Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14557803 times)

K0ELB and 30 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #48000 on: January 27, 2020, 07:42:45 am »
Yeah, and that's not just sucky lithograph resolution; the graphics looked that bad IRL too.  :-DD

mnem
*Still dreaming of going to have liquid-cooling on my GPU*
   Want liquid cooling? Here you go. IBM Z14.  But it won't cost you the thrift store $32 USD.....try $32M USD. But you'll be king of the hill and tell everyone else to go fuck themselves.  >:D :-DD

For all that raw computing horsepower, it still won't do 2K 3D graphics at 144FPS or drive my VR at full-res/110FPS. A totally different architecture... there's a reason there is so much software that offloads compute load to the GPU whenever possible, particularly where real-time physics are concerned.

Now if I were SERVING a real-time quad racing world, damn skippy I'd want that bitch.  :-DD

"Now we get down to the tacks of brass..." *cracks knuckles* "What is your center...?"

No, wait... wrong movie. *changes channel*

The real bitch-mode here for me is this: With the asshole tax for living in Canada, the best deal for me on a RTX2070 Super is still to buy the OEM model from the NVidia site at a cost of ~US$620. There's a Gigabyte version that's $80 less on NewEgg.ca, but OOS. :palm:

VR & 2K/4K 3D real-time physics rendering are just the worst grinding, slogging, evil workloads on a video card; and the VR enthusiast sites actually recommend GPU liquid-cooling as the only way to maintain stable framerates. PERIOD. Since I'm already liquid-cooled on my CPU, I really want to treat my new shiny GPU a lot better than I've been treating my RX580; 1080P @110FPS has it just screaming after about 60 seconds, and with interpolation it looks like shit on both my monitor and my VR goggles, plus it always EVENTUALLY thermal throttles to some extent.

So... if I swallow that bitter pill, I'm left with trying to find a a liquid-cooled 2070 GPU (they only make a couple, and they're "hybrid", meaning RAM & VRM are still fan-cooled) or do it myself... add $300 plus replumb the whole PC or around $180 if I get an AIO DIY kit just for the GPU, and they all have... you guessed it... hybrid cooling on the GPU. Typical cost for just the custom water block for full-liquid GPU cooling is ~$200 and up. |O

Meanwhile, This is just taunting me on NewEgg... 100% Liquid-cooled, 2x the performance and all the I/O I need for BOTH my VR headset 1440P, AND TV monitors, plus add a couple extra just for shits & grins. Just more... everything. And drop-in easy; take out 2 case fans in the front and drop in the rad. Boom. For about $220 more than the plain-vanilla RTX2070 Super.

But... New rumors of Navi 23-family cards; another manufacturer has filed EEC marks for RX 5800/5900 family products. :o So then... do I want to wait some more and be a beta tester on ANOTHER AMD product (and maybe finally see the fruits of Adrenaline Integration), or just suck it up and get the big easy now...?

mnem
 |O
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 08:03:24 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48001 on: January 27, 2020, 07:47:58 am »
I have had various Flight Sims in particular for learning Heli Aerobatics with less $ pain but they still aren't a substitute for the real thing or real air. If I was getting seriously into Helis or going down the path of racing quads again maybe but for Fixed wing they are a bit pointless.

Besides here in the Sunny land of Oz we can fly all year round outdoors unlike some  >:D

That's exactly what I'm in it for... and maybe a little Beat Saber, hopefully without it grinding down to a skipped frame clusterflop half the time... :palm:

The current crop of racing drone sims are worlds better than RealFlight ever dreamt of, even if the graphics are a little weak. The physics are getting a lot closer; good enough that the pros use 'em for practice, with their own radios. This is what I built this machine for; and why I went BTTW on the MB.
I knew when I started I was probably gonna spend as much on the GPU as the whole rest of the damned machine; now I just keep beating my head against that reality.

mnem
Stick time, stick time, stick time...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 08:04:18 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #48002 on: January 27, 2020, 07:58:13 am »
A little early morning humor (humour) for our British friends.

First there was Brexit. Now there's Megxit.  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: grizewald

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48003 on: January 27, 2020, 08:45:59 am »
What you are saying...

...as Ray Tracing is currently a WOFTAM unless you have a 2080 Super and like the handful of games supported by it paying the NVIDIA tax isn't really worth it Gigabyte 5700XT OC is a good thing without breaking the bank 1440/165FPS quadcopter flight sims heavy on real-time physics and HD VR Samsung Odyssey+ 2070 Super is my MINIMUM requirement I WANT 2080 power but can't make myself do it, even if I had it to spend so frivolously That is why I originally decided to hold out for the 5800s the 5700 just isn't enough GPU Ray Tracing or not I REALLY feel like AMD is fucking the Gamer set all these years we put up with being the good enough build they finally release a processor that can knock Intel off its pedestal and then leave us twisting in the wind for almost a year with a third-rate GPU 5th or 8th if you count Quadro & Titan as their best offering Back in the day I sold enough gross tonnage of ATi graphics cards to pretty much single-handedly keep them afloat...

What I am hearing:

:blah:    :blah:    :blah:

i have had no freakin' idea what you all are talking about for like the last two dozen posts.    :-DD

I'm with you. They all need to go get one of these and go play in the corner. It even runs Flight Sim!  :P :P :P :P :-DD :-DD

Nah, my mobile phone out performs that  :popcorn:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48004 on: January 27, 2020, 09:12:15 am »
@Brumby: Bike trailer. Now there's an idea. Looks Tek 7000 sized :-DD

@Specmaster: Re C-3U. Nice job. Are you going to bounce it now? Another dead one went for £93 yesterday :-+

@med: Re IBM Z14. If it requires plumbing I'm out :-DD. I don't get the value proposition of the IBM mainframes these days. They're really expensive, require International Buggery Merchant consultants, you need at least two on different sites and the only people who know how to program them are in Hyderabad and fuck up everything they go near.  :-DD

@beanflying: Re Shimano Hydraulic Discs, I know someone who got left in the dark after a cylinder went so will probably skip them. Definitely superior in the wet though. Also don't cock up your rims.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #48005 on: January 27, 2020, 09:13:38 am »
Also might tempt me to cycle to hamfests which aren't too far so it'll stop be buying large things I have nowhere to put  :-DD

You need one of these standard Dutch "cargo bikes" with an awning to keep rain off new acquisitions, also available without electric motors, or specially sized to limit acquisitions...

I am the engine  :-DD

My daughter keeps her cargo bike here:

« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 09:20:43 am by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48006 on: January 27, 2020, 09:19:38 am »
Ugh I couldn't ride one of them. They are the staple vehicle of the wonko lot around here. Usually sprouting four skeletal children in the box on the front and "meat is murder" written on it somewhere, wobbling down the middle of the road with a gammon faced twat in a range rover 2 inches off the back of them.

Edit: motorlegs looks pretty cool. There's a place like that down the road from me by the river called Blazing Saddles. Right next to a numerous bars and the Thames. What could go wrong?  :-DD
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 09:22:23 am by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48007 on: January 27, 2020, 09:29:53 am »

Also might tempt me to cycle to hamfests which aren't too far so it'll stop be buying large things I have nowhere to put  :-DD
Until you get one of these....

ISTR those being available from Aldi or Lidl on the usual intermittent basis.

For travelling in London, the fastest way is on a Brompton. Why? Because you can also take it on the tube, in busses/coaches, and park it under your desk. Takes 30s to assemble/disassemble.

No, I haven't ridden mine inside Canary Wharf tube station, oh no, never ever.

Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

The following users thanked this post: Henrik_V

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48008 on: January 27, 2020, 09:37:22 am »
Ugh I couldn't ride one of them. They are the staple vehicle of the wonko lot around here. Usually sprouting four skeletal children in the box on the front and "meat is murder" written on it somewhere, wobbling down the middle of the road with a gammon faced twat in a range rover 2 inches off the back of them.

Edit: motorlegs looks pretty cool. There's a place like that down the road from me by the river called Blazing Saddles. Right next to a numerous bars and the Thames. What could go wrong?  :-DD

Yes, Dave in Motorlegs is fun.

My daughter has a car, but her bike has a number plate "1L3SS CAR". If fully laden, her cargo bike would weigh 250kg :(

As for fumes and the probability of squished kids, these "unpowered Sinclair C5s" give me the screaming heebie-jeebies...

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48009 on: January 27, 2020, 09:52:00 am »
Yeah those things are awful. I saw one turn over with two kids in it once. Poor buggers were pretty bashed up  :--

You have to be careful with some bikes. I think you've actually got a 135Kg weight limit or you get in trouble. I doubt anyone will bother enforcing it though.

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #48010 on: January 27, 2020, 09:57:13 am »
Most of the better bike trailers are rated between 50-60kg and the height keeps the kids ages to small 4 year olds by themselves or two smaller ones. Back in the dim dark past I hired bikes along with the Kite business. Next Step up was the Tag alongs from 4 and up.

I threatened to add a little spark unit to the seats to keep the kids peddling  >:D

Really good way to teach kids the road rules and some bike basics without the veering into traffic.

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48011 on: January 27, 2020, 10:24:57 am »
Really good way to teach kids the road rules and some bike basics without the veering into traffic.

As an old school glider instructor teaching my daughter to fly said, "you've got to expect to lose a few". I grinned.

She really like him because he didn't take control unless it was really necessary :)

I remember watching her go to the wrong end of the runway before landing, realise her mistake, and return to the normal end at about a third the normal height (200ft) when turning onto finals. I hoped she wasn't flying it, but she was. He ticked off her "low energy approach" box :)

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #48012 on: January 27, 2020, 10:30:50 am »
Last time I was up in a KA7 on winch tow the landing approach for the instructors was under 10' over the barb wire boundary fence and stopped 50-100' after it to save pushing the glider back. Even given the nice handling I would call that zero energy approach. The newbies on Solo or in charge were basically don't do as I do do as you are told  ::)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48013 on: January 27, 2020, 11:12:45 am »
Last time I was up in a KA7 on winch tow the landing approach for the instructors was under 10' over the barb wire boundary fence and stopped 50-100' after it to save pushing the glider back. Even given the nice handling I would call that zero energy approach. The newbies on Solo or in charge were basically don't do as I do do as you are told  ::)

I can believe it!

It is always fun watching the "Full Cat" instructors have their annual checks; the approaches can be entertaining.

Even as a mere ordinary pilot (inc. pre solo), I always enjoyed the instructors taking control and putting me in strange positions/attitudes before saying "you have control, get us back safely".

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48014 on: January 27, 2020, 12:57:04 pm »
@bd139, Not bouncing it at this stage at least, I think it provides a useful test nothing else that I can see provides and that is the leakage test by as you said, chucking some serious voltage at the caps and the magic eye shows real quickly if the cap is quick to respond or not.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48015 on: January 27, 2020, 03:54:40 pm »

As an old school glider instructor teaching my daughter to fly said, "you've got to expect to lose a few". I grinned. She really like him because he didn't take control unless it was really necessary :)

I remember watching her go to the wrong end of the runway before landing, realize her mistake, and return to the normal end at about a third the normal height (200ft) when turning onto finals. I hoped she wasn't flying it, but she was. He ticked off her "low energy approach" box :)

LOL...  :-DD

I just imagined this scene with Tommy Lee Jones character from Space Cowboys as the instructor... I still can't stop chuckling to myself. ;)

mnem
Thanks, I needed that.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #48016 on: January 27, 2020, 03:58:54 pm »
 NASA TEA time! Hubble!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/261090432601

Just only 75000.- US Dollar.  :scared:
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48017 on: January 27, 2020, 04:09:20 pm »

That's a surprisingly good analogy. A low key, no drama, kind of person, but he took safety very seriously.

On that particular flight he also said that, when she was going the wrong way, he was thinking "I wonder when she is going to realise...?".

As an old school glider instructor teaching my daughter to fly said, "you've got to expect to lose a few". I grinned. She really like him because he didn't take control unless it was really necessary :)

I remember watching her go to the wrong end of the runway before landing, realize her mistake, and return to the normal end at about a third the normal height (200ft) when turning onto finals. I hoped she wasn't flying it, but she was. He ticked off her "low energy approach" box :)

LOL...  :-DD

I just imagined this scene with Tommy Lee Jones character from Space Cowboys as the instructor... I still can't stop chuckling to myself. ;)

mnem
Thanks, I needed that.

He has been an instructor since the 50s, and used to fly jets with very pointed noses (can't remember whether they were Vixens, Venoms, or Vampires).

When in a glider with another pilot, they realised their combined age exceeded 150 (would probably be 160 now).
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 04:15:05 pm by tggzzz »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #48018 on: January 27, 2020, 04:12:46 pm »
Switching gears and back on the 485 again. Attempt to resolve no 50 ohm input on either channel plus the gain on the 1M section is low.

First I verified that all the PSU voltages were in spec. They are.

Started looking over the front end attenuator section. This is going to be a complex troubleshooting. The relay plus the IC that controls the 50 ohm switching is on the BACKSIDE of the attenuator board. Pictured is the cover removed off channel 2. Apparently that board has to be pulled to gain access. I still have to RTFM to confirm this but there doesn't appear to be any other way. Once I RTFM I think first I'm going to practice on the parts mule since I may need parts off it anyway. And another thing that's a little troubling is the red "overload" light is not on for either channel yet the 50 ohm is FUBAR.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Specmaster, Kosmic

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #48019 on: January 27, 2020, 04:39:42 pm »
NASA TEA time! Hubble!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/261090432601

Just only 75000.- US Dollar.  :scared:

I always wonder about people who post crazily expensive things (such as this, for $75k plus shipping) with miserably blurry or pixilated low quality photos.  Seriously?  You can't get a better picture than that of something you're asking high five figures for?  WTF?

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #48020 on: January 27, 2020, 04:43:52 pm »
More.....I'm beginning to suspect an interconnect issue. Both channels have identical symptoms. What would be the odds of that happening?

I need to find P1560 and P1570 and verify correct voltages before ripping anything apart.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48021 on: January 27, 2020, 05:01:15 pm »
There's overload and then there's OVERLOAD. Relay contacts welded? Front end toast? Some due somewhere with a new hair do after shoving the 50 ohm input across the line? :-DD

I'm actually glad it's not me in that Tek. I am still done  :-DD

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #48022 on: January 27, 2020, 05:09:56 pm »
I'm actually glad it's not me in that Tek. I am still done  :-DD

The question is: how long?  :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #48023 on: January 27, 2020, 05:13:28 pm »
I'll be damned. I found it! My suspicion was correct. Fried R2021 (10 ohm) due to shorted C2021 (47uf) bastard tant. This provides +15VDC DCPL to the 50 ohm relay.

I'll post up as soon as fixed.  :-+
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 06:29:20 pm by med6753 »

The following users thanked this post: edavid, Zucca, bd139, Kosmic

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48024 on: January 27, 2020, 05:16:42 pm »
You must be feeling better mnem.
So can we stop polishing that bullet fire extinguisher with your name on it ?

TFTFY
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf