

Both...and some ganja?  :-DD
As this conversation crosses international borders, I can neither confirm nor deny the THC content of said confections.  >:D

mnem
"Dave's not here, ma-aan..."
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: grizewald

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #47976 on: January 26, 2020, 11:51:37 pm »
mnem
Vern is working on a recipe that has both... *wibble*

Both...and some ganja?  :-DD
As this conversation crosses international borders, I can neither confirm nor deny the THC content of said confections.  >:D

mnem

Aah Memories  ;D or at least I think they are ........

3700X/5700X combo rocks Hexen II with a touch to spare.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47977 on: January 26, 2020, 11:56:40 pm »
What's that running at? About a million fps?  :-DD

Decided I haven't had a decent mid life crisis yet. Looking at bikes (pedal ones) on ebay  :palm:

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47978 on: January 27, 2020, 12:04:16 am »

Decided I haven't had a decent mid life crisis yet. Looking at bikes (pedal ones) on ebay  :palm:

If you are looking at bikes look at Flat Bars (also called City Bikes) with 28-32mm tires for your urban cruiser. AVOID MTB type full suspension bikes as they are bricks. Also if you can run to them Disc Brakes are much safer in particular in the rain or when a car door magically opens in front of you  :horse:

Chain Reaction are good to deal with https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/hybrid-city-bikes?f=2260&sort=pricelow Also add a pair of padded baggy shorts for your Ass and bits comfort  :-+
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #47979 on: January 27, 2020, 12:06:25 am »

You need at least an engine on it to call it a mid life crisis.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47980 on: January 27, 2020, 12:14:06 am »
mnem
Aah Memories  ;D or at least I think they are ........

3700X/5700X combo rocks Hexen II with a touch to spare.

Yeah, I'll admit I'm REALLY beginning to regret my decision to wait for the RX5800. Fukkin' rumor mills anyways; 3 different times I've heard the 58s were just days away... Now part of me wants to wait until they do come out and buy a 2070 SUPER just to flip AMD the . (And get the 2070 Super somewhere close to the original advertised MSRP of $499 |O)

mnem
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 12:28:07 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47981 on: January 27, 2020, 12:22:38 am »

If you are looking at bikes look at Flat Bars (also called City Bikes) with 28-32mm tires for your urban cruiser. AVOID MTB type full suspension bikes as they are bricks. Also if you can run to them Disc Brakes are much safer in particular in the rain or when a car door magically opens in front of you  :horse:

Chain Reaction are good to deal with https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/hybrid-city-bikes?f=2260&sort=pricelow Also add a pair of padded baggy shorts for your Ass and bits comfort  :-+

This isn't a new thing for me - don't worry. Nice to see chain reaction cycles there as well as I wrote half their e-commerce platform a number of years ago :-DD (think Wiggle bought them in the end)

Looking at Dawes Karakum - tourer with butterfly bars. No discs - not a fan. Better control but difficult to fix on the road side. Also a lot cheaper than I remember they were new so fuck it - better investment than an Elecraft PA and half the price. Will take front pannier frames off.

Also might tempt me to cycle to hamfests which aren't too far so it'll stop be buying large things I have nowhere to put  :-DD

You need at least an engine on it to call it a mid life crisis.

I am the engine  :-DD
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 12:24:51 am by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47982 on: January 27, 2020, 12:36:03 am »
...Now part of me wants to wait until they do come out and buy a 2070 SUPER just to flip AMD the . (And get the 2070 Super somewhere close to the original advertised MSRP of $499 |O)

mnem

Oh fuck me; they're finally back in stock... and only a $60 asshole tax (shipping) for me living in Canada. *wibble*

mnem

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47983 on: January 27, 2020, 12:44:44 am »
Looks like a good shopping cart / TEA transporter  ;)

Because of the subsidized post from the UK it is cheaper to buy Bike bits from the UK in particular clothing.

Good Shimano Hydraulic Discs are now very affordable and as I have been known to play in the puddles and rain well worth the few $.

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47984 on: January 27, 2020, 12:48:04 am »
...Now part of me wants to wait until they do come out and buy a 2070 SUPER just to flip AMD the . (And get the 2070 Super somewhere close to the original advertised MSRP of $499 |O)

mnem

Oh fuck me; they're finally back in stock... and only a $60 asshole tax (shipping) for me living in Canada. *wibble*

mnem

As Ray Tracing is currently a WOFTAM unless you have a 2080 Super and like the handful of games supported by it paying the NVIDIA tax isn't really worth it. Gigabyte 5700XT OC is a good thing without breaking the bank.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #47985 on: January 27, 2020, 01:24:45 am »

Also might tempt me to cycle to hamfests which aren't too far so it'll stop be buying large things I have nowhere to put  :-DD
Until you get one of these....
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 01:26:51 am by Brumby »

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Online Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #47986 on: January 27, 2020, 01:28:46 am »
Hahaha.

Ok so I felt sorry for that cute HM307 and bought it :palm:

Totally useless 10MHz single channel scope but it has CT and XY features. It'll probably end up as a display for various simple low frequency analogue things i build.

Edit: did i say it was cute. It's cute. That's the excuse  :-DD

Yes, tiny scopes are cute. 10 MHz bandwidth with X-Y mode isn't totally useless. You can use it to adjust internal clock references. ;D

Some pranksters wanted 250€ on eBay for a defective version of this pet scope.
WTF ! 100 bucks more and you have a new Rigol DS1054Z !

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47987 on: January 27, 2020, 01:40:02 am »
Well I think I can call the Heathkit C3U done, all that was really wrong with it was the dreaded Selenium rectifier was still in situ, so that had to go, all the caps in it were tested on my other cap testers and were found to be in good shape, only 2 electrolytic caps in the whole thing, all others where either Mica or polyester, but all were checked out. Switches were dirty so a good dousing with Servisol cured those and also the pots, checked the resistors and voltage divider chain on the range switches miles off, as was a 470K on the power factor switch and 2 x 1Ms on the magic eye socket, so replacements were ordered.

When they were delivered by supplier in person this afternoon, I set about removing the old ones. What bastard job that was and while doing it, I came to the conclusion that each case where they had drifted, was where ever they were mounted with others sharing the same tags/connections. I thought they drifted as a result of excessive heat travelling up the lead from the soldering process, so replacements were given more space (plenty in the case so no problem). All went well until I realised I had ordered resistors to suit the American version, so I cobbled some together from my RS sale win to approximate the missing values  :palm: but it all worked within 0.3k so thats OK.

Removing the old selenium rectifier from its tubular sleeve came next and was replaced with a IN4007 and 20K 1/2 watt resistor in series, all stuffed back in the tube from the old rectifier for protection  with decent airflow through it. The HT only draws 3.5mA so 1/2 watt is heaps big enough for the dropper. Now the B+ is up from 114V to a respectable 145V and the open circuit leakage voltage readings are 5V = 7.5V, 25v = 36V, 150V = 110V, 250V = 190V and 450V = 370V. According notes on the web from others who have gone through the similar restorations, this is normal for these testers. The actual current flowing through the voltage divider chain is minimal and when testing a capacitor for leakage the voltage collapses to almost zero and slowly builds up again so there not much of a chance to blow a cap by giving it too many volts because the test switch is sprung loaded and has to be held in the test position and if the magic eye does not close instantly and open very quickly then the cap is leaky and is to be thrown away and that is determined in about 3 seconds so the cap never sees the full voltage.

Tomorrow I'll give the case a clean up and it joins my bench as a permanent part of my test gear. It was originally considered as a doer upper and flipping again to fund other purchases, but not now, its managed to impress me  :-+

The 470k here was 490k

was replaced.

the 1Megs here were replaced

The voltage divider as it was

As it is now with plenty of space to apply heat sink to the leads while soldering and also the botch to make it UK spec.

The IN4007 and 20k are inside the original tube from the Selenium rectifier.

A view of the chassis from below, nothing in it really.

Here is the view from above (this is not my photo, its a photo from the web) as you can see, there is plenty of space.

Here it is testing a 22k resistor.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: med6753, bd139, Kosmic

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47988 on: January 27, 2020, 01:41:40 am »

mnem

Oh fuck me; they're finally back in stock... and only a $60 US$114 asshole tax (shipping and IMPORT) for me living in Canada. *wibble* Effing Ow...

mnem

As Ray Tracing is currently a WOFTAM unless you have a 2080 Super and like the handful of games supported by it paying the NVIDIA tax isn't really worth it. Gigabyte 5700XT OC is a good thing without breaking the bank.

Not high enough on the food chain for my needs; sorry.    1440/165FPS quadcopter flight sims heavy on real-time physics and HD VR Samsung Odyssey+. 2070 Super is my MINIMUM requirement; I WANT 2080 power but can't make myself do it, even if I had it to spend so frivolously. Adding the US$44 Shipping Plus $70 Duty is making my balls ache big time tho; especially when I was TRYING to buy one before I left the US where it would've been $499. PERIOD. It's really making me rethink the offerings on Amazon.ca.

[EDIT] That is why I originally decided to hold out for the 5800s... the 5700 just isn't enough GPU, Ray Tracing or not. I REALLY feel like AMD is fucking the Gamer set... all these years we put up with being the "good enough" build; they finally release a processor that can knock Intel off its pedestal and then leave us twisting in the wind for almost a year with a third-rate GPU (5th or 8th if you count Quadro & Titan) as their best offering. |O Back in the day, I sold enough gross tonnage of ATi graphics cards to pretty much single-handedly keep them afloat; I feel a  bit invested, I guess.  :-\ [/EDIT]

mnem
 ::)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 01:59:19 am by mnementh »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47989 on: January 27, 2020, 01:47:58 am »

mnem

Oh fuck me; they're finally back in stock... and only a $60 US$114 asshole tax (shipping and IMPORT) for me living in Canada. *wibble* Effing Ow...

mnem

Not high enough on the food chain for my needs; sorry.    1440/165FPS quadcopter flight sims heavy on real-time physics and HD VR Samsung Odyssey+. 2070 Super is my MINIMUM requirement; I WANT 2080 power but can't make myself do it, even if I had it to spend so frivolously. Adding the US$44 Shipping Plus $70 Duty is making my balls ache big time tho; especially when I was TRYING to buy one before I left the US where it would've been $499. PERIOD. It's really making me rethink the offerings on Amazon.ca.

mnem

Hmm, we Brits will be joining you in the dreaded tax situation next year when we actually exit from the EU. The joke of it is that in both cases, we have done this to ourselves.  |O :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47990 on: January 27, 2020, 03:21:04 am »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #47991 on: January 27, 2020, 03:26:51 am »
You must be feeling better mnem.
So can we stop polishing that bullet with your name on it ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #47992 on: January 27, 2020, 03:38:39 am »
he's just a carrier
I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #47993 on: January 27, 2020, 03:50:10 am »
What you are saying...

...as Ray Tracing is currently a WOFTAM unless you have a 2080 Super and like the handful of games supported by it paying the NVIDIA tax isn't really worth it Gigabyte 5700XT OC is a good thing without breaking the bank 1440/165FPS quadcopter flight sims heavy on real-time physics and HD VR Samsung Odyssey+ 2070 Super is my MINIMUM requirement I WANT 2080 power but can't make myself do it, even if I had it to spend so frivolously That is why I originally decided to hold out for the 5800s the 5700 just isn't enough GPU Ray Tracing or not I REALLY feel like AMD is fucking the Gamer set all these years we put up with being the good enough build they finally release a processor that can knock Intel off its pedestal and then leave us twisting in the wind for almost a year with a third-rate GPU 5th or 8th if you count Quadro & Titan as their best offering Back in the day I sold enough gross tonnage of ATi graphics cards to pretty much single-handedly keep them afloat...

What I am hearing:

:blah:    :blah:    :blah:

i have had no freakin' idea what you all are talking about for like the last two dozen posts.    :-DD
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 03:56:31 am by worsthorse »
specialization is for insects.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #47994 on: January 27, 2020, 04:00:19 am »
What you are saying...

...as Ray Tracing is currently a WOFTAM unless you have a 2080 Super and like the handful of games supported by it paying the NVIDIA tax isn't really worth it Gigabyte 5700XT OC is a good thing without breaking the bank 1440/165FPS quadcopter flight sims heavy on real-time physics and HD VR Samsung Odyssey+ 2070 Super is my MINIMUM requirement I WANT 2080 power but can't make myself do it, even if I had it to spend so frivolously That is why I originally decided to hold out for the 5800s the 5700 just isn't enough GPU Ray Tracing or not I REALLY feel like AMD is fucking the Gamer set all these years we put up with being the good enough build they finally release a processor that can knock Intel off its pedestal and then leave us twisting in the wind for almost a year with a third-rate GPU 5th or 8th if you count Quadro & Titan as their best offering Back in the day I sold enough gross tonnage of ATi graphics cards to pretty much single-handedly keep them afloat...

What I am hearing:

i have had no freakin' idea what you all are talking about for like the last two dozen posts.    :-DD

I'm with you. They all need to go get one of these and go play in the corner. It even runs Flight Sim!  :P :P :P :P :-DD :-DD

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47995 on: January 27, 2020, 04:04:07 am »
Yeah, and that's not just sucky lithograph resolution; the graphics looked that bad IRL too.  :-DD

mnem
*Still dreaming of going to have liquid-cooling on my GPU*

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #47996 on: January 27, 2020, 04:13:38 am »
Yeah, and that's not just sucky lithograph resolution; the graphics looked that bad IRL too.  :-DD

mnem
*Still dreaming of going to have liquid-cooling on my GPU*

Want liquid cooling? Here you go. IBM Z14.  But it won't cost you the thrift store $32 USD.....try $32M USD. But you'll be king of the hill and tell everyone else to go fuck themselves.  >:D :-DD

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #47997 on: January 27, 2020, 04:25:24 am »
What you are saying...

What I am hearing:

I'm with you. They all need to go get one of these and go play in the corner. It even runs Flight Sim!  :P :P :P :P :-DD :-DD

I could never land that goddamned thing.  Think I managed to find my way back to the airport a handful of times, but never managed to put it on the ground in one piece.  Flying machines are inherently analog devices, and hitting keys to move controls and throttle just are not the same.  And you look out the side windows by turning your head, not hitting ctrl-arrow or whatever the hell it was.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47998 on: January 27, 2020, 05:21:03 am »
I have had various Flight Sims in particular for learning Heli Aerobatics with less $ pain but they still aren't a substitute for the real thing or real air. If I was getting seriously into Helis or going down the path of racing quads again maybe but for Fixed wing they are a bit pointless.

Besides here in the Sunny land of Oz we can fly all year round outdoors unlike some  >:D

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #47999 on: January 27, 2020, 07:08:25 am »
Re flight sims - as about 14yo lad I recall playing moon lander on my father's department pdp-11 (I think) - in those days the doors to the university were open - and so were the minds of those working there.
Re Dave's 235 meter - I also think it is a corker - not huge but with a great display - not crazy $ but not el crapo. The 869 I think is bloated like a lot of other newer  'HH' DMMs.
@bitseeker re the wrong trigger input - I recall spending the better part of two days 'fault' tracing a HP 3467 meter - I had unknowingly put in into 'test mode' - it then generates codes for HPs signal analyzer probes, man I was so peeved when it dawned on my little brain that I had been chasing nothing.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, AVGresponding

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf